Netflix: Journey Of An African Colony

KingTaharqa

Greatest Of All Time
BGOL Investor
They initiate it. Mcguyver just did so here. I tried to keep the initial conversation about the documentary, but he brings in ancillary bullshit. What is his point in asking me about thecoli?

The internet is the only place they feel comfortable dissing Black America and telling us how they really feel about us.

mcguyver

Rising Star
OG Investor
Must you niggas ruin every thread with this stupid ados shit. Nobody cares.

These retards only troll this board because HNIC lets them.

I honestly didn't watch documentaries but Netflix has been putting up a ton of black content, when I ran out of movies to watch I started the documentaries and I'm kicking myself for putting them low on the totem pole.

KingTaharqa

Greatest Of All Time
BGOL Investor
These retards only troll this board because HNIC lets them.

You are correct. He doesnt support reparations and wants open borders for West Indians to the US at the expense of Black Americans. He lets yall run wild up here smearing 30 million Blacks in the States, daily.

We cant even celebrate MLKs birthday up here, the tension towards Black Americans is too thick. But next week when an obscure reggae artist dies the whole board will be hollaring Caribbean pride and bigging up the islands. When we allow you in our spaces we are respectful, we have morals and home training unlike you immigrants.

mcguyver

Rising Star
OG Investor

The first 2 links are nothing like the divisive bullshit ya'll troll the board with. The first link is actually about illegal aliens. The second link was trying to get people to join ados, only about 5 people responded positively, again none of that divisive trolling shit. the third link was a gospel music thread. 4th and 5th link asked to sign in. So again why don't you troll with that shit over there?

mcguyver

Rising Star
OG Investor

Ok.
I was asking because the trailer is all over the place to me.​

Hey I look at it this way. If I can watch the avengers movies 3-4 times and countless other white driven media, I can make an effort to support the black content. I've recommended a few African made movies and other black documentaries. I finished the one about Lee Morgan "I called Him Morgan", I didn't even know who he was. "Who Killed Malcolm X" was really good too.

VAiz4hustlaz

Proud ADOS and not afraid to step to da mic!
BGOL Investor
The first 2 links are nothing like the divisive bullshit ya'll troll the board with. The first link is actually about illegal aliens. The second link was trying to get people to join ados, only about 5 people responded positively, again none of that divisive trolling shit. the third link was a gospel music thread. 4th and 5th link asked to sign in. So again why don't you troll with that shit over there?

You wanted ADOS threads on thecoli and you got some. Some parts of their forum are restricted like the Basement here.

And we don’t troll but we will respond. How many times have I gotten tagged by you or Hotlantan in posts that have nothing to do with ADOS (like the Vernon Jones thread or lightbright’s titty thread), or any post of mine (like the Biden stimulus post from yesterday) gets swarmed by you, Hotlantan, veritech, Hey Julian, Walter Panov, and others with slurs and irrelevant bullshit.

You have even turned THIS thread, your own thread, which should be about this Nigeria documentary, into some anti-ADOS bullshit!

So check yourself!

KingTaharqa

Greatest Of All Time
BGOL Investor
You wanted ADOS threads on thecoli and you got some. Some parts of their forum are restricted like the Basement here.

And we don’t troll but we will respond. How many times have I gotten tagged by you or Hotlantan in posts that have nothing to do with ADOS (like the Vernon Jones thread or lightbright’s titty thread), or any post of mine (like the Biden stimulus post from yesterday) gets swarmed by you, Hotlantan, veritech, Hey Julian, Walter Panov, and others with slurs and irrelevant bullshit.

You have even turned THIS thread, your own thread, which should be about this Nigeria documentary, into some anti-ADOS bullshit!

So check yourself!

At the height of white nationalism and terror in 2020 and 2021, never forget "black immigrants" still having more smoke for ADOS. If the race war pops we gotta fight the CACs and the anti-ADOS, they not gonna side with us.

We are supposed to die quietly so immigrants from the UK and Caribbean can replace us and have greater access to White Americans, whom they worship. This is why they call us "divisive" if we defend ourselves and always ignore Caribbean and African migrant bigotry towards us.

mcguyver

Rising Star
OG Investor

So check yourself!

FOH and I tagged you once and you flood the board with troll type threads and posts. You didn't watch the docuseries but posted it was propaganda aka your trolling tactics. You have nothing positive to contribute to the black race or black cultures. Your cult us a spawn and mirror of Trump and his followers.

Again your ados trolling is reserved to this board because @HNIC allows it.

God Dammit

Shaddyvillescrub’s Idol
BGOL Investor
Hey I look at it this way. If I can watch the avengers movies 3-4 times and countless other white driven media, I can make an effort to support the black content. I've recommended a few African made movies and other black documentaries. I finished the one about Lee Morgan "I called Him Morgan", I didn't even know who he was. "Who Killed Malcolm X" was really good too.

I support Black films, if they’re good the same way I support white films, if they’re good.
Avengers is a well made movie.
I’m not a movie buff and only watch movies if they’re good. Nothing worse than wasting 2hours that you can’t get back.
All of the Hidden Figures were good and Tariq is minksliding with some of my money from me purchasing all 4 and future purchase of part 5​

VAiz4hustlaz

BGOL Investor
FOH and I tagged you once and you flood the board with troll type threads and posts. You didn't watch the docuseries but posted it was propaganda aka your trolling tactics. You have nothing positive to contribute to the black race or black cultures. Your cult us a spawn and mirror of Trump and his followers.

Again your ados trolling is reserved to this board because @HNIC allows it.

Gotta run and get the principal now?!? :lol:

Please quote or link any "troll type threads and posts" I've made. I know you won't because you can't. I don't have any.

I tried to initiate a conversation about this documentary and YOU have chosen to derail your own thread with silly bullshit, like talking about thecoli. Ironically, this documentary confirms much of what ADOS has been discussing when it comes to Nigeria and the slave trade.

VAiz4hustlaz

BGOL Investor
A Nigerian Finds Hard Truths — And Hope — In Netflix Series On Nigeria

IFEANYI NSOFOR

The street where I grew up in Kano, northwest Nigeria, is called Independence Road. Each day, it reminded me of Nigeria's independence and sovereignty from Great Britain on Oct. 1, 1960.

This year, as the country marks its 60th anniversary, celebrations will be muted due to COVID-19-related restrictions. But as many Nigerians stay home to celebrate, I hope they will watch the Netflix documentary series Journey of an African Colony, The Making of Nigeria, produced and narrated by Olasupo Shasore, the former attorney general and commissioner for justice in Lagos State and a historian and writer. The series, which has its world premiere on Thursday on the streaming service, traces Nigeria's history of slave trade and colonial occupation — and then independence.

As a Nigerian living in Nigeria, I found the documentary a powerful reminder that to truly celebrate this country's independence, we must take stock of where we came from.

The series begins with clips of Great Britain handing over the reins of power to Nigeria on Sept. 30, 1960. I was happy that it opened with interviews with two women who witnessed Nigeria's first Independence Day celebrations. This is a departure from the usual focus on men for such interviews.

Both women described the joy and pride they felt witnessing such a momentous occasion at the Independence Day ceremony at Race Course (now called Tafawa Balewa Square) in Lagos on Sept. 30, 1960. "I can still remember I was watching that flag. It was the British flag I was watching coming down, coming down, and the Nigerian flag, going up, going up," said Francesca Emmanuel, a former federal permanent secretary, in the documentary. "When the Nigerian flag got to the top, the whole of the racecourse lit up and then they shouted — and then the fireworks! It was a memorable early morning." As a Nigerian, I could relate to these feelings.

Shasore — whose books, A Platter of Gold: Making Nigeria and Possessed: A History Of Law & Justice In The Crown Colony Of Lagos 1861-1906, form the basis of the documentary — then takes viewers through the history of slavery. He says that "the transatlantic slave trade is the greatest human dispersal in history." He argues that Nigeria's role in slavery has not been properly acknowledged by historians. For example, slave merchants transported more than 4 million slaves from Nigeria to the west.

This documentary reminds me of my visit to Ghana in 2005 as part of my international fellowship with the Ford Foundation. A cohort of fellows from Ghana, Nigeria and Senegal visited the famous Elmina Castle to learn about the slave trade. Built by the Portuguese in the late 1400s, it became an important stop on the route of the Atlantic slave trade. We saw the "door of no return" gate. Once a slave passed through, there was no going back but onward, in shackles, to foreign lands.

Shasore reminds viewers that the slave trade run by European countries would not have been successful without participation of locals — an idea that started becoming prominent among Nigerians a few years ago. I myself was not aware of this until Nigerian writer Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani wrote about it in The New Yorker in 2018. In the piece, she told of her great-grandfather's role as a slave trader: "Long before Europeans arrived, Igbos enslaved other Igbos as punishment for crimes, for the payment of debts, and as prisoners of war. The practice differed from slavery in the Americas: slaves were permitted to move freely in their communities and to own property, but they were also sometimes sacrificed in religious ceremonies or buried alive with their masters to serve them in the next life," she wrote.

Sometimes I wish I could speak to my great-grandparents to hear their stories about the slave trade. Maybe they were enslaved. Maybe other family members of friends were enslaved. Sadly, they died decades before I was born. However, both my uncle Victor Nsofor and Obidinma Onyemelukwe, a professor and a member of my hometown Nanka's leadership council in southeast Nigeria, confirmed to me that there was a slave market in one of our villages. Indeed, the slave trade was closer than I knew. The next time I go to my village, I will visit and explore the site of Eke Ntai slave market in Amako village. According to scholars, local slavery in southeast Nigeria continued until the 1950s.

A recurring message in the documentary is the forceful removal of Black Africans from their communities to become slaves. Consequently, they lost connections to their roots. However, within the past two decades, DNA testing has helped Africans in the diaspora trace their roots back. For example, the late actor Chadwick Boseman was part Yoruba (Nigerian) and Limba (Sierra Leonian), pastor T.D. Jakes and actor Forrest Whitaker both have Igbo ancestries, and CNN journalist Don Lemon is part Nigerian, Ghanaian and Congolese.

After the slave trade ended came colonial occupation. At the Berlin Conference of 1884, European nations carved up the continent and shared the different nations among themselves. I believe it was all about human trafficking, which was sanctioned by the state, clergy and businesses. Great Britain's share were the nations that now make up present-day Nigeria.

The British colonialists ended up stitching together a country made of diverse cultures. Nigeria has more than 250 ethnicities and above 500 languages! These nations within Nigeria have been battling to live in peace with each other since Nigeria's independence. Some ethnic groups have called for secession. Between 1967 and 1970, Nigeria fought a brutal civil war, which led to deaths of at least 1 million Igbos. My only maternal uncle fought in the war and never returned. Although the Biafra-Nigeria civil war ended 50 years ago, the push for nation-building continues among all ethnic groups.

I am Igbo from the southeast part of Nigeria. I grew up in Kano state in northwest Nigeria, my wife is from Edo state, in southern Nigeria and my mother-in-law is from Lagos state in southwest Nigeria. Therefore, my two daughters have Igbo, Edo and Yoruba ancestries. My nuclear family is a microcosm of Nigeria, spanning formerly different nations. To me, Nigeria should not fail. It would be like my family failing.

I want Nigerians to live in peace. However, impacts of slave trade and colonialism continue to threaten our cohesion. Although on paper Nigeria is independent, it is not fully so given its overt dependence on foreign donors to fund social services despite the country's ability to pay for much of the services itself. For instance, Nigeria's total annual health expenditure is $10 billion. While $7.7 billion is spent by Nigerians as they pay for health services, the government and nonprofit organizations in Nigeria focus more on maintaining the $1.1 billion of total international donor support. Nigeria should instead put effort into finding creative ways to fund its health system by looking inward and rechanneling available resources.

Shasore's documentary made me realize that all the nations that make up Nigeria went through the trauma of slavery and colonialism. We need to constantly remind ourselves of our shared painful history so we can all heal together as a united Nigeria.

Dr. Ifeanyi Nsofor is the director of policy and advocacy at a health group called Nigeria Health Watch and Senior New Voices Fellow at the Aspen Institute.

mcguyver

Rising Star
OG Investor
A Nigerian Finds Hard Truths — And Hope — In Netflix Series On Nigeria

IFEANYI NSOFOR

The street where I grew up in Kano, northwest Nigeria, is called Independence Road. Each day, it reminded me of Nigeria's independence and sovereignty from Great Britain on Oct. 1, 1960.

This year, as the country marks its 60th anniversary, celebrations will be muted due to COVID-19-related restrictions. But as many Nigerians stay home to celebrate, I hope they will watch the Netflix documentary series Journey of an African Colony, The Making of Nigeria, produced and narrated by Olasupo Shasore, the former attorney general and commissioner for justice in Lagos State and a historian and writer. The series, which has its world premiere on Thursday on the streaming service, traces Nigeria's history of slave trade and colonial occupation — and then independence.

As a Nigerian living in Nigeria, I found the documentary a powerful reminder that to truly celebrate this country's independence, we must take stock of where we came from.

The series begins with clips of Great Britain handing over the reins of power to Nigeria on Sept. 30, 1960. I was happy that it opened with interviews with two women who witnessed Nigeria's first Independence Day celebrations. This is a departure from the usual focus on men for such interviews.

Both women described the joy and pride they felt witnessing such a momentous occasion at the Independence Day ceremony at Race Course (now called Tafawa Balewa Square) in Lagos on Sept. 30, 1960. "I can still remember I was watching that flag. It was the British flag I was watching coming down, coming down, and the Nigerian flag, going up, going up," said Francesca Emmanuel, a former federal permanent secretary, in the documentary. "When the Nigerian flag got to the top, the whole of the racecourse lit up and then they shouted — and then the fireworks! It was a memorable early morning." As a Nigerian, I could relate to these feelings.

Shasore — whose books, A Platter of Gold: Making Nigeria and Possessed: A History Of Law & Justice In The Crown Colony Of Lagos 1861-1906, form the basis of the documentary — then takes viewers through the history of slavery. He says that "the transatlantic slave trade is the greatest human dispersal in history." He argues that Nigeria's role in slavery has not been properly acknowledged by historians. For example, slave merchants transported more than 4 million slaves from Nigeria to the west.

This documentary reminds me of my visit to Ghana in 2005 as part of my international fellowship with the Ford Foundation. A cohort of fellows from Ghana, Nigeria and Senegal visited the famous Elmina Castle to learn about the slave trade. Built by the Portuguese in the late 1400s, it became an important stop on the route of the Atlantic slave trade. We saw the "door of no return" gate. Once a slave passed through, there was no going back but onward, in shackles, to foreign lands.

Shasore reminds viewers that the slave trade run by European countries would not have been successful without participation of locals — an idea that started becoming prominent among Nigerians a few years ago. I myself was not aware of this until Nigerian writer Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani wrote about it in The New Yorker in 2018. In the piece, she told of her great-grandfather's role as a slave trader: "Long before Europeans arrived, Igbos enslaved other Igbos as punishment for crimes, for the payment of debts, and as prisoners of war. The practice differed from slavery in the Americas: slaves were permitted to move freely in their communities and to own property, but they were also sometimes sacrificed in religious ceremonies or buried alive with their masters to serve them in the next life," she wrote.

Sometimes I wish I could speak to my great-grandparents to hear their stories about the slave trade. Maybe they were enslaved. Maybe other family members of friends were enslaved. Sadly, they died decades before I was born. However, both my uncle Victor Nsofor and Obidinma Onyemelukwe, a professor and a member of my hometown Nanka's leadership council in southeast Nigeria, confirmed to me that there was a slave market in one of our villages. Indeed, the slave trade was closer than I knew. The next time I go to my village, I will visit and explore the site of Eke Ntai slave market in Amako village. According to scholars, local slavery in southeast Nigeria continued until the 1950s.

A recurring message in the documentary is the forceful removal of Black Africans from their communities to become slaves. Consequently, they lost connections to their roots. However, within the past two decades, DNA testing has helped Africans in the diaspora trace their roots back. For example, the late actor Chadwick Boseman was part Yoruba (Nigerian) and Limba (Sierra Leonian), pastor T.D. Jakes and actor Forrest Whitaker both have Igbo ancestries, and CNN journalist Don Lemon is part Nigerian, Ghanaian and Congolese.

After the slave trade ended came colonial occupation. At the Berlin Conference of 1884, European nations carved up the continent and shared the different nations among themselves. I believe it was all about human trafficking, which was sanctioned by the state, clergy and businesses. Great Britain's share were the nations that now make up present-day Nigeria.

The British colonialists ended up stitching together a country made of diverse cultures. Nigeria has more than 250 ethnicities and above 500 languages! These nations within Nigeria have been battling to live in peace with each other since Nigeria's independence. Some ethnic groups have called for secession. Between 1967 and 1970, Nigeria fought a brutal civil war, which led to deaths of at least 1 million Igbos. My only maternal uncle fought in the war and never returned. Although the Biafra-Nigeria civil war ended 50 years ago, the push for nation-building continues among all ethnic groups.

I am Igbo from the southeast part of Nigeria. I grew up in Kano state in northwest Nigeria, my wife is from Edo state, in southern Nigeria and my mother-in-law is from Lagos state in southwest Nigeria. Therefore, my two daughters have Igbo, Edo and Yoruba ancestries. My nuclear family is a microcosm of Nigeria, spanning formerly different nations. To me, Nigeria should not fail. It would be like my family failing.

I want Nigerians to live in peace. However, impacts of slave trade and colonialism continue to threaten our cohesion. Although on paper Nigeria is independent, it is not fully so given its overt dependence on foreign donors to fund social services despite the country's ability to pay for much of the services itself. For instance, Nigeria's total annual health expenditure is $10 billion. While $7.7 billion is spent by Nigerians as they pay for health services, the government and nonprofit organizations in Nigeria focus more on maintaining the $1.1 billion of total international donor support. Nigeria should instead put effort into finding creative ways to fund its health system by looking inward and rechanneling available resources.

Shasore's documentary made me realize that all the nations that make up Nigeria went through the trauma of slavery and colonialism. We need to constantly remind ourselves of our shared painful history so we can all heal together as a united Nigeria.

Dr. Ifeanyi Nsofor is the director of policy and advocacy at a health group called Nigeria Health Watch and Senior New Voices Fellow at the Aspen Institute.

So where is the propaganda? What you posted ia the author adding to the documentary. You parade facts in an effort to disparage and attack other black cultures, you use the same tatics white people use. Who said our ancestors hands were clean? If you fuks were around back then it's clear you would be the ones selling your people. A perfect example is you pointing fingers and black folk accusing them of supporting white supremacy then posting a Becky that you pretend to be interested in. You shit on anyone black. You shit on black politicians and stay mute about the whites. You shit on the only black president and stay mute about the other 44. You and your crew are frauds. If you brought your bullshit off the internet you would be stomped out daily.

You highlighted what you think you could twist and use to support your bullshit. Why didn't you highlight this?

"Shasore's documentary made me realize that all the nations that make up Nigeria went through the trauma of slavery and colonialism. We need to constantly remind ourselves of our shared painful history so we can all heal together as a united Nigeria."

VAiz4hustlaz

BGOL Investor
So where is the propaganda? What you posted ia the author adding to the documentary. You parade facts in an effort to disparage and attack other black cultures, you use the same tatics white people use. Who said our ancestors hands were clean? If you fuks were around back then it's clear you would be the ones selling your people. A perfect example is you pointing fingers and black folk accusing them of supporting white supremacy then posting a Becky that you pretend to be interested in. You shit on anyone black. You shit on black politicians and stay mute about the whites. You shit on the only black president and stay mute about the other 44. You and your crew are frauds. If you brought your bullshit off the internet you would be stomped out daily.

You highlighted what you think you could twist and use to support your bullshit. Why didn't you highlight this?

"Shasore's documentary made me realize that all the nations that make up Nigeria went through the trauma of slavery and colonialism. We need to constantly remind ourselves of our shared painful history so we can all heal together as a united Nigeria."

No, I posted a review from one Nigerian's perspective that highlights some critical issues that are generally overlooked. I have yet to review the documentary and tell you why I regard it as propaganda, since you evidently want to talk about any and everything in this thread except the documentary itself.

You're still mad that a posted I girl with a phat ass on BGOL which is a big part of what BGOL is about. Posting bad bitches. Was she not a bad bitch? Or are you just not interested in women at all?!?!

One of the main politicians I am critical of, and have been critical of, is Joe Biden. Is he not white? Did being Obama's VP make him an honorary brother? Yet, any critical assessment of him and his policies gets met with hate and vitriol from you and your online goons as well.

I have been challenging you hoes for over a year to step to the mic and debate me on any of this shit, so miss me with the talk about bringing the bullshit off the internet. You and your online goons are afraid to step in a Clubhouse session or a Zoom meeting to talk your shit. Just mousepad mobsters and keyboard killers. You'd never step to me in real life with your bullshit.

And your last quote speaks for itself. The author said the "nations that make up Nigeria." So he acknowledges that different cultures and groups of people inhabit the country, and that they're not united. And he doesn't say anything about Africa at all. Because there are hundreds if not thousands of different people who speak over 1500 different languages on that continent. This is not ONE group of people! Never has been. Only ADOS are expected to regard all black folks as one group while negating our own history and identity.

You never had a problem asserting your West Indian and Bajan identity on the board until you became an anti-ADOS shill. Now you don't want to acknowledge it at all.

Miss me with the bullshit.

mcguyver

Rising Star
OG Investor
No, I posted a review from one Nigerian's perspective that highlights some critical issues that are generally overlooked. I have yet to review the documentary and tell you why I regard it as propaganda, since you evidently want to talk about any and everything in this thread except the documentary itself.

You're still mad that a posted I girl with a phat ass on BGOL which is a big part of what BGOL is about. Posting bad bitches. Was she not a bad bitch? Or are you just not interested in women at all?!?!

One of the main politicians I am critical of, and have been critical of, is Joe Biden. Is he not white? Did being Obama's VP make him an honorary brother? Yet, any critical assessment of him and his policies gets met with hate and vitriol from you and your online goons as well.

I have been challenging you hoes for over a year to step to the mic and debate me on any of this shit, so miss me with the talk about bringing the bullshit off the internet. You and your online goons are afraid to step in a Clubhouse session or a Zoom meeting to talk your shit. Just mousepad mobsters and keyboard killers. You'd never step to me in real life with your bullshit.

And your last quote speaks for itself. The author said the "nations that make up Nigeria." So he acknowledges that different cultures and groups of people inhabit the country, and that they're not united. And he doesn't say anything about Africa at all. Because there are hundreds if not thousands of different people who speak over 1500 different languages on that continent. This is not ONE group of people! Never has been. Only ADOS are expected to regard all black folks as one group while negating our own history and identity.

You never had a problem asserting your West Indian and Bajan identity on the board until you became an anti-ADOS shill. Now you don't want to acknowledge it at all.

Miss me with the bullshit.

denzel-washington-training-day-boom-reaction-Denzel-1384336932f.gif

You haven't watched the docuseries yet you posted it was propaganda. You are a fucking troll. When God Dammit asked questions about it I responded. You are a liar and a troll. You saw it was about a black culture and you responded right away with negativity, then when called on it you trying to play the victim roll. Typical ADOS agent behavior, you are a fucking clown, this is my last response to you.

Thanks for keeping the thread on the front page. :yes:

VAiz4hustlaz

BGOL Investor
denzel-washington-training-day-boom-reaction-Denzel-1384336932f.gif

You haven't watched the docuseries yet you posted it was propaganda. You are a fucking troll. When God Dammit asked questions about it I responded. You are a liar and a troll. You saw it was about a black culture and you responded right away with negativity, then when called on it you trying to play the victim roll. Typical ADOS agent behavior, you are a fucking clown, this is my last response to you.

Thanks for keeping the thread on the front page. :yes:

I have yet to WRITE my review of the doc, since you’re avoiding that conversation. Would you like an episode-by-episode review to point out the propaganda in each?