So when’s the housing bubble bursting?

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
Priced Out: Sedona, AZ. Workers Sleeping In Cars

The Sedona City council has given the green light to a controversial project to let some workers sleep in their cars overnight. The plan, which aims to ease an affordable housing issue in the growing tourist town, was approved on Wednesday after a long and contentious city council meeting.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Helped dad do his taxes earlier this month. He has a rental property up at Whistler. He's owned it since just before the mid-90s. Small place - 1 bedroom - under 400 square feet - at one of the condos there. Bought it 30 years ago at $100k-something. It's assessed at just over 500k now. Building staff maintain the place when you're not there, and also ready it for when guests arrive (either yourself or friends you've lent it out to / strangers who are renting it).

Only rents it out part-time and it still proves profitable ... rental income just under 41,000 last year.

Mostly during the peak season months when people want to visit the mountain. Other times it's just vacant.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Talked to a friend of mine the other day. His neighbor's currently selling their condo.

2 bed, 2 bath - 966 square feet - $798,000.

The assessed value as of July 2003 is listed at $748,000.

They bought it for $562,450 in June 2017.

The previous buyer purchased it for $370,000 in May 2008.

DC_Dude

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Talked to a friend of mine the other day. His neighbor's currently selling their condo.

DAMN.

Where do they live?

That’s DC downtown prices lol

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
@DC_Dude

Did the bulk of my work in the 2000s ... working like crazy trying to save as much for a downpayment. Working doubles regularly. Multiple employers, etc. Even then I thought sales / purchase prices weren't good, and that was 15 years ago.

Went to open houses over the course of 6 months from the fall of 2008 until the end of the 1st quarter of 2009.

Pretty much every weekend ... primarily in the following areas - Vancouver, Richmond, Burnaby, New West, Port Moody, Coquitlam, Port Coquitlam, Maple Ridge, and Langley.

Looking at places that were brand new to about 35 years old. Trying to get a feel for everything that was out there.

It's crazy looking at assessed values now ... home included ... which are nearly 2.5 times assessed value at how much I paid back then. Definitely feel for everyone in the rental & home-buying markets. First-time buyers, etc. Renters who are being spread thin with their finances. It's all a shit show really ...

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
So Vancouver housing must be expensive

The property brothers were on CNBC yesterday and was saying Canada has a lot of home buying programs for citizens

Yeah - there's some stuff like first-time home buyers program, etc. But even still ... quite expensive.

Put it this way ... my late grandparents purchased their house in 1959 for x amount. Something small. They passed in 2006 and 2008 respectively. My dad and aunt sold the home in 2009 in the low-600s. The couple that bought the place looked to do a number of renovations and put 200 - 300k into the property. Nice couple - they invited my dad and aunt to stop by anytime to take a look at the changes & updates / renos (as the house was in our family for 50 years). Nice gesture from them. As of summer 2022 the assessed value was 1,848,000.

The assessed value now as of July 2023 is 1,911,000.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
DC,

Property Brothers are good guys ... friend of mine from high school was on their Buying & Selling show in the early-2010s with his wife and kids. They came in and helped them update their kitchen, living & dining rooms. Made the home much more livable.

praetor

Rising Star
OG Investor

Did you mean 2023 instead of 2003?

That thing will be worth $1M before the end of the decade.