Opinion: The Black Los Angeles I grew up with is slipping away

VAiz4hustlaz

Proud ADOS and not afraid to step to da mic!
BGOL Investor

Opinion: The Black Los Angeles I grew up with is slipping away​

A smile crossed my face when a local NBC outlet recently touted 90-year-old U.S. Postal Service employee Leroy Brown. He has worked for the federal government for 70 years, most of that time for the post office, and has no plans to retire. My father worked at the post office’s World Way location in Westchester. He is 84, and while he did not make it to 70 years of service, I feel his 45 years was rather impressive.

Like Mr. Brown, my father joined the Postal Service after a stint in the Army, where he collected several boxing championship trophies that sat in his craft room at our home in Morningside Park. Our neighborhood was featured in the L.A. Times during the 1992 “riots” as a place that did not burn, owing to the responsible residents. I always felt conflicted about that idea. The people in my neighborhood were proud, but framing us as an exemplar was not fair. We had jobs and owned our homes.

When I was growing up, it was a relatively calm, predominantly African American Los Angeles neighborhood. But the childhood I had in L.A. is no longer possible for most African Americans. We now live in exurbs across the county, dealing with some of the worst effects of the climate crisis and urban sprawl, including forced migration, social isolation and physical health ailments.

SoFi Stadium now overlooks my childhood home. My parents picked our yellow house on the corner with its expansive frontyard and honeysuckle-filled backyard because it was less than a 15-minute drive from my father’s job. I lived in that house until I went away to college.

My mother was a stay-at-home mom. She woke me up, burned my breakfast and took me to the local Catholic school, St. Eugene’s. After school ended, I walked the few short blocks home with my friends. We all did our homework that our mothers would check, and then played until the streetlights came on.

All of this happened in a neighborhood filled with homeowners who worked as clerks and carriers for the post office, public school teachers, social workers for L.A. County, and nurses who worked at Centinela and King hospitals. A neighborhood where most of my friends attended college but often were unable to obtain professional employment in the area after they graduated.

But Los Angeles has been an incredible disappointment. When my mother’s family came to L.A. at the turn of the 20th century, it was filled with opportunities. Architect Paul R. Williams was not just the first Black person on the Los Angeles Planning Board, he was on the very first Planning Board in 1920. In 1913, W.E.B. Du Bois said of the city, “Nowhere in the United States is the Negro so well and beautifully housed.”

But now, the Black poor in L.A. either must take their Section 8 vouchers and live in the desert, where affordable housing can be found, or fall further into poverty, or leave.

Some say that there is no tragedy in the slipping away of Black Los Angeles. It isn’t just happening here. In many major U.S. cities, the Black working poor are being moved to the hinterlands. And the Black working and middle class have been given the message to just move back to the South, where we were once enslaved.

The choice of living in the exurbs of Los Angeles or the South for L.A.’s Black population harms the cultural richness of the city. Its leaders must work to preserve the working class. This requires more careful urban planning and policies that improve people’s material well-being. Los Angeles needs a targeted increase in housing density, making it more affordable for people with less money. The county should pass a job guarantee program that includes professional and service tracks with an eye toward eradicating anti-Black bias in Los Angeles employment. Expanding and making permanent L.A.’s universal basic income program would complement California’s earned income tax credit.

Only policies like these can stem the tide of gentrification that is pushing African Americans and other members of the working class out of Los Angeles’ Metro area. Only then will L.A. be the example of progress it once was for people like my parents. Only then can the kind of childhood I grew up with exist again.

L. Lo Sontag is an urbanist and economics fellow at the New School for Social Research in New York.

@Soul On Ice @KingTaharqa @Supersav @Megatron X @xfactor

LordSinister

One Punch Mayne
Super Moderator
The problem is after first-generation black folks finally purchased property, the next generation cashed in and bought cars and dumb shit, or lost the homes for not paying property tax and other foolish shit. One of my homies was adopted, and when his pops kicked the bucked he started pulling cash out of a fully paid for home in Inglewood. A couple of years later he lost that shit. It was in Inglewood near the Rams stadium. Today that home would be well over a million dollars.

The problem in our community is it is taboo to talk about finances. Black people seem to keep all of that close to the vest and don't let it out. My wife's family will be dealing with this soon. Her mother owns a couple of houses in LA, but the family is divided. Once she's gone there will be a huge fight and the only winners will be the lawyers and the state of California. Fucking sad.

DMXtreem

Rising Star
Platinum Member
The problem is after first-generation black folks finally purchased property, the next generation cashed in and bought cars and dumb shit, or lost the homes for not paying property tax and other foolish shit. One of my homies was adopted, and when his pops kicked the bucked he started pulling cash out of a fully paid for home in Inglewood. A couple of years later he lost that shit. It was in Inglewood near the Rams stadium. Today that home would be well over a million dollars.

The problem in our community is it is taboo to talk about finances. Black people seem to keep all of that close to the vest and don't let it out. My wife's family will be dealing with this soon. Her mother owns a couple of houses in LA, but the family is divided. Once she's gone there will be a huge fight and the only winners will be the lawyers and the state of California. Fucking sad.
Cosign!!! I went through the same thing!!!

LordSinister

One Punch Mayne
Super Moderator
So many black people worked their asses off to purchase homes, only for the next generation to lose them through poor financial decision-making. I have to resist pulling $$ out of our property for luxury shit. I'm trying to leave something for the next generation, but they are doing dumb shit based on wants. I got my Niece to buy a house, but then she went out and got a 7-year can note. :smh::smh: My son purchased a home, but way out in the boonies where he will never get much equity in it. Hopefully, they will learn to manage money better.

Dr. Truth

GOD to all Women
BGOL Investor
So many black people worked their asses off to purchase homes, only for the next generation to lose them through poor financial decision-making. I have to resist pulling $$ out of our property for luxury shit. I'm trying to leave something for the next generation, but they are doing dumb shit based on wants. I got my Niece to buy a house, but then she went out and got a 7-year can note. :smh::smh: My son purchased a home, but way out in the boonies where he will never get much equity in it. Hopefully, they will learn to manage money better.
6-7 year car loan is actually the norm now . Most cars are at least 50k , anything shorter people would be paying 1000 a month . Shits foul out here.

eagle force

Rising Star
Platinum Member

yeah its that baby boomer generation of blacks that fumbled the ball in the 70s and 80s
and the mexican immigrants swooped in and took over

CoTtOnMoUf

DUMBED DOWN TO BLEND IN
BGOL Legend
How do they even qualify for that kind of loan at that salary?

Dunno. Same thing with these houses. These banks are approving people for house loans that they clearly shouldn't be approved for. It's been like this for quite some time

CoTtOnMoUf

DUMBED DOWN TO BLEND IN
BGOL Legend
I thought all that stopped after 2008? It’s mad hard to qualify now. I had to jump though mad hoops to show proof of income when I bought again in 2020

I have an old classmate that bought a house in my neighborhood last year. She makes $40k per year. She bought a $164K house, put down $6k and the bank approved her for the rest. It almost seems like they want you to default. Same thing though... she has a Caddilac SUV (older model) and can barely pay all of her bills. :smh:

Dr. Truth

GOD to all Women
BGOL Investor
I have an old classmate that bought a house in my neighborhood last year. She makes $40k per year. She bought a $164K house, put down $6k and the bank approved her for the rest. It almost seems like they want you to default. Same thing though... she has a Caddilac SUV (older model) and can barely pay all of her bills. :smh:
164k house? WTF

4 Dimensional

Rising Star
Platinum Member

Yep, negroes hate talking about finances. My fam got land and property and they don’t want to discuss wills and shit.

CoTtOnMoUf

DUMBED DOWN TO BLEND IN
BGOL Legend
I paid 700 k for 1300 sq feet 3/2 . Oh well

Wow!

My brother moved to LA back in the late 70s. Bought a house for $32K. He sold it a couple years ago for just under a mill. He moved to Vegas and has a house on a "compound" there. He said, fuck SoCal!

Dr. Truth

GOD to all Women
BGOL Investor
Wow!

My brother moved to LA back in the late 70s. Bought a house for $32K. He sold it a couple years ago for just under a mill. He moved to Vegas and has a house on a "compound" there. He said, fuck SoCal!
I’d rather live in a Blood infested neighborhood in Inglewood than anywhere in Vegas. There’s is something to say about location and housing is cheap for a reason some places.

34real

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The same neighborhoods they been beefing over,fighting and dying for they refused to buy back into and maintain so there will be a hood and it still will be black.

xfactor

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
If the prior generation did that, I’d ask why the immediate decline only one generation later? Because the parents didn’t teach them anything about money? Or was it because they didn’t know shit about it either? Baby boomer generation is full of shit coming and going.

850credit

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Also pop culture fueled materialism.

Nikes Luxury Cars jewelry and all that. I've seen the bummiest dudes driving BMW 5 and 7s. Foreign cars over getting your first house.

For some reason many Blacks feed into the myth that if you don't buy into mainstream Black pop culture you're not Black.

Told this story several times here...

My parents were intellectuals who cut the cable off when I hit 6th grade. My punishment was the only TV I could watch was C Span. Family TV time was Jeopardy, Wheel of Fortune, or the news.

Parents are too interested in being cool themselves and having cool kids rather than setting down into parental roles and furthering the kids educational development.

Doesn't have to be one or the other but if some parents have to choose between debate or math team kids or Quarterback/point guard with the fly clothes and car at 16, they'd rather have a cool kid.

LordSinister

One Punch Mayne
Super Moderator
Yep, negroes hate talking about finances. My fam got land and property and they don’t want to discuss wills and shit.
Shit, my trust is set up and every knows what they are getting. I'm trying to school these kids on what it takes to maintain it. I have a property manager that handles shit and I keep my places nice. I make sure my rents are under the going rate so I never worry about vacancies. I worry about them not handling shit timely, cause they put off everything. Once you are a homeowner and landlord, your taxes insurance and everything needs to be in order.

Supersav

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
So it's black people's fault?

Soul On Ice

Democrat 1st!
Certified Pussy Poster

Opinion: The Black Los Angeles I grew up with is slipping away​

A smile crossed my face when a local NBC outlet recently touted 90-year-old U.S. Postal Service employee Leroy Brown. He has worked for the federal government for 70 years, most of that time for the post office, and has no plans to retire. My father worked at the post office’s World Way location in Westchester. He is 84, and while he did not make it to 70 years of service, I feel his 45 years was rather impressive.

Like Mr. Brown, my father joined the Postal Service after a stint in the Army, where he collected several boxing championship trophies that sat in his craft room at our home in Morningside Park. Our neighborhood was featured in the L.A. Times during the 1992 “riots” as a place that did not burn, owing to the responsible residents. I always felt conflicted about that idea. The people in my neighborhood were proud, but framing us as an exemplar was not fair. We had jobs and owned our homes.

When I was growing up, it was a relatively calm, predominantly African American Los Angeles neighborhood. But the childhood I had in L.A. is no longer possible for most African Americans. We now live in exurbs across the county, dealing with some of the worst effects of the climate crisis and urban sprawl, including forced migration, social isolation and physical health ailments.

SoFi Stadium now overlooks my childhood home. My parents picked our yellow house on the corner with its expansive frontyard and honeysuckle-filled backyard because it was less than a 15-minute drive from my father’s job. I lived in that house until I went away to college.

My mother was a stay-at-home mom. She woke me up, burned my breakfast and took me to the local Catholic school, St. Eugene’s. After school ended, I walked the few short blocks home with my friends. We all did our homework that our mothers would check, and then played until the streetlights came on.

All of this happened in a neighborhood filled with homeowners who worked as clerks and carriers for the post office, public school teachers, social workers for L.A. County, and nurses who worked at Centinela and King hospitals. A neighborhood where most of my friends attended college but often were unable to obtain professional employment in the area after they graduated.

But Los Angeles has been an incredible disappointment. When my mother’s family came to L.A. at the turn of the 20th century, it was filled with opportunities. Architect Paul R. Williams was not just the first Black person on the Los Angeles Planning Board, he was on the very first Planning Board in 1920. In 1913, W.E.B. Du Bois said of the city, “Nowhere in the United States is the Negro so well and beautifully housed.”

But now, the Black poor in L.A. either must take their Section 8 vouchers and live in the desert, where affordable housing can be found, or fall further into poverty, or leave.

Some say that there is no tragedy in the slipping away of Black Los Angeles. It isn’t just happening here. In many major U.S. cities, the Black working poor are being moved to the hinterlands. And the Black working and middle class have been given the message to just move back to the South, where we were once enslaved.

The choice of living in the exurbs of Los Angeles or the South for L.A.’s Black population harms the cultural richness of the city. Its leaders must work to preserve the working class. This requires more careful urban planning and policies that improve people’s material well-being. Los Angeles needs a targeted increase in housing density, making it more affordable for people with less money. The county should pass a job guarantee program that includes professional and service tracks with an eye toward eradicating anti-Black bias in Los Angeles employment. Expanding and making permanent L.A.’s universal basic income program would complement California’s earned income tax credit.

Only policies like these can stem the tide of gentrification that is pushing African Americans and other members of the working class out of Los Angeles’ Metro area. Only then will L.A. be the example of progress it once was for people like my parents. Only then can the kind of childhood I grew up with exist again.

L. Lo Sontag is an urbanist and economics fellow at the New School for Social Research in New York.

@Soul On Ice @KingTaharqa @Supersav @Megatron X @xfactor
I'm reminded when mayor Karen Bass, was speaking about pro immigration or similar, her Black constituents looking on (many who were homeless), and she told them to stop complaining and go home...

LordSinister

One Punch Mayne
Super Moderator
If the prior generation did that, I’d ask why the immediate decline only one generation later? Because the parents didn’t teach them anything about money? Or was it because they didn’t know shit about it either? Baby boomer generation is full of shit coming and going.
It's lots of things. Crack in the 80's devalued black neighborhoods and cac came in and offered cash, plus you could buy in Riverside or MO valley. Lots of blacks fled, and cacs moved in and gentrification took place.

Like I've said before, I still own my great grandfathers house. He paid 5k for it, moms moved in and took care of him and my grand uncle and when they passed, she got it. My pops added apartments to the home for rental income. As a kid I had to go there and paint, clean and maintain shit between tenants.

Fast forward to 2023 and that shit is close to 2 million. Imagine if my mom sold the house in the 70's? Shit, pops said we finna rent the house and I'm buying my own house. I didn't live off pops work, I bought a condo with my girlfriend, bought me a house and when we got married we bought our current home. But those were the values I was taught. My parents are from the greatest generation so spending money like crazy isn't in my DNA.

However a lot of Boomers and older gen x fled the hood and took the money with them to the new ghettos in the suburbs.

LordSinister

One Punch Mayne
Super Moderator
So it's black people's fault?
You read that in what I wrote? Didn’t I say cac's offering new homes in the burbs, crack from Reagan and the CIA and gentrification? It's like the crime bill, If you weren't around in the 80's you don't know how much black folks supported it. Nobody was thinking about 40 years down the line, we wanted crackheads and dealers gone.

If the devil offers you the apple and you take a bite cause you were starving who's at fault.

Why do you think so many black people sold family homes for a fancy car and a house in the burbs?

Don Coreleone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Or in some cases that generation who were given houses just didn't give a fuck about those houses. My grandfather who had little to no education helped 4 of his grown kids purchase homes before the man turned 50. This was in the 60's. The only person who still owns their house today is my daddy who married into the family. My so-called educated uncles just basically gave their homes away for a song and a dance. That's not to absolve my daddy of his shit because his uncles gave him property for his children that he let his sister con his ass out of. To this day he'll ask us why my mother pretty much despised his ass after they got divorced.

DC_Dude

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Samething happened in DC....The main reason why Chocolate City is now Vanilla City...