NYPD detective used fake names and addresses in crime reports to avoid doing any work — and he’s sti

MASTERBAKER

༺ S❤️PER❤️ ᗰOD ༻
Super Moderator
dolittle.jpg

EXCLUSIVE INVESTIGATION INTO NYPD DETECTIVE THOMAS RICE

NYPD detective used fake names and addresses in crime reports to avoid doing any work — and he’s still on the job

facebook
  • email
BYESHA RAY, CHELSIA ROSE MARCIUS AND GRAHAM RAYMAN
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
ON JANUARY 27, 2018

Romeo Hitlall emerged from his Queens home around 7 a.m. - only to find that someone had ransacked his black Acura parked in front of the house.

Someone had stolen his beloved $6,500 diamond bracelet, which was a gift from his wife, along with his credit cards, his wallet and $200 in cash, Hitlall said.

“Everything inside was all messed up,” the real estate agent recalled about the crime on May 14, 2012 in Ozone Park. “I felt really terrible. I felt violated, worried. I had to get new credit cards, a new license. I lost the bracelet that my wife gave me for my birthday.”

Hitlall dropped his daughter off at school and then filed a grand larceny report at the 106th Precinct stationhouse.

The thief used Hitlall’s credit card at a Lefferts Blvd. deli right away - a detail he provided to police. But as time passed, the investigation never seemed to go anywhere, he said.

“I called them several times asking if they found anything,” the 41-year-old dad said. “The cops never got back to me.”

Unknown to him, there was a sinister reason. The case detective, Thomas Rice, had closed the “investigation,” and his lieutenant approved it just four days later.

It got worse.

Three of Thomas Rice's victims tell their stories

Hitlall wasn’t alone. Rice, 44, made up fake names and addresses to improperly close at least 21 other grand larceny and auto theft cases over a 12-month period in 2011 and 2012, while assigned to the 106th Precinct detective squad, an NYPD investigation found.

Grand larceny and auto theft are two of the so-called index crimes used by the NYPD to gauge serious crime in the city.

Rice closed all the cases as “investigative leads exhausted” within just a few days of the initial crimes. That fact alone should have been a red flag to his bosses, said a retired detective sergeant with no ties to the case.

“You are supposed to make several attempts to reach witnesses, and you can’t do that in two or three days. It’s physically impossible,” he said. “Leads are never totally exhausted. You can always canvas. You can always show photos of suspects in other crimes.”

Rice often used the same fake names and made-up addresses across multiple reports and cut-and-pasted the exact same statements, including typos, into reports.

He often closed the cases within only two or three days - while ignoring the victims who unknowingly waited and hoped for weeks or months that their property would be found or that someone would be arrested.

Four different supervisors in the 106th Precinct, including Rice’s lieutenant, signed off on his fraudulent reports, an internal investigation found.

Same names, many places
These names each appeared on multiple reports at addresses that were sometimes houses, sometimes vacant lots and sometimes not real addresses. Investigators determined that none of the names represented real people.

3080.png
3080.png
3081.png
3081.png

“ANWAR ALI”
Leaflet| ©OpenStreetMapcontributors, ©CartoDB
“ANWAR ALI”
“ANWAR ALI” appeared in five reports at five different addresses, two of which do not actually exist. These are the statements attributed to them.

12/26/2011:states that he is the homeowner and was inside sleeping and did not hear anything suspicious or see anything outside. he further stated that he does not have a video camera system.

01/09/2012:states that he is the landlord of the home and was inside sleeping and did not hear anything suspicious or see anything outside. he further stated that he does not have a video camera system.

01/15/2012:states that he is the landlord of the home and was inside sleeping and did not hear anything suspicious or see anything outside. he further stated that he does not have a video camera system.

04/18/2012:states that he is the landlord of the home and was inside sleeping and did not hear anything suspicious or see anything outside. he further stated that he does not have a video camera system.

05/21/2012:states that he is the landlord of the home and was inside sleeping and did not hear anything suspicious or see anything outside. he further stated that he does not have a video camera system.

“CARNE GRACE”
“CARNE GRACE” appeared in four reports at four different addresses, one of which does not actually exist. These are the statements attributed to them.

01/09/2012:states that he was inside sleeping and did not hear anything outside, no camera's at home

01/31/2012:states that he was inside sleeping and did not hear anything outside, no camera's at home

05/21/2012:states that he was inside sleeping and did not hear anything outside, no camera's at home

05/21/2012:states that he was inside sleeping and did not hear anything outside, no camera's at home

“MRS POLANCO”
“MRS POLANCO” appeared in six reports at six different addresses, one of which do not actually exist and one of which is a vacant lot. These are the statements attributed to them.

12/26/2011:states that she was inside sleeping and did not see or hear anything and does not have a video camera system.

01/09/2012:states that she was inside sleeping and did not see or hear anything and the camera outside her exterior window is a dummy camera and is not hooked up to a recording device.

01/15/2012:states that she was inside sleeping and did not see or hear anything. no exterior cameras

04/18/2012:states that she was inside sleeping and did not see or hear anything. no exterior cameras

05/21/2012:states that she was inside sleeping and did not see or hear anything and the camera outside her exterior window is a dummy camera and is not hooked up to a recording device.

05/21/2012:states that she was inside sleeping and did not see or hear anything. no exterior camera

“RAMINDER SUPAUL”
“RAMINDER SUPAUL” appeared in five reports at five different addresses, one of which does not actually exist. These are the statements attributed to them.

02/18/2012:states that she did not see or hear anything and does not have a camera syatem.

05/19/2012:states that she did not see or hear anything and does not have a camera syatem.

05/25/2012:states that she did not see or hear anything and does not have a camera syatem.

05/25/2012:states that she did not see or hear anything and does not have a camera syatem.

06/18/2012:states that she did not see or hear anything and does not have a camera syatem.

“RICHARD HARRIS”
“RICHARD HARRIS” appeared in six reports at six different addresses, one of which do not actually exist and one of which is a vacant lot. These are the statements attributed to them.

01/09/2012:states that he did not see or hear an ything. no exterior video camera

01/15/2012:states that he did not see or hear anything and does not have a video camera system.

01/31/0121:states that he did not see or hear anything and does not have a video camera

04/18/2012:states that he did not see or hear a nything and does not have a video camera system.

05/21/2012:states that he did not see or hear anything. no exterior video camera

05/21/2012:states that he did not see or hear an ything. no exterior video camera

“SONJNA RAMPERSAD”
“SONJNA RAMPERSAD” appeared in seven reports at seven different addresses, two of which do not actually exist. These are the statements attributed to them.

12/27/2011:states that she was not home and does not have a video camera system

01/04/2012:states that she was not home and does not have a video camera system

02/18/2012:states that she was not home and does not have a video camera system

05/19/2012:states that she was not home and does not have a video camera system

05/25/2012:states that she was not home and does not have a video camera system.

05/25/2012:states that she was not home and does not have a video camera system.

06/18/2012:sonjna rampersad states that she was not home and does not have a video camera system.

“SUIRENAE RAMPERSAD”
“SUIRENAE RAMPERSAD” appeared in three reports at three different addresses, one of which does not actually exist. These are the statements attributed to them.

02/18/2012:suirenae rampersad states that she was inside sleeping and did not see or hear anything, no camera system

05/25/2012:states that she was inside sleeping and did not see or hear anything, no camera system

06/18/2012:states that she was inside sleeping and did not see or hear anything, she further stated that he camera system is not currently working

It’s not clear if any of the supervisors were disciplined.

But even after he was caught, Rice got to keep his job and his rank. Since 2013, he has been a detective in the 67th Precinct, still handling law enforcement duties.

The 19-year veteran made $113,000 in 2017, including $2,829.27 in overtime, records show. On the side, he runs his own pressure washing company on Long Island with NYPD approval.

A broader investigation of his cases and an examination of the prevalence of the practice in other detective squads was blocked by top NYPD brass, sources told The News.

And the very existence of the case, the sources said, was buried deep in the department’s secretive disciplinary system - even though Rice could have faced criminal charges for official misconduct, falsifying reports and lying on official documents.

“If someone is going to go to the extent of fabricating names and addresses, they just don’t care about the people they are supposed to be serving,” said retired NYPD Chief of Patrol and former city Transportation Commissioner Wilbur Chapman.

Gurdeep Singhin January 2012, he entered the same statements from the same fake witnesses in both reports. He even duplicated the same typo - spelling “video” as “viedo.”

Sung, 52, of Lynbrook, L.I., said she called police on Jan. 8, 2012 after her son’s gray Honda Civic was stolen in South Ozone Park.

“We reported it,” she said.

chao-sung.jpg

Chao Sung, 52, was the victim of a robbery that she reported to the 106th Precinct in Queens when her Honda Civic was stolen in 2012.(JEFFERSON SIEGEL/NEW YORK DAILY NEWS)

The police took a report, but it was the family who found the car abandoned a few days later.

“I had full insurance so they took care of everything,” she said. “I didn’t have any issues at all. But they never found out who stole it.”

One reason might be that Rice - from his office - closed the case one day after the crime on Jan. 9.

DUPLICATED TYPOS
CASE NO. 2012 – 605
1. On April 18, 2012, at approximately 1800 hrs the undersigned along with Det.REDACTEDdid conduct a residential andviedo camerasurveillance survey of 135 Avenue and was met with the following results

CASE NO. 2012 – 851
1. On May 21, 2012, at approximately 1100 hrs the undersigned along with Det.REDACTEDdid conduct a residential andviedo camerasurveillance survey of Rosita Road and was met with the following results

CASE NO. 2012 – 16
1. On January 4, 2012, at approximately 1415 hrs the undersigned did conduct a residential andviedo camerasurveillance survey of 103 Road and was met with the following results

In his report, he claimed he interviewed four witnesses, at four different addresses, who had seen nothing and had no video. However, the witnesses and three of the addresses were fake, an internal investigation found.

The fourth was real, but the resident said “Mrs. Polanco,” the woman Rice claimed he interviewed, never lived there. And the real resident was never interviewed.

While he was falsifying witness names, Rice also failed to interview the actual residents of the real addresses he entered in his reports.

In one instance, Rice claimed to have interviewed a “Mary Helferick” following an October 2012 theft on Sutter Ave. Helferick was a phantom, and the real resident, Frank Kershaw, a retired city police officer, was never interviewed, an internal investigation found.

Similarly, following a May 2012 theft on 133rd Ave., Rice claimed to have interviewed “Richard Harris,” but the actual resident said no one with that name ever lived there.

In all, 40 actual people at the addresses Rice listed told investigators they were never interviewed by him, and didn’t recognize the names of people he claimed lived there.

In two cases, Rice had fake witnesses claim there was no security video at their homes, when the real occupants later told investigators they did in fact have video surveillance equipment.

One of those cases involved nursing assistant Sadhana Looknauth, 52, who walked to her gray 2006 BMW parked on 107th St. on the morning of Dec. 17, 2012 and found that someone had ripped the navigation system out of it and swiped her purse.

“Everything was open and the seats were pushed back,” she said. “They also took two credit cards, which I had to cancel. I had my medical insurance that was missing. They took a little purse that had all these things in it and maybe 20-something dollars.”

Upset, she called 911. Detectives took a report for grand larceny. That was the last she saw of them.

Just three days after the incident, Rice closed out the investigation. In his report, he claimed he couldn’t do anything else after three witnesses on 107th St. told him they saw nothing. In this case, he did use real addresses.

He claimed “Bhukan Rajpattie” said she did not see or hear anything. But such a person had never lived at that address, and the real occupant was never interviewed.

He claimed “Mary Helferick” also didn’t see anything or have an operable security camera. But the actual resident of her supposed home later told investigators there in fact was a working camera.

“The detectives never really followed up with me,” Looknauth said. “Because I didn’t lose that much, it didn’t bother me that much. If I had lost a lot of valuable things, then it would really bother me.”

Marcia Bishop was inside her mother-in-law’s home picking up her young daughter on Jan. 3, 2012, when someone broke into her car and snatched her purse.

“I came outside and all the windows were smashed in,” she told The News.

Rice was assigned the case a day later and closed it the same day from the office - once again, having “exhausted all investigative leads.”

In his report, he claimed he interviewed four people at four addresses - none of whom saw anything or had a video security system.

DIFFERENT ADDRESS, NO NAME, SAME PHRASE
CASE NO. 2012 – 37
135 Avenue - Refused to provide name - states that he was not home last night and was at work andgot home a little while ago

CASE NO. 2012 – 47
134 Street - Refused to provide name - states that he was not home last night and was at work andgot home a little while ago

CASE NO. 2012 – 151
90 Street - Refused to provide name - states that he was not home last night and was at work andgot home a little while ago

None of those addresses existed, and the witnesses - “Pat Janet,” “Mohammed Persaud,” and “Sonjna Rampersad” - were made up, an NYPD investigation found.

In January 2012, retired construction executive Gert Koerner, 77, noticed something was wrong with his company car right away. Hewas standing outside the temporary apartment his company gave him while he worked on projects at LaGuardia and Kennedy Airports, when he noticed something was wrong with his company car.

“I came and looked at it and thought, it looks strange,” the Pennsylvania man recalled. “I said to myself, ’Why is the car so low?’ And then I saw that the wheels were missing.”

Indeed, thieves had crept in overnight and snatched his tires and their four rims - a total value of approximately $4,000.

The theft didn’t cost Koerner anything; his company’s insurance paid.

“I accepted it and moved on,” he said.

Rice got the case on Jan. 27, and closed it just four days later. In the closing report he typed in his office, he entered four fake addresses of supposed witnesses.

He claimed a fifth fake witness, “Henry Wishton,” the landlord, was sleeping and had no video camera. But the woman who actually lived there said cops never spoke to her and she didn’t know anyone named Wishton.

“For me, a few thousand dollars wouldn’t make much difference,” Koerner said. “But if it had been someone else just scraping by, it would have been a different story.”

Five retired NYPD detectives contacted by The News reacted with disgust at what Rice was caught doing.

“It’s shocking,” one retired detective said. “It’s perjury. It’s a monstrously stupid thing to do.”

Said another, “Rice was just s--tcanning cases because he’s either lazy or doesn’t think he can solve the crimes.”

Molloy College criminologist John Eterno believes it had something to do with the NYPD’s Compstat crime-fighting initiative, which some say pressures commanders to show positive numbers.

“If you close out a certain number of cases, then you’ve done your job as far as the department is concerned,” Eterno said. “If the case is still open, they will harp on it: Why haven’t you done this or that? By closing, you at least get them off you back.”

Added a retired lieutenant: “Never underestimate incompetence.”

With additional reporting by Roshan Abraham

MASTERBAKER

༺ S❤️PER❤️ ᗰOD ༻
Super Moderator
nypd-detective-thomas-rice.jpg

NYPD DETECTIVE THOMAS RICE
NYPD cop closed his ‘investigations’ after interviewing almost no one
facebook
  • email
BYESHA RAY AND GRAHAM RAYMANIN NEW YORK
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
ON Jan. 27, 2018

Three of Thomas Rice's victims tell their stories.

Cops promised to follow up, but ‘nothing ever happened’
gurdeep-singh.jpg

Gurdeep Singh stepped out of his Queens home one morning in January 2012 focused on the workday ahead — but he never made it to his job as a truck mechanic, because his blue Subaru was gone.

Singh, 32, called the police and filed a report. He then found his car a few blocks away, but all of his work equipment had been stolen from the vehicle.

“The car had money and tools in it and we never recovered any of the tools or the money,” the Ozone Park man said. “It was about $5,700 worth of tools that was in the car. They took my credit cards, they charged gas and food on them.”

NYPD detective used fake names and addresses in crime reports to avoid doing any work — and he’s still on the job

Singh said he’s particularly annoyed that his credit card was used at the same business two days in a row — a clue that cops might have used to find the suspect.

“They ran a gas charge and then they ran a food charge — and this is like two days in a row at the same places,” he said. “They had to be in that neighborhood, right off of 188th and Hillside Ave.”

Singh said police never called him with any updates, forcing him to repeatedly call the detectives squad.

“I was the one actually harassing the precinct trying to get hold of the detective investigating the case,” he said. “I left like two messages. Three days later, he was on vacation and then weeks later there was nothing to be found. At that point I was like, forget it.”

Singh did his own investigation on his stolen credit cards, and even found possible security video of someone using his card at a McDonald’s on Hillside Ave.

“When I told that to the precinct, they said, ‘Yeah, we’ll follow up,’” he said. “Nothing ever happened.”

Behind the scenes, Detective Thomas Rice had been assigned the case on Jan. 11, one day after the theft. Sitting in his office, he closed the investigation four days later on Jan. 15.

Rice claimed he interviewed four witnesses including “Anwar Ali,” “Richard Harris” and “Mrs. Polanco” — all fake names he had used in other cases.

He copied the exact same witness summary statement for each from other reports. He even reproduced the same typos from other reports. Two of the addresses he lifted were fake, an NYPD investigation found. His supervisor signed off.

Thieves almost made off with woman’s bridal shower gifts
shivani-collado.jpg

Shivani Collado, 31, had just had her bridal shower on May 21, 2012, when her soon-to-be husband told her that someone had broken into her silver Mercedes-Benz overnight.

“I was like, are you serious?” she recalled. “They smashed my windows and stole my navigation system. They ripped out the whole thing. And it was raining that day, so the whole car got wet.”

He entered the same exact text for all four: “states that she did not see or hear anything and does not have a camera system,” according to a copy of the report obtained by the Daily News.

All four of the addresses were fake, according to an NYPD investigation.

Collado was annoyed at how Rice handled the case.

“I think it’s wrong if they did make up stuff,” she said. “I don’t see why they would cover it up, though. Do they know who did it and that’s why they’re covering it up, or do they just not want to look into it?”

Cops didn’t help so crime victim found his stolen car by himself
Jaswinder Singh, 45, recalled leaving for work on Dec. 26, 2011 and finding his Nissan missing. He called 911 and filed a report the following day with 106th Precinct cops after having to convince them to come to his home on 127th St. He even showed them security video of the thieves stealing the car.

With his car gone, he couldn’t make it to work and lost three days of pay. He had to start borrowing a car from a friend.

In the meantime, he figured the police were investigating, even though he wasn’t hearing from any of the detectives. He would call the precinct but no one got back to him, he said.

“No detectives came,” he said. “They gave me a hard time. They didn’t really want to do anything to help me.”

What he didn’t know is that Detective Thomas Rice had closed the case just two days after he got the case on Dec. 29, claiming he “exhausted all investigative leads,” and his supervisor signed off on it, records show.

Rice claimed in his report that he interviewed four people — “Jermer Persuad,” “Nardine Albert,” “Sonjna Rampersad” and “Ann Marie Ramdeo” — but none of them saw anything.

Those names were all fake, and so were the addresses, an NYPD investigation showed.

“I don’t know how they could do that,” Singh said. “How could they put fake names and make up a story? Of course I’m angry.”

After spending his spare time looking for his car for weeks, Singh found it himself. It had been abandoned in a lot.

“I had to find it myself,” he said. “I lost a lot of days because I didn’t have a car.”