Passenger lands plane in Fla. after pilot dies

theDisavowed

Star
Registered
Not sure if this is a repost, so........................

Passenger lands plane in Fla. after pilot dies

1 hr 39 mins ago
FORT MYERS, Fla. – A passenger landed a twin-engine plane in Florida after the pilot died in flight with a total of six people on board.
Federal Aviation Administration officials say the pilot died after takeoff from an airport in Naples on Sunday. It was on autopilot and climbing toward 10,000 feet when the pilot died.
The passenger who took over is licensed for single-engine planes but isn't certified to fly the larger King Air craft.
An air traffic controller helped the passenger down by calling a friend in Connecticut who knows the King Air plane and relaying instructions. The plane landed safely at Southwest Florida International Airport in Fort Myers.
The plane had been headed to Jackson, Miss. The names of the pilot and passengers have not been released.

Link

Blunt

Rising Star
Registered
12269__airplane_l.jpg

Cross

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
:eek: I read that story this morning. I cant imagine being on that plane and find out the pilot died and a civilian was going to land the plane.

THREAD_CRITIC

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The fact that the passenger was already a pilot kinda takes away from the wow factor. but still a good to hear they made it

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
"PHONE A FRIEND" ... "PHONE A FRIEND!"

Dude successfully used one of his 3 lifelines properly.

BGOL, Regis Philbin, and myself commend him and the friend who guided him over the phone.

:yes:

Genocide

Support BGOL
Registered
Now see this shit impresses me. I just don't see what the big deal was with the NY pilot who was trained and seasoned landing a plane in the Hudson. Something which he was trained to do in case of emergency.

This shit is far more impressive. Dude only knew how to fly single engine small planes. He is a TRUE hero.

THREAD_CRITIC

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Now see this shit impresses me. I just don't see what the big deal was with the NY pilot who was trained and seasoned landing a plane in the Hudson. Something which he was trained to do in case of emergency.

This shit is far more impressive. Dude only knew how to fly single engine small planes. He is a TRUE hero.

:hmm: