NY Giants Already Preparing For Eagles to Use Vick in 'Wildcat Offense'

keysersoze

Star
Registered
donovan_mcnabb_84245573.jpg

Giants Already Preparing For 'Wildcat' Vick
Assuming Eagles Signed Embattled QB to Help With Gimicky Offense, Big Blue's Defense Sees Plenty Of It In Practice

ALBANY (AP) ―

As the New York Giants scout team broke the huddle late in the morning practice, rookie halfback Andre Brown lined up in the shotgun formation and backup quarterback David Carr spread out to the right as a receiver.

It was the Wildcat offense. How coincidental.

A little more than 12 hours after disgraced quarterback Michael Vick signed with rival Philadelphia, possibly to play a role in the Eagles' version of the Wildcat, the Giants' defense was working against the NFL's trendiest gimmick offense.

Unrelated events, coach Tom Coughlin insisted, noting that his workout at the University at Albany had been planned for months because the Giants knew some opponent would was going to employ the Wildcat against them at some point this season.

Coughlin is probably right. The Giants play the Eagles at least twice a year, three times last season including the playoffs.

"We play Philadelphia relatively middle and late, so hopefully we'll have a chance to see what their plan is by then and be prepared for it," Coughlin said.

While they weren't thrilled to have Vick on a rival team in the NFC East, Giants players were happy to see Vick get a second chance after serving 18 months in federal prison for his part in running a dogfighting ring.

Defensive end Osi Umenyiora, who said he knows Vick, felt that Vick might have even "overpaid his debt to society."

"As far as Philadelphia is concerned, it's hard for me to say this, but I'm proud of their franchise," Umenyiora said. "That was a big step they took. ... So as much as I hate to say this, because I have been bred to hate their franchise, I am happy for him, they did a good thing."

Fellow defensive end Justin Tuck was a little surprised because the Eagles had not been mentioned in the Vick speculation.

"Hats off to the Eagles, they did something that they felt would make them a better football team," Tuck said, noting that the signing helps Philadelphia counter some of the Giants offseason moves that gave them one of the top defensive lines in the league.

"If I had a Wildcat offense, as soon as he became available I would have been chomping at the bit," Tuck said of Vick. "Think about it, you ask a running back to run the ball and have an option to throw it. Why not get a quarterback who is just as good as any running back is in this league and still can throw it? I think he is that ultimate guy that every Wildcat offense should have."

The Eagles ran the offense against the Giants last season with receiver DeSean Jackson and they scored on the play, defensive backs coach Dave Merritt recalled. That was one of the reasons the Giants started working on ways of defending it.

It will be tougher with Vick in the equation.

"When he was in Atlanta, they explored a little bit of the run and shoot, they (were) pulling up the running back," Merritt said. "Now, he's hungry, his ability to come back after being off and wanting to show everybody what he can do in this division. He is the ultimate Wildcat quarterback."

One thing that wasn't surprising about the Giants' version of the Wildcat on Friday was that Eli Manning wasn't running it for the scout team.

"They didn't ask me," Manning deadpanned. "I don't know why. I was a little insulted they didn't want me back there."

The Giants may not want to see Vick back there, either.

thalunatic

Support BGOL
Registered
:lol: they preparin for some shit they never saw.. there's SEVERAL different ways to line up in a Wildcat.. i say jus wait till they use it first, then prepare for that

keysersoze

Star
Registered
Cause they scared :lol:

Whatever man, we don't play the Eagles until week 8.

By then, we'll have learned however Vick will be used.

Giants are really pissed off at the Eagles from fucking up their post season last year. Your offensive line is gonna catch a beating from our defensive line.

UltimateLurker

Star
OG Investor
Whatever man, we don't play the Eagles until week 8.

By then, we'll have learned however Vick will be used.

Giants are really pissed off at the Eagles from fucking up their post season last year. Your offensive line is gonna catch a beating from our defensive line.

:rolleyes: