Official 2018 NBA Offseason Thread: free agency starts 7/1 - Summer League action is here!

BAG

Cleveland D-T-W [216]
BGOL Investor
I think Lebron is going to get Kawahi Leonard in a Cavs uniform somehow and JR Smith Kevin Love will be in Texas, or CJ McCollum and Cousins form a big 3 in Cleveland.

;)

gene cisco

Not A BGOL Eunuch
BGOL Investor
I think Lebron is going to get Kawahi Leonard in a Cavs uniform somehow and JR Smith Kevin Love will be in Texas, or CJ McCollum and Cousins form a big 3 in Cleveland.

;)

Ain't no star wanting a trade to Cleveland so they can go through this 'will he stay or leave' drama with Lebron.

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member

;)

Naw JR might be good, Clarkson can go but it's gonna be the number 8th pick and Kevin Love but that don't really make sense because they have Aldridge

BAG

Cleveland D-T-W [216]
BGOL Investor
Ain't no star wanting a trade to Cleveland so they can go through this 'will he stay or leave' drama with Lebron.

All depends on how long Kawahi and McCollum's contracts are you can always request a trade like Irving did, if they only have 1-2yrs left then they good money to come help LBJ topple that regime out west and if they do it they re-up year by year

KingTaharqa

Greatest Of All Time
BGOL Investor
Ain't no star wanting a trade to Cleveland

You could've stopped there bro. Name 1 big time free agent the Cavs have ever signed? Or a player that demanded a trade there? Now that Bron's gone and the "wait and see" stuff wont be present, lets see who flocks to Ohio.

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member

Backstage at the Cavs’ loss: the champagne goggles of victory and the icy agony of defeat

As Golden State ripped the spirit from the Cavaliers crowd, fans wondered: Will LeBron stay, or will he go?
Justin TinsleyJune 9, 2018
As Golden State ripped the spirit from the Cavaliers crowd, fans wondered: Will LeBron stay, or will he go?

“I’m done for now, so one for now/ Possibly forever, we had fun together/ But like all good things we must come to an end/ Please show the same love to my friends …”

Jay-Z, “Dear Summer” (2005)

It’s all anyone could focus on. In the streets. In hotel lobbies. Even in Ubers. Anything else? Nothing more than small talk. Is the city of Cleveland ready to embrace the idea that Game 4 of the 2018 NBA Finals could be the last time they see LeBron James as a Cavalier?

“If you come to the black community,” said Branson Wrightof the Cleveland Plain Dealer, “a lot of people are saying, ‘Well, he did what he said he was going to do. He’s a free agent and has a right to go. He got us a championship.’ We’d like him to stay, but if he goes, he goes.” Wright met James in 2001 at a scrimmage on the fourth-floor practice court at Quicken Loans Arena. It was organized by then-Cavs coach John Lucas when James was headed into his junior year of high school. “Then you have the people in other communities — I wouldn’t think it’s the same disappointment as before. Burning his jersey? I don’t think that’s gonna happen.”

Hundreds, if not thousands, of LeBron James jerseys — some throwback, some present-day — littered Quicken Loans for what no one hoped (but many expected) would be the end of an era. The response to James’ pregame introduction was deafening. Kids stood, mouths wide open, even those in Stephen Curry or Kevin Durant jerseys. During the first half, the crowd roared with each basket.

As Cleveland went into halftime, a sliver of hope remained that James would once again put the team and city on his back and will them to a victory that would at least force the series back to Oakland, California. It never came. Not even a halftime performance by Lil Jon could inject energy into a crowd who had more pressing thoughts on its mind than “Turn Down For What” or “Shots.”

The depth of James’ heartbreak was visible. It can seem like The Truman Show, but this is his actual life.

The Golden State Warriors ended the Cavs’ season and perhaps James’ tenure in Cleveland with a 6-0 run to start the third. The game was never close again. Signs read “LeBron don’t leave x2” and “LBJ we will be here next year. Will you?” Golden State was flawless at ripping the spirit from the arena. They did it with a barrage of 3s, yes, but also with defense. Each Cavs’ turnover that led to another Warriors bucket twisted the knife in deeper. Once again in Cleveland sports, the hometown team was on the wrong side of history.

Fans slowly trickled out of the arena halfway starting at the third quarter. Those who stayed even briefly booed their team’s effort. Everyone understood. The series was over — and maybe their annual trips to the Finals were over as well. James checked out for good with 4:03 left. He was given a standing ovation and a MVP chant while making sure to dap up each Warriors player and each of his teammates.

Several fans yelled, “We love you, LeBron!”

“Please don’t leave us again!”

“We can’t do this without you!”

Make a left outside the Cavs’ locker room, walk for about 20 seconds and a thick smell of Moet hits harder than a David West screen. Drenched goggles sat atop the heads of players and their loved ones. Media personnel took notes while dodging champagne showers. The Warriors had achieved their goal. They won their second consecutive title and third in the last four years. And depending on how the next few weeks pan out, they just might have “[swept LeBron] out of Cleveland.”

Inside the Cavs’ locker room: a polar opposite mood. Some Cavs stared into their phones. Guard Rodney Hood sat emotionless, hand on chin, leaning forward in a towel and staring into the abyss. The only true noise came from journalists positioning themselves for the next interview.

Off in the corner was a dejected, exasperated and distraught James, his knees covered by two large pallets of ice. His feet in a black bucket of ice water. His hand was iced too, and it would soon be revealed that James had played the final three games with a “significant right hand injury” after a “self-inflicted” injury that occurred after Game 1.

“Burning his jersey? I don’t think that’s gonna happen.”

And while the timing and even severity of the injury runs through the social media and talk radio wringers, one thing is for certain. James never truly moved past Game 1. It was the Cavs’ lone opportunity to strike a semblance of fear in Golden State. Game 1’s J.R. Smith moment will eternally live in Cleveland sports history — seamlessly joining a motorcade of heartbreaks that have haunted generations of the city’s residents.

A towel was draped over James’ head as he leaned against a wall. His two sons, LeBron Jr. and Bryce, along with a group of friends, joined James in the locker room. It’s a side of James rarely seen. He was vulnerable and, at least at that moment, immediately postgame, void of any solutions. It felt like no one wanted to look at James, and that no one succeeded in not looking at James. He was experiencing the series loss as an existential loss. The depth of James’ heartbreak was visible. It can seem like The Truman Show, but this is his actual life.

The best player in the world suffered his second NBA Finals sweep. The game’s best player is at the mercy of the game’s best team. In the modern era of the NBA, we’ve never seen an all-time great player, one with the skills to go down as the greatest to ever live, encounter such hardships on the game’s highest stage.

He wants them to feel this pain. He wants that joy again.

Whatever decision rocks the sports world and shifts the balance of power in the NBA in the coming weeks won’t be inspired solely by basketball. “The one thing that I’ve always done is considered, obviously, my family,” James said. “Understanding especially where my boys are at this point in their age. They were a lot younger the last time I made a decision like this four years ago. I’ve got a teenage boy, a preteen and a little girl that wasn’t around as well. So sitting down and considering everything, my family is a huge part of whatever I’ll decide to do in my career.”

But he has to be tired of this. In the last two years, he’s only won one Finals game. James knows the history of basketball better than anyone. He knows that despite his undeniable stats, undeniable goodwill and undeniable impact on the game, a large part of his legacy will be about what he’s done on the grandest stage. These Warriors are a direct threat to that.

If Friday night was James’ last time walking out of Quicken Loans Arena as part of the home team, he can take solace in the fact that the goal he sought four years ago when he left Miami can never be erased. He’ll come back one day to a jersey retirement and an eventual statue. He and his family have forever changed northeastern Ohio. “He’s just really touching lives and changing the face of Akron and Cleveland. I’m proud of them,” said Lucia Johnson, a dentist at VIP Smiles in Maple Heights. “My children look up to LeBron and all the things he’s doing. I bring them down to the arena, but it’s not just about sports. It’s bigger than basketball, like LeBron says.”

As James, his sons, and his entourage walked to the parking deck at 12:45 a.m., he looked like a man with the weight of his new reality squarely on his shoulders. His eyes facing slightly down, but still looking ahead. His lips are set as if he wants to say something, but doesn’t. In the distance, the Warriors can still be heard celebrating. He wants them to feel this pain. He wants that joy again.

Day_Carver

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

;)

Man you need to really stop it; I get the fandom, I do, but come on bro....

BAG

Cleveland D-T-W [216]
BGOL Investor
Man you need to really stop it; I get the fandom, I do, but come on bro....

It could happen, Cavs been linked to Portland and McCollum for two seasons, and Kawhai Is a quiet dude who would benefit from Lebron's shadow over his.

and all yall clowns talking about nobody wants to play for Cleveland shit, remember Kyrie Irving could have bolted from Cleveland but signed a 5yr extension instead

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
http://www.tmz.com/2018/06/17/kristaps-porzingis-ibiza-blonde-bikini-acl-injury/

0617-kristap-mega-4.jpg

0617-kristap-mega-9.jpg

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member
Sources: Gay opting out of deal with Spurs
San Antonio Spurs forward Rudy Gay is declining his 2018-19 player option to become an unrestricted free agent this summer, league sources tell ESPN.

Gay is turning down a salary of $8.8 million in order to hit free agency.

The 31-year-old veteran signed a two-year, $17 million deal with the Spurs last offseason, and the deal contained a player option on the second year.

During his lone season in San Antonio, Gay served in a reserve capacity for the first time in his 11-year NBA career. He appeared in 57 games during the 2017-18 campaign, averaging 11.5 points and 5.1 rebounds in a career-low 21.6 minutes per game.

The Spurs are now waiting for a decision from shooting guard Danny Green, who has a player option of $10 million.

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member
What can the Celtics offer in a trade for Kawhi Leonard?
7:46 AM CT
  • Kevin Pelton and Bobby Marks
After Friday's news that Kawhi Leonard wants to be traded, Kevin Pelton and Bobby Marks talked about what the Boston Celtics should consider in a trade offer for Leonard:

Boston's 'good problem'
Kevin Pelton: The Boston Celtics are on the clock for Kawhi Leonard. That's what I took from ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski reporting Friday, after we learned that Leonard wants to be traded by the San Antonio Spurs, that the Celtics are interested in making an offer after attempting to deal for Leonard at the trade deadline.

With ample young talent, copious draft picks and even some veteran All-Stars who could be available in the right trade, Boston is an easy first choice for any team looking to deal a star at this point. However, finding a fit between the Celtics and Spurs might not be as easy as it looks.

Boston has what might comfortably be termed a good problem: a lack of bad salary. There's nobody on the Celtics scheduled to make between $6.7 million (Jayson Tatum) and $20.1 million (Kyrie Irving) in 2018-19, which makes it tricky for them to find salary to match Leonard's identical $20.1 million salary unless one of their All-Stars is included.

So, Bobby, how can Boston make this work?

Bobby Marks: You are right, making the money work is the hard part. Remove the big three in Irving, Al Horford and Gordon Hayward, and Boston is potentially looking at players such as Tatum, Jaylen Brown, Terry Rozier, Marcus Morris and Guerschon Yabusele to send in return. The Celtics do have the partially guaranteed contracts of Daniel Theis, Semi Ojeleyeand Abdel Nader to throw in as filler but would need to guarantee the contracts of each because only a small amount is protected in their deals (in the case of Theis, his salary is fully non-guaranteed).

The Celtics could use restricted free agent Marcus Smart in a trade if the guard agreed to a three-year contract for around $36 million; the contract would have to be a minimum of three years based on the rules for a sign-and-trade deal. Combined with Smart's salary (which would count just $6 million for trade matching purposes because of the base-year compensation rule), Brown, Morris and Yabusele, the finances would work for Leonard. In fact, that trade works (by $11,426) even if Leonard does not waive his 15 percent trade kicker that would add $3 million to his $20 million salary for next year.

Hayward, Irving and draft picks
Marks: Kevin, I know this sounds cold, but wouldn't you want to swap Brown and replace him with Hayward, even if that meant taking back Pau Gasol?

Pelton: That's an interesting thought, Bobby. Assuming full health, Hayward is certainly the better player at this stage of their careers, but his biggest strength relative to Brown -- shot creation -- becomes less valuable to a Boston team that would in this scenario already have Irving, Leonard and Tatum in the starting five. Brown is an ideal role player alongside that group.

The Celtics would probably end up saving some money in that version of the trade, which has value given the team's tax situation. Including Theis' non-guaranteed salary, Boston will start the summer about $12 million below the tax line. Adding salary in a Leonard trade would make it that much more difficult for the Celtics to avoid starting the clock on the repeater tax, which could become exorbitant in a few years.

By 2019-20, Boston's payroll could balloon. Irving can become a free agent that summer and command a raise of more than $10 million on his current salary. Leonard would be in the same position if the Celtics were able to re-sign him.

However, including Hayward in a trade the year after signing him in free agency is probably a nonstarter. But what about Irving? After all, Boston has no more certainty that Irving will re-sign as an unrestricted free agent next summer than it does with Leonard. Would you consider swapping the two players?

Marks: You are certainly right about the cumulative future salary. I don't see how it would be feasible to have four players on max contracts (Hayward, Horford, Irving and Leonard) at the start of the 2019-20 season -- not to mention the likelihood of the repeater clock starting this year based on the Celtics' projecting to be a tax team.

If Boston offered Irving, the San Antonio front office would have plenty of pros and cons to debate. When healthy, Irving is a top-10 talent and one of the best point guards in the NBA. He would certainly give Gregg Popovich plenty of lineup options with Patty Mills and Dejounte Murray in the backcourt.

Aside from the health concerns -- which are certainly something to consider -- Irving's expiring contract and the amount it would cost to retain him could keep Spurs GM R.C. Buford up at night. Irving has been noncommittal about his future in Boston, and losing him for nothing would be a risk. Of course, because of Leonard's health and expiring contract, you can make the same argument if you keep him instead.

Irving would likely cost $188 million to re-sign as a free agent in the summer of 2019, and with the salary cap possibly spiking from $101 million to $108 million in 2019-20, we could have more than the eight teams with cap room this year.

But if Boston were to throw in the 2019 Sacramento or Memphis draft pick (to which the Celtics hold the rights), that's a deal certainly worth talking about. If the offer were Irving alone, it would be a no for me.

Let's say Boston elects to include Brown. Wouldn't you hold back on adding draft picks to a deal?

Pelton: That's a fascinating question and one I'm not sure I can answer until after free agency plays out. How much the Celtics should be willing to offer here depends in large part on their confidence in re-signing Leonard as a free agent.

If Leonard is really set on playing for the Lakers, I'd feel a lot more comfortable making a big offer if the Lakers use their cap space this summer to sign LeBron James and another player, which would take them out of the market for free agents in the summer of 2019. (James and another max free agent alone would prevent them from creating max space, even if they traded everyone else on the roster.)

I do think it's interesting that conventional wisdom has assumed that the Celtics will act aggressively in pursuing Leonard after they were unwilling to do what it took to get Jimmy Butler or Paul George last summer. (Though, depending on whom you ask, their offer for George might have been more attractive in a vacuum at the time than what the Indiana Pacers got.)

Yes, Danny Ainge dipped into the stockpile of draft picks to add Irving last summer. But knowing what we know now about Isaiah Thomas' health, that looks more like a deal too good to pass up than a case of Boston going all-in on a star player. Yes, Leonard is surely the best player of this group. Still, I don't think the Celtics are going to offer as much for him as a possible rental as they would a player under contract for several years.

As I wrote in the Celtics' offseason focus, Boston has two players in Brown and Tatum on controllable rookie contracts for at least the next two seasons. They will combine to earn $11 million in 2018-19, are potential All-Stars and have proved they can play at a high level -- as evidenced by the playoffs this past season. Don't get me wrong, Kawhi Leonard is a top-five NBA player, but paying him $32 million in 2019-20 when the Celtics' duo earns half that would make me pause.

Boston's future draft assets are still absurd: The team could have four first-round picks next June. The Sacramento first (protected only if it's No. 1 overall) is the crown jewel because the Kings are still rebuilding even after missing the playoffs for 12 straight seasons. The depth in the Western Conference means we likely will see Sacramento in the lottery once again.

Pelton: No doubt, Tatum is the Celtics' most valuable player in terms of trade value. I might put the Sacramento pick ahead of Brown, who still has to prove that he can remain an above-average 3-point shooter after improving from 34 percent to nearly 40 percent in his second season.

We'll know more about where to project the Kings when we find out how much talent they add this offseason. Like the Nets last year, Sacramento won't have any incentive to lose games late in the season. That could hurt the pick's value, though the change to the lottery format would still mean a decent chance of it landing Nos. 2-4 in that case.

The protected pick the Memphis Grizzlies owe Boston from the Jeff Green trade is a sleeper. If the pick ends up in the top eight next year -- a distinct possibility if Memphis suffers injuries like this season -- it's top-six protected in 2020 and potentially unprotected in 2021, when Marc Gasolwill be 36 and Mike Conley 33.

We've gotten this far without even mentioning Terry Rozier, whose emergence during the playoffs made the idea of an Irving for Leonard swap plausible. Rozier has demonstrated that he could be a low-end starting point guard, and he is making just $3 million in the last year of his rookie contract, so he'd surely command a pick in the back half of the first round if the Celtics were to make him available.

Add it up, and Boston is in enviable position to win any bidding war for a superstar on the trade market. The question now is whether the Celtics are willing to go deep into the treasure chest to take a chance on re-signing Leonard

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member
Detroit Pistons coach Dwane Casey: 'Time is now' for team to contend

Vince Ellis | Detroit Free Press
28911775001_5796315948001_5796312764001-vs.jpg

Detroit Pistons hire Dwane Casey as coach: Free Press writers react

Free Press sports writer Vince Ellis and columnist Shawn Windsor share their thoughts after Detroit Pistons hire Dwane Casey as coach June 11, 2018.

Vince Ellis and Shawn Windsor, Detroit Free Press

BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. — Seated in the courtyard of the Montage Beverly Hills, excitement and energy exudes from every pore of Dwane Casey’s body.

The Detroit Pistons’ new coach is dressed neatly for the warm Southern California day, wearing shorts and a short-sleeved dress shirt.

The proper attire for a day of people-watching in tony Beverly Hills.

But you can tell he can’t wait to don gym attire and start attacking the work of getting his new team better.

In a 30-minute introductory meeting with the Detroit Free Press on Thursday, Casey wants to make several things clear.

Any ill will toward the Toronto Raptors, who fired Casey last month, evaporated within days.

His thought process in contemplating the Pistons job offer had nothing to do with the Raptors still owing him $6.5 million for one more year.

He has quickly formed a bond with Pistons owner Tom Gores.

He has no issue with the lack of public clarity in the front office.

And he thinks a roster built around Blake Griffin, Andre Drummond and Reggie Jackson can not only reach the playoffs — it can advance.

Feature: Pistons' Luke Kennard was groomed to be NBA player — by his dad

Every point came with a smile.

“The team is well put together as far as the talent level is concerned,” Casey said. “It’s right there as far as making a jump. It’s a process to get there and when we get there, I don’t want our guys to be satisfied with just making the playoffs. We want to get in and do some damage. Not only get to the playoffs, but get in there and advance.

“The time is now.”

Modern man
When Raptors president Masai Ujiri fired Casey on May 11, it seemed like it was only a matter of time before the veteran head coach would land with the Pistons, who fired Stan Van Gundy earlier that week.

Casey led the Raptors to a franchise-record 59 victories and helped them earn the top seed in the Eastern Conference playoffs for the first time.

He earned coach of the year honors from his coaching peers. He likely will be a finalist for the media’s coach of the year honor, which will be presented later this month.

There was steady improvement with the Raptors, who hired Casey in 2011. He was 320-238 in seven seasons and is the franchise’s winningest coach. His playoff record was 21-30.

As an assistant coach, he was credited with devising the defensive scheme that limited LeBron James when the Dallas Mavericks won the 2011 NBA title in six games over the Miami Heat.

But there were question marks.

More: Jalen Rose: Dwane Casey 'right coach, at the right time' for Pistons

The fans and media complained about his lack of coaching adjustments, and after seeing James and the Cleveland Cavaliers eliminate the Raptors in three straight postseasons, ownership decided it was time for a change.

A source told the Free Press going into his interview that expectations for Casey were “lukewarm.”

Not necessarily because of the Raptors' shortcomings.

Pistons vice chairman Arn Tellem, a strong voice in the search, is naturally drawn to finding new, rising talents in his decision-making process.

Casey, 61, is a known commodity.

The coaching candidates included rising assistants like San Antonio Spurs assistant coach Ime Udoka and former Fab Fiver and Miami Heat assistant Juwan Howard.

TNT analyst and two-time NBA champion Kenny Smith was a wildcard.

Michigan coach John Beilein was the ultimate wildcard.

Casey was first to formally interview with the search team of Tellem, senior adviser Ed Stefanski and ownership representative Bob Wentworth. Former NBA head coaches Jim Lynam and Bernie Bickerstaff advised the process and sat in on the meeting.

“It probably was to his advantage that he went first and he really knocked the ball out of the park,” Stefanski said. “He was excellent on all our questions.”

More: Detroit Pistons' Dwane Casey may help change black-coach stereotypes

He immediately dispelled notions that he was just a retread.

He came prepared with detailed notes on how he would seek to develop the roster. There were visuals with video.

And despite a coaching career that has spanned five decades, he offered examples of being open to adapting with changing times.

Casey told the search team about how he let a young staffer convince him of the benefits of analytics. He laughed when asked about the Raptors staff member.

“He had a master’s degree in something like water science, molecular science or some crazy degree,” Casey said. “I said, ‘Are you crazy? Are you sure you want to get into basketball? You can make a lot of money (in that field).

“He convinced me and showed me analytically that analytics can improve your efficiency offensively and defensively. We incorporated it and our offensive output went out of the roof.”

The Raptors finished last in assists per game in 2016-17 (18.5 per game). Last season, they finished sixth (24.3 per game).

The most important trait displayed in the interview?

He was inspiring — instantly showing how he will earn the respect of the players.

“He commanded the room,” Stefanski said. “What you want is a presence with the players. The other applicants did a good job, but ‘Case,’ having won on the level he’s won, was very, very important to us and the team we have right now.”

Playing the kids
Tellem also received firsthand intel from his son, Michael, an agent for Raptors center Jakob Poeltl.

Poeltl has steadily progressed in his two seasons — despite needing development like any young player.

“From the time he got in, Casey gave (Poeltl) a real role and he got playing time,” Tellem said. “He’s really developed. Poeltl really felt Casey was really committed and cared about his development as a player and that is really important for a young player to feel that a coach is invested in you.”

Casey had a plan for playing time from the outset — a stark contrast to Van Gundy, who was slow to give young players consistent playing time in many cases.

Poeltl anchored a Raptors second unit last season that many considered the best in the league. Aside from veteran swingman C.J. Miles, the unit was comprised of youngsters.

“(Poeltl) has continued to develop,” Tellem said. “He’s become one of the better young centers in the league and he has a very promising future.”

The Raptors had NBA finals aspirations as the league’s top seed, but it didn’t stop Casey from playing young players.

Stefanski, who was a coaching liaison in the Raptors' front office when Casey first arrived in Toronto, jokes that he had to evolve there.

But the results speak for themselves.

“Casey had a contending club,” Tellem said. “They were fighting to win their division championship and go far in the playoffs and fighting for their seeding and he still gave his second unit — which is all young players — he’s given them opportunity and playing time.”

The Pistons don’t have a first-round pick in Thursday’s NBA draft, losing their pick to the Los Angeles Clippers because of the January acquisition of Griffin.

Their bloated payroll is up against the league’s luxury tax threshold, so a high-priced free agent isn’t coming aboard this offseason.

With health, a roster built around Griffin, Drummond and Jackson could stumble into 45 victories — good enough to be first-round fodder in the playoffs.

But for greater improvement from last season’s 39-43 mark, young players Stanley Johnson, Luke Kennard and Henry Ellenson must step to the forefront — making their development crucial.

Ellenson hardly has played in his first two seasons — a mistake if you listen to the Pistons’ decision makers.

“Young players need to play,” Tellem said. “They need to get a consistent opportunity and giving them six minutes or so in the first half has no bearing on wins and losses.

“Those players need that, they need it consistently.”

Meeting Gores
The search team was convinced.

But Gores had some reservations.

He understood Casey had options — he could sit out a year to spend time with his wife and two young kids to recharge the batteries.

Casey was going to coach again, but he could wait and see what develops next offseason.

After an extensive interview with the search team , Casey met with Gores in his Southern California home.

The meeting lasted six hours.

They bonded by talking about their families.

Then they talked basketball.

And in going through the process Casey ultimately impressed Gores.

“As much as he brings in experience, we really wanted to make sure that he really liked this team,” Gores said. “He knew our players, he liked the team. He really dove in over different parts so I feel like we were very fortunate, but we didn’t say ‘Dwane Casey, coach of the year, let’s just hire him.’ We really vetted it out and I think he did his homework, too.

“He could have taken any job he wanted next year and he could have easily waited a year, but he thought this was special.”

Casey left excited, but the appeal of sitting out a year was still appealing.

He sought his wife’s opinion.

The decision was made for Brenda Casey to spend some time with Gores, but with children aged 7 and 10, flight plans were quickly scuttled.

A teleconference was arranged and Gores spoke to the couple.

Gores impressed Brenda when he spoke of the impact the Pistons can have on the revitalization of downtown Detroit.

“Making a difference — not only with basketball — but with the city, the inner city,” Casey said. “(Gores) spoke of the revitalization of downtown, the whole commitment wasn’t just about basketball. My wife was big in a lot of work in Toronto with charity work. That in itself was huge for her.

“It’s not just about basketball. We have a bigger commitment, a bigger responsibility than just basketball.”

It was initially sold as a sales pitch to the wife, but that’s not how Gores sees it.

“I wouldn’t say I had to sell Brenda,” Gores said. “She’s a great adviser and everything happened so fast for them. They were in Toronto for seven years and it came about so fast. After Dwane and I met, he was very convinced and I think she was surprised.

“It was only a few weeks after his time in Toronto so in a way she was verifying. It was a great gut check. She was taking a gut check. He was and it made the process even better.”

Casey and the Pistons hammered out a deal worth $35 million over five seasons with the potential to earn financial incentives, a source told the Free Press.

Quick start
Casey was hired Monday, but he won’t meet with Detroit media until later this week.

With roughly half of the roster training in Southern California, he spent a good part of the week meeting players.

Griffin, Jackson and Drummond gathered at Gores’ home Tuesday evening for an initial meeting.

He watched Griffin, Johnson and Kennard workout Thursday.

He has many ideas. He wants to continue the growth that started in Toronto. There will be an emphasis on ball movement, playing fast and attacking from the weak side.

He said you can expect to see fewer post-ups.

And he isn’t spending a lot of time looking back — although he did run into some of his former Raptors players at UCLA this week.

“We got a group of tremendous young men,” Casey said. “Well-rounded, full of character, very thoughtful, very intelligent. That’s what struck me at first. At my first introduction, the first thing I said is you guys aren’t going to trust me, you don’t know me, but I want to get to know you. I have to earn your trust, I have to earn your respect and that’s what I plan on doing.

“You need that character and depth when you have adversity.”

The Pistons and Gores have taken heat for the slow pace of the search. The Pistons' regular season ended April 11. Van Gundy was fired on May 7. Casey was hired June 11.

The slow pace also underlines the reshaping of the front office, which was necessary since Van Gundy also served as president of basketball operations. (Stefanski has been the only hire on that front.)

Still, it's hard to see a process in which Casey would not have emerged as a top coaching candidate — no matter who is working in the front office.

And if the Pistons had made a move shortly after the season, they might have put a coach in place before Casey was available.

Instead, the organization feels fortunate to have the coach of the year prowling the sidelines at Little Caesars Arena next season.

“We never thought in our wildest dreams that Casey would be available,” Tellem said. “When Tom was going through that process, deciding whether Stan would stay or not, no one anticipated that Casey was going to be out there. It was extremely fortuitous that by waiting and going through the extended process in making a decision — a difficult one for Tom — that Casey did become available.”

Follow Vince Ellis on Twitter @vincent_ellis56.
[/SIZE]

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member
Timofey Mozgov takes his criticism of the Nets to next level
By Brian Lewis

timofey_mozgov1.jpg

Timofey Mozgov doubled-down on his dissatisfaction with Brooklyn, saying he and the Nets have reached a sudden “breaking point” and that head coach Kenny Atkinson either couldn’t or wouldn’t explain Mozgov’s sudden benching this season.

“I’m very dissatisfied with my NBA season. It was a hard one and really bad,” Mozgov said in his personal blog on Scorum, a sports media platform. “The breaking point came quite unexpectedly. The coach just said: ‘This is the situation we have.’ There were no transitional periods, just like this: bang!”

Nets fans can make up their own minds whether Mozgov’s benching was deserved or understandable, but it was certainly abrupt. Rookie first-round pick Jarrett Allen plays the same position and is a cornerstone of Brooklyn’s rebuild. Mozgov is not only 31 but more of a plodding, old-school center miscast in the new NBA.

After starting the early part of the season, Mozgov was demoted to a backup role. Then after Dec. 29, he was relegated to persona non grata. The big Russian center started the first 13 games, then came off the bench in 11 of the next 22. But after that? He appeared in just seven of the last 47 contests, never getting double-digit minutes in a single one.

Mozgov insists he didn’t get any straightforward answers from Atkinson, either at the time or in their season-ending meetings in April.

“I had a personal talk to the coach later, but it did not help,” Mozgov wrote. “Probably the coach had some ideas about me, but he failed to get them through, at least I did not understand anything. The team meeting at the end of the season did not make things clear either. There haven’t been any talks about the next season, so we’ll wait and see.”

The Nets declined to comment on Mozgov’s post.

Still, with two years and $33.7 million left on his contract, he’s nearly untradeable. The Nets have an August 31 deadline to stretch Mozgov’s contract, although with Deron Williams’ salary still on the books as dead money, that seems like an ill-advised course of action.

Mozgov’s agent, Stanislav Ryzhov, told The Post he and the team had not yet had any discussions with general manager Sean Marks about a buyout. But that certainly doesn’t mean that can’t change, ideally before free agency starts July 1.

“Yes, Mozgov is not satisfied, and Nets know about it,” Ryzhov said. “He is motivated to play and hates sitting on the bench. We are 100 percent sure that he is still a contributor, even in nowadays super-fast NBA fashion. However, it makes no sense now to put a trade ultimatum, considering [the] general situation this summer in the league and Timofey’s contract. We’re sure if some good trade possibility comes, we are going to work it out.”

The Nets pick 29th, 40th and 45th in Thursday’s draft at Barclays Center but are exploring ways to move up. They’ve also looked at taking one-year salary dumps that won’t impact 2019 cap space, like Denver’s Kenneth Faried or Charlotte’s Dwight Howard, as NetsDaily reported.

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member
Rumor: Raptors trying to trade up in draft for Shai Gilgeous-Alexander
Dan Feldman
3 hours ago
ap_18075851198815.jpg

AP Photo/Ted S. Warren

The Raptors have major problemsin the playoffs annually.

Is a coaching change enough to fix them?

Toronto already fired Dwane Casey and promoted assistant Nick Nurse after a highly successful regular season. Perhaps, major roster turnover could follow.

Marc Stein of The New York Times:

Shai Gilgeous-Alexander projects to be a late lottery pick. The Raptors have no selections in this draft. So, acquiring one high enough to pick the Kentucky point guard would take plenty.

Kyle Lowry and DeMar DeRozan are stars. Toronto’s bench is stocked with solid young players. O.G. Anunoby is very promising.

So, the Raptors have pieces to move. The only question how much they’d package for a draft pick.

Toronto already has Lowry, Fred VanVleet and Delon Wright at point guard. But Lowry is 32, and VanVleet will be a restricted free agent this summer. If they really believe in Gilgeous-Alexander, the Raptors should try to get him.

All that said, this is the time of year rumors – both credible and not – fly. So, it’s worth remaining skeptical while still considering the validity of what reputable reporters like Stein convey.

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member
Report: LeBron James’ camp likes Collin Sexton
Dan Feldman
6 hours ago
ap_18137807642493-e1529342276824.jpg

AP Photo/Charles Rex Arbogast

In 2014, LeBron James tweeted his fondness for Connecticut point guard Shabazz Napier. The Heat traded up to get Napier in the draft, but LeBron left for the Cavaliers that summer, anyway.

Could history repeat itself, this time in Cleveland?

LeBron has already talked upOklahoma point guard Trae Young, but maybe LeBron and his camp want the Cavs to take a different point guard – Alabama’s Collin Sexton – with the No. 8 pick.

Joe Vardon of Cleveland.com, via Jordan Zirm of ESPN Cleveland:

The Cavaliers should take the best prospect available. Worrying about what LeBron might want makes a mistake only more likely.

LeBron might stay in Cleveland, but as 2014 showed, it won’t be because of a draft pick. If he stays, it very well could be by opting into the final year of his contract. His player-option salary ($35,607,968) is slightly higher than his projected max salary as a free agent (about $35.35 million). If LeBron opts in, the best chance of keeping him long-term is building a better team around him.

That means taking the best prospect at No. 8 or trading the pick for someone who can help LeBron win now. If the top prospect is Sexton, that’s fine. But the Cavs are fare more likely to appease LeBron by getting the pick right in the long run rather than choosing the prospect he wants now.

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member
Report: Cavaliers have made calls to Spurs about Kawhi Leonard
Dane Carbaugh
21 hours ago
ap_17087059925819-e1490673723380.jpg

AP

We still don’t know where San Antonio Spurs forward Kawhi Leonard will end up playing at the start of the 2018-2019 NBA season.

The former NBA Finals MVP reportedly wants to head to Los Angeles, apparently to play for the Lakers. However, there are other teams in the mix for Leonard, and the Spurs themselves want to try to keep him and mend the relationship.

One intriguing team for Leonard is the Cleveland Cavaliers, who reportedly have made calls to San Antonio about landing their star. According to Cleveland.com writer Terry Pluto, the Cavs have made it known they are interested in Leonard.

It’s not clear whether that call was simple due diligence, a whack at trying to entice LeBron James to stay, or a long shot way to replace James if he decides to leave this summer.

The Cavaliers are hilariously over the cap for next season, and don’t have much to offer the Spurs that they’d likely want. The best player on the roster that helps match most of Leonard’s salary is Kevin Love, who already plays the position occupied by LaMarcus Aldridge.

Cleveland does have the No. 8 overall pick in the 2018 NBA Draft, but that’s not enough to snag Leonard. If the Cavaliers had a realistic shot at getting Leonard, it would likely need to be in the form of a three-team deal with another party that has a need for Love.

NBA trades can be weird, and this summer is wrapping up to be a special one. However, Cleveland grabbing Leonard from San Antonio is still a long shot.

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member
Report: As expected, Jamal Crawford declines $4.5 million player option with Minnesota
Kurt Helin
3 hours ago
gettyimages-887414702-e1529367574219.jpg

Getty Images

Jamal Crawford wants a bigger payday, and after a solid season scoring 10.3 points per game for Minnesota last season, he might get it despite a tight market. That’s why what happened on Monday was expected.

Crawford opted out of the final year of his contract with the Timberwolves, reports Shams Charania of The Vertical at Yahoo Sports.

Minnesota Timberwolves guard Jamal Crawford has declined his $4.5 million player option for next season and will become a free agent, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

Crawford, a three-time Sixth Man of the Year, will become one of the top reserve scorers on the open market after facing Monday’s deadline to decide on his option.

The concern for teams is that Crawford is 38 and already showing some decline in his skills and game. Crawford can still be productive, but teams will be leery of offering more than two years guaranteed on his contract. And for a guy who comes off the bench — even a three-time Sixth Man of the Year — teams are not going to spend big.

Crawford may also just be looking for a new team chemistry and role, something at this stage in his career he should be able to get.

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member
Report: Cavaliers flying blind into draft because LeBron doesn’t know what he’s going to do
Kurt Helin
3 mins ago
gettyimages-970039272-e1528512929284.jpg

Getty Images

The first day we’re going to get a hint of LeBron James’ plan this summer is June 29 — that’s the date he has to opt into, or out of, the $35.6 million on his contract for next season.

Opt-in and that means either he’s staying with the Cavaliers or there has been an arrangement made to trade him (likely to Houston). Opt- out and he becomes a free agent on July 1 — he could re-sign with the Cavaliers, or he could sign anywhere else for next season.

What LeBron is doing could impact what the Cavaliers do at the NBA draft, keep the No. 8 pick and draft for the future or try to trade it (probably packaged with Kevin Love or another player) to get LeBron more help now.

But LeBron isn’t going to let the Cavaliers know because he himself doesn’t know, reports Joe Varden of the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

According to sources, the Cavs’ front office and James’ camp have been in contact over the phone and in person, though there has been no meeting with James present, nor has there been any real dialogue as far as James’ future is concerned.

Because the superstar himself doesn’t know.

The Cavs have been signaling (strongly, in some cases) that they’re looking to upgrade their team from the group that was swept out of the Finals this month, whether James stays or goes.

If LeBron is going, then the Cavaliers should consider trading that pick to a team eager to land someone still on the board (if Michael Porter Jr. is still available there likely would be plenty of solid offers). However, if he’s going they should use that pick to start the rebuild (and Porter would be a good step that direction).

In reality, the Cavaliers have to act as if LeBron is gone. That was the sense one got being around the team through the playoffs and Finals, that this relationship had run its course. The Cavaliers should draft the best player they can with that pick, unless some team comes through with a killer offer for the slot (and Love plus the No. 8 is not going to land Kawhi Leonard, who the Spurs are not moving that fast to trade anyway). Then, if and when LeBron leaves, start looking at possible trades for Love, Kyle Korver, and every other veteran on the roster. Start the rebuild.

Still, new GM Koby Altman is flying blind on draft night, and LeBron’s not going to help the team out.

ansatsusha_gouki

Land of the Heartless
Platinum Member
Report: Cavaliers flying blind into draft because LeBron doesn’t know what he’s going to do
Kurt Helin
3 mins ago
gettyimages-970039272-e1528512929284.jpg

Getty Images

The first day we’re going to get a hint of LeBron James’ plan this summer is June 29 — that’s the date he has to opt into, or out of, the $35.6 million on his contract for next season.

Opt-in and that means either he’s staying with the Cavaliers or there has been an arrangement made to trade him (likely to Houston). Opt- out and he becomes a free agent on July 1 — he could re-sign with the Cavaliers, or he could sign anywhere else for next season.

What LeBron is doing could impact what the Cavaliers do at the NBA draft, keep the No. 8 pick and draft for the future or try to trade it (probably packaged with Kevin Love or another player) to get LeBron more help now.

But LeBron isn’t going to let the Cavaliers know because he himself doesn’t know, reports Joe Varden of the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

According to sources, the Cavs’ front office and James’ camp have been in contact over the phone and in person, though there has been no meeting with James present, nor has there been any real dialogue as far as James’ future is concerned.

Because the superstar himself doesn’t know.

The Cavs have been signaling (strongly, in some cases) that they’re looking to upgrade their team from the group that was swept out of the Finals this month, whether James stays or goes.

If LeBron is going, then the Cavaliers should consider trading that pick to a team eager to land someone still on the board (if Michael Porter Jr. is still available there likely would be plenty of solid offers). However, if he’s going they should use that pick to start the rebuild (and Porter would be a good step that direction).

In reality, the Cavaliers have to act as if LeBron is gone. That was the sense one got being around the team through the playoffs and Finals, that this relationship had run its course. The Cavaliers should draft the best player they can with that pick, unless some team comes through with a killer offer for the slot (and Love plus the No. 8 is not going to land Kawhi Leonard, who the Spurs are not moving that fast to trade anyway). Then, if and when LeBron leaves, start looking at possible trades for Love, Kyle Korver, and every other veteran on the roster. Start the rebuild.

Still, new GM Koby Altman is flying blind on draft night, and LeBron’s not going to help the team out.

Many are saying that,if Porter is there at 8,the Cavs are going to pick him up.

https://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2018/06/cavaliers_would_likely_draft_m.html

I believe Porter,Young,Sexton and W. Carter are their main choices.

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member
If Lakers can’t land LeBron or George, they may pursue Cousins
cousins441-777x437.jpg
DeMarcus Cousins of the Pelicans could be a target for the Lakers if they are unable to land LeBron James or Paul George, according to a report.

JUNE 19, 2018

Colton Jones
The Los Angeles Lakers are known to be chasing the likes of LeBron James and Paul George this summer, but according to a source, they have a fallback plan.

DeMarcus Cousins.

The New Orleans Pelicans center is one of the most talented players in the league, but is also known as one of the most volatile (always among the league leaders in technical fouls). He also suffered a torn Achilles’ tendon in January and might not be ready to go at the start of next season.

According to Shams Charania of Yahoo Sports, the Lakers could look to Cousins on a short-term deal if their pursuits of James and George do not come to fruition.

“I think it’s going to be tough to gauge his market before July 1, it might take a little bit of time to develop,” Charania said while appearing on the Yahoo Sports NBA Podcast with Chris Mannix. “Teams like the Lakers, the Mavericks. The Mavericks are going to need to wait until the draft, first of all, to see if they’re going to draft a big and that’s going to take them out of contention. But the Lakers, the Mavericks, there are only a handful of teams with real salary cap space to use this summer.

“The Lakers probably have other players in mind before they would turn to someone like DeMarcus on a one or two-year deal at a really high number.”

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member
Kings, Mavs willing to move down in draft
Mark-Cuban.jpg
Mark Cuban's Dallas Mavericks are willing to move down in the draft, according to a report.

JUNE 12, 2018
If there are one or more teams interested in moving up in the NBA draft, there are reportedly a couple of teams willing to make it happen.

Both the Sacramento Kings and the Dallas Mavericks, owners of the No. 2 and No. 5 overall picks, respectively, in the upcoming draft would be willing to move down, according to Kevin O’Connor of The Ringer.

“The offseason hot stove is already burning up just three days after the Warriors’ win,” O’Connor said. “The Kings and Mavericks are open to moving down in the draft, according to multiple league front-office executives. Sacramento is in the asset-stacking business, while Dallas is trying to compete for the playoffs next season.”

O’Connor went on to say the Los Angeles Clippers, who own both the No. 12 and No. 13 overall selections, are a team looking to move up in the draft.

“The Clippers, who have the No. 12 and No. 13 picks, are one team pushing to move up,” he said. “As I previously reported, and have interest in both [EuroLeague star] Luka Doncic and [Missouri forward] Michael Porter Jr. ”

The draft will be held June 21 at Barclays Center in Brooklyn.

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member
Report: LeBron Scanning Market to See If Players Will Join Him in Cleveland
usa_today_10554877.0-300x200@2x.jpg

News around the NBA these days is generally concentrated on the excitement and mystery surrounding the upcoming 2018 NBA Draft. However, there is also the impending free agency of several superstars who may be moving to different addresses before the 2018-19 season starts.

Among these players, LeBron James is the biggest name whose future destination will send shockwaves across the league if he moves. He is expected to opt out of the $35.6 million player option in the final year of his contract with the Cleveland Cavaliers and become a free agent in July. Though many expect him to leave, there is a belief that James will be inclined to re-sign with the Cavs given the right situation.

In fact, James has reportedly already made some calls to get a feel for players who would want to join him in his quest for a fourth championship in Cleveland.

Joe Vardon of Cleveland.comrecently reported that the four-time MVP is in touch with the team’s front office lately as it seeks to improve its roster.

“According to sources, the Cavs’ front office and James’ camp have been in contact over the phone and in person, though there has been no meeting with James present, nor has there been any real dialogue as far as James’ future is concerned.

“Because the superstar himself doesn’t know.

“The Cavs have been signaling (strongly, in some cases) that they’re looking to upgrade their team from the group that was swept out of the Finals this month, whether James stays or goes.

“They are taking calls from teams looking to move up in the draft via trade, and are seeking proven NBA vets whose presence would both improve the roster and be enticing to James.”

In a perfect world, the Cavs could potentially draft an impact player and trade him to the San Antonio Spurs, along with a few other assets, in exchange for Kawhi Leonard. If they can keep Kevin Love while making the trade happen, then the Wine and Gold will most certainly be in play to secure the services of James for a few more years.

The draft will be held on Thursday and all eyes will be on the Cavs as to who they will select. If that turns out to be a player that the Spurs (or any other team looking to move a superstar) wants, then chances are huge that James stays in Cleveland to make another run at a championship or two in the coming years.

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member
Shrewd judges of talent help Warriors secure gems on draft day
Connor Letourneau June 19, 2018Updated: June 19, 2018 10:28 p.m.
Connor Letourneau June 19, 2018Updated: June 19, 2018 10:28 p.m.
During a predraft workout in 2012, Warriors general manager Bob Myers found himself in awe of a pudgy, unheralded prospect from Michigan State. It was that draft hopeful’s bravado, the way he barked at opponents and willed his team to victories in each scrimmage, that prompted Myers to select him days later with the No. 35 pick.

“You couldn’t help but notice him,” Myers said Tuesday afternoon of Draymond Green. “You couldn’t help but notice that his team won every game, that he was the loudest. He had a passion. He had leadership.”

Six years removed from that workout, Green is a reigning Defensive Player of the Year, a three-time All-Star and, most importantly, a three-time NBA champion. While many of his teammates vacation, Green has been a mainstay at Golden State’s practice facility, trying to help the front office unearth another gem.

Though the Warriors have no glaring needs, they recognize the significance of Thursday’s NBA draft. As a team deep into the luxury tax, Golden State, which owns the No. 28 pick and is interested in buying into the second round for the third straight year, has limited resources to add talent.

The best way for it to contend for championships long-term is to draft players who can be key pieces by the time Green, Stephen Curry, Kevin Durant and Klay Thompson head elsewhere or age out of their prime. It is the same blueprint that the Spurs used to remain atop the league for two decades. After snagging Tim Duncan with the No. 1 pick in 1997, they paired him with draft-night steals Manu Ginobili (No. 57 pick, 1999), Tony Parker (No. 28, 2001) and Kawhi Leonard (No. 15, 2011).

“They’re the paragon,” Myers said of San Antonio. “They’re the one that has seemed to have carried that label of being a contender for so long. We’ve been there for about four or five years. I can’t imagine doing that for 15 more years.”

It wasn’t long ago that the Warriors were infamous for draft-night whiffs.

In 1983, they used the No. 6 pick on a center from Purdue named Russell Cross, who played only 45 games before washing out of the NBA. Chris Washburn, who went No. 3 to Golden State in 1986, is considered one of the biggest busts in NBA history.

In 1995, the Warriors took Joe Smith No. 1 overall over Jerry Stackhouse, Rasheed Wallace and Kevin Garnett. The next year, at No. 11, they passed on future Hall of Famers Kobe Bryant (taken 13th) and Steve Nash (15th) to select center Todd Fuller, who lasted five years in the NBA. Before it selected Curry seventh in 2009, Golden State used lottery picks on Mike Dunleavy (No. 3, 2002), Mickael Pietrus (No. 11, 2003), Ike Diogu (No. 9, 2005) and Patrick O’Bryant (No. 9, 2006).

Since taking over as GM in 2012, Myers has built a reputation as one of the NBA’s shrewdest talent evaluators. In addition to plucking Green in the second round, he has gotten Festus Ezeli — a rotation player before his career was derailed by injury — and Kevon Looney at No. 30.

In the past two years, Myers bought into the second round to grab Patrick McCaw and Jordan Bell at No. 38. The only potential misstep on Myers’ draft-night resume was taking Damian Jones at No. 30 in 2016, and even that could end up going down as a solid pick. After two seasons making strides in the G League (formerly the Development League), Jones — at 22, one of Golden State’s best athletes — is poised to compete for a rotation spot.

“We’ve been fortunate,” Myers said. “Whoever we draft is going to be put with Steph, Klay, KD. … It’s a luxury for us to bring a young player into this environment and show him what winning looks like.”

Still, it only helps that the Warriors are exhaustive in their draft-night preparations. After countless hours scouting prospects throughout the year, the team spends the days before the draft ranking each prospect.

Though Golden State believes in selecting the best player available, it still takes into account how each prospect would fit the roster. With at least a few of their seven free agents sure not to return next season, the Warriors are eyeing a player with the No. 28 pick capable of immediately sliding into the rotation.

They are putting a premium on wing players who can shoot and defend, which should leave them plenty of options late in the first round. Among the prospects being linked to Golden State in mock drafts are Duke’s Gary Trent Jr. and Grayson Allen, Cincinnati’s Jacob Evans III, Creighton’s Khyri Thomas and Georgia Tech’s Josh Okogie.

“We’re looking for players who can come in and help us play,” assistant general manager Larry Harris said. “That’s not to say we wouldn’t look for a guy who has upside or is maybe a little bit younger. But when it comes right down to it, character and IQ are important for us. We look at those two things first.”

It doesn’t hurt that Green has immersed himself in draft planning. For several hours Monday, he discussed various prospects with the Warriors’ scouts and front-office executives. Green has sat in on a couple of predraft workouts and might join the war room for draft night.

“When he speaks, we give him the gravity that his comments deserve,” said Myers, who would like nothing more than to draft the next Green on Thursday.

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member
Source: 'Right price' Mavs eye DFW guy Marcus Smart of Celtics
13 hours ago
There may be no free-agent-to-be juggling as many balls as Marcus Smart of the Boston Celtics -- and one of those balls may be a July 1 bid from his hometown Dallas Mavericks.

An NBA source tells DallasBasketball.com that depending on Smart's asking price, the Mavs can be expected to explore pursuing the 6-4 guard, a defense-first battler who scores 10 points per game for a Celtics team that made it to the Eastern Conference Finals.

This news is part of the Mavs juggling balls, too. The coming hours are heavily devoted to Thursday's NBA Draft, when Dallas has the No. 5 pick. But who gets drafted (and at what position) is part of the puzzle of who might be pursued on July 1. (Or in some cases, given Dallas' unique "June Room'' situation, in the next two days.)

Smart can be a puzzle piece.

On the one hand, Smart, the sixth-overall pick in the 2014 NBA Draft, seems committed to a return to Boston. "I'm here,'' he said. "They're already planning for me to be here. Those guys, I tip my hat to those guys. You don't see a lot of organizations that's as clear about their players as the way this organization does it."

But that comment -- valid in terms of both how GM Danny Ainge has built these Celtics and in terms of what restricted free agency means -- followed another remark in which Smart stated that he believes he's worth more than $12 million to $14 million per season due to how he impacts games.

"To be honest, I'm worth more than $12 to $14 million," Smart told ESPN. "Just for the things I do on the court that don't show up on the stat sheet. You don't find guys like that. I always leave everything on the court, every game. Tell me how many other players can say that."on how he impacts games in ways that go beyond the box score.''

His point is a good one. But Smart is not a quality shooter, is tied to the Celtics in the sense that they can match any offer, and may be hitting restricted free agency at a time when role players -- even high-quality ones -- aren't getting that sort of payday.

Meanwhile, Smart has another concern: The native of Flower Mound, Texas, performed in the playoffs with a heavy heart, the result of his mother, Camellia, having been diagnosed with cancer. She's here in Texas. Surely there is a part of Smart -- who in the playoffs wrote "Mama's Boy" on his shoes to honor her -- who might see advantages in playing for his hometown team.

There is also a part of Smart who could see this summer's market, sign a Qualifying Offer to stay in Boston for another year (at $6.1 million) and hit free agency in the summer of 2019. But if he's open to a departure? I doubt that Dallas views "$14 million'' as its "right price.'' But our calculations say the Mavs can work a "Nuclear Winter'' trade elsewhere (say, for Washington's Bradley Beal) and still have $10 million left to spend elsewhere. And again, the machinations involved in Thursday's NBA Draft can greatly impact Dallas' money and Dallas' thinking. (See David Lord's exclusive look at "June Room'' and "winning the draft'' here.) In whatever form this week and the rest of this month take, Smart wouldn't be at the top of the priority list. But it fits, according to the cap now and according to Dallas' thinking going forward.

6_8410938.jpg

(Photo: Getty)
This seems like a dreamy concept, but it's worth dreaming about: Dennis Smith Jr., Beal and Smart as a three-guard rotation?

"I got a lot to think about,'' said Smart, noting that while his "heart'' is with Boston, "there's definitely going to be some factors going into it."

In other words, a lot of balls to juggle. For him -- and at this moment, for the Mavs, too.