SNOWFALL FX discussion thread

Database Error

You're right dawg
OG Investor
Set in 1983, Snowfall is a drama set against the infancy of the crack cocaine epidemic in Los Angeles. The story follows numerous characters on a violent collision course, including a young street entrepreneur, a Mexican wrestler caught in a struggle within a crime family, a CIA operative running from a dark past, and the daughter of a Mexican crime lord. Snowfall premieres Summer 2017 on FX.

ViCiouS

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
I have to be honest

at first I didn't like that trailer

seeing a young Black boy dying in the street and the CRACK written over his head in big letters..

I don't know I just felt mad uncomfortable like that could have done differently and had the same effect.
my guess is the entire series is to make us uncomfortable .... lets see what John Singleton is cooking

fonzerrillii

BGOL Elite Poster
Platinum Member
my guess is the entire series is to make us uncomfortable .... lets see what John Singleton is cooking

Oh shit this is that show... I remember a while ago they were talking about John Singleton working on a Series.

John Singleton + FX muscle = (This thread becoming the Official Discussion Thread) :money:

@Database Error ... time for a name change.

fonzerrillii

BGOL Elite Poster
Platinum Member
He has another show coming to BET called Rebel, but I don't know about that one.

John Singleton brings ‘complex’ black characters to first TV series

By Tashara Jones

March 23, 2017 | 7:59pm | Updated

Modal Trigger
Danielle Mone Truitt (left) stars in "Rebel" as a private investigator in Oakland defending herself from dirty cops.BET
Noted director John Singleton (“Boyz n the Hood,” “2 Fast 2 Furious”) is moving to the small screen for his first TV series — the scripted drama “Rebel,” premiering March 28 on BET.

“I developed ‘Rebel’ as a [big-screen] movie with a friend, Armani Jackson, and over time it became a TV show,” says Singleton. “The first episode is like a movie.”

The series follows Rebel (Danielle Moné Truitt), a police officer in Oakland, Calif. who leaves the force after being under criminal investigation for shooting her partner to stop him from gunning down her little brother. She continues fighting crime as a private investigator while struggling with her brother’s murder — and defending herself from the dirty cops who are out for revenge.

“This is the first female character that I’ve done since ‘Poetic Justice’ with Janet Jackson,” Singleton says. “I’m usually doing a mixture of male and female characters.”

Singleton says that, when he first met Truitt, he knew he had the right woman for the role.

“You know how I am. I always find new talent,” he says. “When Danielle started talking I said, ‘You see you are a real black girl.’ It was like when I found Taraji [P. Henson]. I want people to say, ‘Yeah, I like her, she is just like me.’ She doesn’t have to be totally refined but not totally busted or ghetto, either. But [Truitt] just has that spice, that flavor.

“There is just something about her.”

She doesn’t have to be totally refined but not totally busted or ghetto, either. But [Truitt] just has that spice, that flavor.

And with the current political climate, and ongoing nationwide protests against law enforcement, Singleton feels the timing for “Rebel” is right. “The time is now. It’s that ‘Black Girl Magic,’” he says. “People will watch [the series] and say, ‘She is like my sister or my cousin.’ She has very vulnerable qualities but is just as complex. You don’t see a lot of complex black people on TV.”

These complexities include Rebel’s husband (rapper/actor Cliff “Method Man” Smith), from whom she’s separated. “Method Man is from the same generation that I am,” Singleton says. “He’s a man’s man and you don’t see men like that on TV. It was important to see Rebel deal with the different facets of her life. She is a complex person that you’ll want to follow week to week.”

Singleton, whose next series “Snowfall” (about the ’80s-era LA coke scene) premieres this summer on FX — says he’s not worried about what critics will think of his new show.

“I never think about what the critics will say. I’m always about the people,” he says. “I remember initially with ‘Boyz n The Hood’ a lot of people had never seen anything like that before. So they didn’t know how to react to it.

“Just because you don’t understand it doesn’t mean you can’t appreciate and respect it.

http://nypost.com/2017/03/23/john-singleton-brings-complex-black-characters-to-first-tv-series/

fonzerrillii

BGOL Elite Poster
Platinum Member
A FIRST LOOK AT JOHN SINGLETON’S FX SERIES ‘SNOWFALL’: “THIS IS HOW CRACK BEGAN”
ARAMIDE TINUBU
March 23, 2017
snowfall_damson_idris-750x375.jpg

It was an epidemic that began in South Central Los Angeles in 1983, slowly festering until it ravaged inner city Black communities across the country.

John Singleton’s forthcoming FX series, Snowfall, is set in the early 1980’s and chronicles what really went on during the early days of the crack cocaine rage. Crack came into South Central and then went everywhere else, changing everything that it touched forever.

Set to premiere on FX this summer, Snowfall follows a series of characters who collide violently on their quest for power during this turbulent time. Newcomer Damson Idris leads as Franklin Saint, a young street entrepreneur. Rounding out the cast is Gustavo Zapata (Sergio Peris-Mencheta), a Mexican wrestler who finds himself in the clutches of a notorious crime family, Lucia Villanueva (Emily Rios), the haughty daughter of a crime lord and Teddy McDonald (Carter Hudson), a CIA operative running from a dark past. The series is will open in the summer of 1983, and by the end, we will find ourselves in 1984, which was essentially the war zone depicted in the opening sequence of the N.W.A biopic, Straight Outta Compton.

At the Television Critics Association earlier this year, Singleton said of the dark and gritty series, “If you went to South Central [before the crack epidemic], there weren’t any bars on windows; there were less fences. This happens, and Snowfall prevails on neighborhoods, changing alliances and families.”

Academy Award-nominated Singleton and his writing staff did not rely on any source materials for the series, however they did use consultants to make sure they got the period just right. One of their main sources was Los Angeles Poet Laureate Luis J. Rodriguez, who was a former gang member and drug user during the 1960s and 1970s. Snowfall’s executive producer and showrunner, Dave Andron said of the series, “People described the period like a bomb being dropped.”

Jay_from_dade

RawStrippers&Nut N Models
Certified Pussy Poster
Y'all ain't tired of the hood, drugs, thug shit yet??? I mean damn are we only known for crime and drugs???

True enough, But Its FX, I watch every show on FX and FXX, except the Americans. I even watch Betty and Joan.

I think its cool they are opening their doors to more black people.

A FIRST LOOK AT JOHN SINGLETON’S FX SERIES ‘SNOWFALL’: “THIS IS HOW CRACK BEGAN”
ARAMIDE TINUBU
March 23, 2017
snowfall_damson_idris-750x375.jpg

It was an epidemic that began in South Central Los Angeles in 1983, slowly festering until it ravaged inner city Black communities across the country.

John Singleton’s forthcoming FX series, Snowfall, is set in the early 1980’s and chronicles what really went on during the early days of the crack cocaine rage. Crack came into South Central and then went everywhere else, changing everything that it touched forever.

Set to premiere on FX this summer, Snowfall follows a series of characters who collide violently on their quest for power during this turbulent time. Newcomer Damson Idris leads as Franklin Saint, a young street entrepreneur. Rounding out the cast is Gustavo Zapata (Sergio Peris-Mencheta), a Mexican wrestler who finds himself in the clutches of a notorious crime family, Lucia Villanueva (Emily Rios), the haughty daughter of a crime lord and Teddy McDonald (Carter Hudson), a CIA operative running from a dark past. The series is will open in the summer of 1983, and by the end, we will find ourselves in 1984, which was essentially the war zone depicted in the opening sequence of the N.W.A biopic, Straight Outta Compton.

At the Television Critics Association earlier this year, Singleton said of the dark and gritty series, “If you went to South Central [before the crack epidemic], there weren’t any bars on windows; there were less fences. This happens, and Snowfall prevails on neighborhoods, changing alliances and families.”

Academy Award-nominated Singleton and his writing staff did not rely on any source materials for the series, however they did use consultants to make sure they got the period just right. One of their main sources was Los Angeles Poet Laureate Luis J. Rodriguez, who was a former gang member and drug user during the 1960s and 1970s. Snowfall’s executive producer and showrunner, Dave Andron said of the series, “People described the period like a bomb being dropped.”

Rebel the premise has promise, but the lead actor is terrible. :smh:

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Y'all ain't tired of the hood, drugs, thug shit yet??? I mean damn are we only known for crime and drugs???
would you rather them be savage knights having lots of gay, pedo, and incest sex and being a critically acclaimed show like a lot of these cac medieval times show... or a zombie series in the hood.. or a black sci fi show where they go to a diff planet every week fighting diff color aliens and nobody ever dies in the cast and they have long boring convo's throughout the show, or a sitcom with 3 roomates 1 emo dude, another gay dude, and a bad chick that makes them both look like morons throughout the show..wait my god isn't that what most cacs shows are so flip the script and give weirdo hollywood the ability to make those same shows with black faces.. yep crime and drugs don't sound to bad now after all..better than 20 yrs of slavery or the doorman, or the cook, or the sitter

Dr. Truth

GOD to all Women
BGOL Investor
would you rather them be savage knights having lots of gay, pedo, and incest sex and being a critically acclaimed show like a lot of these cac medieval times show... or a zombie series in the hood.. or a black sci fi show where they go to a diff planet every week fighting diff color aliens and nobody ever dies in the cast and they have long boring convo's throughout the show, or a sitcom with 3 roomates 1 emo dude, another gay dude, and a bad chick that makes them both look like morons throughout the show..wait my god isn't that what most cacs shows are so flip the script and give weirdo hollywood the ability to make those same shows with black faces.. yep crime and drugs don't sound to bad now after all
That's cac history. Our period pieces would be about great civilizations, I'd rather watch a black game of thrones or something about a successful African kingdom or All black space crew doing space travel. I'm sick of this shit.

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
That's cac history. Our period pieces would be about great civilizations, I'd rather watch a black game of thrones or something about a successful African kingdom or All black space crew doing space travel. I'm sick of this shit.
it's hollywood ur talking about..prepare for 30 yrs slavery or the worst knights ever or the great white hope that teaches them to be civilized...space/time traveling will be of them goin to see are worst of times(not the best)

Duece

Get your shit together
BGOL Investor
So Rebel was fucking the dude who almost killed her brother, then the cops pull up and kill her brother..

roots69

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Hmm.. Just read the book The Dark Alliance!!! That will tell you everything you need too know!! Ill keep saying it, Fuck the MSM!! How long are we going to let them paint us in this bad light, before we say fuck it and cut the damn cord?? Oh yeah I forgot, we are the largest ethnic group that watches Tel lie vision programming!!

Mrfreddygoodbud

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Hmm.. Just read the book The Dark Alliance!!! That will tell you everything you need too know!! Ill keep saying it, Fuck the MSM!! How long are we going to let them paint us in this bad light, before we say fuck it and cut the damn cord?? Oh yeah I forgot, we are the largest ethnic group that watches Tel lie vision programming!!

Yea it's funny how they trying to go back to them days now that heroin is devastating
Their communities

We really don't get how these films effect people's mindset on a global basis...

We need to make a film on heroin and show how the givt protects poppy seed fields in Afghanistan and how the cac community is devastated by that

Networks got nerve going thirty years in the past when they have a current story right here to tell..

I may eventually check it out who knows maybe they will surprise us and admit the cia

Introduced the drug into the hoods if America

Or admit that America is ran on drug money without it...

America as we know it will stop in its tracks since all of our tax money goes to England and the vatican and none of it is spent on

Infrastructure and our well being

Good news is many are waking up to that shit

Just won't be televised

Ill Paragraph

Lord of the Perfect Black
BGOL Investor
Peace,

I have to be honest

at first I didn't like that trailer

seeing a young Black boy dying in the street and the CRACK written over his head in big letters..

I don't know I just felt mad uncomfortable like that could have done differently and had the same effect.

That's where I am with it. Shit seems way too sensationalized and over the top. I'm always skeptical about how we're going to be portrayed in these.

roots69

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Yea it's funny how they trying to go back to them days now that heroin is devastating
Their communities

We really don't get how these films effect people's mindset on a global basis...

We need to make a film on heroin and show how the givt protects poppy seed fields in Afghanistan and how the cac community is devastated by that

Networks got nerve going thirty years in the past when they have a current story right here to tell..

I may eventually check it out who knows maybe they will surprise us and admit the cia

Introduced the drug into the hoods if America

Or admit that America is ran on drug money without it...

America as we know it will stop in its tracks since all of our tax money goes to England and the vatican and none of it is spent on

Infrastructure and our well being

Good news is many are waking up to that shit

Just won't be televised

Bro, you know there not going to touch that heroin story. That would blow the cover. I heard someone say, America is a empty shell, we dont produce anything anymore, drugs are our biggest import and the prison system is the most profitable business!!

When you break down the real drug game to folks, its hard for them to wrap their heads around it.. People dont like their illusion of america disturbed and they wanna sit back a bask in sum fake ass dream.. Now we have to deal with trump for 3 1/2yrs, because these folks wanted to go back to the 50's!! And this guy wants to ramp up the war on cannabis. They want their cut back, thats all their doing!!

Your right on about the queen and the pope, people dont realize how deep their hands are in our pockets!! As usual not many wanna entertain those types of thoughts..

Anyway, I wont be watching this show about the crack era.. I lived thru those days, I seen alot of good people get tore up during those days.. I also saw sum bad folks turn into crazed manics!! I saw the total break down in the black community, the destruction of the black family and saw blacks turn on other blacks all over a drug that was placed in the inner city to fund wars on other brown skinned people..

Mrfreddygoodbud

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Bro, you know there not going to touch that heroin story. That would blow the cover. I heard someone say, America is a empty shell, we dont produce anything anymore, drugs are our biggest import and the prison system is the most profitable business!!

When you break down the real drug game to folks, its hard for them to wrap their heads around it.. People dont like their illusion of america disturbed and they wanna sit back a bask in sum fake ass dream.. Now we have to deal with trump for 3 1/2yrs, because these folks wanted to go back to the 50's!! And this guy wants to ramp up the war on cannabis. They want their cut back, thats all their doing!!

Your right on about the queen and the pope, people dont realize how deep their hands are in our pockets!! As usual not many wanna entertain those types of thoughts..

Anyway, I wont be watching this show about the crack era.. I lived thru those days, I seen alot of good people get tore up during those days.. I also saw sum bad folks turn into crazed manics!! I saw the total break down in the black community, the destruction of the black family and saw blacks turn on other blacks all over a drug that was placed in the inner city to fund wars on other brown skinned people..

yea it destroyed a lot of people but I also seen some folks over come it, in fact I know of a few people who had mothers and fathers hooked on that shit, and they are doing

very good for themselves..

of course their story wont be told...