No Black Models???

Lick

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
------ National Black News Journal Feature----

Black Models Said to be Disappearing from Major Fashion Shows

(Taylor Media Services) According to a series of recent reports by various publications, the number of Black models participating in major fashion shows in the United States and Europe is rapidly declining. For example, Women’s Wear Daily reported last week that of the 101 shows and presentations posted on www.Style.com , during the New York runway session, one third had no Black models at all and the remainder used only one of two.

Meanwhile, according to a New York Times report, there were virtually no Black models present when the fashion show caravan moved recently to the influential shows in London, Paris and Milan. The Times said it appeared that the Europeans had posted signs reading “No Blacks Need Apply.” Former model and now model agency head Bethann Hardison is quoted as saying, “It’s the worst it’s ever been.”

The current situation contrasts sharply with the 1970s and early 1980s when Black models from the U.S. and Africa were common on most fashion runways. The most frequently employed Black model today is 17-year-old Chanel Iman Robinson who is of mixed race parentage: African American and Korean

Follow-up links:

The New York Times
Ignoring Diversity, Runways Fade to White
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/14/fashion/shows/14race.html?_r=1&pagewanted=print&oref=slogin
:cool:

HoneyBerry

Potential Star
BGOL Investor
I know. It wouldn't matter much, except that our children read the magazines (Vibe, etc.) and all those ads use fair skinned or nonblack models to promote the clothing that kids buy. And not just white brands do it. Sean John and Rocawear are just as guilty. It sends a crazy subliminal message to both boys and girls

Lick

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I know. It wouldn't matter much, except that our children read the magazines (Vibe, etc.) and all those ads use fair skinned or nonblack models to promote the clothing that kids buy. And not just white brands do it. Sean John and Rocawear are just as guilty. It sends a crazy subliminal message to both boys and girls

Yes! I use to buy a lot from Victoria Secret all of the time and here now that Tyra Banks is no longer a model they use, you barely see anyone with my skin tone and when you do she got on the worst shit they have and she has NO ass!
:cool: