Art Vandelay

Importer/exporter
Registered
Is Pocahontas.com redirecting to a campaign website really appropriate? Or is it appropriation?

Trump is certainly appropriating her name for his purposes, as has always been done with her name. Mocking Elizabeth Warren's claim to be 1/32 Cherokee by calling her Pocahontas is a condescending dismissal of Native American individuality akin to calling every black man "George." And elevating Pocahontas as a representation of all Native Americans is particularly sad because her name has been used to serve white interests for hundreds of years after her death, which came in service of white interests at the expense of her people.

Art Vandelay

Importer/exporter
Registered
From the Powhatan Nation:

In 1995, Roy Disney decided to release an animated movie about a Powhatan woman known as "Pocahontas". In answer to a complaint by the Powhatan Nation, he claims the film is "responsible, accurate, and respectful."

We of the Powhatan Nation disagree. The film distorts history beyond recognition. Our offers to assist Disney with cultural and historical accuracy were rejected. Our efforts urging him to reconsider his misguided mission were spurred.

"Pocahontas" was a nickname, meaning "the naughty one" or "spoiled child". Her real name was Matoaka. The legend is that she saved a heroic John Smith from being clubbed to death by her father in 1607 - she would have been about 10 or 11 at the time. The truth is that Smith's fellow colonists described him as an abrasive, ambitious, self-promoting mercenary soldier.

Of all of Powhatan's children, only "Pocahontas" is known, primarily because she became the hero of Euro-Americans as the "good Indian", one who saved the life of a white man. Not only is the "good Indian/bad Indian theme" inevitably given new life by Disney, but the history, as recorded by the English themselves, is badly falsified in the name of "entertainment".

The truth of the matter is that the first time John Smith told the story about this rescue was 17 years after it happened, and it was but one of three reported by the pretentious Smith that he was saved from death by a prominent woman.

Yet in an account Smith wrote after his winter stay with Powhatan's people, he never mentioned such an incident. In fact, the starving adventurer reported he had been kept comfortable and treated in a friendly fashion as an honored guest of Powhatan and Powhatan's brothers. Most scholars think the "Pocahontas incident" would have been highly unlikely, especially since it was part of a longer account used as justification to wage war on Powhatan's Nation.

Euro-Americans must ask themselves why it has been so important to elevate Smith's fibbing to status as a national myth worthy of being recycled again by Disney. Disney even improves upon it by changing Pocahontas from a little girl into a young woman.

The true Pocahontas story has a sad ending. In 1612, at the age of 17, Pocahontas was treacherously taken prisoner by the English while she was on a social visit, and was held hostage at Jamestown for over a year.

During her captivity, a 28-year-old widower named John Rolfe took a "special interest" in the attractive young prisoner. As a condition of her release, she agreed to marry Rolfe, who the world can thank for commercializing tobacco. Thus, in April 1614, Matoaka, also known as "Pocahontas", daughter of Chief Powhatan, became "Rebecca Rolfe". Shortly after, they had a son, whom they named Thomas Rolfe. The descendants of Pocahontas and John Rolfe were known as the "Red Rolfes."

Two years later on the spring of 1616, Rolfe took her to England where the Virginia Company of London used her in their propaganda campaign to support the colony. She was wined and dined and taken to theaters. It was recorded that on one occasion when she encountered John Smith (who was also in London at the time), she was so furious with him that she turned her back to him, hid her face, and went off by herself for several hours. Later, in a second encounter, she called him a liar and showed him the door.

Rolfe, his young wife, and their son set off for Virginia in March of 1617, but "Rebecca" had to be taken off the ship at Gravesend. She died there on March 21, 1617, at the age of 21. She was buried at Gravesend, but the grave was destroyed in a reconstruction of the church. It was only after her death and her fame in London society that Smith found it convenient to invent the yarn that she had rescued him.

History tells the rest. Chief Powhatan died the following spring of 1618. The people of Smith and Rolfe turned upon the people who had shared their resources with them and had shown them friendship. During Pocahontas' generation, Powhatan's people were decimated and dispersed and their lands were taken over. A clear pattern had been set which would soon spread across the American continent.

Art Vandelay

Importer/exporter
Registered

Is Elizabeth Warren Native American? Amid Donald Trump’s ‘Pocahontas’ Insults, Senator’s Background Has Been Topic For Years

BY TIM MARCIN, International Business Times
05/27/16

During the 2016 election cycle, presumptive Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump has regularly questioned the background of Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren, who has said she has Native American heritage. But he's certainly not the first political opponent to question the progressive lawmaker's background.

At a North Dakota press conference Thursday, Trump lobbed his latest insult at Warren, sarcastically calling her "Pocahontas." In March, he called Warren "the Indian" after the senator went on a Twitter rant about the bombastic billionaire.

Trump has rekindled a line of attack against Warren that began in 2012 when she was running against then-Republican Sen. Scott Brown. He openly questioned Warren's claims to Native American ancestry, saying she used it for a career boost.

Warren's claims to a Native American background first came up years before, when she was teaching at Harvard Law School. "In late April, the Boston Herald reported that in the 1990s, Harvard Law School — where Warren began teaching in 1992 and was granted tenure in 1995 — touted the Democrat’s Native American background as part of an effort to boost its diversity hiring record. Warren’s campaign said she didn’t bring up her heritage before Harvard hired her and that her background came out through later conversations," the Washington Post wrote in 2012.

Warren was listed as a minority professor at Harvard and at some point informed the University of Pennsylvania she was Native American while working there, as well. But in an application to Rutgers Law School in New Jersey she reportedly did not apply as a minority student, and she listed herself as "white" while teaching at the University of Texas.

Brown in 2012 pressed for documentation proving Warren's background during the 2012 race, but Warren never provided any. The senator is reportedly 1/32 Cherokee, but that would not qualify her to be a member of the tribe, according to Yahoo News. Warren has in the past talked about family stories to defend her Native American heritage and at one point referenced "high cheekbones" in a somewhat convoluted answer.

"I have lived in a family that has talked about Native America, talked about tribes, since I’ve been a little girl," she said in 2012, according to the Washington Post. "I still have a picture on my mantle at home, and it’s a picture of my mother’s dad, a picture of my grandfather. And my Aunt Bee has walked by that picture at least a thousand times, remarked that her father, my Pappa, had high cheekbones, like all of the Indians do, because that’s how she saw it. And your mother got those same great cheekbones, and I didn’t."

Trump brought up that high-cheekbone reference Thursday in North Dakota. "'Well, I have high cheekbones. You see I have high cheekbones, so I'm a Native American,'" he said, seeming to mock Warren. "I don't know if you would call it a fraud or not, but she was able to get into various schools because she applied as a Native American. I think she's as Native American as I am, OK? That I will tell you."

While Warren's background has long been a point of contention, the Atlantic talked with a genealogist who pointed out in 2012 that people with Cherokee heritage can look like Warren. The piece read, in part: "None of this is to say that a Cherokee citizen couldn't look like Warren. Though it confounds many people's expectations, the Cherokee Nation considers being Cherokee as much an ethnicity as anything racial, and given the tribe's centurieslong history of intermarriage there are many Cherokee citizens today who do not look stereotypically Native American. As well, 'there are a lot of folks who are legitimately Cherokee who are not eligible for citizenship,' said Krehbiel-Burton, because, for example, their ancestors lived in distant states or territories when the rolls were drawn up or because they are direct descendants of people left off the rolls for other reasons."

Art Vandelay

Importer/exporter
Registered
Pocahontas.com redirects to Warren campaign site
By Jessie Hellmann, The Hill
June 11, 2016

A supporter of Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) is turning the tables on Donald Trump's favorite insult for the senator.

The website Pocahontas.com now redirects it to Warren's campaign website — the handiworkwork of one of her supporters, according to the Washington Post.

Trump often refers to Warren as "Pocahontas," an allusion to controversy about her heritage that she faced during her 2012 Senate campaign. Warren claims she grew up being told she had Cherokee heritage but that hasn't been proven.

"Pocahontas is at is again! Goofy Elizabeth Warren, one of the least productive U.S. Senators, has a nasty mouth," Trump tweeted Friday morning.

Warren and Trump have been targeting each other with insults in recent weeks. Warren brought their feud to a new level Thursday, calling Trump a "thin-skinned, racist bully" during a speech at the American Constitution Society convention in Washington.

"Donald Trump is a loud, nasty, thin-skinned fraud who has never risked anything for anyone and who serves no one but himself," she said.

Trump has repeatedly attacked Warren as "Pocahontas" as well as "Goofy Elizabeth Warren."

Democrats have made an increased effort in recent days to use the internet and social media to tweak Trump.

Presumptive Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton tweeted at Trump "delete your account" after he insulted her Thursday. And Warren followed suit a day later, responding to a Trump diss with "No, seriously — Delete your account."