• Good idea

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • Bad idea

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters

HUNTSVEGAZ

Hip-Hop father
BGOL Investor
Netflix Apparently Wants to Buy Its Own Theaters, and That's Honestly a Good Idea
zx3lwuicn4y1gmwwu7ym.jpg

Netflix Apparently Wants to Buy Its Own Theaters, and That's Honestly a Good Idea

Adam Clark Estes

Yesterday 3:02pm
Filed to:NETFLIx

https://gizmodo.com/netflix-apparently-wants-to-buy-its-own-theaters-and-h-1825389898/amp

Netflix wants to get into the movie theater business, according to a new report from The Los Angeles Times. Anonymous sources told the paper that the Los Gatos-based entertainment giant pursued a deal to buy the Mark Cuban-owned Landmark Theaters but ultimately backed out due to a high sale price. While it might sound wild that a company that got its start sending DVDs by mail now wants to sell popcorn and movie tickets, the idea actually makes a lot of sense.

Look at it this way: Last year, Netflix spent over $8 billion producing its own content—movies and TV shows that can only be watched on Netflix—but the fact that there are no theater runs for the feature films disqualifies Netflix from winning major awards like an Oscar. This is a big deal for Netflix, which said it would release 80 movies in 2018 alone, not only because Oscars are prestigious but also because prestige wins new customers. No awards might also discourage talented people from signing up for a Netflix flick, since they could be winning awards with other projects.

We want our films to be on fair ground with every other filmmaker,” Netflix chief content officer Ted Sarandos recently told Variety. “There’s a risk in us going in this way and having our films and filmmakers treated disrespectfully at the festival.”

That’s only part of the equation, though. Netflix is also leaving a lot of money on the table, when its films can’t be shown in theaters. The theater lockout isn’t just because Netflix is Netflix, either. Sarandos and his Netflix buds won’t budge on their idea that movies should be released on streaming services the same day they’re released in theaters. Theaters won’t agree to this, thus no Netflix movies in theaters. If Netflix owned its own theaters, however, the company could do a big theatrical release for those who love the big screen and a streaming release for lazy people who love convenience.

But wait, there’s more. Owning and operating movie theaters also means you can sell concessions—in some states, that includes food and alcohol—to movie-goers. Netflix could also woo its subscribers into the seats by offering discounts on tickets and food. That would also become an incentive for more people to pay for Netflix subscriptions.
Colin-Powell.jpg

Last edited:

dtownsfinest

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
This isn't a good idea unless its to accommodate those with monthly subscriptions. If this is to attract casual viewers...I don't get the point of it. Netflix business model is that we are gonna bring you content to your home on Friday's. Their business model contradicts having theaters.

dtownsfinest

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Doesnt seem to be a wise investment. Why make attempts to appease academy award and their archaic systems/criteria when you can continue on your current path while discrediting them and make them bend to your new formatting.
Yeah I don't get why they are trying to accommodate their outdated format when they should be making them accommodate to Netflix and the new wave. This don't even sound like Netflix honestly.

ShadyPat

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
why!!!! now the average chick will want to go out and make you spend 30 bucks plus drinks and pop corn..when you can just netflix and chill..order a medium pizza and call it a fucking day. :D:D:D

Tom Slick

The Black HHH
BGOL Investor
This isn't a good idea unless its to accommodate those with monthly subscriptions. If this is to attract casual viewers...I don't get the point of it. Netflix business model is that we are gonna bring you content to your home on Friday's. Their business model contradicts having theaters.
"No awards might also discourage talented people from signing up for a Netflix flick, since they could be winning awards with other projects."
This is the part right here. Bigger stars. Bigger directors. Better content.

dtownsfinest

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
"No awards might also discourage talented people from signing up for a Netflix flick, since they could be winning awards with other projects."
This is the part right here. Bigger stars. Bigger directors. Better content.
I think that's straight up speculation though. The biggest stars and directors have done Netflix movies or series. Just last year they dropped a film with Chadwick Boseman and another one with the brotha from Star Wars. Also dropped Bright with Will Smith. I don't se the lacking of stars on Netflix.

Tom Slick

The Black HHH
BGOL Investor
I think that's straight up speculation though. The biggest stars and directors have done Netflix movies or series. Just last year they dropped a film with Chadwick Boseman and another one with the brotha from Star Wars. Also dropped Bright with Will Smith. I don't se the lacking of stars on Netflix.
So far. But obviously this part of their growth/domination plan. They want Oscars.

mexico

Rising Star
Registered
Looks they really got their feelings hurt getting frozen out of Canne this year.

This ain’t really a money move for them if it goes down (although I’m sure they’ll frame it that way for investors). This is a straight fuck you to the establishment.

They’ve already shaken the television industry to its core. Having a day and day release on a large scale which Hollywood has so far kept at bay could alter the landscape permanently.