Regina King Directs Movie About Ali, Malcolm X, Sam Cooke, & Jim Brown

wwetv100

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
Actor-director Regina King’s feature directorial debut, based on Kemp Powers’ play, is a fictionalized account of a 1964 meeting between Malcolm X, Muhammad Ali, Sam Cooke, and Jim Brown.

Fresh on the heels of her Academy Award for If Beale Street Could Talk and her acclaimed lead performance in the Watchmen television series, Regina King makes her feature directing debut with a drama that draws entertainment and activism, fame and principle, together on one fabled evening.

MORE....

CptMARVEL

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Looks promising.
But because it's a movie about 4 strong, iconic, historically relevant Black men, l can guarantee you that somehow the LGBTQ folks will manage to feature prominently in this story.

Just wait... :smh:

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

On review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds an approval rating of 97% based on 108 reviews, with an average rating of 8.40/10. The website's critics consensus reads: "A hauntingly powerful reflection on larger-than-life figures, One Night in Miami finds Regina King in command of her craft in her feature directorial debut."[22] On Metacritic, it has a weighted average score of 81 out of 100, based on 19 critics, indicating "universal acclaim".[23]

Kate Erbland of IndieWire gave the film an "A–" and said that "Yes, One Night in Miami often looks like the play it's based on, but King and her stars make the most of any stage-y limitations, and the filmmaker frequently turns her eye to well-assembled overhead shots and a graceful use of mirrors to keep her many characters in the frame all at once."[24] Owen Gleiberman of Variety praised the characters and the film's parallels to modern day, writing: "One Night in Miami is a casually entrancing debate about power on the part of those who have won it but are still figuring out what to do with it."[25]

At TIFF, the film was named first runner up for the People's Choice Award.[26]

hocjo2626

Horace C. Jones II
Registered
I didn't watch it yet. I just got finished watching Outside The Wire. I'll check out One Night In Miami later on tonight with my wife. I can't wait.

Duece

Get your shit together
BGOL Investor
Good movie.

But Nigel Thatch does Malcolm so damn well, he could have easily slid into this movie and done a damn good job and better than Kingsley Ben-Adir does here but Ben-Adir doesn't flop, it's just that Thatch's Malcolm is so well done..

durham

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Good movie.

But Nigel Thatch does Malcolm so damn well, he could have easily slid into this movie and done a damn good job and better than Kingsley Ben-Adir does here but Ben-Adir doesn't flop, it's just that Thatch's Malcolm is so well done..

Agree 100%