Rare and very interesting photos

the13thround

Rising Star
Platinum Member
September 1966, a race riot rocks the streets of Atlanta’s Summerhill neighborhood. Here, a young mother clutches her young son, rescued by a white police officer from her tear-gassed home. This moment helped settle down the tensions that gripped the neighborhood.

106373323_184977486310144_2916376145456675139_n.jpg

the13thround

Rising Star
Platinum Member
The National Guard on Springfield Avenue in Newark on July 14, 1967. The fuse that ignited this city — violent clashes with the police, gunfire, flames from burning buildings was a rumor. Word spread that a black cabdriver had been killed inside a police precinct house. It was not true, the driver had been arrested and injured. Still, it was enough to inflame a population filled with years of pent-up grievances: not only abuse at the hands of the police, but entrenched, unaddressed poverty, urban renewal policies that bypassed black residents and a white political power structure that had long ignored their needs. The unrest, which started on the night of July 12, 1967, and ended on July 17, came during a period when racial tensions were exploding into violent conflagrations across the country: the Watts neighborhood in Los Angeles, Harlem, Detroit and nearby New Jersey communities, including Plainfield.

106457624_729010514556219_3338056807900682969_n.jpg

TENT

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
You looked it up and found out it was a fucking lie!!!!!

The Queen did not bow to him.

He bowed to her!!!!

Shit is fake.

The whole thread as a bunch of fake shit.

Ain't gonna lie...I looked this up. Bout to fuck up a whole lot of heads around my way.....

Shaka54

FKA Shaka38
Platinum Member
Oh really now? :hmm: The WHOLE thread, to include just random ass photos of the dipiction of life in the US for Black people huh?

I don't know shit about the photo in question but you're gonna condemn a WHOLE thread as fake news. Got it.

You try too hard.

TENT

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
This whole thread has a bunch of fake shit. Correct.

The whole thread has fake shit in it.

Not just one post is fake. Many posts are fake in here.

That isn't a condemnation of the whole thread.

Reading is fundamental.

Oh really now? :hmm: The WHOLE thread, to include just random ass photos of the dipiction of life in the US for Black people huh?

I don't know shit about the photo in question but you're gonna condemn a WHOLE thread as fake news. Got it.

You try too hard.

Shaka54

FKA Shaka38
Platinum Member
I took you to mean IS not HAS.

I've only seen one other photograph being contested and it was an image attributed to be an American who is actually Jamaican and is on some currency or something like that.

Point them out as you run across them because a lot of us take these at face value.
"Oh, check that out...I never knew that. Cool."

blackpepper

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I took you to mean IS not HAS.

I've only seen one other photograph being contested and it was an image attributed to be an American who is actually Jamaican and is on some currency or something like that.

Point them out as you run across them because a lot of us take these at face value.
"Oh, check that out...I never knew that. Cool."
I peeped that too. The diction of TENT's statement is incorrect. This is one of my all time favorite threads, so if there are errors or misrepresentations concerning the photos kindly set the record straight. Don't shit on "this whole thread".

darth frosty

Dark Lord of the Sith
BGOL Investor
107790188_837744629966651_5289858467585430979_n.jpg

"George McLaurin, the first black man admitted to the University of Oklahoma in 1948, was forced to sit in a corner far from his white classmates.
But his name remains on the honor roll as one of the three best students of the university.These are his words: "Some colleagues would look at me like I was an animal,no one would give me a word, the teachers seemed like they were not even there for me,nor did they always take my questions when I asked. But I devoted myself so much that afterwards, they began to look for me to give them explanations and to clear their questions."
Don't worry about ur current situation, be determined to make a difference with a loud Success"
""When God honors you, witches and wizards will stay clear"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_W._McLaurin

the13thround

Rising Star
Platinum Member
A group of white segregationists attack a group of blacks as they began to swim at the St. Augustine Beach, Florida, on June 25, 1964. Police moved in and broke up the fighting. Gov. Farris Bryant ordered 80 more state troopers into riot-torn St. Augustine, a day after militant whites and blacks clashed as blacks defied Jim Crow laws by staging "wade-ins" on the beach. Wade-ins -- where African Americans and their supporters would deliberately go into the ocean or swimming pools that whites had long decided belonged only to them were apparently among the most offensive and provocative things that could be done to them at the time.

107941962_186209379519390_8017366794191427239_n.jpg

the13thround

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Joe Louis and Lena Horne photographed by Carl Van Vechten at Greenwood Lake on September 15, 1941. Lena Horne was visiting boxer Joe Louis while he trained. The book Stormy Weather: The Life of Lena Horne, details their romance. Both were married to other people, and Louis had even become a father in February 1943. But the world champion of heavyweight boxing kept visiting the Stormy Weather set to see Horne, whom he’d reportedly met at the New York City nightclub Café Society. Joe spoke openly of their on-again, off-again affair to his friend Alice Key; Horne flaunted a mink coat he’d given to her. On November 12, 1942, Billy Rowe had reported the widespread rumor that Louis, then an army sergeant would divorce his wife to marry Horne. Both he and Horne issued vague denials. “I think that Lena is a grand person, on and off the screen, but that doesn’t mean I want to marry her or vice versa,” said the boxer. Added Horne, Sergeant Louis and I have been friends for several years and to me, like fifty million others, he’s a symbol of greatness. I can certainly admire him and be in his company without hopping off to the alter.”

Entanglement.........

106427220_734827210685113_3011670677932636261_n.jpg

the13thround

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Don Barksdale didn’t play a single minute of basketball at Berkeley High School in Berkeley, California due to rules limiting the number of black players on varsity teams. Despite the racial barriers that limited his opportunities as a player, he went on to lead the UCLA Bruins to the Pacific Coast Conference championship and become the first African American player named to the Helms Foundation All-America team in 1947. Although he led the Pacific Coast League in scoring, Barksdale was blacklisted from professional basketball due to his race. Barksdale became a dominant force while playing in the Amateur Athletic Union (AAU) club circuit and was selected as a member of the 1948 United States Olympic basketball team. He was the first African American player to represent the United States on an Olympic team and went on to become the first to win a gold medal. In 2012, Barksdale was posthumously inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame.
107820248_1241380646196949_5166695603525213816_n.jpg

Last edited:

the13thround

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Before basketball leagues began to integrate, dozens of all-black teams formed and excelled. The teams that were formed during this era became known as “Black Fives,” in reference to the five starting players on teams. African American teams were frequently sponsored by churches, athletic clubs, social clubs, YMCAs, businesses and newspapers, but struggled to find places to play as most gymnasiums did not permit black people. In the early 1900s, the emergence of the phonograph and the popularization of Black music—ragtime, jazz, and blues—led to the increasing construction of dance halls and ballrooms, which could also double as basketball venues on off nights.

107431033_711238866393978_1935553330947769325_n.jpg

Shaka54

FKA Shaka38
Platinum Member
BLM protester statue replaces British slaver on plinth in Bristol

hmw14c0l6ya51.jpg

A statue of a slave trader removed by anti-racism protesters in the southwestern UK city of Bristol last month has been replaced - in secret - with a sculpture of a Black woman who helped pull it down.

The new statue, showing Black Lives Matter (BLM) protester Jen Reid with her fist raised, occupies the plinth where the likeness of Edward Colston stood before crowds threw it into Bristol harbour.

Entitled A Surge of Power, the sculpture by artist Marc Quinn was put in place early on Wednesday without the knowledge of Bristol City Council.

Reid was at the early morning unveiling and told the Guardian newspaper that it was "just incredible".

"This is going to continue the conversation. I can't see it coming down in a hurry," she said.

The local authority had said any decision to replace the Colston statue would be taken democratically.

the13thround

Rising Star
Platinum Member
BLM protester statue replaces British slaver on plinth in Bristol

hmw14c0l6ya51.jpg

A statue of a slave trader removed by anti-racism protesters in the southwestern UK city of Bristol last month has been replaced - in secret - with a sculpture of a Black woman who helped pull it down.

The new statue, showing Black Lives Matter (BLM) protester Jen Reid with her fist raised, occupies the plinth where the likeness of Edward Colston stood before crowds threw it into Bristol harbour.

Entitled A Surge of Power, the sculpture by artist Marc Quinn was put in place early on Wednesday without the knowledge of Bristol City Council.

Reid was at the early morning unveiling and told the Guardian newspaper that it was "just incredible".

"This is going to continue the conversation. I can't see it coming down in a hurry," she said.

The local authority had said any decision to replace the Colston statue would be taken democratically.
They tore it down 24 hours later. :mad: