• Yes

Votes: 42 85.7%
  • No

Votes: 7 14.3%

• Total voters

Chicutie

~Brown Suga~
BGOL Investor
Real Talk: Have been tested for HIV? If no, why not? If yes, what was the deciding factor in getting tested?

I-Want-U2get-HIV-Test.jpg

This is an older article but research shows that the sooner you get treatment and the more complaint you are with medications the longer you can live. HIV/AIDS is no longer a death sentence. It's possible to live with the disease for several years after diagnosis.

A huge drawback of treatment is the cost. Many drug companies such as Pfizer, offer HIV medications at no cost. (And other medications also if you qualify.)

http://www.pfizerhelpfulanswers.com/pages/misc/Default.aspx

Life expectancy increases for HIV patients

An American found to have the virus that causes AIDS can expect to live for about 24 years on average, and the cost of health care over that time is more than $600,000, new research indicates.

Both life expectancy and the cost of care have risen from earlier estimates, mainly because of expensive and effective drug therapies, said Bruce Schackman, an assistant professor of public health at the Weill Medical College of Cornell University in New York and the study’s lead author.

The research found the average annual cost of care was $25,200, about 40% higher than a commonly cited estimate from the late 1990s. A 1993 estimate of life expectancy for a symptomless person infected with HIV was less than seven years.

The new study appears in the November edition of the peer-reviewed journal Medical Care.

Since the mid 1990s, about two dozen HIV-fighting antiretroviral drugs have come onto the market that have essentially turned the virus from a death sentence into a chronic disease.

Physicians now understand life expectancy after HIV diagnosis to be two decades or more, and the new study supports that belief.

http://www.advocate.com/news_detail_ektid39403.asp

Last edited:

xfactor

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Real Talk: Have been tested for HIV? If no, why not? If yes, what the deciding factor in getting tested?

Isn't that a given?

Anyone that is sexually active should get tested like having a regular physical or doctor's appointment.

Then again, this is BGOL. :hmm:

Chicutie

~Brown Suga~
BGOL Investor
Isn't that a given?

Anyone that is sexually active should get tested like having a regular physical or doctor's appointment.

Then again, this is BGOL. :hmm:

No it's actually not a given. . . You would be surprised how many people I know that have NOT been tested.

xfactor

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
No it's actually not a given. . . You would be surprised how many people I know that have NOT been tested.

I know this. Some people just really don't care about the health of themselves (or others)

I hope that YOU get tested. Thanks for doing the right thing in making people aware.

You might just guilt someone into going to the clinic.

Sadly, I know some people that don't get tested (or go to the doctor period) because they are scared of hearing the results. How silly is that. :rolleyes:

Chicutie

~Brown Suga~
BGOL Investor
I know this. Some people just really don't care about the health of themselves (or others)

I hope that YOU get tested. Thanks for doing the right thing in making people aware.

You might just guilt someone into going to the clinic.

Sadly, I know some people that don't get tested (or go to the doctor period) because they are scared of hearing the results. How silly is that. :rolleyes:

I don't want to guilt anyone. . But I think people should know that today they have options. People look at HIV like it will be the end of their life, but I won't. With the right treatment you could still live a full life.

As for me, I've been tested. It was a spur of the moment thing but it's a relief to know.

What about you?

Adam Knows

YouTube: Adam Knows
Platinum Member
i just take full advantage of having to pay out all this money for me and everyone else to have medical coverage...

originally it's because i'm genuinely paranoid about catching ish...

never had sex without a condom til i got married and still got checked every 6 mos. - 1 year

ladyscorpio

Lively up yourself
Super Moderator
Every physical I get tested. I was actually tested this past October. Its a given for me. Its funny my doc asked me why I wanted to be tested...I was like well its always to be better safe than sorry correct. Its not a big deal. Draw some blood test it. Give results.

I know people as well who are petrified of being tested. Had to go with a girlfriend as her support she would NOT go otherwise. :smh: I was like its your health and potentially your partners why not get it over with. Some people fear what they cannot control.

MCP

International
International Member
I get myself tested regularly at least twice a year. In addition to this if I'm in a new relationship, I normally suggest to her that we both get tested before anything 'bed bumping' takes place.

peterpiper1978

Star
Registered
Of course. The first time i got tested was a few years back when entering nursing school. you have to get tested for HBV and HCV. the doctor convinced me to include HIV in the panel so i did. It was scary as fuck because i got a call from the secretary and she left a voice mail saying the doc needed totalk to me about my results. My life flashed before my eyes. So when i get to the office, i try to convince the clerk to just gimme my results and let me leave. of course she wouldn't. so after waiting an hour to be seen (a damn near bout to vomit) the doc walks in. He was like are you ready. i was like yeah. he said everything came out negative and i was shocked because of the nature of the voice mail. i must tell you that was the best feeling i can remember. even better than when my son was born. So i told him about the voice mail and even replayed it for him on the speaker phone. he laughed and said that clerks can't give out results. i told him she still needs to learn how to leave better messages because some people prolly woulda jumped to conclusions and comited suicide. he agreed. every since then i get tested at least 2x a year. sometimes more because i donate blood. when i think back on it it is funny how quickly you can go from a simple happy life to fear and then back to elation.

I did get tested before after i had a condom disintegrate on me. I waited one year after my last sexual encounter with the same woman before i went to get tested. I sweated blood for the two weeks it took to get back the results. Swore off sex for about another year after that before i succumbed to the call of the two backed beast.

Since then after i got out of relationships i would but i am always sweating until the results come back ok, but that is becasue i have a vivid imagination. Every time i feel hot or my throat is a little sore i get really paranoid.

Nowadays though if i do not need to anyway.

Oh yeah check out this thread for why u should.
http://www.bgol.us/board/showthread.php?t=221367

DaleMabry

Star
Registered
I got tested last summer? I wanna say?

Someone I was dating asked me to do a recent test before she would let me... ;)

Well anyway I thought it was a sensible request and it had been too long, so I did.

The power of the P when used for good! :)

Noir

Support BGOL
Registered
I get tested several times a year, and working in Public Health, I get tested for many other things such as TB, HBV, and HCV. Though there are several effective treatments for HIV that have significantly extended the lifetimes of those afficted, HIV/AIDS is still the MODERN PLAGUE for the minority community. Rates for Blacks far exceed the rates for Whites and the national average in general.

Blacks and other minorities often are diagnosed very late, when another opportunistic infection will give them an AIDS diagnosis. Also, there is less access to healthcare, and social assistance.

lilsexii

Potential Star
OG Investor
I get tested at least once per year, sometimes twice. I helped to coordinate an event where we offered free testing, so I was one of the first to get tested that day too.

Izayoi

Scooty Puff Pilot
BGOL Investor
I have been as well but its time again. My ex tested as well. Definitely will again especially now I'm single.

Dannyblueyes

Aka Illegal Danny
BGOL Investor
I've been tested twice. The first test was about 2 months before I proposed to my wife. Before her I ran through so many nasty hoes it wasn't even funny. One girl even committed suicide a week after we fucked so needless to say I was worried.

When I went to get the results I saw a woman on the bench outside the clinic crying her eyes out. The nurse told me they were busy and I should come back in half an hour. That was the LONGEST half hour I've ever had. my life literally flashed before my eyes.

The second time was a few months after I left my wife. I had been faithful (or at least I didn't do anything I could have caught an STD from) but I wasn't sure about her. When the doctor found I was married he copped an attitude and asked me "so, when did you last stray?" he wasn't gentle with that wire q-tip either. (Note to self, never go to a free clinic near a ho stroll)

The only good thing about those bloody tests is that they both came back negative.

APOPHIS

Autodidact / Polymath
Platinum Member
I have never been tested for any STDs, although I should.
LADIES MANY GUYS DO NOT GET OR HAVE EVER BEEN TESTED BY THE WAY.

I have had only two steady partners in the past 2 years and I'm very strict about what hole I stick my penis in. I've had never had any symptoms (ithiching, redness, etc, etc,.) to give reason to see the doc.

I'm actually considering getting one within the next couple of months just in case. Ya never know. :confused::D

Last edited:

femmenoire

Modded Moderator Modding
BGOL Investor
I get tested 2x a year.

Used to be once a year but since I have to get bloodwork often, I throw it in there.

ladyscorpio

Lively up yourself
Super Moderator

I have had only two steady partners in the past 2 years and I'm very strict about what hole I stick my penis in. I've had never had any symptoms (ithiching, redness, etc, etc,.) to give reason to see the doc.

I'm actually considering getting one within the next couple of months just in case. Ya never know. :confused::D

I think you should go see your doctor just because of this statement right here.
Apophis you may never have symptoms of anything until its too late.

I will use HPV as an example, one may have it and not be aware. You should not only consider but you should do.

Peace

Chicutie

~Brown Suga~
BGOL Investor

I'll be honest. . I didn't get an HIV test until just recently. I had spent a lot of time learning about HIV and educating others about it, but I was too nervous to get tested myself. I thought to myself. . I've been safe. . haven't put myself into too many risk factors. . . . Everything turned out fine but it feels much better to know and not think.

Chicutie

~Brown Suga~
BGOL Investor
Props to all you who have been tested. . . we should motivate all of our friends and loved ones to do the same.

INVICTUS3RD

Potential Star
Registered
3 x's...last time was Fall of last year, when I was diagnosed for Bell's Palsy...They ask now in the hospitals...I think it should be mandatory...Negative 3x's inna row...Thank my God in Heaven...cause sum of the chicks I ran up in...Kinda makes me shudder 'cause I was reckless...BUT...not no mo'!!!

But YES...we ALL should get tested!!!

NOW!!!

LeroyDibiase

Rising Star
Registered
Square biz, get that test. Anybody reading this, even if you only sexing twice a month or even in a lull. If you have decent to good insurance, THERE IS NO EXCUSE.

Chicutie

~Brown Suga~
BGOL Investor
3 x's...last time was Fall of last year, when I was diagnosed for Bell's Palsy...They ask now in the hospitals...I think it should be mandatory...Negative 3x's inna row...Thank my God in Heaven...cause sum of the chicks I ran up in...Kinda makes me shudder 'cause I was reckless...BUT...not no mo'!!!

But YES...we ALL should get tested!!!

NOW!!!

The CDC has actually made it a protocol that all hospitals should test for HIV when a person comes to an emergency department, but I believe they don't test everyone, just people with high risk factors based on questions that they ask you.

Another question for you all: Do you discuss STD/HIV testing with someone new before it "goes down"?

bhunt

Star
Registered
I get tested once a year(job requirements) sometimes 2x a year depending on deployment cycles go. I'm 26 right now and since I have been 18 I think I have been tested somewhere around 10-12 times I don't even keep up with it anymore. My last test was in November. I have done some reckless shit inbetween these test and always tell myself that was the last time, but somehow fall up in that same trap again:angry::angry:. I met a chick once and when I asked her about it it made her unconfortable to talk about it. She had never been tested before and didn't wanna even think about it, the whole outta sight outta mind thing. I eventually got her to take a test together with me. She does it faithfully now and won't mess with a man who won't do it. So I guess I done my part. Now my other behaveor I gotta work on:smh::smh:

LILGROWN1

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Yes I've been tested. Since I'm in the military we at least get tested every year. I'm ALWAYS nervous every time I go too. I probably need to go soon now. :(

cold-n-cocky

BGOL vet down since the “56k stay out!” days
BGOL Gold Member
Got one three months ago. Had to do it, as I got engaged a few months earlier and knew I couldn't go into a marriage w/o knowing, but honestly, I was scared as hell (did a LOT of stupid, nasty shit in the under the age of 25 years). You start doing that mental checklist, everyone you slept with, could they possibly have something, why haven't you heard from them in X number of months/years.....it will fuck you up something crazy not knowing...so I finally manned up and went and got the test done.

The shit was the most nerve wrenching two weeks of my LIFE waiting for the results......came back negative. One of the biggest sighs of relief ever.:)