Some say black politicians unfairly targeted

COINTELPRO

Transnational Member
Registered
cSm6v.Em.56.jpg

I don't know about you, but I feel the surveillance with wire taps, cameras in cars and place, bugs in car/home and people that follow me around. There is also shit going on with my computer.

I can just imagine a black politician in office with enough microwave transmitters to cook a chicken. I don't know why they can think something can be done without somebody knowing.

Is this the new form of discrimination?, you ride a person with surveillance and obsess about their background to get them out of office.

It looks like the media is trying to portray black politicians as corrupt and incompetent? Especially, in Detroit where it was white flight and bad trade policy that caused the cities finances to decline.

Last edited:

Greed

Star
Registered
Extraordinary Moments At Sentencing Of Jacksons

Extraordinary Moments At Sentencing Of Jacksons
August 16, 2013 4:59 PM

CHICAGO (CBS) — Prosecutors called the case against Jesse and Sandi Jackson “perhaps the biggest campaign finance fraud case ever.”

But what happened in court was also extraordinary: A judge delaying one jail term until the other was finished.

And then another twist: Judge Amy Berman Jackson gave the couple a few minutes to decide who would go first.

Jesse Jackson had already asked to be first, but privately Sandi did want jail time hanging over her head either.

One of Sandi Jackson’s attorneys gave CBS 2 Chief Correspondent Jay Levine a glimpse behind the scenes as the Jacksons made their choice to have the former congressman go first.

Sandi would stay with their two children until her husband’s sentence was complete–likely just over two years.

“She made a decision that for her to be there for as long as she could be there and immediately was going to be in their best interests and no part of her was going to do anything other than act in their interests,” said attorney Carolyn Gurland.

She made that decision just minutes after being sentenced to one year in prison.

She will also face another year of supervised release, 200 hours of community service and $22,000 restitution for what the judge called “using campaign funds to support a lifestyle they couldn’t afford.”

As Jesse and Sandi Jackson arrived at the courthouse Wednesday morning, it appeared to some that while Jesse was bracing for the worst, Sandi was hoping for the best.

It didn’t work out that way. Sandi Jackson was hoping for probation.

“For her not to think that she would go to jail, to think the judge was going to give her probation?” said political consultant Delmarie Cobb. “I think that for too long they have just not been in reality.”

It had begun five years earlier, with allegations that Jackson Jr. emissaries had offered Rod Blagojevich millions to appoint him to President Obama’s U.S. Senate seat.

While Jackson was never charged, the resulting investigation ultimately caught Sandi.

“We weren’t ready for it,” said CBS 2 legal analyst Irv Miller. “But it did come down, and the reason it did come down is when they found out about it during the investigation of [her husband]”

Now the question becomes, how does Sandi Jackson live her life, knowing she has a jail term to serve in about two years.

“I’ve never seen it before,” said Gurland. “I can’t begin to think how you’d spend every day waiting for the other shoe to drop.

“One way to deal with it, is shift the focus again as she just generally does to others, taking care of family, making some money, minimize disruptions in their social life.”

Sandi Jackson’s plea for probation was based on her 9 and 13 year-old children.

It was a plea blunted by the feds’ offer and the judge’s approval of staggered sentences, which will now send Jesse to jail late this year and Sandi early in 2016.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2013/08/16/extraordinary-moments-at-sentencing-of-jacksons/

spider705

Light skin, non ADOS Lebron hater!
BGOL Investor
I'm lost here....what's the purpose of this thread? I mean if u caught doing dirt u suffer the consequences of doing dirt. Is this supposed to be a rep vs dem thing or something? what's the point?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 4

Greed

Star
Registered
I'm lost here....what's the purpose of this thread? I mean if u caught doing dirt u suffer the consequences of doing dirt. Is this supposed to be a rep vs dem thing or something? what's the point?

I would say the point of this thread is represented in post 64. Blacks do not have proportional representation in Congress and the representation lacks quality compared to other groups.

A lot of it is EXTREMELY-secure seats where people have no incentive to worry about how anything looks to people outside of their districts. The only concern they factor in is will they get reelected. That leads to reckless behavior at best and massive fraud at worse.

Don't you think you deserve better when people, who are already behind, have inadequate representation?

How do you advance when people with authority, who should represent your interest, are not looking to promote advancement.

In a system of political allocation of power and wealth, how do you "get yours" without competent political leaders?

spider705

BGOL Investor
See it was so much Colin Powell going on in here i skipped right past this one. Everything posted seemed to key on people doing dirt and getting caught so I'm like "oh well"

That makes sense to me, and more posts should be geared to that of post 64. Show the disparities if these inquiries then post the wrong doings of their CAC counterparts.....then it will be a productive thread worth discussion....the way it's going now it seems like we bitching about blacks being caught with they hands in the cookie jar.

We can't ALWAYS play the victim, especially when bring caught red handed.

Greed

Star
Registered
See it was so much Colin Powell going on in here i skipped right past this one. Everything posted seemed to key on people doing dirt and getting caught so I'm like "oh well"

That makes sense to me, and more posts should be geared to that of post 64. Show the disparities if these inquiries then post the wrong doings of their CAC counterparts.....then it will be a productive thread worth discussion....the way it's going now it seems like we bitching about blacks being caught with they hands in the cookie jar.

We can't ALWAYS play the victim, especially when bring caught red handed.

I think the rest of the thread is valid because the non-red handers share the same electoral characteristics as the red handers and yet they keep getting elected and creating a detriment to their often struggling constituency.

spider705

BGOL Investor
As i think on it more ur original post had something in it that made me rethink my stance. The part about poor representation for a people trying to advance (to summarize).

When i view it from that perspective it adds up.

But still, i have no remorse for a criminal doing criminal activity and getting caught. Without equal representation of CAC wrong doing it just looks like we playing victim...

Greed

Star
Registered
As i think on it more ur original post had something in it that made me rethink my stance. The part about poor representation for a people trying to advance (to summarize).

When i view it from that perspective it adds up.

But still, i have no remorse for a criminal doing criminal activity and getting caught. Without equal representation of CAC wrong doing it just looks like we playing victim...

We do need to balance between worrying about white hypocrisy and cleaning up our own house. The past balance clearly isn't working, but maybe we'll find a new balance. Who knows.

thoughtone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
We do need to balance between worrying about white hypocrisy and cleaning up our own house. The past balance clearly isn't working, but maybe we'll find a new balance. Who knows.

Damn right it ain't working. Can the negrocon give whitey any more free passes?

source: Raw Story

com_colbert_delay_130919c-615x345.jpg

An attorney for Tom DeLay said on Thursday that a Texas Court of Appeals in Austin had overturned a conviction that would have sent the former Republican House Majority Leader to prison for two felonies.

Defense attorney Brian Wice told KHOU that documents released from the court said that the evidence in the case was “legally insufficient to sustain DeLay’s convictions.”

According to KHOU, “all judgements” against the former Republican leader were reversed.

DeLay was convicted in 2010 on charges of money laundering and conspiracy to commit money laundering in a plot to influence elections. He was sentenced to three years in prison, but was allowed to remain free while the charges were appealed.

Lawyers for DeLay were successful in forcing one appellate judge to be removed from the panel, and others recused themselves from the decision.

Wice told The Houston Chronicle that the 3rd Court of Appeals in Austin voted 2-1 to overturn the conviction.

Greed

Star
Registered
Jury selection starts in ex-New Orleans mayor's graft trial

Jury selection starts in ex-New Orleans mayor's graft trial
By Kathy Finn | Reuters
17 hrs ago

NEW ORLEANS (Reuters) - Jury selection started on Monday in the public corruption trial of former New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin, who led the city during and after Hurricane Katrina in 2005 and now faces charges he profited personally from the city's recovery.

Nagin, who was swept into office on promises of good government in 2002 and re-elected in 2006, was indicted by a federal grand jury on 21 counts of corruption, including bribery, wire fraud, conspiracy, money laundering and filing false tax returns.

Nagin was silent as he walked with a limp into the courtroom and did not answer questions from reporters.

About 150 people have been called as potential jurors for the trial that is expected to take about two weeks.

The trial is expected to begin once a jury is selected, a process that may take a few days given the number of candidates and the prominence of the defendant.

Nagin could be sentenced to 20 years in prison or more under federal sentencing guidelines if he is convicted of the charges against him, a legal expert said.

During a long federal investigation, numerous former associates of Nagin signed plea deals with the government and agreed to testify against him.

Nagin, 57, was indicted January 2013 and charged with accepting gifts that included more than $200,000 in cash and wire transfers, free vacations for him and his family, and truck loads of free granite delivered to a countertop installation company Nagin owned with his two sons.

Nagin's trial was due to begin in October 2013, but U.S. District Judge Helen Ginger Berrigan granted a last-minute delay to give Nagin's attorney, Robert Jenkins, more time to prepare. Jenkins did not respond to a request for comment.

Nagin was thrust into the national spotlight in 2005 when Katrina overwhelmed levees and flooded 80 percent of the city, killing 1,500 people and causing some $80 billion in damage.

Thousands of New Orleans residents were displaced by the storm, especially poor African-Americans, and many were relocated for months or left New Orleans permanently.

As mayor during the crisis, Nagin publicly clashed with federal and state officials over relief efforts and was accused of making statements during the crisis that inflamed passions.

Later, Nagin, who is black, was criticized for racial divisiveness for urging residents to rebuild a "chocolate New Orleans," referring to its majority African-American population.

http://news.yahoo.com/jury-selection-start-ex-orleans-mayor-39-graft-130514509.html

thoughtone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
source: USA Today

Rep. Trey Radel resigns after drug plea

A number of potential Republican candidates have been eyeing the 19th Congressional District seat.

radel.jpg

WASHINGTON — Embattled Rep. Trey Radel of Florida resigned Monday, a little more than two months after pleading guilty to misdemeanor cocaine possession.

Radel, 37, a Republican from Fort Myers, submitted a resignation letter to House Speaker John Boehner that took effect at 6:30 p.m.

"Unfortunately, some of my struggles had serious consequences," Radel said in his letter to Boehner. "While I have dealt with those issues on a personal level, it is my belief that professionally I cannot fully and effectively serve as a United States representative to the place I love and call home, Southwest Florida.

Radel, who was facing an ethics investigation, sent shorter resignation letters to Republican Gov. Rick Scott and Florida Secretary of State Ken Detzner. They will have to coordinate a special primary and general election to choose the next person to represent Florida's 19th District. A date has not been set.

STORY: Radel takes leave of absence after cocaine charge

"I believe that Trey is making the right decision for him and his family," Scott said in a statement. "I'm glad that he has sought help, and it's my hope he continues to put his attention on rehabilitation and his family."

A former conservative radio show host, Radel was caught buying $250 worth of cocaine on Oct. 29 at a Washington restaurant from an undercover federal law enforcement officer. He blamed alcohol abuse and returned to Capitol Hill this month after 28 days at a Naples, Fla., treatment center.

Radel's office will remain open to handle constituent issues but will be managed by the clerk of the House until Radel's successor is elected and sworn in, according to Radel's chief of staff, Dave Natonski.

Radel is believed to be the first sitting member of Congress charged with cocaine possession.

In an interview this month, he sounded optimistic he could overcome his troubles and continue to represent his Southwest Florida district.

"This is something I will continue to work on the rest of my life," he told reporters at the time. "I will take it one day at a time and, in doing so, I hope to rebuild and regain trust."

STORY: Radel apologizes to GOP colleagues for cocaine use

Radel had resisted calls from Scott and other Republicans to step aside. When he returned to work this month for the new legislative session, he began making amends with colleagues and apologized to them personally for his actions.

But after two weeks, it became clear things would not be easy for him. A House Ethics Committee investigation, launched in December, threatened to hang over his re-election campaign. Prominent Republicans in his district began signaling interest in his seat. And Radel had trouble winning over some Republicans who thought he should have resigned when he pleaded guilty.

"If he had asked my advice, I would have told him to do it the moment that he was (caught)," Rep. Trey Gowdy, R-S.C., a member of the House Ethics Committee, said Monday. "Frankly, if you have that in your life, you shouldn't run in the first place."

A number of Republicans had been eyeing the 19th Congressional District seat, including state Senate Majority Leader Lizbeth Benacquisto and Paige Kreegel, who finished third in last year's primary.

Former representative Connie Mack, who preceded Radel in Congress, had been considering running if Radel decided not to seek re-election.

"Trey's decision to resign from Congress was undoubtedly very dfficult, but it was the right decision," Mack said in a statement Monday. "Now it's time for Southwest Florida to elect a new congressman who will be a tireless champion of our shared mainstream conservative values.":lol:

Mack's statement made no mention of his political plans, but he said the next representative from Southwest Florida should push for his "Penny Plan" to reduce federal spending. The proposal would cut a penny from every federal dollar spent.

The ethics investigation is expected to close now that Radel has left office and the panel no longer has jurisdiction over him.

Radel has described himself as a "hip-hop conservative" because of his appreciation for rap music. And he suggested that his Tea Party-supported push for limited government resonated with inner-city blacks rallying around the "fight-the-power" message championed by '80s rap groups such as Public Enemy, a Radel favorite.

He embraced social media, frequently posting sharp opinions and random observations on Twitter and other electronic forums older House members have been slower to use.

His support for reining in government, lowering taxes and cutting the deficit played well with the Republican core of his district. But he also showed a pragmatic streak, fighting for hundreds of millions of dollars for water projects designed to remove brackish water being carried from the Everglades and befouling local beaches.

Radel said this month that he wanted to continue that agenda, particularly his work on a water bill under negotiation in a House-Senate conference committee. He also mentioned his interest in immigration issues, notably on proposals to strengthen border security and increase visas issued to foreign high-tech workers.

He was blasted as a hypocrite after his arrest for voting in September to drug-test food stamp recipients. When asked about that vote following his guilty plea, Radel suggested that members of Congress should be tested for drugs.

In his letter to Boehner, Radel thanked the speaker for his "tremendous support and encouragement," and said it was an "honor" to serve the district.

He ended by expressing support for bipartisan solutions to the problems facing Congress.

"As an eternal optimist, I know there are great things in store for our country when we find ways to work together," he wrote. "Whether it is as a father, a husband, or in any future endeavor, I hope to contribute what I can to better our country."

thoughtone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
source: PoliticusUSA

Prostitute-Loving GOP Senator David Vitter Will Run For Governor In Louisiana

david_vitter_ap_605-485x262.jpg

On Tuesday, Sen. David Vitter (R-LA) announced via email that he will run for Governor of Louisiana in 2015. Current GOP darling Bobby Jindal cannot run again due to term limits. Vitter will be allowed to retain his seat in the US Senate while he runs and will only have to give it up if he wins. He is not up for reelection in the Senate until 2016.

Besides sending out an email to his supporters on Tuesday, Vitter launched a new campaign website and posted a video announcing his decision:

<IFRAME height=315 src="//www.youtube.com/embed/hlc4ACroKUE" frameBorder=0 width=560 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

Vitter, of course, is most noted for his involvement in the ‘D.C. Madam’ scandal, as his phone number was found among the records of a Washington, D.C. prostitution service during a bust in 2007. It was reported that he apparently liked to wear diapers when visiting with his favorite hookers. He did not resign, nor did the Republican Party pressure him to. It appeared that the main reason they decided to forgive the so-called ‘family values’ Senator was that the Governor of Louisiana at the time was a Democrat, and it was likely that she’d appoint a Democrat to replace Vitter.

That incident wasn’t the only time that Vitter had his name associated with prostitutes. When he was thinking about running for governor in 2003, the Louisiana Weekly ran a story stating that Vitter had visited with a prostitute. Rather than deal with the messiness of the story going wide, Vitter dropped out of the race, stating he was having family problems. Instead, he regrouped and ran for the US Senate in 2004, winning easily as he got the benefit of multiple Democratic candidates running. The prostitution story went away quietly during the campaign.

Despite his indiscretions and hypocrisy, Vitter will go into this race as the heavy favorite. He will be able to slough off the prostitution mess by constantly declaring his love for guns, God and America. It also will help that he is pro-life, against same-sex marriage and extremely conservative around the issue of immigration. The other candidates that have declared are current Republican Lt. Governor Jay Dardenne and the Democratic State Rep. John Bel Edwards. However, Vitter already has a SuperPAC that has raised nearly $2 million for his candidacy, not to mention whatever other money he has raised personally.

Greed

Star
Registered
Ex-New Orleans mayor convicted of taking bribes

Ex-New Orleans mayor convicted of taking bribes
By KEVIN McGILL | Associated Press
Wed, Feb 12, 2014

NEW ORLEANS (AP) — Former New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin, best remembered for his impassioned pleas for help after the levees broke during Hurricane Katrina, was convicted Wednesday of accepting bribes in exchange for helping businessmen secure millions of dollars in city work, including after the devastating storm.

The federal jury found Nagin guilty of 20 of 21 counts against him, involving a string of crimes before and after the storm. He sat quietly at the defense table after the verdict was read and his wife, Seletha, was being consoled in the front row.

Before the verdict, the 57-year-old Ray Nagin said outside the New Orleans courtroom: "I've been at peace with this for a long time. I'm good."

Sentencing was set for June 11, Nagin's 58th birthday. Nagin left the courthouse more than an hour after the verdict was read, and after U.S. District Judge Helen Berrigan ordered that his bond be modified to provide for "additional conditions of electronic monitoring and home confinement."

The Democrat, who left office in 2010 after eight years, was indicted in January 2013 on charges he accepted hundreds of thousands of dollars in bribes — money, free vacation trips and truckloads of free granite for his family business — from businessmen who wanted work from the city or Nagin's support for various projects.

The granite and some of the money came from developer Frank Fradella. More money came from another contractor, Rodney Williams, for Nagin's help in securing city contracts. Convicted former city vendor Mark St. Pierre, who got a no-bid contract with the city in Nagin's first term, provided trips to Jamaica and Hawaii.

A movie theater owner seeking tax breaks provided a trip to New York, prosecutors said. In a conspiracy count, prosecutors also said Nagin sought and got granite work for his business from a major retailer, identified in court as The Home Depot, while helping the retailer work out details related to the opening of a new store in post-Katrina new Orleans. The company was not accused of any wrongdoing.

Nagin had vehemently denied it all during several hours of testimony that spanned two days of trial. But the jury didn't believe him. The only not-guilty verdict came on one count of bribery involving a portion of the money from Williams.

Nagin had testified that key witnesses lied and prosecutors misinterpreted evidence including emails, checks and pages from his appointment calendar linking him to businessmen who said they bribed him.

As Nagin and defense attorney Robert Jenkins left the courthouse Wednesday, walking with a throng of media, photographers and video cameras, Nagin could be heard saying: "I maintain my innocence."

The defense repeatedly said prosecutors overstated Nagin's authority to approve contracts. His lawyer said there is no proof money and material given to the granite business owned by Nagin and his sons, Stone Age LLC, was tied to city business.

The charges against Nagin included one overarching conspiracy count along with six counts of bribery, nine counts of wire fraud, one count of money laundering conspiracy and four counts of filing false tax returns.

The charges carry a variety of maximum sentences ranging from three to 20 years, but how long he would serve was unclear and will depend on a pre-sentence investigation and various sentencing guidelines.

Jenkins said Nagin's testimony didn't hurt the case and that an appeal would be filed after sentencing.

The conviction wasn't a surprise to Rainelle Smith, 64, of New Orleans, who said she voted for Nagin.

"I don't believe he served the city as well as he should have," she said. "He was supposed to come in and prevent the corruption the city was known for. We, in my family, thought of him as the 'cleanup man.' Instead he gets in office and he soiled it more."

The charges resulted from a City Hall corruption investigation that had resulted in several convictions or guilty pleas by former Nagin associates by the time trial started on Jan. 27.

Fradella and Williams, both awaiting sentencing for their roles in separate bribery schemes alleged in the case, each testified that they bribed Nagin.

Nagin's former technology chief, Greg Meffert, who also is awaiting sentencing after a plea deal, told jurors he helped St. Pierre, bribe Nagin with lavish vacation trips. St. Pierre did not testify. He was convicted in the case in 2011.

http://news.yahoo.com/ex-orleans-mayor-convicted-taking-bribes-190120317.html

Greed

Star
Registered
Former New Orleans Mayor Nagin gets 10 years in corruption case

Former New Orleans Mayor Nagin gets 10 years in corruption case
By By Kathy Finn
July 9, 2014 2:23 PM

NEW ORLEANS (Reuters) - Former New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin was sentenced on Wednesday to 10 years in federal prison for corruption during the critical years of rebuilding after Hurricane Katrina devastated the city in 2005.

A jury in February found Nagin, a Democrat, guilty on charges including bribery, wire fraud, conspiracy, money laundering and tax evasion.

Nagin, 58, stirred national controversy with his erratic behavior after Katrina breached floodwalls and inundated New Orleans in 2005, killing at least 1,500 people and leaving tens of thousands homeless.

Citing Nagin's devotion to family and commitment to helping New Orleans, U.S. District Judge Helen Ginger Berrigan said a shorter prison term than that recommended under federal sentencing guidelines was warranted.

She ordered Nagin to turn himself in to begin serving his sentence by Sept. 8. With good behavior, and barring any appeals, Nagin could get out of prison after about 8-1/2 years.

View gallery
Former New Orleans Mayor C. Ray Nagin leaves the courthouse after being found guilty on graft charge …
Berrigan also ordered Nagin, who prosecutors say accepted bribes valued at over $500,000, to pay about $84,000 in restitution to the Internal Revenue Service.

Addressing reporters outside the courtroom, prosecutor Matthew Coman, who had sought a stiffer sentence, thanked community members who had come forward to help the prosecution build its case.

"What Ray Nagin did was sell his office," Coman said, as supporters of the former mayor sought to shout him down.

During the 10-day trial, prosecutors portrayed Nagin as a mayor on the take, granting favors for bribes that included tons of free granite delivered to a kitchen countertop company he ran with his sons.

Nagin, a former cable TV executive elected in 2002 on a promise of running an ethical government and re-elected four years later, made no apologies in a brief courtroom statement in which he thanked the judge for her professionalism. Nagin, who has never acknowledged taking bribes, declined to comment as he left the courthouse.

Ray Nagin sentenced to 10 years for bribery, corru …Play Video
His attorney, Robert Jenkins, said after February's guilty verdict that Nagin would appeal his conviction.

Any appeal will likely be complicated by the defense not moving during the trial to have the evidence against Nagin ruled too weak for a conviction, said Herbert Larson, an expert on federal criminal law at the Tulane University Law School.

Such motions are crucial for revisiting those arguments on appeal, he said.

"I don't think there are many if any viable avenues for an appeal for Ray Nagin," Larson said.

http://news.yahoo.com/former-orleans-mayor-ray-nagin-sentenced-10-years-152435650.html

Greed

Star
Registered
Former DC Mayor Marion Barry dies at 78

Former DC Mayor Marion Barry dies at 78
Associated Press
By BEN NUCKOLS 10 minutes ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — Divisive and flamboyant, maddening and beloved, Marion Barry outshone every politician in the 40-year history of District of Columbia self-rule. But for many, his legacy was not defined by the accomplishments and failures of his four terms as mayor and long service on the D.C. Council.

Instead, Barry will be remembered for a single night in a downtown Washington hotel room and the grainy video that showed him lighting a crack pipe in the company of a much-younger woman. When FBI agents burst in, he referred to her with an expletive. She "set me up," Barry said.

Barry died Sunday at 78. His family said in statement that Barry died shortly after midnight Saturday at the United Medical Center, after having been released from Howard University Hospital the previous day.

The year was 1990, and crack cocaine had exploded in the district, turning it into the nation's murder capital. In his third term, the man known as the "Mayor for Life" became a symbol of a foundering city.

Federal authorities had been investigating him for years for his alleged ties to drug suspects, and while he denied using drugs, his late-night partying was taking a toll on his job performance.

The arrest and subsequent conviction — a jury deadlocked on most counts, convicting him of a single count of drug possession — was a turning point for Barry. He had been elected to his first term as mayor in 1978 with broad support from across the city. With his good looks, charisma and background in the civil rights movement, he was embraced the dynamic leader the city's young government needed. The Washington Post endorsed him in each of his first three mayoral runs, although the 1986 endorsement was unenthusiastic.

Barry's six-month term in federal prison was hardly the end of his political career. But it forever changed how it was perceived. To some, he was a pariah and an embarrassment. But to many district residents, particularly lower-income blacks, he was still a hero, someone unfairly persecuted for personal failures.

Barry returned to the D.C. Council in 1992, representing the poorest of the city's eight wards. Two years later, he won his fourth and final term as mayor. The electorate was starkly divided along racial lines, and Barry advised those who had not supported his candidacy to "get over it."

"Marion Barry changed America with his unmitigated gall to stand up in the ashes of where he had fallen and come back to win," poet Maya Angelou said in 1999.

Barry's triumph, though, was short-lived. In 1995, with the city flirting with bankruptcy from years of bloated, unaccountable government, much of it under Barry, Congress stripped him of much of his power and installed a financial control board. Barry held authority over little more than the city's parks, libraries and community access cable TV station. He decided against seeking a fifth term.

Barry spent a few years working as a municipal bond consultant, but he couldn't stay away from politics. In 2004, he returned to the council, again representing Ward 8, where he remained beloved. Many constituents still referred to him as "Mayor Barry," and he was re-elected in 2008 and 2012.

Barry was born March 6, 1936, to Marion and Mattie Barry, in the small Mississippi delta town of Itta Bena, and was raised in Memphis, Tenn., after the death of his father, a sharecropper.

While an undergraduate at LeMoyne College (now LeMoyne-Owen College), Barry picked up the nickname "Shep" in reference to Soviet propagandist Dmitri Shepilov for his ardent support of the civil rights movement. Barry began using Shepilov as his middle name.

Barry did graduate work in chemistry at Fisk University in Nashville, Tenn., earning a master's degree. He left school short of a doctorate to work in the civil rights movement.

His political rise began in 1960, when he became the first national chairman of the Student Non-Violent Coordinating Committee, which sent young people into the South to register black voters and became known as one of the most militant civil rights groups of that era.

Barry's work with the committee brought him to Washington, where he became immersed in local issues, joining boycotts of the bus system and leading rallies in support of the city's fledgling home rule efforts.

In 1970, The Post wrote: "Four years ago widely considered a young Black Power Militant with almost no constituency, (Barry) has become a man who is listened to — if not fully accepted — on all sides."

Barry's activism propelled him into local politics, first as a member of the Board of Education and then in 1974 as a member of the first elected city council organized under home rule legislation.

In 1977, he was wounded by a shotgun blast in the Hanafi Muslim takeover of D.C.'s city hall. A young reporter was killed. The shooting was credited with strengthening him politically.

In 1978, he defeated incumbent Mayor Walter Washington — the city's first home rule mayor — in the Democratic primary and went on to easily win the general election.

Barry's early years in office were marked by improvement in many city services and a dramatic expansion of the government payroll, creating a thriving black middle class in the nation's capital. Barry established a summer jobs program that gave many young people their first work experience and earned him political capital.

In his second term, the district's finances were rockier, and some of his appointees were caught up in corruption scandals.

The city's drug-fueled decline mirrored Barry's battles with his personal demons, leading to the infamous hotel room arrest on Jan. 19, 1990. The video of Barry was widely distributed to the media and made him infamous worldwide.

A few months after his arrest, long-time civil rights advocate and educator Roger Wilkins, a past supporter, wrote in The Post: "Marion Barry used the elders and lied to the young. He has manipulated thousands of others with his cynical use of charges of racism to defend his malodorous personal failures."

Even after his comeback, controversy continued to dog Barry. Several times after his 1990 arrest, Barry sought treatment or counseling for problems with prescription medications or other substances. In 2002, he made an attempt to seek an at-large seat on the D.C. Council but abandoned his bid amid allegations of renewed illegal drug use.

In 2006, Barry was given three years of probation after pleading guilty to misdemeanor charges for failing to file tax returns from 1999 to 2004. As part of a plea bargain, he agreed to file future federal and local tax returns annually, a promise prosecutors later said he had failed to keep.

In 2010, he was censured by the council and stripped of his committee assignments for steering a government contract to a former girlfriend. The council censured him again in 2013 for accepting cash gifts from city contractors.

Barry played the role of elder statesman in his later years on the council, but he sometimes exasperated his colleagues with his wavering attention at meetings and frequent, rambling references to his tenure as mayor.

He suffered numerous health problems over the years. In addition to kidney failure, he survived prostate cancer, undergoing surgery in 1995 and a follow-up procedure in 2000. In late 2011, he underwent minor surgery on his urinary tract. In early 2014, he spent several weeks in hospitals and a rehabilitation center battling infections and related complications.

In a statement Sunday, current Mayor Vincent C. Gray expressed deep sadness after learning about Barry's death. Gray spoke with Barry's wife, Cora Masters Barry, late Saturday and shared his condolences and sympathies with her. The couple was long estranged but never divorced.

"Marion was not just a colleague but also was a friend with whom I shared many fond moments about governing the city," Gray said. "He loved the District of Columbia and so many Washingtonians loved him."

Mayor Gray said that he would work with Barry's family and the Council to plan official ceremonies "worthy of a true statesman of the District of Columbia."

Barry was married four times and is survived by his wife, Cora, and one son, Marion Christopher Barry.

http://news.yahoo.com/former-dc-mayor-marion-barry-dies-78-080431388--politics.html

thoughtone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
source: U.S. News

<header>Grimm Future: Congressman Can Keep Job in Prison, Faces Risk There

Expert says high-profile inmates can be targets of violence.

Rep. Michael Grimm, R-N.Y., was re-elected by a broad margin in November, despite facing criminal charges.

</header> Staten Island’s congressman, Michael Grimm, pleaded guilty Tuesday to felony tax fraud, and his future looks bleak.

The colorful New York Republican faces a possible three years in prison for aiding in the preparation of a false tax return - and it’s unclear what will become of another 19 counts listed in an April indictment for crimes he allegedly committed while owning a Manhattan restaurant called Healthalicious.

The restaurant venture, in which Grimm allegedly hired people not legally permitted to work in the U.S. and paid wages from the cash register, came between a 15-year career in the FBI and his successful 2010 campaign for Congress.

Grimm won re-election in November and technically can remain in Congress even if he goes to prison, unless he chooses to resign or his peers vote to expel him - which last happened in 2002, three months after Rep. James Traficant, D-Ohio, was convicted of 10 felonies including bribery and tax evasion.

Grimm, like Traficant before him, is well-known for curious outbursts and unconventional behavior.

In January the embattled congressman threatened to break a reporter in half “like a boy” and throw him over a balcony when asked about his legal issues. He allegedly stormed through a Queens night club with a gun during a dispute with his date’s husband and allegedly disappeared into a Brooklyn bar’s bathroom for more than 15 minutes with a woman.

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., demanded Grimm's resignation Tuesday, but House Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio, has not yet announced his position.

Anne Marie Cammisa, a visiting government professor at Georgetown University, says House leaders "are not inclined to let a convicted felon stay in office" and that it's probable he won't retain his seat. "Technically, I suppose they could decide to let him stay, but that is not at all likely," she says.

Grimm said Tuesday he will not resign from Congress. He faces sentencing June 8

<center data-twttr-id="twttr-sandbox-0">
<iframe title="Embedded Tweet" style="display: block; max-width: 99%; min-width: 220px; padding: 0px; border-radius: 5px; margin: 10px 0px; border-width: 1px; border-style: solid; border-color: rgb(238, 238, 238) rgb(221, 221, 221) rgb(187, 187, 187); -moz-border-top-colors: none; -moz-border-right-colors: none; -moz-border-bottom-colors: none; -moz-border-left-colors: none; border-image: none; box-shadow: 0px 1px 3px rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.15); position: static; visibility: visible; width: 500px;" allowfullscreen="" class="twitter-tweet twitter-tweet-rendered" allowtransparency="true" scrolling="no" id="twitter-widget-0" frameborder="0" height="187"></iframe>
<script async="" src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script><iframe title="Embedded Tweet" style="display: block; max-width: 99%; min-width: 220px; padding: 0px; border-radius: 5px; margin: 10px 0px; border-width: 1px; border-style: solid; border-color: rgb(238, 238, 238) rgb(221, 221, 221) rgb(187, 187, 187); -moz-border-top-colors: none; -moz-border-right-colors: none; -moz-border-bottom-colors: none; -moz-border-left-colors: none; border-image: none; box-shadow: 0px 1px 3px rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.15); position: static; visibility: visible; width: 500px;" allowfullscreen="" class="twitter-tweet twitter-tweet-rendered" allowtransparency="true" scrolling="no" id="twitter-widget-1" frameborder="0" height="211"></iframe>
<script async="" src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script></center> <center data-twttr-id="twttr-sandbox-0"> </center> If Grimm goes to prison, he may face enhanced risk as both a high-profile inmate and a former law enforcement officer.

“Sexual violence is a problem for all inmates,” says American University Washington College of Law professor Brenda Smith, director of the school’s Project on Addressing Prison Rape. “For individuals who have high profile offenses or little experience with the justice system, they can be particularly vulnerable.“

Though his fame and career history may make Grimm a target behind bars, Smith points out those factors may be considered when determining what type of facility he would be sent to. Often, she says, politicians and law enforcement officials are sent to prisons where there’s additional protection.
<iframe src="http://launch.newsinc.com/?type=VideoPlayer/Single&widgetId=1&trackingGroup=69016&siteSection=ndn3_usnews_auto&videoId=28285221" scrolling="no" noresize="" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" frameborder="no" height="332" width="590"></iframe>

thoughtone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I hate it when black people wanna sound like they are the victim.

If you did something MAN UP...Take yo shit nigga!!!

Perhaps if more black politicians will get the balls to become republican, they might have smart political advisors *like Mr. Rove* who will get them out of situations. Hell It worked for Bush....

source: TPM

Bob McDonnell's Daughters: Don't Sentence Our Dad For Our Mom's Faults

gm8w0ohjiiuoxodhjana.jpg

Two of convicted Virginia ex-Gov. Bob McDonnell's (R) children argued that their father should face a lighter sentence on federal corruption charges in part because he shouldn't be held accountable for their mother's materialism and mental health issues.

The Washington Post reported Saturday on the letters of support daughters Jeanine McDonnell Zubowsky and Cailin McDonnell Young wrote to a federal judge asking for leniency in their father's sentencing, which is scheduled for Jan. 6.

"Through my life, I have seen my dad wear t-shirts with holes in them, shoes with the soles falling off and pants that are too short," Zubowsky wrote. "My dad is the least materialistic person that I have ever known and he has never cared about things … my Mom, in contrast, has always been concerned with getting discounts or freebies."

McDonnell and his wife, Maureen, were convicted in September on corruption charges for accepting more than $165,000 in gifts and loans from a wealthy Virginia businessman in exchange for lending him the prestige of the governor's office. The defense painted Maureen McDonnell as a sort of "crazy wife" who accepted gifts from the businessman because she developed a "crush" on him.

Zubowsky wrote that her mother barely communicated with her father because she knew that he wouldn't approve of her seeking out free or discounted goods and services. Maureen McDonnell began to "fill the void" left by her busy husband with material things as he got busier with his duties as governor, she added, and also struggled with mental health issues.

Zubowsky argued that the unflattering testimony about her mother during the McDonnells' federal corruption trial was not only part of the defense's strategy, but "reality." Her sister concurred in her letter to the judge.

"My Father's testimony was widely criticized in the media as geared towards 'throwing the family under the bus'. I can assure you that nothing could be further from the truth," Young wrote. "It was very difficult for him to testify to these intimate issues, but it was the truth."

Read the letters below:

McDonnell Daughters' Letters Of Support
<iframe class="scribd_iframe_embed" src="https://www.scribd.com/embeds/251237529/content?start_page=1&view_mode=scroll&show_recommendations=true" data-auto-height="false" data-aspect-ratio="undefined" scrolling="no" id="doc_49273" frameborder="0" height="600" width="100%"></iframe>

Greed

Star
Registered
US Rep's son says he's 'collateral damage' in bid to get dad

US Rep's son says he's 'collateral damage' in bid to get dad
By MARYCLAIRE DALE
20 hours ago

PHILADELPHIA (AP) — A veteran congressman's son awaiting trial over $200,000 in bank loans that fueled his image as a self-proclaimed "entrepreneur, socialite (and) lifestyle mogul" calls himself collateral damage in the Justice Department's long-running probe of his father.

The FBI believes Chaka Fattah Jr. misspent loans and some of the nearly $1 million in federal education funds he snagged — despite never finishing college — as a 27-year-old school management subcontractor living in a $600,000 Ritz-Carlton condo, spending lavishly on cars for himself and his girlfriend and racking up $33,000 in casino gambling debts.

And when tax time came around, authorities said, he was lax about filing returns annually and instead filed a batch of them in late 2010. IRS agents, finding the returns suspect, raided his luxe bachelor pad a year later. In a 38-page trial memo last month, prosecutors said Fattah's companies were merely a shell for business loans he spent on "extravagant personal living expenses."

But rather than cower in the midst of FBI stings that have netted his college roommate and two advisers to his father — U.S. Rep. Chaka Fattah Sr. — the younger Fattah has instead fought back, acting as his own lawyer.

Some question that confidence in the face of a sweeping federal indictment. But "Chip" Fattah, now 31, scored an early victory this month when a U.S. appeals court agreed to delay the case and review one of his countless legal challenges.

"If I was still represented by counsel, then the trial would have started two weeks ago," the younger Fattah said.

As he spoke, he was working on a 55,000-word legal brief due Tuesday in the 3rd Circuit Court of Appeals.

"The government has no idea what they're talking about in terms of most of the trial memo. Just in terms of details. Details that turn innocent conduct into criminal conduct," said the son, who insists he worked long hours for two years on the education contract.

Chip Fattah — reed-thin and always smiling — can talk a blue streak. But he paused, atypically, when asked how long he had lived with his father, a 10-term Philadelphia Democrat, before his parents divorced. His sister, Fran, is a lawyer running for city judge. Fattah Sr., 58, also has two young daughters with his third wife, local TV anchor Renee Chenault-Fattah.

"I've grown up at my mom's house. But my dad's always around. I've spent summers and stuff in D.C.," he said.

Fattah studied business at Drexel University, but never earned a degree, citing financial difficulties and a college debt he says has grown to $120,000. (An entry on his LinkedIn page listed a B.S. degree, though he calls that "a mistake.")

He did an internship at Comcast Corp., then went out on his own, starting ventures such as "Fattahgraphy," whose clients included statehouse Democrats and the congressional Black Caucus, and "American Royalty," a concierge service that promised to secure restaurant reservations, event tickets and prestige credit cards. At least four clients complain they were stiffed after paying him a $10,000 fee to help obtain high-end American Express cards.

His father's former aide, Gregory Naylor, admitted in an August felony plea that he steered $22,000 in illegal campaign donations toward the student loan debt of an unidentified congressman's son. Chip Fattah told The Associated Press that he did campaign work for Naylor to earn the money. The scheme is not part of his 23-count indictment.

And it's not clear how much grist his case will yield prosecutors pursuing his father. Both Fattahs have called the investigations political.

The same Justice Department lawyers, Paul Grey and Eric Gibson, are working both cases. In thinly disguised arguments involving a "Congressman Smith," the Justice Department recently asked a federal appeals court to compel Google to release seven years of the congressman's private emails.

Fattah lawyer Luther Weaver III is fighting the subpoena, which a district judge had approved. He called his client a "subject" of the investigation but not a "target" — someone warned of a looming indictment.

"I think the government looks at me as collateral damage in their overzealous attempt to embarrass people," Chip Fattah said Thursday. "I've done nothing wrong."

The damage extends to his Drexel roommate, Matthew Amato, a partner in the early ventures who took out three fraudulent 2005 bank loans.

Amato has agreed to testify against the younger Fattah while Naylor and perhaps the congressman's former campaign consultant, Tom Lindenfeld — who admitted in a plea he helped route an illegal $1 million loan through his consulting firm to help pay off the 10-term Democrat's debt from a failed 2007 mayoral bid — may be doing the same.

Amato, Naylor and Lindenfeld, set to be sentenced this month, all have new court dates the week of July 13 so they can help with ongoing investigations, prosecutors said in seeking the delays.

"Having been through that process for the last few years, it's not surprising that somebody would plead guilty," the younger Fattah said of their convictions. "I think the government will do anything to get somebody like me that has a famous name."

https://news.yahoo.com/us-reps-son-says-hes-collateral-damage-bid-155537191.html

Greed

Star
Registered
Feds accuse Philadelphia congressman Fattah of corruption

Feds accuse Philadelphia congressman Fattah of corruption
AP
July 29, 2015 7:02 PM

PHILADELPHIA (AP) — U.S. Rep. Chaka Fattah paid off an illegal $1 million campaign loan with federal grants and charitable donations, funneled campaign funds toward his son's student loans and disguised a lobbyist's bribe as payment for a Porsche his TV anchor wife never sold, prosecutors said Wednesday in announcing a racketeering indictment against him.

The 11-term Democrat from Philadelphia led a conspiracy that engaged in bribery, fraud, money laundering and other crimes and netted him hundreds of thousands of dollars, federal investigators said.

The indictment describes four schemes, two involving efforts to erase debts from Fattah's failed 2007 mayoral bid. The U.S. Department of Justice charged that Fattah used federal grants and donations to his educational foundations to pay back part of the wealthy donor's $1 million loan.

Fattah dismissed the yearslong investigation.

"This isn't Deflategate," he said. "I've never been involved in wrongdoing, any unlawful activity (or) any misappropriation of federal funds."

Fattah vowed to remain in office and fight the charges but stepped down from his leadership post as the top Democrat on the House Appropriations subcommittee that oversees spending for Commerce, Justice, Science and related agencies.

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., said the charges "are deeply saddening" but said she would not ask him to step down. She called him "a tireless and effect advocate for America's hard-working families."

Fattah, 58, was not arrested, and no court date was set for his initial appearance.

The case had already ensnared two former aides, who have pleaded guilty to charges linked to Fattah's campaign debt, and his namesake son, who awaits trial on an overlapping case that includes charges he misspent $930,000 in federal education funding.

Fattah said that "subpoenas have been flying" around him for at least eight years. He has nonetheless maintained a busy public schedule, catching a ride to a Philadelphia event this month with President Barack Obama on Air Force One.

Fattah became an early political activist after being raised by a mother who turned the family row house into a haven for teen gang members. He became a state representative at 25, a state senator at 30 and the successor to esteemed former Rep. Bill Gray at 37.

Twenty years later, Fattah, who serves a heavily urban district, tried to steer a $15 million federal grant to a nonexistent environmental group, the indictment said.

The indictment also said the Democrat and his district director, Bonnie Bowser, passed mayoral and congressional campaign funds through a political consulting company to make 34 student loan payments on behalf of his son totaling $23,000.

Fattah's wife is accused of helping hide an $18,000 bribe from a lobbyist through a sham sale of her 1989 Porsche. Renee Chenault-Fattah, who is not charged in the case, is on leave from the NBC affiliate in Philadelphia, the station announced Wednesday.

The couple used money from the purported car sale to help get a mortgage for a Poconos vacation home, the indictment said.

The car was supposedly sold to lobbyist Herbert Vederman, Fattah's longtime campaign finance director. Vederman wanted an ambassadorship or a seat on the U.S. Trade Commission, prosecutors said. FBI agents found the car still in the Fattahs' garage two years later, the indictment said.

Vederman's lawyer said he would plead not guilty and fight the charges.

"The government has cherry-picked facts to support its cynical view of friendship and wrongly labeled it bribery," lawyer Catherine Recker said.

A former member of Fattah's congressional staff and the CEO of his Educational Advancement Alliance, Karen Nicholas, obtained $50,000 in federal grants for a higher-education conference that never took place, authorities said.

Instead, they said, Nicholas used the money to pay a political consultant, an attorney and several checks to herself from the charity's operating account.

Bowser, Vederman, Nicholas and Philadelphia businessman Robert Brand have also been charged.

"The public does not expect their elected officials to misuse campaign funds, misappropriate government funds, accept bribes or commit bank fraud," U.S. Attorney Zane Memeger said.

Fattah is the second sitting federal lawmaker to be indicted this year on corruption charges. New Jersey U.S. Sen. Bob Menendez, also a Democrat, was indicted on federal corruption charges less than four months ago; he denied the allegations.

https://news.yahoo.com/pennsylvania-us-rep-fattah-indicted-racketeering-case-152952377.html