Side Hustle: The Vending Machine Business

mailboxpimp

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
s-l640.jpg

As with any vending machine placement, you need to consider the hours of operation, the demographics of the people, why they are there, and any competition, including other vending machines and other refreshment options.

With an airport, I'd say you have a captive audience that is often in need of quick food or a refreshment to help pass the time. In addition, you'd see exceptional hours of operation, potentially 24 hours a day - however there is a slew of competition, and most restaurants offer premade food and/or other snacks that patrons can grab in a hurry. And as a side note, restocking these vending machines will probably be very time consuming, as I'm sure you'd need to park fairly far from the machine and go through limited security measures each time you arrive.

If airport placements fit into your vending model, and you can seamlessly integrate them into your route, I'd say it may be worth trying, but be cautious and continuously audit their performance.

rent or revenue sharing with airports, if it's anything like malls, be prepared to pay a handsome amount (upwards of 40% of sales)

s-l640.jpg

How much does 1 vending machine gross a month?
“A” as in, one? I do not know of any kind of vending machine that, after costs are deducted, that will generate a profit because of the cost of the labor of buying and merchandising and maintenance. Vending only works on scale. It takes , typically, ten machines on location selling to generate revenue beyond expenses.

Even if you got a machine for free, you might think you are making money, then it needs a repair, and wipes out six months of what you thought was “ profit”

The vending industry is an old line established industry. It is rapidly evolving. Candy machines take credit cards. Micro markets are replacing banks of machines at hotels and office parks.

How much should I pay a location to place my vending machine there?

There are usually two ways to do this: a space lease or a “participation” location.

A space lease is where you pay the location owner a set amount each month for use of the space. You’d have to contact other locations/vendors in your area to find out what the going rate is in your area.

A participation location is essentially a profit-sharing plan. You give the location a set percentage of the machine’s “drop” (gross revenue). When I worked for a gaming company, that was a 60/40 split, with the location receiving the 40%. This can be good for lower revenue spots, or spots with no history to determine what’s the best way to proceed.

Whichever you choose, you’d make the first lease expire in either 6 or 12 months. That gives you plenty of history to determine whether the machines are profitable and whether it might be wise on your part to change the type of lease. Be warned, though: It’s easy to switch if it will make the location more money. It’s not easy to change from a $150 average on participation to a $125 static space lease, but quite easy to change to a 60/40 participation if the machine regularly grosses $500 a month.

tips for starting a vending machine business
  • There are DEFINITELY better brands (easier to fix, more standard in design, more reliable, etc.) of vending machine than others.
  • USED vending machines are sometimes the BEST investment.
  • Its almost ALWAYS BETTER to have BOTH a snack and beverage machine in any particular location.
  • The more people at a location, the greater variety of products that you can afford to offer to appeal to a greater variety of people.
  • Pick a minimum location size (number of people, closed or open to the public, etc.) and STICK to it. You’re not making your work-life easier or growing your business by taking on a small location.
  • Have, use, and get signed (by your customers) a Services Agreement that sets up the expectations that the customer can expect from you and what you expect from them.
  • BIGGER (more selections) machines aren’t always better. Be selective with equipment placement.
  • Have ENOUGH machines for a location. If you have to return multiple times a week (or a day) to refill a machine (congrats on that), but this is a clear indication that there is NOT ENOUGH EQUIPMENT on site. Make your life easier and add more machines to handle the traffic and sales volume.
  • Doorways suck and are and will be the biggest obstacle to your plans. Doors can be momentarily removed or machine parts removed to make them fit through a doorway, but doorways will likely NEVER be modified for your business needs.
  • Just because YOU PERSONALLY LIKE a product doesn’t mean it will sell OR you will make a profit on it.
  • Just because YOU PERSONALLY DON’T LIKE a product doesn’t mean it won’t sell or you can’t make a profit on it.
  • Check grocery and convenience store pricing (especially ones near the vending location) and try to match or be a little under and stock recognizable items like brand name snacks and candy. As cheap as “Uncle John’s Chocolate Spectacular” bar (instead of Hershey chocolate bars) might be, if no one buys it, you lose money.
  • AVOID GENERIC brands bought from big box stores like Costco or Sam’s Club, no one pays a premium price for a brand that they usually buy in bulk.
  • Stick to mainstream/common products unless someone requests something specific AND THEN actually buys it. LOTS of people ask for things they have no intention of actually buying.
  • If an item doesn’t work out, try discounting BEFORE you remove it to recover some of your costs. And resist the temptation to just leave it out as a free item. If possible, let people know that you remove items BECAUSE no one bought them.
  • Avoid locations on upper levels that DO NOT have elevators unless the equipment you are installing can be carried by one person.
  • AVOID coffee vending machines at all costs until you have money to burn. The learning curve is HIGH and good (high traffic, easy access, and/or non-cheapskate/coffee-snob customer) locations are NOT EASY to get or find.
  • Always think in terms of volume for your whole business, don’t be cheap about a single location, but don’t overspend on a single location either.
  • If you need just one of a certain part, buy 2 or 3 or more if they are cheap. Spare or backup parts are invaluable once you learn when they are needed.
  • Shop around, the price difference on exactly the same items from one supplier to another can be alarmingly different; this is true for parts, accessories, repair services, etc., not just the products you sell.
  • Get an account with Pepsi, Coke and/or 7-Up/Snapple/Dr. Pepper Group (now owned by Keurig/Green Mountain, yes, the coffee people) just for access to their equipment. Buy enough product, you get free use of their vending machines. You’ll still have to buy snack machines, so refer back to the first two tips.
  • If you plan to be in this business for the long haul, attend at least one NAMA OneShow (The Premiere Vending and Refreshment Services Trade Show) once you think you can afford it or just want to for the experience and exposure to the industry. The contacts you’ll make and the products or services you’ll learn about will be invaluable. But, don’t rely solely on what you find there. There’s nothing like a good LOCAL resource that you can visit in person instead of ordering something and paying for shipping.
Agree to pay a commission on locations that are open to the public AND have a decent amount of traffic.
If the potential sales are questionable, then include a “revenue minimum” in the commission agreement.
If the machine does not generate enough sales for any particular period of time, then you don’t owe a commission.
If they don’t believe my reported numbers, they can check the machine’s counters.
If the location is NOT open to the public and they want a commission, pass.

mailboxpimp

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
Where To Start
UsedVending.comThis is the ultimate resources for finding just about any type of vending machine for sale on the planet and allows you to conduct searches based on price, location, and type of vending machine or vehicle.

What UsedVending.com does is connect seller’s with buyer from around the United States and published information like photos, dimensions, and other specs from the equipment. If you’re just beginning on your search for a snack machine, look for equipment within driving distance of your home base. This will help reduce costs and is the best place to begin the search.

CraigsList.org – If you’re willing to put in some time looking around, CraigsList.org can be a good way to find a deal in your area. Quality vending equipment won’t be available 24/7, but you can snag some deals from time to time assuming you’ve got patience and a little luck.

One thing to remember with a website like CraigsList.org is that there’s typically a bit a wiggle room in the final price of the machines. Often, anyone that’s selling here is looking to “offload” the equipment and are basically trying to get anything they can for machines. This creates the perfect situation for you to buy low!

Sam’s Club – Believe it or not, you can buy some pretty affordable soda and snack machines through the big box retailer. Most of these are entry level, more generic types of soda and snack machines.

The entry-level price points aren’t too bad and the return policy is rock solid if you want to return the equipment within a reasonable time period. One of the nice little known benefits of Sam’s Club is that you can also have supplies shipped to your home for free. No need to run to the store for sodas or candy to replenish.

CandyMachines.com – If you’re looking for an entry point into the vending machine business but don’t have a lot to spend, CandyMachines.com is a quality option. CandyMachines.com only provides new machines that dispense items like gum balls, peanuts, and other novelties such as temporary tattoos.

Some of the most popular products available is the triple pod. This offers three different candy options in one machine and starts at under $800 to purchase. You can learn more about this business model in a previous interview conducted with the company here.

eBay / Amazon.com – Between eBay and Amazon.com you can find just about any product that’s ever been created. One of the nice elements of going the Amazon route to make a purchase is that you’ll find numerous customer reviews of the product you’re considering. These reviews can give you a realistic idea of how the machine will operate longterm.

One thing to look out for on these websites is that certain gum ball and candy machines are designed for novelty, not business purposes that requires equipment that will stand up to wear and tear. A safe rule of thumb is that if the price is under $200 it’s likely too cheaply made to be used for a business purpose. If you’re just purchasing to have it around the house that’s another story and it might serve the need just fine.

Auction – Occasionally, you’ll be able to locate pre-owned vending equipment at auction. The only downside to purchasing in this way is that you often need to buy without testing the equipment first. The last thing you want to do is buy a bunch of machines that will frequently break down and require repair. Although the price could be low, repairing faulty equipment will be a never ending nightmare.

One of the big benefits of operating a vending machine route is that it’s relatively passive and doesn’t require a lot of time once you get the foundation in place. If you buy “cheap” machines that break down frequently, the job will require a lot more time and energy.

ORIGINAL NATION

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Good drop. But where would you put the vending machines? One thing I know is that we do not want to end up in jail for having to bust on someone for vandalizing or anything.

John Million

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Check out this brother Marcus Gram on Twitter

I just got his vending machine course for $50
He breaks it all down for you

John Million

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I can appreciate that...

Just tell me this, what's the price range for start up costs?

Is it in the $500 - $1000

Or a little more?

No Problem

"The startup cost to owning a vending machine business can vary. I typically suggest people be prepared to spend between $2000-3000. When you add up refurbished machine cost ($700-$1800) card readers ($300-600) product (150-300), coins for the machine (50-100), and moving cost ($200-300), it'll cost between 2000-3000 depending on whether you get one or two vending machines. Card readers are optional, but with more and more people using credit cards and apple pay, it's highly recommended that you add card readers to your machines. The startup cost provided does not include things such as website cost, business cards, or any type of branding items. This is the bare minimum that you will need to start your vending business. Now if you plan on growing your business further than one or two locations, you may want to include website cost, business card cost, and business attire cost. Website cost vary. I paid way too much for a website. I'd suggest paying $150-500 for a website (we create websites at Joyner Vending). For business cards you want 100 cards and that should cost you about $40. Hats and shirts should cost you $35-50. You should always prepare for miscellaneous things. These are rough estimates. It may cost more, or it may cost less. Just be prepared. You want to be as flexible as possible and leave yourself some leeway."

Its a little more than I figured. I would like to partner with someone to do this business

Pack Rat

Imperturbable
BGOL Investor
Most of the companies around me are getting out of the vending food machines. The cafeterias look like 7-11, you just take the food off the shelves and scan it at the register...lots of cameras tho. :rolleyes: