New Trailer: Napoleon (Apple+) starring Joaquin Phoenix UPDATE: No 4 hour cut

Duece

Get your shit together
BGOL Investor
I did not realize this.

He did a modern version of the story of Moses and it was lily-white and (with respect to our atheist members) very biblically inaccurate. He also had the Sphinx remade with Eurocentric facial features.

He didn't even use Arabs, keep in mind a mini-series about King Tut featured a multicultural Ancient Egypt with Arabs, whites and Black Egyptians. Scott's version of Ancient Egypt might as well be an episode of The Crown set in the desert.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
He did a modern version of the story of Moses and it was lily-white and (with respect to our atheist members) very biblically inaccurate. He also had the Sphinx remade with Eurocentric facial features.

He didn't even use Arabs, keep in mind a mini-series about King Tut featured a multicultural Ancient Egypt with Arabs, whites and Black Egyptians. Scott's version of Ancient Egypt might as well be an episode of The Crown set in the desert.

I completely forgot that!

You are correct.

Duece

Get your shit together
BGOL Investor
Also, I am curious as to they'll handle the Haitian Revolution because I'm getting the sense that some internet historians are trying to dismiss or minimize the Haitian Revolution. That Revolution was a major victory and an amazing feat of determination and was consequential for multiple nations. Hell, as a resident of New Orleans, if that revolution doesn't happen, me and Playahatian might be typing to each other in Haitian Kreyol and Kouri Vini.

Last edited:

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Also, I am curious as to they'll handle the Haitian Revolution because I'm getting the sense that some internet historians are trying to dismiss or minimize the Haitian Revolution. That Revolution was a major victory and an amazing feat of determination and was consequential for multiple nations. Hell, as a resident of New Orleans, if that revolution doesn't happen, me and Playahatian might be typing touch each other in Haitian Kreyol and Kouri Vini.

Bro...

Your last post made me start a damn group text.

I REALLY hope and pray Scott is not that stupid as to try to downplay or ignore the Haitian Revolution in all this.

I don't think Apple is that oblivious.

Especially since Haiti was supposedly represented in that last Will Smith movie.

We need to watch this closely.

Last edited:

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
My decision to destroy the authority of the Blacks in Saint Domingue is not so much based on considerations of commerce and money,” Napoleon wrote, “as on the need to block forever the forward march of Blacks in the world.” In 1801, Napoleon sent an army of 50,000 to Haiti to restore French rule.Oct 1, 2019

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Duece

Get your shit together
BGOL Investor
There's a youtube channel that I typically love to watch called "Alternate History Hub" and while Cody Franklin is a conservative, I generally respect the effort he puts into his content but his video about "What if the Haitian Revolution Failed" was rather dismissive.

While his points about most of the Louisiana Territory being mostly empty grassland and the United States probably only wanting to buy New Orleans and Manifest Destiny eventually causing the US to expand west is true but his points about an Alternate Saint-Dominque being "less poor" than real life Haiti seemed rather short-sighted. I'm pretty sure that if Saint-Domingue was an overseas department like Martinique but with more wealth, it would be essentially the Monaco of the Caribbean, hell the French called it "The Jewel of the Antilles" and the island in its current state extremely valuable. He also didn't take into account whether or not the Directory would have abolished or maintained slavery in the French Caribbean and French Louisiana had Napoleon not overthrown them.

He seemingly breezed through the event and framed is being less consequential than it actually was, when even an unpapered historian can point out multiple threads on this incident had going backwards and forwards in time.

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member

The trailer showed a quick clip of him at the Sphinx.

So far it looks like the film will tap into how much of an asshole he was. I doubt the film will go into detail cuz of time, it looks to be more of his rise to power.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
There's a youtube channel that I typically love to watch called "Alternate History Hub" and while Cody Franklin is a conservative, I generally respect the effort he puts into his content but his video about "What if the Haitian Revolution Failed" was rather dismissive.

While his points about most of the Louisiana Territory being mostly empty grassland and the United States probably only wanting to buy New Orleans and Manifest Destiny eventually causing the US to expand west is true but his points about an Alternate Saint-Dominque being "less poor" than real life Haiti seemed rather short-sighted. I'm pretty sure that if Saint-Domingue was an overseas department like Martinique but with more wealth, it would be essentially the Monaco of the Caribbean, hell the French called it "The Jewel of the Antilles" and the island in its current state extremely valuable. He also didn't take into account whether or not the Directory would have abolished or maintained slavery in the French Caribbean and French Louisiana had Napoleon not overthrown them.

He seemingly breezed through the event and framed is being less consequential than it actually was, when even an unpapered historian can point out multiple threads on this incident had going backwards and forwards in time.

Oh well f*ck him.

Can you believe in 2023 we STILL don't have the definitive Haitian Revolution movie???!!!

Especially after a few years ago studios were throwing money at any black property post george Floyd protests?

Duece

Get your shit together
BGOL Investor
Oh well f*ck him.

Can you believe in 2023 we STILL don't have the definitive Haitian Revolution movie???!@@

We need one, I know there was a French Language one done years ago that I wanted to get my hands on with Jimmy Jean-Louis as Toussaint Louverture but in the age of streaming services where we can get movies made about the creator of Tetris (which was good) we get something much more important and impactful such as a movie or limited series about the Haitian Revolution.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
We need one, I know there was a French Language one done years ago that I wanted to get my hands on with Jimmy Jean-Louis as Toussaint Louverture but in the age of streaming services where we can get movies made about the creator of Tetris (which was good) we get something much more important and impactful such as a movie or limited series about the Haitian Revolution.

^^^^

Kaboom

It's a no brainer. Award winner.

Now unfortunately I can't think of who I want to direct it.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
@Duece

Spike Lee dream and he swears is his only remaining dream project is a Haiti movie.

You think if the opportunity presented itself... is he the right person for the job?

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
Thomas-Alexandre Dumas
General in Napoleon’s Army

France's first black general once fought a cavalry squadron by himself — and emerged unscathed​

Dumas, who was also the father of the famed author, Alexandre Dumas, was the only four-star general of an all-white army before Colin Powell.
5aa730853be59f18008b47f8

General Thomas-Alexandre Dumas.