Netflix': OUTSIDE THE WIRE Official Trailer (2021) Anthony Mackie, Damson Idris

Mello Mello

Ballz of Adamantium
BGOL Investor
Reply below contains spoilers

Another thing I was confused about, when Harp cuts that supposed tracker out of his back Leo revealed it wasn’t really a tracker it was a fail-safe in case he went rogue because there was a paradox command inside.

But when Harp makes it back to his base commanders and they ask him where Leo is he tells them he cut out his tracker and they have to find him by a stolen car. lol

This movie was convoluted. lol

SamSneed

Disciple of Zod
BGOL Investor
My nigga got the worst Chrysler ever made in the best shape after a drone strike on a nuclear power plant with a fully fueled ballistic missile inside

im dyin

Last edited:

dawilleyone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
It was decent. I really didn't get Anthony Mackie's character's motivation for going rogue. I wish they had done some exposition earlier in the movie the explain the rules robotic soldiers were supposed to follow so you understand the internal conflict a bit easier. Instead they tried to do in the middle of the action which just made it hard to understand.

D24OHA

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I liked it.....

Its no Extraction in terms of fight scenes / shoot outs

Or 6 Underground in terms of explosions and action scenes.... its kind of in the middle... maybe more on the Old Guard side in terms of recent Netflix Action movies....

I could've used maybe 5-10 more minutes on LEO as a machine, (Prime Directives, How his emotions / advanced programming lead him to his decision and limitations. ) towards the beginning and middle of the movie.

That part about command paradox and how he was able to override the programming because of Harp was so rushed and jammed into the middle of some good action.

Otherwise solid effort.... I'd say 6, maybe 7 out of 10

SamSneed

Disciple of Zod
BGOL Investor
So y’all jus gonna be all quiet bout this huh

LhcL_kXznwEWgvf4_msbcNMxd_K-Rcv-ltOZAShg-seerOebEdqwiSh2niUyo0pM7w2wwNi1dWqREIFS5wAGyo14B087QGWhLChe7DS9JxHCSfjWgngUS1bdDp0oydivuuNkGg

The Plutonian

The Anti Bullshitter
BGOL Investor
This review may contain spoilers

This was basically like a Sci-fi version of Training Day. A good action flick, great cinematography, good gunplay, solid movie pacing and solid plot twist Anthony Mackie did his thing on this one.

Some criticism about the story. I will say from the beginning something was off about this movie, the way the lead character relates and spoke to other characters was odd, almost like he was forgetting lines of dialogue. It was hard to read him emotionally and his emotional timing was out of sync just didn’t flow the way it was supposed to with the rest of the characters. I guess he was supposed to be some cold arrogant drone pilot. For that Damson Idris missed the mark for me with his acting and Anthony Mackie carried the acting in this one for me.

Also I get that Harps reassignment was supposed to be some form of disciplinary action but I never felt that way the whole movie. Former drone pilot behind the 8-ball but your assigning me to Captain Leo this elite fighting machine for the Marines, I guess ok. Yeah I know he was “chose” but still... It didn’t feel like he lost any privilege.

Captain Leo kept mentioning that Harp was chose because he thinks outside the box like there was a deeper meaning to why he was selected because he chose to sacrifice two men to save 38 others. Like somehow that made him more special than any others. Idk so I guess he was supposed to be sympathetic to Captain Leo’s ideology because of that one instance. I guess that was supposed to be the arch for his character development that and him saving a few people but I never really felt his characters redemption even by the end.

I get it, the trope of trying to paint the bad guys ideology as the correct one but I think they dropped the ball in execution. After his ideology was revealed and the truth came out it’s like nothing even mattered after that because Leo is bad and has to be taken out even if he is correct. So the US just continues advancing the war and killing innocents for years to come was somehow a better ending than what Captain Leo was gonna do, because it’s America and America is always right even if it’s wrong. We just get left with empty promises of, “Not if we do it my way” and “People will learn to change.” Like that was supposed to really ease our concern that one day US will stop war mongering in other countries. lol Yeah Captain Leo was being used but he wasn’t the only robot they got plenty more.

Even the development of Captain Leo’s motivations were suspect, for him to be a rogue cyborg that is much smarter and faster and stronger his plan wasn’t any different than typical bad guys, just blow up one side of the world that’ll solve everything. How original. Like that’s all you could think of with your cyborg thoughts.

I’ve typed too much already. Enough of my criticisms. I just hold any genre to high standards even action movies it ain’t just about the killing and blowing shit up to me. I mean shit I’m giving you an hour + of my time it better be somewhat good.

The movie is a good sci-fi action flick, and worth a watch and it’s always dope to see Black male leads head the movie to the end. I appreciate that for real. Hope to see more like it.

Having served and saw some things similar I'll have to say depending on the overall leadership this man would be a hero, or be court martialed. I'm still watching so I'll come back. TBC

Edit. Ok. This went totally left. So many moments of “wow, really to utter disbelief” such as no intel brief (talking confidential and secret info out in the open?) to the whole idea of putting a pilot into a ground combat scenario. Really? If it did he’d never take the field or go outside the wire. It would never happen. Period, unless shot down. Contact the SERE school and ask how the pilots cry and resign their commissions in training :rolleyes2: . They not built for that life. Anyway, no true handler for Mackey and no other support for the kid? He had to figure it out then the Col sends him back into the field and not the Sgt? Or a true ground warrior? The scene where they were mounted and went dismounted, stayed on the X ( killzone) in a built up area? Right there in the streets? Why not go into the buildings and clear them? Nah, this was an ok flick but the stuff they did in it would never happen. Lastly, in a nuclear recovery or stopping a nuke there is no waiting. If Ms Daisy was there it wouldn’t matter, she’s dead. We’d shell the fuck outta the place to keep a detonation from going nuclear. The conventional would explode but no nuke yield. We did tons of recapture and recovery exercises. They’d almost always end up with massive civilians dead to stop that nuke and lots of friendlies killed. 6 outta 10

Last edited:

joneblaze

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
PRAISE: Im not even going to beat around the bush i had a lot of fun watching this movie.The story that takes place in the near future,of a drone pilot sent into a war zone finds himself paired up with a top-secret android officer on a mission to stop a nuclear attack was pretty good.
The pairing of Anthony Mackie and Damson Idris really worked for me.Idris as Lt. Thomas Harp, a drone pilot who isnt ready for the perilous and beyond dangerous mission hits all the right beats.
Mackie is definitely channeling Alonzo Harris from 2001's Training Day and having a great time doing it with his salty talk and scolding manner.
The action sequences were good and intense. I would say about 75% of the story worked for me.

PROBLEMS: There was a hollow feel to some parts of the story.Suspension of disbelief was asked of me several times.Another Netflix villain that doesnt measure up.
The last 20 minutes was very predictable.

It's not going to win any awards but it's a fun action romp.

Scale of 1-10 a 7½

militantmidget

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Reply below contains spoilers

Another thing I was confused about, when Harp cuts that supposed tracker out of his back Leo revealed it wasn’t really a tracker it was a fail-safe in case he went rogue because there was a paradox command inside.

But when Harp makes it back to his base commanders and they ask him where Leo is he tells them he cut out his tracker and they have to find him by a stolen car. lol

This movie was convoluted. lol

I think it was both. He just didn't tell Harp it was also a fail safe.

D24OHA

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I think it was both. He just didn't tell Harp it was also a fail safe.

That part...

The command paradox was built into LEO'S internal programming, not the fail safe.

That's how he was able to get Harp to take it out. LEO lied (by omission) about what it was/ its full purpose and since Harp didn't question it/ him, LEO was able to continue doing his own plan.

If the officer in the field is exhibiting poor mental health LEO is able to override (Harp's) commands and do..... (whatever he wants?) Or whatever seems rational.....

From my understanding the failsafe kept the humans in control and over rode the command paradox.

AND it was a tracker

O.J PIMPSON

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
What's missing is CyberLonzos motivation is they didn't explain his backstory. How long has he been doing this? Maybe they planned a prequel. A lot could be done with it. Cool flick.

Deezz

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
It was OK. The action was pretty good.

The one thing that drove me crazy was the drone pilot dude and the constant shots of him freezing up or just those long dramatic pauses where they zoom in on his face. They wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy over did that shit. When they started that shit, I just kept skipping forward.

That was the fatal flaw of this movie. That shit must have added 15 minutes of pure bullshit to the running time:smh:

Deezz

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Anthony Mackie was fucking people up
SPOILER ALERT!!!! (Kind of)

When that one female soldier got shot towards the end of the movie by Leo, I was like Damnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!! You normally don't see chicks get shot in movies like that.

The Plutonian

The Anti Bullshitter
BGOL Investor
I wanted LEO to launch the nukes, I like movies where the "villain" achieves his objective

IKR like some Sum of All Fears type shit then have the people mutate and become flesh eating zombies. After the time line splits. And restarts.