Elite Poster
BGOL Investor
:lol::lol::lol::lol: @ the comments on the video

"2009-04-24 17:55:44
When you go to a meeting you suppose to wear a Chopper Suit..."

thereason

Star
Registered
im pretty sure that once the white boy got outside and saw Kevin coming thats when he started talking shit back to Dame :lol::lol::lol:

white boy was like :smh:
dame :angry:
white boy :confused:
walks outside office :(
dame :angry::angry:
white by sees kevin :eek:, :angry:
kevin bypass white boy :hmm:
dame sees kevin :eek: :(
kevin to dame :hmm::rolleyes:
dame :angry: :(

but thats cool sense damn waited to make sure he was out of beating his ass range to talk shit :lol:

Amajorfucup

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Of course we all know it didnt end well for the guy but lets be honest, he carried shit in that meeting and literally told everybody there "Fuck You", including Kevin Lyles.

Its easy to shit on him now but the guy handled his business back in the day.

btw- LOL @ "they have no franchise. theres no DMX and Ja got ruined."

Of course we all know it didnt end well for the guy but lets be honest, he carried shit in that meeting and literally told everybody there "Fuck You", including Kevin Lyles.

And that's acceptable to you?

That's not "handling business", that's poor business skills.

TEN

Tensei - Admin
Staff member
With each vid i can clearly see how dame was a serious liability to Jay's career.
I can understand, much clearer, Jay's subsequential business moves and changes.

thereason

Star
Registered
With each vid i can clearly see how dame was a serious liability to Jay's career.
I can understand, much clearer, Jay's subsequential business moves and changes.

tru

unless theres footage of jay wildin out
from what they say, people got tired of dame's antics and went to deal wit jay directly

Devilstrider

Rising Star
OG Investor
Look at the comments.

THE TRUTH OF THE MATTER IS WHILE DAME WAS FIGHTING HARD FOR THE ROC AND HIS ARTIST AND WHAT HE BUILT FROM THE GROUND TO THE TOP WITH NO HAND OUTS JAY WAS SMILING AND SHAKING HANDS WITH THE OPPOSITION UNLOYAL AND YOU JAY FANS JUST WONT ACCEPT THAT I GUESS JAY IS HOVA / GOD TO HIS FANS IN YALL EYES JAY CANT DO NO WRONG LOL SO OF COURSE DAME WAS SUPPOSE TO SHOW SOME EMOTION BECAUSE PEOPLE WAS TRYING TO TAKE SOMETHING THAT YOU MADE AND LOVE AWAY FROM BEHIND YO BACK THATS JUST LIKE TAKING A CHILD FROM THEIR MOTHER YOU DUMMIES 773 BACK IN THIS BITCH!!

DAME SOUNDS LOUD AND LIKE A ASSHOLE BUT IT'S FOR HIS ARTIST HE FIGHTS HARD FOR HIS ARTIST.....DEF JAM WAS SCARED OF DAME....JAY-Z WANTED TO BE THE BOSS...SO DAME HAD TO GO...DEF JAM WAS HAPPY CUZ THEY WAS SCARED OF DAME CUZ DAME KNEW BUSINESS PLUS WAS A STREET NIGGA

NOBODY HAD THE CHOPPER SUIT ON....THAT'S WHY THE MEETING DIDN'T GO WELL

SmuTTy_RaNKS

Star
Registered
This is proof that Dame been trying to protect his brand and label only to be screwed by the person who he was trying to protect. Def Jam been trying to fuck dude off. Jay just sold out and did it. Good play business, bad play karma and life after music.

Dame is a prick, but I'd think people would root for what he stands for as a black business man.

Cock Head Jones

Rising Star
Registered

Its easy to shit on him now but the guy handled his business back in the day.

btw- LOL @ "they have no franchise. theres no DMX and Ja got ruined."

I dont doubt that Dame had his artists best interest in mind but when you do tend to handle shit like that, its hard to make the moves you need to make. Dude burned crazy bridges. He embarrassed people daily. Now, when he could use a few friends to push Jim Jones and get back into what's left of the game he's blackballed and left broke.

There is value in handling shit professionally and maintaining a good reputation.

D'Evils

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
A wise man told me don't argue with fools
Cause people from a distance can't tell who is who

logikal2

Superstar *
Registered
say what u will about him, in the end he took an L from the artist he was lookin out for.. But if half these so called a&r ceo or whatever they go by stood up for there artist shit would be somewhat better... Yeah dame was an asshole but u see even with the camera on they didnt buck up on him.. That last guy towrds the end i remember dame jappin out on him in the movie about the jackets...

thereason

Star
Registered
I dont doubt that Dame had his artists best interest in mind but when you do tend to handle shit like that, its hard to make the moves you need to make. Dude burned crazy bridges. He embarrassed people daily. Now, when he could use a few friends to push Jim Jones and get back into what's left of the game he's blackballed and left broke.

There is value in handling shit professionally and maintaining a good reputation.

c/s theres no doubt he felt he was doing it all for his squad but the way he went about doing his what was killing them.

exiledking

Rising Star
OG Investor
Dames a dumbass. Exhibit A,B, and C ar these vids. Why yell at them instead of Jay?

Cuz he knew he already lost his grip with Jay, and he didn't want them to know, but they already knew. He looks like a desperate man in these vids.

Heist

Rising Star
Registered
Lyles looked soft, but he never took any shit from anyone when he was running Def.

TENT

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
How did Liles look soft? They pulled Jay from under Dames nose.
Why fight when you already won? You see Liles ignored Dame? Like Dame wasnt even their??

He said "Handle your business nigga"

Thats what you say to a nigga who's girl is getting fucked by the next man!

Dame's hoe "Jay" was leaving him for Lyor.

Lyles looked soft, but he never took any shit from anyone when he was running Def.

Spectrum

Elite Poster
BGOL Investor
Dames a dumbass. Exhibit A,B, and C ar these vids. Why yell at them instead of Jay?

Cuz he knew he already lost his grip with Jay, and he didn't want them to know, but they already knew. He looks like a desperate man in these vids.

:yes:

thereason

Star
Registered
Why fight when you already won? You see Liles ignored Dame? Like Dame wasnt even their??

as a Jay fan i take offense to u refer to Hov as a hoe but then again :lol::lol::lol::lol: this is truth.com

Heist

Rising Star
Registered

In general brother, in general.

A lot of people underestimated Kevin Liles when he took the reigns at Def Jam because he wasn't the emotional in your face, yell and scream at you type like his predecessor Lyor was.

Two completely different management styles.

He would just speak very calmly and plainly.

I remember I was in a meeting here in D.C. with him (I was in the room - not a direct part of the meeting) and one of Region Managers for a cluster of FM Radio stations in DC/MD/VA was giving him a hard time about playing his Island R&B artist on their A/C stations and Hip-Hop acts on the Urban Top-40 (At the time the South and West was getting heavy rotation and barely no East or Def Jam artists outside of Luda).

He just calmly said, "Listen, we were doing this for years before without you (Major rotation on FM Radio) and we can do it again. Frankly, we don't need you, but we would rather be on the same side and working together."

Amajorfucup

Rising Star
Platinum Member
And that's acceptable to you?

That's not "handling business", that's poor business skills.
Disagree. Theres no set rulebook to follow on how to handle various situations, especially under these circumstances. Here the guy was being undercut by colleagues and he checked that shit immediately. I indeed consider that handling business. Letting everyone to a man know how you feel and what will not be tolerated is not only acceptable its commendable. Of course all of this goes out of the window when the very guy you are protecting stabs you in the back...

But either way, my point remains. He put them on notice and they pretty much took it and didnt have much to say back.

Amajorfucup

Rising Star
Platinum Member

I agree with the bolded portion but what i think you're losing sight of is that these guys arent in the girl scouts. This is the record business and its full of cut throat snakes who have zero loyalty, and are morally bankrupt to the point where they will sale their mothers if its a profit to be made. Dame was a product of that environment and those very same tactics he is criticized for are the tactics that got deals done and moves made when nobody wanted to give Jay-Z a shot and when he was considered a joke of an artist by anyone in decision making positions. Simply because Jay pulled the rug from under him and left him high dry doesnt negate the fact that he was largely successful and effective as an executive.

Complex

Internet Superstar
BGOL Investor
He had a reason to be upset, and I can see how he burned bridges.

Kevin Liles handled it well

Complex

Internet Superstar
BGOL Investor
I agree with the bolded portion but what i think you're losing sight of is that these guys arent in the girl scouts. This is the record business and its full of cut throat snakes who have zero loyalty, and are morally bankrupt to the point where they will sale their mothers if its a profit to be made. Dame was a product of that environment and those very same tactics he is criticized for are the tactics that got deals done and moves made when nobody wanted to give Jay-Z a shot and when he was considered a joke of an artist by anyone in decision making positions. Simply because Jay pulled the rug from under him and left him high dry doesnt negate the fact that he was largely successful and effective as an executive.

Don't you think Jay-Z made Dame also? Look at the artist like Original Flavor Dame had. Jay-Z's talent gave him the ability to act the way he did. If the rapper he represented was Mc Herby Lump Lump, people would have been like get the fuck out of my office asshole. He could act the way he did, and get the demands he wanted, because Jay was selling millions. Because at the end of the day it's about money, and he was consistently one of Def Jam's biggest artist for 10 albums. Look what happen to Dame after Jay-Z? Did you see artist running to him? Not just new ones, the ones other than Bleek who were with Rocafella. If they thought he could help their career, if he was beneficial. The same way people knew Don King and Bob Arum were crooks, but they could get them fights and attention no one else could. People aren't doing that with Dame. Because at this point, with all the talent in the world, a lot of execs aren't going to fuck with them.

Jay-Z was considered a joke of an artist? Vanilla Ice was considered a joke. Young Black Teenagers were considered a joke. Wrong word usage.

Disagree. Theres no set rulebook to follow on how to handle various situations, especially under these circumstances. Here the guy was being undercut by colleagues and he checked that shit immediately. I indeed consider that handling business. Letting everyone to a man know how you feel and what will not be tolerated is not only acceptable its commendable. Of course all of this goes out of the window when the very guy you are protecting stabs you in the back...

But either way, my point remains. He put them on notice and they pretty much took it and didnt have much to say back.

A huge part of business is respect. Dame showed none. Even when people wrong you in business, if you flip out and degrade them in a Dame-like fashion it won't be long 'til you're in a Dame-like situation. Out on your ass.

Even if you go back to Backstage, when Def Jam was handing out Def Jam jackets. They were dead wrong for that. Still, Dame talking to Kevin Liles like he's his subordinate was poor business skills. But that's how Dame 'handled his business' and that resulted in a lot of people who couldn't wait to stop doing business with him. They only put up with him because of Jay. And once he lost Jay (either the way he did or if Jay actually followed through with his many 'retirement' threats) they were gonna cut him off.

Fact is, if Dame truly had business skills, he'd probably be running the rap industry. Instead, he was too busy trying to look like a boss, belittling everyone in his path.