Question for anyone currently in South or Central America

notreally

Rising Star
Registered
Some "influencers" suggest that the situation for expats in nations such as Colombia and Panama may have suddenly become tenuous, due to the recent U.S. attack.

It makes sense, because essentially, any expat might very well be seen as the citizen of an occupying force, which would be true. I could imagine being a young local, watching a fat, filthy, 70 year old gringo pay 18 year old girls for nookie 3 days a week, while he struggles to feed his family of four. I could also imagine resenting them, and wishing them harm (I am not saying it would be right, I am just saying).

It also makes sense that certain parties connected with the former government likely have considerable weaponry, and an acute desire to relocate. Is this a greater opportunity for kidnapping?

I am unfortunately in the States at the moment, and my Latin American contacts are currently out of country. I am wondering how much of what I am hearing is hyperbole. Has the situation on the ground become perceptibly more dangerous?

Is it all bullshit to get eyeballs on YT videos?

An eager traveler would like to know.

The problem with Youtube, Insta and others social media platforms is that the same sensationalism that has ruled Twitter after it became naziland is present there as well. That is why I pose the question.
 
In 1989, the United States did a similar thing in Panama with Manuel Noriega. You can see how that turned out, so I wouldn’t worry about it.





Manuel-Noriega-marshals-booking-photo-Miami-January-4-1990.jpg
 
What did Snoop say to the young fellas standing on the corner in The Wire?

Tobago is holding at election in a week. If they don’t care, why should you?
 
If you’re an expat and you’re established, the actions of your government shouldn’t have any bearing on you in a foreign land.

The same rules as traveling applies. Respect the people and the country you’re in and you’ll be fine irrespective of what 1600 does. No flashy shit, no bragging, none of that loud American shit, show respect and remain humble and you’re good.

If you’re solid on those fronts, you’ll be surprised at how many locals will want your opinion and take as a citizen / former citizen of the US.
 
If you’re an expat and you’re established, the actions of your government shouldn’t have any bearing on you in a foreign land.

The same rules as traveling applies. Respect the people and the country you’re in and you’ll be fine irrespective of what 1600 does. No flashy shit, no bragging, none of that loud American shit, show respect and remain humble and you’re good.

If you’re solid on those fronts, you’ll be surprised at how many locals will want your opinion and take as a citizen / former citizen of the US.
What should be and what is tend to be two very different things.
 
I could imagine being a young local, watching a fat, filthy, 70 year old pay 18 year old girls for nookie 3 days a week,
Well, you don't have to get personal! (3 years in Belize) Nobody is gonna do shit. Rank and file citizens in most developing countries are scared shitless of the wrath of the U.S.. When you have a well-defined history of dropping atomic bombs and napalm on babies, women and children, you rep precedes you. The USA is a voracious and insatiable, colonizing, exploitative, thieving beast that operates often far outside the will of its people. I think most around the world realize that.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top