Shock G AKA Humpty Hump passes away at 57.

woodchuck

A crowd pleasing man.
OG Investor
I remember meeting him outside the Wiltern (sp?) Theater in L.A. a while back. I told him my younger brother damn near worships DU, and he asked me to call him so he could speak to him. Called my little bro and told him someone wanted to speak to him. I gave Shock G my phone and he immediately goes into his Humpty Hump character. My brother was in heaven that night! Shock was a cool dude.

Mr. Met

So Amazin
BGOL Investor

Ezq8ZEIXoAQ_ide

Ninja05

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
This one hit me hard. Randomly saw him on BART with my brotha. Weird story - we just hit SF after my grandma passed away (just to chill and get our mind off this shit). We just chopped it up with him off Hen - shared a shot and had a great convo from Powell Street to MacArthur. As a Nupe that grew up in the Town, my brother and I both let him know how much love DU got across the board.

For some reason, this shit has hit me harder than I expected. My Brother and I were just chilling after my daughter's 1st birthday when we got the news. Fucked up. Rest in Power -

donwuan

The Legend
BGOL Investor
This one hit me hard. Randomly saw him on BART with my brotha. Weird story - we just hit SF after my grandma passed away (just to chill and get our mind off this shit). We just chopped it up with him off Hen - shared a shot and had a great convo from Powell Street to MacArthur. As a Nupe that grew up in the Town, my brother and I both let him know how much love DU got across the board.

For some reason, this shit has hit me harder than I expected. My Brother and I were just chilling after my daughter's 1st birthday when we got the news. Fucked up. Rest in Power -

Stay Up Bro

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Rest in peace.

Saw the headline this morning & did a double-take. Been checking out more of the music video reaction clips in recent months, including several for "Humpty Dance" lately. Fun seeing people hear it for the first time. Knowing how dope the song still is 30+ years later!

Snyckerbar76

Accidentally gave a fuck on Dec. 11, 2019.
BGOL Investor
Rest in peace, Shock G!

When I get to heaven, I'm going to humbly ask God to time travel back to now so I can see THIS "Welcome Home" concert at the pearly gates... Black Rob, Shock G, and DMX... too many, too soon.

Keepthapeace

well-known lurker
BGOL Investor
No Pac without Shock and DU... That's all some cats need to know how special this brother was, but fam if you grew up in the 88 - 94 era of hip hop... including DU coming on the scene you enjoyed some real classics. DU and Shock to me revolutionize the hip hop storytelling from 80's into the 90's as they brought a real hip hop story character to life within the storytelling of hip hop which I think separated them with the Humpty character. Just a hell of a baseline still rocking to this day... Real talk, the DU sex packets album needs to go down as one of the top albums ever made.
And lastly bruh, this is quite simply the greatest hip hop duo song ever recorded IMO... R.l.P to a legend...

trapture

Rising Star
Registered
I don't know if this has been mentioned already.

Some people may not realize the impact that Shock G made in hip hop and R&B production. The Humpty Snare or Humpty Clap (also used on "Same Song") that he made famous, was one of the most popular snares in music production for years after that song was released. So many artists used the snare/clap and even the loop/break after the song was released. I still remember the time when I first got to isolate it as a sample.

What I didn't know is that it could be traced back to George Clinton. I should have known. It was an extension of The P Funk.

And I won't even go back into the usage of the drum loop.

Sampling "The Humpty Dance"
"The Humpty Dance" is one of the most sampled songs recorded by a hip hop/rap artist, boasting over 100 usages in other songs.[9] By 1993, less than three years after its release, it had already been sampled in over 20 popular songs, most of them utilizing its drum track. In fact, it was sampled so much that Digital Underground humorously devoted the song "The Humpty Dance Awards" from their album The Body-Hat Syndrome to the many recording artists who sampled the track.[10] Since then, dozens more artists have sampled the Humpty Dance song, from Ice Cube to Public Enemy.

Last edited: