Sports: Mets Fans - Opening Day!!! The season's over...

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
* Its only ONE GAME ...relax! I still respect Mets fans because they not only came out big to opening day but support their team no matter what, my co-worker is DYING over here!!! Ya'll bullpen is trash though damn!!!

Nationals 9 - Mets 7

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/fWfbD5Z5nZs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>​

Sandy Alderson targets 90 wins

NEW YORK -- General manager Sandy Alderson did not shy away Monday from his now-public ambition for the New York Mets to win 90 games this season. Still, Alderson stopped short of offering any assurances.

The Mets have produced five straight losing seasons and have a roughly $89 million payroll, leading fans and media to respond with skepticism to Alderson's statement, which originally was told to team officials in a private meeting and subsequently leaked.

Alderson insisted a tangible win total was important. In the past, owner Fred Wilpon has offered such nonspecific goals as "meaningful games in September."

"Was I surprised by the skepticism? Am I concern about the optics? No," Alderson said. "It's time for us to get better. What you can measure, you can improve. I can't really measure competitiveness.

"You have to understand the context within which the statement was made and the purpose behind it if the skepticism is, 'How are they going to win 90 games?' It wasn't a guarantee. It wasn't a prediction. It was a challenge, OK? A challenge to all of us internally: How do we get there?"

giphy.gif

Alderson said he did not intend, but was not totally surprised, that the 90-win goal became public.

"I'm never thrilled when private conversations are disclosed publicly, which happens all too frequently in connection with the Mets. Shame on me," he said. "Let's put it this way: Any time anything is said -- anything of an interesting or somewhat controversial nature -- it tends to become public. So shame on me for assuming that it wouldn't. And, actually, I didn't assume that it wouldn't. Around here you have to assume that everything that's said eventually becomes public."

:eek::eek::eek:
Alderson, who is entering his fourth season as general manager, insisted it's important for the Mets to be ambitious after consecutive 74-win seasons.

"What I want to emphasize for us it's important for us to change the conversation," Alderson said. "This team is now about being successful. Being successful is not some nebulous concept about winning or being competitive or playing meaningful games some month later in the calendar. This is about concrete expectations about what we need to do.

"The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there."

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Hang-tough Nats top Mets in 10 innings

NEW YORK -- Matt Williams managed his first regular-season game on Monday afternoon, and it was a contest he will remember for a long time, as the Nationals defeated the Mets, 9-7, in 10 innings at Citi Field.

The score was tied at 5 when Washington scored the winning run in the 10th against right-hander Jeurys Familia. With runners on second and third with one out, Ian Desmond hit a sacrifice fly to center fielder Juan Lagares, scoring Jayson Werth.

Left-hander John Lannan entered the game for New York and allowed a three-run homer to Anthony Rendon to make it a four-run game.

The winning pitcher was right-hander Aaron Barrett in his Major League debut. He pitched one shutout inning and struck out two.

After looking phenomenal in Spring Training, right-hander Stephen Strasburg was a different pitcher in the first two innings of the opener.

The Mets had runners on first and third in the first when Andrew Brown swung at a 2-2 pitch and hit a three-run homer to give New York a three-run lead.

After Adam LaRoche put Washington on the board with a two-run homer in the top of the second, the Mets added to their lead in the bottom of the inning. Travis d'Arnaud led off with a walk and advanced to second on a single by Ruben Tejada. Starting pitcher Dillon Gee then sacrificed the runners to second and third, and d'Arnaud scored on a sacrifice fly by Eric Young Jr.

That was all the damage the Mets would do against Strasburg, who would last six innings, allowing the four runs on five hits and striking out 10. Other than the second inning, the Nationals had a tough time against Gee, who pitched 6 2/3 innings and allowed four runs on four hits. At one point he retired 15 consecutive batters.

The Nationals put two more runs on the board against Gee in the top of the seventh inning. With runners on first and second and two outs, Rendon blooped a double to right field, scoring Desmond to make a 4-3 game.

It was time for Mets manager Terry Collins to go to the bullpen, and his relievers had a tough time throwing strikes. Right-hander Carlos Torres entered the game and walked Nate McLouth to load the bases. Then came left-hander Scott Rice, who walked Denard Span, sending LaRoche home to tie the score at 4.​

But the Mets would take the lead in the bottom of the eighth inning when Lagares led off the eighth inning against Tyler Clippard. Lagares swung at an 0-2 pitch and hit the ball over the wall in left-center to give New York the one-run lead.

But the Mets' bullpen couldn't hold the lead in the ninth. Bobby Parnell was on the mound when Span doubled to left-center, scoring Desmond.​

The Nationals received a scare in the second inning. After Bryce Harper walked to lead off, Desmond hit a ground ball to third baseman David Wright, who threw to second baseman Young for the force. As Young was throwing to first, his knee hit the sliding Harper in the head. Harper was down for several minutes as Williams and head athletic trainer Lee Kuntz came to his aid.

Harper would get up under his own power and remain in the game, going 1-for-4.

code_pirahna

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Bullpens been trash for the past 3 years.....we are still suffering from our owner getting caught up in the Bernie Madoff situation....

Mr. Met

So Amazin
BGOL Investor
The Mets are gonna destroy these young starting pitchers just like they destroy Johan Santana's career.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
The Mets are gonna destroy these young starting pitchers just like they destroy Johan Santana's career.

I actually don't think you have a bad coach but he mishandled the bullpen...

hey I thought D. Wright looked good the abs I saw.

Bullpens been trash for the past 3 years.....we are still suffering from our owner getting caught up in the Bernie Madoff situation....

you can't be a team in NY and have a payroll under 100 million and expect to compete with the likes of the Phillies etc.

And I really think we will NEVER know the FULL extent on the involvement / knowledge the Wilpons had about Madofff.

Brother Blues

Deceased - Nov. 4, 2015
BGOL Legend
Met fans,wait till next year....:lol:

Then,wait till the year after that...:lol:

But I do hope Granderson hits 40 homers...

Mo-Better

The R&B Master
OG Investor
The Nationals are going to win that division easily. They may even win it all, there's a lot of talent on that team.

bigdicdaddy

Rising Star
Registered
well be allright, grandy needs to turn it up, him and wright will be allright- gee pitched a good game wish i couldve went -- hope harvey comes back after allstar break

code_pirahna

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I actually don't think you have a bad coach but he mishandled the bullpen...

hey I thought D. Wright looked good the abs I saw.

you can't be a team in NY and have a payroll under 100 million and expect to compete with the likes of the Phillies etc.

And I really think we will NEVER know the FULL extent on the involvement / knowledge the Wilpons had about Madofff.

true but at the time the Madoff scheme cost us Reyes......

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
well be allright, grandy needs to turn it up, him and wright will be allright- gee pitched a good game wish i couldve went -- hope harvey comes back after allstar break

DO NOT RUSH THAT KID...

just make sure he aint out clubbing all not and ya'll be straight.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
well damn!!!

Bobby Parnell has partially torn elbow ligament, may need surgery

USATSI_7359981.jpg

Mets closer Bobby Parnell has a partially torn medial collateral ligament in his elbow, the team announced. He received a platelet-rich plasma injection and will rest for two weeks before beginning a throwing program. The team says Parnell will then be reevaluated to see if he needs surgery.

Parnell, 29, allowed one run in an inning of work on Monday, blowing the save on Opening Day. He had trouble cracking 90 mph with his fastball -- the PitchFX system classified many of his fastballs as changeups -- after averaging 95+ mph from 2010-13. It was clear he wasn't right.

Parnell had surgery to treat a herniated disc in his neck back in December and was slowed a bit in spring training. The medial collateral ligament is not the Tommy John surgery ligament, that's the ulnar collateral ligament. Regardless, surgery to repair the MCL would knock him out for an extended period of time.

In 49 games and 50 innings last season, Parnell had a 2.16 ERA (166 ERA+) with a 3.67 K/BB. He saved 22 games.

With Parnell out, Jose Valverde figures to take over as Mets closer.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on...artially-torn-elbow-ligament-may-need-surgery

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Wheeler has torn UCL in elbow

zack-wheeler-13aa.jpg

Zack Wheeler has a torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow, the team said.

“Wheeler will travel to New York today to confirm the diagnosis and discuss next steps with Dr. David Altchek at HSS,” according to a team statement.

Wheeler will likely need Tommy John surgery to repair his ligament.

He had two MRI last winter, and pitched with a similar pain most of late last season.

Brother Blues

Deceased - Nov. 4, 2015
BGOL Legend
Looks like another long summer in New York....

To be followed by a long fall,then another long winter:lol:

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
* keep ya'll fingers crossed

http://www.bgol.us/board/showthread.php?p=15278864#post15278864

-b2f82e62a06958b2.JPG

PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. — Matt Harvey will make his third start of spring training Monday, this time in Ft. Myers, Fla. against the Red Sox.

Here's what you can expect for the Mets starter.

Harvey's view about pitching against the Red Sox, who the Mets will face this season: "It's going to be good to get over there and get used to the lineup a little bit. It's nice to know the pitch counts are increasing and the workload is going up. So that's always a good sign."

What the Mets are looking for: - "Four innings, 60 pitches. Locate the baseball. He feels fresh again. Like he said, his body was a little sluggish. Still came out regular velocity last time out but up in the zone. I look for him to go out and be Matt Harvey again tomorrow. I think we'll play with the slider a little bit on the side so he'll probably mix in a few more sliders." -- pitching coach Dan Warthen

Harvey's stats so far this spring: 2 starts, 3.86 ERA, 4 2/3 innings, 5 strikeouts, 1 walk

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Zack Wheeler has tear in elbow

FORT MYERS, Fla. -- New York Mets right-hander Zack Wheeler has been diagnosed with a fully torn ulnar collateral ligament in his pitching elbow and is headed for Tommy John surgery that will cost him the entire season.

Wheeler underwent an MRI on Saturday in Florida that was reviewed by team doctor David Altchek.

"Obviously we wish the best for him," Mets ace Matt Harvey said Monday. "We're all going to be behind him. Obviously being pretty recently through that process, anything he needs, we're going to always be there and help him out. It's an unfortunate thing. He wants to be playing just as bad as the next guy. It's a tough day for all of us."

Wheeler will travel to New York later Monday or on Tuesday for an in-person consultation with Altchek at the Hospital for Special Surgery, general manager Sandy Alderson said.

Still, Alderson added, the diagnosis is clear-cut.

Wheeler's UCL tear marks the second devastating blow to Mets pitching in the past two days. Left-handed reliever Josh Edgin on Sunday committed to undergoing Tommy John surgery.

The Mets have somewhat of a safety net in terms of the rotation, though. Dillon Gee, who made 22 starts for the club last season, was poised to get bounced to long relief this season after Harvey's return from Tommy John surgery.

Manager Terry Collins has indicated throughout camp that Gee would return to the rotation if any injury occurred, and pitching coach Dan Warthen told Gee to start getting his arm stretched out as a starter.

"That's why we have him. He'll be the guy," Collins said Monday. On a conference call earlier Monday, Alderson said the organization was still digesting the news about Wheeler and would discuss options in a few days.

The Mets still have top prospects Noah Syndergaard and Steven Matz in camp. But a team source told ESPNNewYork.com that the Mets' intention was to use Gee in the rotation rather than deviate from protocol by going with Syndergaard or Matz, as they would reach free agency a year earlier.

"Did I think I was good enough to be a starter? Absolutely I do," Gee said Tuesday. "But when you have these five guys that are here, it's tough to argue with the decision. It's a good problem to have when we had it, and unfortunately we're in this situation now. I wouldn't say I was surprised -- that's a tough rotation to crack. These guys are really good."

Wheeler, 24, went 11-11 with a 3.54 ERA in 32 starts for the Mets last season. He pitched at points with elbow discomfort and was backed off a few late-season bullpen sessions, but did not miss any game action.

Over the past two seasons, Wheeler led the Mets in strikeouts (271) and ranked second in wins (18) and third in innings pitched (285 1/3).

Asked if Harvey gave the organization a lift with four scoreless innings against the Red Sox on Monday, he said: "It's a tough day for all of us. The big thing was getting my work done and really focusing on that. If you want to call it picking the team up, I did my best to do that."

Wheeler had two offseason MRIs, according to Alderson. He underwent the first imaging test in November, at which point he was treated with platelet-rich plasma therapy. Wheeler experienced "recurring pain" in January and was sent for a second MRI. The latter MRI was sent to a doctor in California to be reviewed, Alderson said.

Neither MRI revealed any ligament damage, according to the GM. Still, Alderson noted Monday, a compromised-but-not-yet-torn ligament may not appear to be injured on an MRI.

The Mets had indicated in recent days that they were not alarmed by renewed discomfort with Wheeler's elbow because he had managed the discomfort in 2014.

"We had been forewarned by the doctor that his elbow was a concern and it was going to have to be managed over the course of this season," Alderson said. "It wasn't clear that the ligament was involved at that time, but we understood we were going to have to manage his elbow condition over the course of the season. So when he complained of the elbow pain, it wasn't a surprise to us."

Alderson said the fresh MRI was ordered Saturday because "the area of pain had increased in size."

"You're always prepared for bad news," Alderson said. "At the same time, when it actually is confirmed, there's a little bit of surprise. But honestly, I have to say that this kind of result is not totally unexpected."

As for the impact on the Mets, who have endured six straight losing seasons, the reaction was disappointment.

"This is why you have the depth of pitching that you stockpile," outfielder Michael Cuddyer said. "This organization has done that. Losing Zack is a huge blow to us, but hopefully we'll have guys that will be able to step up that we're going to be counting on.

"It's tough. You feel bad for him, first and foremost. Forget the team. You feel bad for him on a personal level, because he wants to be out there playing as well. But it's not going to stop. We're going to have to keep playing. The season is going to start on April 6 regardless. We've got to step up."

Alderson said that, at the very least, Wheeler won't have to continue managing his elbow pain while pitching.

"It's a blow, but at the same time we knew there would be a lot of uncertainty surrounding Zack and his elbow over the course of the season," he said. "We're obviously not happy he won't be with us. But if there's a silver lining, it's that we now have some certainty and we have a solution for this that he won't have to manage the kind of pain that he had to manage over the course of last season. Doing that over the course of a career is simply unsustainable."

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Catcher Travis d'Arnaud back on DL for Mets with left elbow injury; Monell called up

MILWAUKEE — The New York Mets have placed Travis d'Arnaud on the 15-day disabled list, the latest setback in an injury-plagued season for the catcher.

Mets assistant general manager John Ricco announced the move before Tuesday night's game in Milwaukee. D'Arnaud had been diagnosed with a hyperextended left elbow following a play at the plate during a 6-4 loss Saturday in Atlanta.

D'Arnaud missed Sunday's game and the Mets had off Monday. He traveled with the team to Milwaukee, where he had an MRI before returning to New York on Tuesday morning.

D'Arnaud is batting .296 with four homers and 17 RBIs. He had just returned on June 10 from a seven-week stint on the disabled list for a fractured right hand.

Catcher Johnny Monell was called up from Triple-A to replace d'Arnaud.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Mets Owner To Run MLB's Finance Committee

* how dd miss this?!?!?!

M.L.B. Defends Fred Wilpon and His Financial Role

It sounds like a punch line: Fred Wilpon, the majority owner of the Mets, is the new chairman of Major League Baseball’s finance committee.

Wilpon was a victim of Bernard L. Madoff’s Ponzi scheme and has slashed the payroll of a team that has struggled significantly with debt. Faced with a cash shortfall in 2010, the Mets borrowed $25 million from Major League Baseball.

Commissioner Rob Manfred — whose predecessor, Bud Selig, was a strong Wilpon ally — defended Wilpon and clarified his responsibilities.

“I understand the whole Madoff thing,” Manfred said, “but before and since, Fred Wilpon was an extraordinarily successful businessman. The committee — the finance and compensation committee — really deals with two issues, principally: executive compensation, which he’s more than capable of dealing with, and a central office budget. Obviously, to be a successful businessman, you have to know how to budget.”

M.L.B. has two separate investment committees that are not under the purview of Wilpon’s committee, Manfred said, and an audit committee that investigates possible fraud or inconsistencies in financial statements. He said Wilpon had experience on the committee he was now leading.

“If you really understand which committees do what, I don’t see it as an issue,” Manfred said. “He understands how the budget process in baseball has worked, and he’s more than qualified to fill that role.”

635515967163120478318194316_michaelscott.gif

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Mets General Manager Sandy Alderson Collapses at News Conference

Sonny-Alderson.jpg

Mets general manager Sandy Alderson collapsed while talking with reporters during a news conference to announce a contract extension for manager Terry Collins, then was able to walk away.

The said Alderson did not eat breakfast, felt lightheaded under the lights of the news conference and fainted. The Mets said he was being examined by the team's training staff.

Alderson and Collins sat at a table for the 20-minute formal portion of the news conference Wednesday in the Citi Field interview room, and Alderson then spent about 10 minutes answering questions from broadcast media.

He switched sides of the room to speak with text media and was 13 minutes into that session when he confirmed the Mets had given permission to the Los Angeles Dodgers to speak with New York bench coach Bob Geren about their open manager's job. Alderson was asked about outfielder Juan Lagares' doctor's appointment Wednesday when his eyes became glassy and he started to fall.

Alderson was grabbed by reporters and photographers, preventing him from falling onto the riser hard. Placed on his back, Alderson was down for about a minute, then was assisted to his feet and into a chair.
"So where were we?" he joked with a smile before he walked away with other team officials.

A former Marine who turns 68 on Nov. 22, Alderson became New York's general manager in October 2010. He was Oakland's general manager from 1983-97, Major League Baseball's executive vice president of baseball's operations from 1998-2005 and San Diego's chief executive officer from 2005-09.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Mets Owner To Run MLB's Finance Committee

* how dd miss this?!?!?!

M.L.B. Defends Fred Wilpon and His Financial Role

It sounds like a punch line: Fred Wilpon, the majority owner of the Mets, is the new chairman of Major League Baseball’s finance committee.

Wilpon was a victim of Bernard L. Madoff’s Ponzi scheme and has slashed the payroll of a team that has struggled significantly with debt. Faced with a cash shortfall in 2010, the Mets borrowed $25 million from Major League Baseball.

Commissioner Rob Manfred — whose predecessor, Bud Selig, was a strong Wilpon ally — defended Wilpon and clarified his responsibilities.

“I understand the whole Madoff thing,” Manfred said, “but before and since, Fred Wilpon was an extraordinarily successful businessman. The committee — the finance and compensation committee — really deals with two issues, principally: executive compensation, which he’s more than capable of dealing with, and a central office budget. Obviously, to be a successful businessman, you have to know how to budget.”

M.L.B. has two separate investment committees that are not under the purview of Wilpon’s committee, Manfred said, and an audit committee that investigates possible fraud or inconsistencies in financial statements. He said Wilpon had experience on the committee he was now leading.

“If you really understand which committees do what, I don’t see it as an issue,” Manfred said. “He understands how the budget process in baseball has worked, and he’s more than qualified to fill that role.”

635515967163120478318194316_michaelscott.gif

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Buy an Empty Mets Champagne Bottle and Cork for $115

Last Saturday the New York Mets popped some long-awaited bottles after they clinched their division in Cincinnati.

Corks were popped and Freixenet sparkling wine was poured over heads and sprayed on fans.

Now, both are for sale — because in spite of the wins, the team could still use the money.

"Do not miss the opportunity to own this unique piece of Mets memorabilia," the team writes on their auction page, which opened Thursday afternoon.

A bottle goes for $100, while the cork is only $15. There's no deal if you buy them together.

It retails (with actual alcohol inside) for less than $20.

The Mets also can't promise that the highest bidder will get exactly what is pictured, with some bottles coming with more wear and tear from celebrating than others.

The champagne pictured, technically a sparkling wine since it comes from Spain, retails for about $12.

https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20151001/corona/buy-used-mets-champagne-bottle-cork-for-115

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Yoenis Cespedes reaches three-year, $75 million deal with Mets

Yoenis Cespedes is staying in New York.

Cespedes, 30, agreed to a deal with the Mets on Friday night, according to ESPN's Jim Bowden and media reports, a move that takes the last big bat off the free-agent market.

The deal, pending a physical, is for three years and $75 million, including $27.5 million in the first year, after which he can opt out.

The $25 million average annual value of the deal ties Cespedes with Giancarlo Stanton and Josh Hamilton for the highest average annual value ever for an outfielder, according to ESPN Stats & Information.

Detroit Tigers before he was traded to the Mets just minutes before the trade deadline. He set career highs in a number of power categories, including home runs (35), RBIs (105) and OPS (.870). His power was on full display with New York, for whom he hit 17 home runs in 57 games, including nine in a 13-game stretch to start the month of September, reviving an offense that had ranked last in the majors in most categories upon his arrival in late July.

Cespedes was slowed during the postseason by a left shoulder injury that required a cortisone injection before the World Series. He departed the final game of the World Series after fouling a pitch off his left knee.

Mets manager Terry Collins, speaking Thursday night in New York, offered high praise for Cespedes.

"He works very hard to be a good teammate," Collins said. "Even though he doesn't speak a lot of English, he works very, very hard at it.

"His pregame routine is off the charts ... off the charts. He has things that he does right before a game in the batting cage. ... When he walks onto that field, he's legit.

"I've been around a lot of great players. I've seen a lot of great players. This guy, just strictly tools, the five tools, he's got them all."

Baltimore Orioles also had interest in Cespedes, offering him a contract before re-signing slugger Chris Davis last week.

A baseball source familiar with Cespedes' contract negotiations previously told ESPN that Cespedes had been seeking a six-year deal in the $22 million annual range this winter.

The Mets, who had expected for much of the offseason to be moving on from Cespedes, now have a glut of outfielders. Curtis Granderson, Michael Conforto, Alejandro De Aza and Juan Lagares also are signed for 2016.

Cespedes' addition raises the team's payroll in 2016 to roughly $140 million, its highest level since Omar Minaya's days as general manager.

It took Major League Baseball and the players' union acting in September to allow the Mets to negotiate with Cespedes this winter. Because Cespedes' contract called for him to be a free agent two years before players generally are eligible, the Mets technically had to release him after the postseason. By rule, that made the Mets ineligible to re-sign him. But after Cespedes' side approached the Mets, MLB and the players' union agreed to waive the rule, allowing them to be one of his suitors.

A star in Cuba, Cespedes made his debut in the majors in 2012, hitting .292 with 23 home runs and 82 RBIs for Oakland, which signed him to a four-year, $36 million deal.

Oakland sent him to Boston at the 2014 trade deadline. The Red Sox traded him to Detroit last offseason, and the Tigers moved him to the Mets at the 2015 trade deadline.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/14629430/yoenis-cespedes-agrees-deal-new-york-mets

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
ct-mr-met-fired-20170531

NEW YORK

Mr. Met is out of a job.

His apparent frustration with another Mets loss got the better of him Wednesday night when a fan asked for a photo of the costumed mascot, WABC reported.

That’s when he was caught on camera making an obscene gesture toward the fan, The Associated Press reported.

Shortly after the offending display and the social media fallout, the Mets announced on Twitter that the team does not condone the behavior.

DBNG5eeVoAEZmxK.jpg:small

Follow
New York Mets

✔@Mets

Statement from the New York Mets.

11:17 PM - 31 May 2017
Twitter Ads info and privacy

The person in the Mr. Met costume will not be permitted to be the character again, The AP reported.

The Mets lost to the Milwaukee Brewers Wednesday night 7-1 and are 23 and 28 so far this season. The team is 9.5 games behind the Washington Nationals in the National League East.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/met-fired-after-obscene-gesture-shown-fans/7kZPSObCAaFDDahHL7rTfI/
http://nypost.com/2017/05/31/mr-met-flips-the-bird-to-a-fan/

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/19509176/new-york-mets-apologize-mascot-obscene-gesture-fans

Mets apologize after mascot's middle finger, say person won't wear costume again
12:58 AM ET

The New York Mets apologized Wednesday night after their mascot, Mr. Met, made an obscene gesture at fans at Citi Field during the team's 7-1 loss to the Milwaukee Brewers.

Video on social media showed Mr. Met walking down a tunnel at the ballpark, turning around and giving the middle finger to the fans. It was unclear what, if anything, the fans said to the mascot before he made the gesture.

Noah Syndergaard.

Jacob deGrom was pounded for seven runs on eight hits in a loss to a Brewers team that entered the night with just two wins in its previous nine games. An announced attendance of 26,517 took in the game as the Mets dropped to 23-28 on the year.

Expected to contend for a playoff spot, the Mets have been hurt by injuries to Syndergaard, closer Jeurys Familia and slugger Yoenis Cespedes.

In an earlier flap, after a win over the Miami Marlins on May 5, the Mets tweeted a photograph of T.J. Rivera wearing the star-of-the-game crown in their clubhouse, and the background included the locker of backup catcher Kevin Plawecki and a clearly visible sex toy. Plawecki attributed the incident to clubhouse pranksters.

Then, Mets pitcher Matt Harvey didn't show up for the next day's game after a late night on the town, causing the team to suspend him for three days.