Official Boxing Thread

babygwirl18

Rising Star
Registered
broner vs porter has got fight of the year all over it. If broner can win, he's a superstar in my book. But it's going to be tough.

I always thought of broner like andre berto. Strong and athletic, but too many defensive holes. Porter is going to be on top of him and force him to fight.

Hopefully broner wins though because I like him. He's young, flashy and talented. He should probably worksite a trainer like Floyd sr to help work on some of his flaws.

I can't wait for the fight.

alexw

Unapologetically Afrikan!
Platinum Member
<iframe width="640" height="390" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/WA_vc2Rcbnk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

slewdem100

Rising Star
OG Investor
broner vs porter has got fight of the year all over it. If broner can win, he's a superstar in my book. But it's going to be tough.

I always thought of broner like andre berto. Strong and athletic, but too many defensive holes. Porter is going to be on top of him and force him to fight.

Hopefully broner wins though because I like him. He's young, flashy and talented. He should probably worksite a trainer like Floyd sr to help work on some of his flaws.

I can't wait for the fight.

Nah, they fucking Porter up with that catchweight...Broner is a better boxer than Berto but he is too undisciplined at times...the fight is being setup for Broner to win...Porter was a middleweight as an amateur...thats why he is so strong at welterweight...coming down to 144 will be a problem

Skinnie Talls

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Is there an official site or app where I can get HBO & Showtimes boxing schedule? I almost always miss those daytime saturday fights on basic cable too.

alexw

Platinum Member
<iframe width="640" height="390" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/sZXZ2NHZboE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/D5PwdGj39F4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

alexw

Platinum Member
Nicholas Walters stripped of world title after failing to make weight

Nicholas Walters failed to make weight Friday afternoon and was stripped of his featherweight world title ahead of his fight against Miguel Marriaga on Saturday night at the Theater at Madison Square Garden in New York.

Walters was initially 127.4 pounds, 1.4 over the 126-pound division limit. Under New York State Athletic Commission rules he had two hours to shed the extra weight but when he returned to the scale nearly two hours later he was still 127 pounds and he was stripped of the belt, although the bout will still go on as scheduled in the main event of an HBO broadcast (10 p.m. ET/PT).

Marriaga (20-0, 18 KOs), 28, of Colombia, who beat Walters in an amateur fight at a 2008 Olympic qualifying tournament, was 125.2 pounds and he is eligible to win the vacant title.

Walters agreed to pay Marriaga an undisclosed amount of money from his purse to go through with the fight, according to promoter Top Rank. There was no additional fine imposed by the New York commission.

"I'm coming off an eight-month layoff. I tried everything," said Walters, who made a big impression in that last fight in October when he knocked out 2012 fighter of the year Nonito Donaire in the sixth round for an upset in their world title bout.

Carl Moretti, vice president of Top Rank, Walters' promoter, said he was a bit surprised he did not make weight.

"He worked out as hard as he could but the last couple of pounds are always hard for him to get off and he tried to, but physically he felt he would have nothing left if he kept working to get that last pound off," Moretti said. "I'm a little surprised. I saw him struggle to make weight for the Donaire fight and also for his previous fight, so I always knew 130 was around the corner. I just didn't think it would be around the corner for this fight. He's definitely going to 130 pounds after this."

Moretti said just because Walters (25-0, 21 KOs), 29, of Jamaica, is moving up in weight it would not preclude a much-anticipated fight with featherweight titleholder Vasyl Lomachenko (4-1, 2 KOs), the brilliant two-time Ukrainian Olympic gold medalist, whom Top Rank plans to match with him if he wins on Saturday night. It would not, however, be to unify titles.

"We'd still like to do the fight," Moretti said. "Let's see what happens Saturday. If we make that fight, they can fight over 126."

Puerto Rican lightweight sensation Felix Verdejo (17-0, 13 KOs), 22, the 2014 ESPN.com prospect of the year, and San Antonio prospect Ivan "Bam Bam" Najera (16-0, 8 KOs), also 22, both made weight for their scheduled 10-round bout, which was contract at maximum weight of 133 pounds. Verdejo weighed 133 pounds and Najera was 131.4 pounds.

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/i...ters-stripped-world-title-failing-make-weight

alexw

Platinum Member
Danny Garcia forced to relinquish WBC world title

Junior welterweight champion Danny Garcia, who has not defended his belts since March 2014 and is planning to fight a third nontitle bout in a row, was left with no choice but to relinquish his WBC world title on Thursday or have it stripped from him.

Garcia owes a mandatory defense to No. 1 contender Viktor Postol, but rather than face him next, as the WBC ordered late last year, Garcia is planning to fight former titleholder Paulie Malignaggi on Aug. 1 (on ESPN) at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York.

The WBC announced that Garcia and WBC president Mauricio Sulaiman had "a very emotional conversation" on Thursday and that Garcia "agreed to relinquish" the belt.

The WBC also announced that it would order Postol to face Lucas Matthysse for its vacant 140-pound title.

"Danny's weight situation forced his decision to fight at welterweight," the WBC said.

The WBC gave Garcia the designation of "champion emeritus," which would allow him to immediately challenge for the junior welterweight title he vacated if he decides to return to the weight class, although that is unlikely.

Garcia, the lineal champion at 140 pounds, also holds the WBA belt. No decision has been announced on the status of that title.

Garcia (30-0, 17 KOs), 27, of Philadelphia, has fought at 140 pounds for his entire seven-year professional career and problems making weight led to his taking nontitle bouts over 140 pounds.

Garcia's camp paid Postol a six-figure fee to step aside and allow Garcia to face titleholder Lamont Peterson in a nontitle bout at 143 pounds on April 11. The deal called for Postol to get a spot on the undercard and that Garcia would either defend against him next or vacate.

It was an open secret in boxing circles that Garcia was never going to face Postol and that became official on Thursday.

Postol (27-0, 11 KOs), 31, of Ukraine, earned the mandatory shot by knocking out Selcuk Aydin in spectacular fashion in the 11th round of a stellar performance 13 months ago in Inglewood, California. He won an eight-round shutout decision against Jake Giuriceo on the April 11 Garcia-Peterson undercard.

Matthysse (37-3, 34 KOs), 32, of Argentina, challenged Garcia for the title in September 2013 in Las Vegas and lost a highly competitive unanimous decision. Matthysse has won three fights in a row since, including a majority decision against former junior welterweight titlist Ruslan Provodnikov on April 18 in Verona, New York, in a hellacious battle that is the front-runner for 2015 fight of the year honors.

The Matthysse and Postol camps both told ESPN.com they want to make the fight.

"We like the fight," said Eric Gomez, vice president of Golden Boy Promotions, which represents Matthysse. "We've contemplated this happening. Matthysse is all-in."

Said Carl Moretti, vice president of Top Rank, Postol's co-promoter, "Obviously we're not shocked by what happened with Garcia. We knew Danny Garcia was never going to defend his title again. We look forward to making the fight with Matthysse. It's a great fight stylistically and we'll get a deal done as soon as possible. It's a really interesting fight."

Garcia won the vacant WBC belt in March 2012 by outpointing Erik Morales, who had been stripped the day before the bout for failing to make weight. Garcia went on to make five defenses -- knockouts of Amir Khan (against whom he unified titles) and Morales in a rematch, followed by decision wins against former titleholder Zab Judah and Matthysse and a heavily disputed majority decision against Mauricio Herrera.

Garcia then fought two nontitle bouts in a row, blowing out club fighter Rod Salka in two rounds last August and then outpointing Peterson.

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/13060404/danny-garcia-forced-relinquish-wbc-world-title

alexw

Platinum Member
Tommorow night:

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9_zLDHSOZN8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

alexw

Platinum Member
This nigga lmaooooooooo

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/eWvMC283TtQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

alexw

Platinum Member
gotdamn he crumpled

and johnson was supposed to be the ko artist

:eek:

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
HBO special on the Resto/Collins fight:

SIde note: Tarver done lost his damned mind if he thinks he can beat VLadimir.

HeathCliff

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Ya'll heads up...Keep in mind next saturday, not only will we have Shawn Porter vs Broner @8:30EST on NBC but Andre Ward vs Paul Smith will air on BET @10:00EST :yes::cool:

alexw

Platinum Member
Shawn Porter sparring with Shane Mosley:

"That's some funny shit...they look so much alike." :lol:

yeah that was funny and its also sounds like old ass mosley was schooling him

"we know he is 1st ballot hall of fame"

alexw

Platinum Member
Tonight!

Wilder-Molina.jpg

will_right

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The REAL fight tonight is gonna be Walters vs. Marriaga..WALTERS is the dude that Knocked out Nonito Donare. And the guy he's fighting is the guy that beat him in the amateurs..DON'T SLEEP!! this WILL be a good one it will be on HBO the same time as the Wilder card

11glvrn.jpg
:yes:

<iframe width="820" height="461" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/xiGSQfxRqsQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:

FJP

Rising Star
OG Investor
Wilder is supposed to be last american hope at heavyweight. I wasn't impressed at all last few times I seen him.