R.I.P. to an Icon. Pelé has died.

slam

aka * My Name Is Not $lam *
Super Moderator
Number 42. Though not all number 42s were as good as Jackie Robinson. Only other 42 that came close to making the number theirs was Mariano Rivera.

Like Robinson 42 being retired in Baseball, Pelé's number 10 should be retired by FIFA.

Not even close E n i think u missed my point ...

even lets say a high school team ...u wearing the number 10 ur ass better b good ...

also the world knows number 10 .... the world doesnt know 42 in baseball or any other famous number

just think of an iconic player n go down the list ...? thats how big a deal 10 is ...

real soccer fans know what i`m talking about ...we need to start a movement .. #retire10 ...:yes::yes:

:rolleyes:

EPDC

El Pirate Del Caribe
BGOL Investor
Not even close E n i think u missed my point ...

even lets say a high school team ...u wearing the number 10 ur ass better b good ...

also the world knows number 10 .... the world doesnt know 42 in baseball or any other famous number

just think of an iconic player n go down the list ...? thats how big a deal 10 is ...

real soccer fans know what i`m talking about ...we need to start a movement .. #retire10 ...:yes::yes:

:rolleyes:

I feel you. Baseball really is only big in America and Japan.

Soccer is worldwide so number 10 is more known.

ansatsusha_gouki

Land of the Heartless
Platinum Member
I have never been a fan of soccer.
I couldn't even begin to name any modern soccer player of note today.
- But I did know one name when I was growing up.
- I did know the one player who stood out above all others.
- As kids growing up in Harlem, (where we didn't even play soccer) we did know the one Black man who summed up soccer in it's entirety.
That man's name was:
PELE.

Thank you sir, for essentially introducing a whole community to soccer. And for being a shining example of Black excellence and positve masculinity.
RIP.
:sad:

100% co-sign

I rarely watch soccer but Pelé is the only name I know from that sport.

Rest In Peace Pelé

BigATLslim

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
FlK1ufWXwAAtT2j

dope pic ...but some needs to be excluded and some added ...

also the man made the number 10 jersey iconic ...

thats the only number in a sport IMO u wear it ur ass better b good ...

please tell me another number in any sport that signify`s that ...n please dont say jordan`s 23 ...smh

10 in soccer is the goat ...they need to retire that shit all over the world ...real soccer fans feel me on this ... :yes:
Roberto Clemente in baseball…?

ViCiouS

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
Roberto Clemente in baseball…?
:smh:
only athlete more legendary /symbolic is Ali
til this day only footballer that can be kinda talked about in reference to Pele dominance in his game was Maradonna

Last edited:

woodchuck

A crowd pleasing man.
OG Investor
https://abcnews.go.com/Internationa...-face-backlash-skipping-pels-funeral-96200265

Brazilian players face backlash for skipping Pelé's funeral
Brazilian soccer stars past and present are under fire from fans for skipping Pelé’s funeral and opting to pay their respects on social media
ByMAURICIO SAVARESE AP Sports Writer

SAO PAULO -- Brazilian soccer stars past and present are under fire from fans for skipping Pelé's funeral and opting to pay their respects on social media.

The three-time World Cup champion was buried in his hometown Tuesday after more than 230,000 mourners passed by his casket at Vila Belmiro stadium in Santos. Pelé died last Thursday after a battle with cancer.

Fans expected former Santos players like Neymar, Rodrygo and Giovanni to attend. They also hoped retired greats like Zico, Romario, Ronaldo, Kaká and Ronaldinho Gaucho would show up at the beach city 80 kilometers (50 miles) south of São Paulo.

Their social media accounts were flooded with comments by angry fans after Pelé’s burial.

None of the players from Brazil’s 2002 World Cup winning squad attended. One of them — former star midfielder Kaká — was criticized because he had complained during an interview in December that Brazilians do not honor their sports heroes as much as foreigners.

“You didn’t even show up for the funeral of the man who paved the way for you to have the life that you have,” said Joao Vitor Custodio on Kaká’s Instagram post about Pelé that drew more than 5,000 comments, including many about his decision not to come for the tributes.

In Neymar’s Instagram post mourning Pelé’s death, one fan wrote: “It is easy to say, but you sent your father and did not come.” The Brazil striker later limited comments in that post to people he knows.

No foreign footballers came to Brazil for Pelé’s tributes, funeral and burial.

Former midfielder Mauro Silva was the lone representative of the 1994 team that won the World Cup in the United States. He is currently an executive at the São Paulo state soccer federation.

Some of Pelé's surviving Brazil teammates from the 1958, 1962 and 1970 World Cup titles were unfit to attend, like 91-year-old Mário Zagallo, and others like Roberto Rivellino were reportedly too upset.

Walter Panov

Rising Star
Registered
FlK1ufWXwAAtT2j

dope pic ...but some needs to be excluded and some added ...

also the man made the number 10 jersey iconic ...

thats the only number in a sport IMO u wear it ur ass better b good ...

please tell me another number in any sport that signify`s that ...n please dont say jordan`s 23 ...smh

10 in soccer is the goat ...they need to retire that shit all over the world ...real soccer fans feel me on this ... :yes:
You ain't never lied. The best player on the team gets to claim number 10.