Ring Magazine Knockout Of The Year (1989-2010)

kes1111

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

1989: Michael Nunn KO 1 Sumbu Kalambay
1990: Terry Norris KO 1 John Mugabi
1991: no award was given
1992: Morris East KO 11 Akinobu Hiranaka
1992: Kennedy McKinney KO 11 Welcome Ncita
1993: Gerald McClellan KO 5 Julian Jackson
1994: George Foreman KO 10 Michael Moorer
1995: Julio César Vásquez KO 11 Carl Daniels
1996: Wilfredo Vázquez KO 11 Eloy Rojas
1997: Arturo Gatti KO 5 Gabriel Ruelas
1998: Roy Jones Jr. KO 4 Virgil Hill
1999: Derrick Jefferson KO 6 Maurice Harris
2000: Ben Tackie KO 10 Roberto Garcia
2001: Lennox Lewis KO 4 Hasim Rahman
2002: Lennox Lewis KO 8 Mike Tyson
2003: Rocky Juarez KO 10 Antonio Diaz
2004: Antonio Tarver KO 2 Roy Jones Jr.
2005: Allan Green KO 1 Jaidon Codrington
2006: Calvin Brock KO 6 Zuri Lawrence
2007: Nonito Donaire KO 5 Vic Darchinyan
2008: Edison Miranda KO 3 David Banks
2009: Manny Pacquiao KO 2 Ricky Hatton
2010: Sergio Gabriel Martínez KO 2 Paul Williams

Last edited:

Spectrum

Elite Poster
BGOL Investor

seemed like KOd Moorer with damn near a good jab

Spectrum

Elite Poster
BGOL Investor

Remember watching that live... that shit officially ended Roy Jones Jr's career... he just hasn't made it official. Tarver actually beat him in the first fight but this one ended it.

Spectrum

Elite Poster
BGOL Investor

That is when Tyson officially "quit" boxing. He could have kept fighting as he was still "there" and not really out.. He just realized it was over. At that point he was only fighting for checks but he was retired.

Spectrum

Elite Poster
BGOL Investor
2010: Sergio Gabriel Martínez KO 2 Paul Williams

that was number one for me for a lot of reasons. There were others that may have been bigger punches, more historic, but Martinez threw the perfect punch against a cat that had never really been hurt like that

Firefox

Support BGOL
Registered

seemed like KOd Moorer with damn near a good jab

I bet thats what Moorer was thinking too..."This old ass nigga think he can hurt me with a ja...Zzzz Zzzzz Zzzz" :roflmao:

...That man was heavy handed. I believe I heard a commentator/ fighter state that being hit by him is like being hit with a telephone post. :lol:

One of my fav KO's of all time. I remember that moment as if it were yesterday. Nobody believed he could win. I didn't really care for Moore as a fighter at the time anyways. So I was glad when Big George cut the niggas' lights off like Con Ed. :lol:

Shit was funny as hell. Mad old niggas got inspired by him and would be like "don't get slick at the mouth youngin' cause I'm old - you seen what Foreman did right?" :lol:

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
Tarver actually lost the first one.

Fucked up gif and all but I'm all the way with you on this one. Tarver won the first two rounds and the 11th and that's it. He just did better than anyone else in recent memory against Roy.

Firefox
Damn near killed me with this shit

I bet thats what Moorer was thinking too..."This old ass nigga think he can hurt me with a ja...Zzzz Zzzzz Zzzz"
:lol::lol:

da_monumental_1

LinuxGawd & BOFH
BGOL Investor

Remember watching that live... that shit officially ended Roy Jones Jr's career... he just hasn't made it official. Tarver actually beat him in the first fight but this one ended it.

Roy won the first one. Tarver later admitted he ran out of gas and that's how Roy won three of the last four rounds that gave him the victory. Hell, Buddy McGirt kept begging him to punch after Jones would flurry. Tarver blew his load in the middle of the 10th with a good rally and threw a flurry before the bell that hit air and arms. It was pretty much over after that.

That is when Tyson officially "quit" boxing. He could have kept fighting as he was still "there" and not really out.. He just realized it was over. At that point he was only fighting for checks but he was retired.

Mike quit boxing on February 11, 1990. He pretty much alluded to it in the post-fight interview in his last fight w/ Kevin McBride.

He had to use uncontrolled aggression to defeat his opponents like Arguello did fighting Billy Costello when he got older. Mike, for the most part, was a cool headed fighter before then.

If you ever get a hold of this, you'll understand what I'm talking about when it gets to Arguello's part. It used to be on YT.

Spectrum

Elite Poster
BGOL Investor
Tarver actually lost the first one.

Man. I watched that fight live and on my card I had Tarver up. I thought he clearly outboxed RJJ (just my opinion). And I was a huge RJJ fan at that point.

But maybe I need to watch it again. Maybe I was so used to RJJ dominating that I was giving rounds to Tarver just because he was holding his own.

Spectrum

Elite Poster
BGOL Investor
...That man was heavy handed. I believe I heard a commentator/ fighter state that being hit by him is like being hit with a telephone post. :lol:

TRUE. Foreman was a heavy-handed muthafucka but looked like he just caught him with two quick solid jabs :lol:

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
Man. I watched that fight live and on my card I had Tarver up. I thought he clearly outboxed RJJ (just my opinion). And I was a huge RJJ fan at that point.

But maybe I need to watch it again. Maybe I was so used to RJJ dominating that I was giving rounds to Tarver just because he was holding his own.

After I watched it a second time, I took back a couple rounds I had for Tarver. The judges got that one right.
Watch how his punch output falls way off after the 2nd round when Roy starts hitting him back. RJJ's power was still there and once Antonio felt it, he didn't want to feel it anymore. Coming down from heavyweight made Roy sluggish at the beginning and he weakened in the last rounds but I still had to give him the 12th. Tarver didn't really hit shit in the 11th but he was more active and being the aggressor.

shamone

Rising Star
OG Investor

tyson said in his doc, that when he came out of prison, he was boxing solely for the checks.

thoughtone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
1970815_10152047956298558_2089828277_n.jpg

A Portrait of five American Heavyweight Boxers who at one time or another wore the Crown of the World Heavyweight Champion, taken Sept. 23 1976:

“Smokin" Joe Frazier, Jimmy Ellis, Muhammad Ali, Joe "The Brown Bomber" Louis & Floyd Patterson.

Soul On Ice

Democrat 1st!
Certified Pussy Poster
I bet thats what Moorer was thinking too..."This old ass nigga think he can hurt me with a ja...Zzzz Zzzzz Zzzz" :roflmao:

One of my fav KO's of all time. I remember that moment as if it were yesterday. Nobody believed he could win. I didn't really care for Moore as a fighter at the time anyways. So I was glad when Big George cut the niggas' lights off like Con Ed. :lol:

Shit was funny as hell. Mad old niggas got inspired by him and would be like "don't get slick at the mouth youngin' cause I'm old - you seen what Foreman did right?" :lol:

:lol::lol:

kes1111

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

tarver-anim.gif