R.I.P. legendary New Orleans chef Leah Chase chef/owner of the famous Dooky Chase restaurant

Mello Mello

Ballz of Adamantium
BGOL Investor
Remember seeing her on a food show years ago. Never been before but I want to go now.

RIP Queen.

phanatic

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
A great chef, a better person, and a stellar activist back in her day.

RIP to NOLA's Queen.

I definitely shed some tears when I heard about her passing. She is legend. Civil rights, community activist, serving top shelf cuisines not meant for black people(during segregation, certain foods were only served in whites only places, Leah said "fuck yall, we gonna eat whatever")

phanatic

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
02.jpg

24HCHASEOBIT-master768.jpg

(i hear they always fun the City)
Beyonc%C3%A9-JAY-Z-Dooky-Chase-759x500.jpg

5751bbf5a1593.image.jpg

obamaeating.jpg

leah-chase-barack-obama_oamt0m.jpg

p.php

dooky%20chase_1_0.jpg

I heard she yelled at Obama for putting hot sauce on her food before he tasted it. Gotta love grandmas that will call you the fuck out, they don't care who you are or where you're from, you're eating in her house.

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member
I heard she yelled at Obama for putting hot sauce on her food before he tasted it. Gotta love grandmas that will call you the fuck out, they don't care who you are or where you're from, you're eating in her house.
:lol: i luv the idea of that

uptown93

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Man she was a good friend, mentor, and like another Grandmother to me. I went to the vigil they had for her and it was crazy out there. R.I.P. to one of the greatest to ever do it.

DaddyDiesel

Rising Star
OG Investor
Rest in Paradise. Thanks for your exquisite contributions to the culinary world. Will definitely try to make it there next time in the N.O.L.A.

DMXtreem

Rising Star
Platinum Member
RIP. Those that serve their people are the greatest of all among us!!! You are a Darling!!!

Majestic Lion

fidélité à la mort
Registered
Came across this article this morning.

Leah Chase Expanded Horizons for Black Women in Food

https://www.tastecooking.com/leah-chase-expanded-horizons-black-women-food/

Since her passing on June 1 at the age of 96, I’ve reflected on the impact she’s had on my career. I did not realize back in 2008 that a service trip would lead me to meeting the woman who blazed the path, and whose steps I now follow in. She attained the trifecta of chef, restaurateur, and author, but Leah Chase built her life around a much simpler trinity: work, prayer, and doing for others. Simply by doing what she loved, she encouraged other black women, showing us all how to stir up magic with even the humblest ingredients.