Sony's Plans to Take on Apple's iTunes

Jagi

True Fist of the North Star
OG Investor
PSN to be basis of Sony iTunes rival, accounts top 33 million

PS3 and PSP's online component will form backbone of Sony Online Service, a content-delivery system common to HDTVs, Blu-ray players, PCs, MP3 players, e-readers, and mobile devices.

In addition to confirming 3D gaming for the PlayStation 3 was coming in 2010, yesterday's Sony Corp. global strategy presentation also revealed that a premium subscription service will be added to the PlayStation Network. Those two initiatives were revealed as part of a far larger vision which will see Sony try and overtake rival Apple's iTunes service with a common content distribution system for all its media products.

sony_sos_04325_screen.jpg

Sony aims to bring together all its products via one common online platform.

According to Hirai, the SOS will support a single user ID across all Sony products, all of which will have a common user experience. The goal will be to encourage consumers to buy more Sony products because of the "enhanced value," which Sony feels they will have by their being able to tap into SOS. The presentation held up HDTVs, Blu-ray players, the Sony Reader electronic book, laptops, Walkman MP3 players, the PSP Go, and the PS3 as examples of devices which would use the service.

sos_psn_crossover_98896_screen.jpg

The PSN will be SOS's basis.

The inclusion of the PSP and PS3 is no coincidence, since the PlayStation Network will be the basis for the entire SOS structure. Through a translator, Hirai explained that "The service will be launched economically and quickly by leveraging the PlayStation [Network] service platform. For example, key assets for creating a network service management system, payment system, and content distribution system will be shared with the PSN platform so that initial investment risk can be minimized."

With PSN as its backbone, the Sony Online Service will also attempt to expand into the company's line of mobile devices. "The introduction of new mobile products that are network enabled will be a key part of this process, as mobile products which users turn to throughout the day will be a key entry point to this service," said Hirai. The company did not give a launch window for SOS, nor did it say how much money it was investing in the initiative.

psnreview_35346_screen.jpg

Sony reports PSN's growth is accelerating.

Sony justified its faith in the strength of the PSN architecture by revealing that as of November 16, the service had 33 million registered users. Each day, an average of 5.4 million people log onto the service, some 1.4 million of which visit the PlayStation Store. Each month, Sony says PSN users download 25 petabytes of content, enough to fill 5,000 single-layer DVDs. Currently over 650 PS3 and PSP games are available on the PlayStation Store, along with 2,417 movies, 15,042 TV shows, and over 10,000 "extra items" such as themes. Hirai said the company now expects to sell $50 billion ($562.6 million) worth of goods on the service during the fiscal year ending March 31, 2010--a threefold increase over the previous year.

Lucky7s

Negritude...do you have it muthafucka?
Registered
Da fuck? I ain't no gamer...how they gonna relate that to folks that don't even know what a PSN/PS3/PSP is?

Jagi

OG Investor
Da fuck? I ain't no gamer...how they gonna relate that to folks that don't even know what a PSN/PS3/PSP is?

it's not about the ps3/psp (entirely) which is why i put it here and why its aimed at iTunes not xbox live. its about getting their content on any of their devices (game systems, tv's with internet access, blu ray players with internet access, sony vaio laptops, erricson phones, digital walkmen and/or whatever other devices they plan to release

brace

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Sony can easily defeat itunes and they could have done it years ago. But they keep pushing the wrong technology. Remember minidisc and what they did to disable high speed downloads in the name of piracy. When itunes was adding movies sony was working on HOME for the PS3. Sony has been outclassed in areas that they actually control. Sony is a record company. Sony is a movie studio. Sony makes entainment products. What is stoppinig sony from developing a device that will combine the errickson, psp, and walkman? Sony is like a sleeping giant.

The sad part is that when they do finally get it right it will be the end of apple. It's only a matter of time.

Look at what windows 7 and the netbooks are already doing to apple.

Flawless

Flawless One
BGOL Investor
So y'all think apple cant fail huh? I love the competition, I know sony gonna hold things down.

Ryokurin

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
If they did this 5 years ago, and it had more than Sony content, and was open to devices other then Sony then it will have a chance. But even if it was open most people are going to assume you have to have Sony everything for it to work

divine

Superstar
BGOL Investor
So y'all think apple cant fail huh? I love the competition, I know sony gonna hold things down.

Sure Apple can fail. That's not the point. The fact is, Apple has succeeded and has the music/mp3 player on lock. Sony is several years too late = fail.

Matt Beesy

Bgol Mod & Creator Of The Crypto Thread On Bgol
Super Moderator
Sure Apple can fail. That's not the point. The fact is, Apple has succeeded and has the music/mp3 player on lock. Sony is several years too late = fail.

Has apple ever been beat on shit they already had locked down?

AgentCreed

Star
Registered
if they combine this with the x10 android coming to ATT and the android market with a dedicated SONY media/apps channel they could do it....integrate the x10 with the ps3/psp/psn....could do it if done right

Jagi

OG Investor
Sony can easily defeat itunes and they could have done it years ago. But they keep pushing the wrong technology. Remember minidisc and what they did to disable high speed downloads in the name of piracy. When itunes was adding movies sony was working on HOME for the PS3. Sony has been outclassed in areas that they actually control. Sony is a record company. Sony is a movie studio. Sony makes entainment products. What is stoppinig sony from developing a device that will combine the errickson, psp, and walkman? Sony is like a sleeping giant.

The sad part is that when they do finally get it right it will be the end of apple. It's only a matter of time.

cause media owners don't know what the people want.. they jsut see a business model and want us to follow along.

people are lemmings but they like to be wine and dined before they get fucked now.

NBC tried to pull out of iTunes and wanted people to buy NBC content from their site.. a year later NMC came running back to Apple with their legs tied between their legs..

movie and music studios dont really know what we want. some times it takes a third party like apple to bridge the gap and work as translators between the companies and the consumer

Amajorfucup

Rising Star
Platinum Member

Your last sentence is the only thing i agree with.

Sony is a dinosaur. They've spent the last decade concentrating on the wrong fucking technology and they cant even get that right. The only thing they have done successfully in that time is ruin their brand equity and pissed off the average consumer. They dont have a shot in hell at moving apple. These fucks cant even get that Home bullshit right and they've had what 5+ years to do it?:smh:

They are who they are. They will continue to enjoy relative success with overpriced consumer electronics but other than that, i just dont see. I actually hope they do succeed though. Apple needs competition. Unfortunately the only companies with deep enough pockets are Mcro$oft. So barring a company coming out and patenting a new technology that the masses need, shit aint happening.

Jagi

OG Investor

so did sony, many tried to take them down and failed.. the problem is people are trying to take down itunes, like those iphone killers its a failed attempt from start..

BUT.. if you ride the wave and build around itunes get the apple haters, the offer some value, any value.. etc. you can be there for when apple (or any company in any industry) fails and pick up the ball and run with it..

apple picked up the ball and ran with it after sony and creative labs dropped the ball with digital media players..

if they combine this with the x10 android coming to ATT and the android market with a dedicated SONY media/apps channel they could do it....integrate the x10 with the ps3/psp/psn....could do it if done right

the sony erricson with the android is nice.. and thats android 1.7 not 2.0.. with ps3 support, it could get an apple/sony fan bvoy like myself debating which device to get.. the Apple iPhone or the Sony Erricson..

or I could get an LOLZune and a Windows Mobile Phone
2nl632g.jpg

divine

Superstar
BGOL Investor

Help us out.. what is Windows 7 and Netbooks doing to Apple? :confused:

Besides providing a comparable alternative at a 3rd of the price while cutting into their market (if only slightly at this point)? Nothing.

Wow. So now Windows 7 is a comparable alternative to Mac OS X? And cutting into Apple's Market? WOW... you guys have re-written history.

Have we forgotten that this is MICROSOFT'S Market and Apple is the one cutting into market share.. posting RECORD profits and gaining market share... while Microsoft posted losses.

Apple does't even have a Netbook (yet).

Jagi

OG Investor
Besides providing a comparable alternative at a 3rd of the price while cutting into their market (if only slightly at this point)? Nothing.

they havent cut into their market..

microsoft goes for the low end market and apple the high end market..

no one considering an apple macbook air would consider/compare it to a netbook..

microsoft and apple just have different customers..

apple makes money off of 10 people which is equal to microsoft making the same money off of 100 people

Flawless

Flawless One
BGOL Investor

no one considering an apple macbook air would consider/compare it to a netbook..

apple makes money off of 10 people which is equal to microsoft making the same money off of 100 people
and for every 1 person who buys a mac 100 others buy a windows based system and M$ gets a cut from every sale, but I think your confusing microsoft for a hardware manufactor, they only sell the software while hp, lenova, sony, and other hardware manufactors are the ones who are really competing with apple

AgentCreed

Star
Registered
the sony erricson with the android is nice.. and thats android 1.7 not 2.0.. with ps3 support, it could get an apple/sony fan bvoy like myself debating which device to get.. the Apple iPhone or the Sony Erricson..

or I could get an LOLZune and a Windows Mobile Phone
2nl632g.jpg

yeah my only interest is android but i won't be on att at any point EVER but i do view sony taking android and building it with an integrated psn etc a good move if they get chrome on some laptops and pcs they could go head to head with apple. it would be an interesting matchup sony with netbooks/laptops/desktops running chrome...smartphone's running android...mp3 players running android...while still producing windows products...
could go head to head with apple indeed.

Jagi

OG Investor
and for every 1 person who buys a mac 100 others buy a windows based system and M$ gets a cut from every sale, but I think your confusing microsoft for a hardware manufactor, they only sell the software while hp, lenova, sony, and other hardware manufactors are the ones who are really competing with apple

many buy apple hardware for the OS. it's why vista/windows 7 is a mac os x rip off.

which is also interesting that dell/HP etc dont try to go after apple, microsoft does. cause its apple's software that micrsoft is afraid of.. not their hardware..

Amajorfucup

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Wow. So now Windows 7 is a comparable alternative to Mac OS X? And cutting into Apple's Market? WOW... you guys have re-written history.

Have we forgotten that this is MICROSOFT'S Market and Apple is the one cutting into market share.. posting RECORD profits and gaining market share... while Microsoft posted losses.

Apple does't even have a Netbook (yet).
Well that was more in reference to the netbook. Netbooks have provided another hardware option for those in the market to purchase lightweight computers.

Thats not true. Im proof of that. Im a constant purchaser of high end electronics and gadgets and was in the market for a mac. Netbooks have changed my mind completely. Obviously they havent taken a significant bite out of Apple's pie but to ignore the fact that they do indeed appeal to "high end" purchasers who may have been in the market for a Mac is flat out a lie. I can get a netbook and mid level Vaio for the same price i was gonna drop on that Mac.

And yes, while they do have different customers to a certain extent, the presence of the netbooks appeals to both.

EDIT: I also disagree with your comment on Apple catering to a highend market. Bullshit. They cater to those willing to follow whats envogue and the popular thing to do. The average Mac owner is not a high income earner by any stretch. Usually just some tool infatuated with its popularity or itunes and willing to pay a premium price for a average product.

Jagi

OG Investor
yeah my only interest is android but i won't be on att at any point EVER but i do view sony taking android and building it with an integrated psn etc a good move if they get chrome on some laptops and pcs they could go head to head with apple. it would be an interesting matchup sony with netbooks/laptops/desktops running chrome...smartphone's running android...mp3 players running android...while still producing windows products...
could go head to head with apple indeed.

already in the works

Sony Vaio: first to come with Google Chrome

Google representatives confirmed yesterday that Sony will be bundling the Chrome browser into its Vaio line of notebook computers along with Microsoft's Internet Explorer. This is the browser's first bundling partnership, and follows earlier statements from Google which said that a leading computer manufacturer would ship Chrome.

Sony, however has not made any confirmatory remarks.

In the single year that Chrome has existed, it's garnered a 2.6% share of the global Web browser market thanks to the favorable reviews it has received and its improved performance on platforms such as Windows XP. If Google secures a deal with one of the top five PC manufacturers (HP, Dell, Acer, Lenovo, Toshiba: IDC, July 2009), it could easily push up its market share to third place, behind Firefox, and ahead of both Opera and Safari.

Neither the financial terms of Sony and Google's partnership, nor the global availability of Chrome-equipped Vaios have yet been announced. We've contacted Sony for comment.

Last edited:

Jagi

OG Investor
Well that was more in reference to the netbook. Netbooks have provided another hardware option for those in the market to purchase lightweight computers.

Thats not true. Im proof of that. Im a constant purchaser of high end electronics and gadgets and was in the market for a mac. Netbooks have changed my mind completely. Obviously they havent taken a significant bite out of Apple's pie but to ignore the fact that they do indeed apple to high end purchasers who may have been in the market for a Mac is flat out a lie.

And yes, while they do have different customers to a certain extent, the presence of the netbooks appeals to both.

EDIT: I also disagree with your comment on Apple catering to a highend market. Bullshit. They cater to those willing to follow whats envogue and the popular thing to do. The average Mac owner is not a high income earner by any stretch. Usually just some tool infatuated with its popularity or itunes and willing to pay a premium price for a average product.

high end apple consumers buy apple products for running full adobe suits, music studios and creative services.. there is not one netbook that is an option for any of this..

netbooks were more of a burden on microsoft since you couldnt run vista on them.. sony rushed out the ps3 due to the hd-dvd/blu ray war and microsoft rushed out windows 7 due to the netbook surge...

Amajorfucup

Rising Star
Platinum Member
high end apple consumers buy apple products for running full adobe suits, music studios and creative services.. there is not one netbook that is an option for any of this..
Right but thats not representative of the average apple customer. Nor does it negate the fact that netbooks appeal to both mac and PC customers and potential customers.
netbooks were more of a burden on microsoft since you couldnt run vista on them.. sony rushed out the ps3 due to the hd-dvd/blu ray war and microsoft rushed out windows 7 due to the netbook surge...
Disagree again. Windows 7 was not rushed due to netbooks. Microsoft wasnt gonna luanch an OS based on the netbook market. Surely they wanted to accomodate it but whether they rushed or took their time it was inevitable that all netbooks would carry their OS anyway. Also, 90% of the netbooks on the market cant even run full windows 7. They put out that Starter bullshit for the netbooks heads.

JD Walker

Star
Registered

True...

Also true...

Also very true...

I also disagree with your comment on Apple catering to a highend market. Bullshit. They cater to those willing to follow whats envogue and the popular thing to do. The average Mac owner is not a high income earner by any stretch.

You obviously never used a computer for "high end" professional use. You're argument is about as asinine as GWCs arguing that a Hasselblad is just "for show".