RIP Max Julien

HAR125LEM

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Like "SHAFT" and "SUPERFLY" before it,
"THE MACK" was a major groundbreaker in terms of its contribution to the Black Film Experience.

As I got older, I just hated the term "Blaxploitation" more and more. To Me, it just belittled what many of these Black actors were doing in those days. Or forced to do. Making practically everything they did a joke. Because HollyWeird didn't give them much choice in roles other than playing Pimps, Prostitutes, Hustlers, Slaves, etc.

But those Black Actors made the BEST of those roles. That's why many of these "Blaxploitation" films stand out as CLASSICS to this day.

R.I.P. to The Mack!!!

Llano

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Like "SHAFT" and "SUPERFLY" before it,
"THE MACK" was a major groundbreaker in terms of its contribution to the Black Film Experience.

As I got older, I just hated the term "Blaxploitation" more and more. To Me, it just belittled what many of these Black actors were doing in those days. Or forced to do. Making practically everything they did a joke. Because HollyWeird didn't give them much choice in roles other than playing Pimps, Prostitutes, Hustlers, Slaves, etc.

But those Black Actors made the BEST of those roles. That's why many of these "Blaxploitation" films stand out as CLASSICS to this day.

R.I.P. to The Mack!!!

And most importantly Blackxploitation saved Hollywood during that era. The studios put just a small amount into the budgeting of these movies but they were very profitable as people flooded theaters to see them. The studios recognized that and pumped theses movies out non stop.

Michael Jai White explains it in this clip.

kdogg3270

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
Damn, the Mack, Superfly and Shaft are some of favorite 70s blaxploitation movies. RIP to Max Julien. I like that part where he took Pretty Tony’s chic. That was fire! RIP!
messed up that pretty tony had his mother killed in the film.
Roger E. Moseley's character looked so broken when he said " you brought death to our doorstep".
that was heartbreaking

Megatron X

A Prophet of Doom
BGOL Investor
messed up that pretty tony had his mother killed in the film.
Roger E. Moseley's character looked so broken when he said " you brought death to our doorstep".
that was heartbreaking

how did Pretty Tony have his mother killed? It was those two white cops who murdered his mother.

but another favorite scene was when he and his brother took out those 2 cops. That was fire.

kdogg3270

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
how did Pretty Tony have his mother killed? It was those two white cops who murdered his mother.

but another favorite scene was when he and his brother took out those 2 cops. That was fire.
not sure, but after he made that remark about wishing you were never born, his mother turned up dead
i'm thinking he had those cops do it

Megatron X

A Prophet of Doom
BGOL Investor
At the end of the Mack movie was that Richard Pryor who the cops killed? It was always a mystery to me.

mrcmd187

Controversy Creates Cash
BGOL Investor
RIP
damn-damn-damn-florida-evans.gif

joneblaze

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
MAX JULIEN in How To Be A Player : you see a woman wants to be played !! yeah sometimes thats true brother RIP