Nick Cannon Dropped by ViacomCBS After Making Anti-Semitic Comments

Entrepronegro

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

ViacomCBS is ending its long-running relationship with Nick Cannonafter he made anti-Semitic comments on his podcast.

In the June 30 episode of “Cannon’s Class,” the actor and TV host interviewed Professor Griff, a rapper who was a part of Public Enemy before leaving the group after making anti-Semitic remarks.

On the podcast, Cannon said Black people are the “true Hebrews” and talked about anti-Semitic conspiracy theories involving the Rothschild family.

“It’s never hate speech, you can’t be anti-Semitic when we are the Semitic people,” Cannon said. “When we are the same people who they want to be. That’s our birthright. We are the true Hebrews.”

A ViacomCBS spokesperson released a statement to Variety, saying that the company’s relationship with Cannon is now terminated.

“ViacomCBS condemns bigotry of any kind and we categorically denounce all forms of anti-Semitism. We have spoken with Nick Cannon about an episode of his podcast ‘Cannon’s Class’ on YouTube, which promoted hateful speech and spread anti-Semitic conspiracy theories. While we support ongoing education and dialogue in the fight against bigotry, we are deeply troubled that Nick has failed to acknowledge or apologize for perpetuating anti-Semitism, and we are terminating our relationship with him. We are committed to doing better in our response to incidents of anti-Semitism, racism, and bigotry. ViacomCBS will have further announcements on our efforts to combat hate of all kinds,” the company said.

Cannon has had a relationship with Viacom since he was an actor on Nickelodeon in the ’90s. He’s also hosted the sketch comedy show “Wild ‘n Out,” which aired on MTV and VH1 since 2005. More recently, he’s been known as the host of “The Masked Singer” on Fox and hosted “America’s Got Talent” on NBC from 2009-2016. He’s also launching a syndicated daytime talk show in September with Debmar-Mercury.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Nick Cannon Dropped by ViacomCBS After Making Anti-Semitic Comments

By Jordan Moreau

ViacomCBS is ending its long-running relationship with Nick Cannon after he made anti-Semitic comments on his podcast.
In the June 30 episode of “Cannon’s Class,” the actor and TV host interviewed Professor Griff, a rapper who was a part of Public Enemy before leaving the group after making anti-Semitic remarks.
On the podcast, Cannon said Black people are the “true Hebrews” and talked about anti-Semitic conspiracy theories involving the Rothschild family.
“It’s never hate speech, you can’t be anti-Semitic when we are the Semitic people,” Cannon said. “When we are the same people who they want to be. That’s our birthright. We are the true Hebrews.”
A ViacomCBS spokesperson released a statement to Variety, saying that the company’s relationship with Cannon is now terminated.

“ViacomCBS condemns bigotry of any kind and we categorically denounce all forms of anti-Semitism. We have spoken with Nick Cannon about an episode of his podcast ‘Cannon’s Class’ on YouTube, which promoted hateful speech and spread anti-Semitic conspiracy theories. While we support ongoing education and dialogue in the fight against bigotry, we are deeply troubled that Nick has failed to acknowledge or apologize for perpetuating anti-Semitism, and we are terminating our relationship with him. We are committed to doing better in our response to incidents of anti-Semitism, racism, and bigotry. ViacomCBS will have further announcements on our efforts to combat hate of all kinds,” the company said.

On Monday, Cannon said on Twitter and Facebook that he has “no hate in my heart nor malice intentions” and doesn’t condone hate speech. He also said that he holds himself “accountable for this moment” and takes full responsibility for his actions.

Cannon has had a relationship with Viacom since he was an actor on Nickelodeon in the ’90s. He’s also hosted the sketch comedy show “Wild ‘n Out,” which aired on MTV and VH1 since 2005. More recently, he’s been known as the host of “The Masked Singer” on Fox and hosted “America’s Got Talent” on NBC from 2009-2016. He’s also launching a syndicated daytime talk show in September with Debmar-Mercury.

Drayonis

Thedogyears.com
BGOL Investor
I'm trying to figure out how calling yourself "the real hebrews" as most Hebrew Israelites believe is some how antisemitic? Delusional yes, antisemitic no.

Dude completely ruined his bag. NBC will be dropping him next.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
I'm trying to figure out how calling yourself "the real hebrews" as most Hebrew Israelites believe is some how antisemitic? Delusional yes, antisemitic no.

Dude completely ruined his bag. NBC will be dropping him next.

Again

I feel like first Nick BEEN on this

I have heard original man from 5 percenter and Black Israelites and to some extent the Nation

I don;t want to cal it delusional.

I will say if someone is OFFENDED?

They need to tell me EXACTLY why.

Now the Rothschild stuff apparently after DeSean and Ice Cube and Steepen Jackson is ESPECIALLY a sensitive subject

and from the limited research I did?

it is NOT true

but I would need a world economist to confirm.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

07-13-20
Nick Cannon speaks out on his controversial interview: ‘I want to be corrected’

‘Fast Company’ spoke with Cannon shortly after he released his statement concerning a recently surfaced interview with former Public Enemy member Professor Griff, which featured comments deemed anti-Semitic.

Nick Cannon speaks out on his controversial interview: ‘I want to be corrected’

[Photo: Jason Koerner/Getty Images]
BY KC IFEANYI3 MINUTE READ

Nick Cannon drew sharp criticism over the weekend for a recently surfaced video that contains anti-Semitic theories and rhetoric.

On an episode of his videotaped podcast Cannon’s Class, Cannon was in discussion with former Public Enemy member Richard “Professor Griff” Griffin, who was kicked out of the rap group in 1989 for making anti-Semitic comments during an interview with the Washington Post where he was quoted as saying Jews were responsible “for the majority of wickedness that goes on across the globe.”

The controversy diminished the debut of the latest series in Cannon’s growing TV empire, E!’s Celebrity Call Center, part of his burgeoning media empire.

Although Griffin says that his viewpoints weren’t rooted in hate, he asserts that the Semitic people and language have nothing to do with white people, therefore calling a Black person anti-Semitic is a fallacy. Cannon called Black people the “true Hebrews,” and he also praised Nation of Islam leader Louis Farrakhan, who has been labeled by both the Anti-Defamation League and the Southern Poverty Law Center as anti-Semitic and anti-gay. Cannon claims that “every time I’ve heard him speak, it’s positive, it’s powerful, it’s uplifting,” and yet Farrakhan has been “demonized.”

Shortly after releasing his initial statement amid the backlash on Monday, Cannon spoke with Fast Company.

“There’s no malice or negative intent, but in a time like 2020 we got to have these conversations,” he says. “And if there’s an assumption that is perceived as ignorant, let’s debunk it right away.”

Cannon says that a few rabbis have reached out since the controversy kicked up and that he plans to have them on his podcast.

“My podcast is specifically an academic podcast to have tough and difficult conversations based off of text. And if we read something and something’s not accurate, let’s do away with it,” Cannon says. “I can’t wait to sit down with some people that can help educate me and help further this conversation. I want to be corrected.”

In reference to condemning hateful rhetoric but praising a figure such as Farrakhan, Cannon likens the dichotomy to his relationship with his televangelist father, who passed away in 2016.

“I love my father unconditionally. There are some things that he raised me with that are powerful and that I hold to. And there are some things where I’m like, I don’t agree with none of that,” Cannon says. “I can’t be responsible for however long Minister Farrakhan has been ministering and things that he said. That is his voice and his fight. I can only be held accountable for what I’ve seen and what I’ve heard.”

“I just want to focus on the positive aspects,” Cannon continues. “But I condemn any hate speech. I don’t care who said it. I don’t care if my dad said it. I don’t care if Farrakhan said it. If anyone is saying something hateful or demonic, I don’t support that at all.”

In addition to the backlash from his initial interview, Cannon also faced some criticism for his statement that some people have called a non-apology.

“To me apologies are empty. Are you forcing me to say the words ‘I’m sorry’? Are you making me bow down, ’cause then again, that would be perpetuating that same rhetoric that we’re trying to get away from,” Cannon says. “What we need is healing. What we need is discussion. Correct me. I don’t tell my children to say, ‘I’m sorry.’ I want them to understand where they need to be corrected. And then that’s how we grow.”

“You can say sorry in as many different languages as you want to, and it means nothing,” Cannon continues. “But until someone truly understands where they may have been wrong or where they may have offended someone, then that’s where growth occurs.”

cashwhisperer

My favorite key is E♭
BGOL Investor
He has enough money to buy 2 cameras, a lighting set, a RHINO system and some mics.

It's the perfect time to continue the show independently.

Let's see what he's gonna do.

giphy.gif

94dd1d7995f729d8e7109528edf7392c20044705.jpg

Pworld297

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
If Jewish people said they were offended by what he said which they thought was anti-semitic then who am I to say it isn't. I hate when white folks try to tell us what's racist and what's not, I can't stand that shit. I don't know why dudes keep saying shit about Jews, it never ends well.

Last edited:

Entrepronegro

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
If Jewish people said they were offended by what he said which they thought was anti-semitic then I who am I to say it isn't. I hate when white folks try to tell us what racist in what's not, I can't stand that shit. I don't know why dudes keep saying shit about Jews, it never ends well.
Exactly, my mom is Jewish and when she feels offended by negative talk about Jews that's her opinion. Nick shouldn't have spoke about the Jews he should have kept that to himself especially since he worked for them.