Neocons wondered who was going to put the uppity Negro obama in check!!!!

Fatsack

Potential Star
Registered
Some say Hillary will chin check him....

Some say John McCain will put him in his place..

But no!!!! Turns out that the so-called black leadership has a problem. Go figure. :smh: :smh: :hmm: :angry:

Obama's charm lost on America's black activists
Tony Allen-Mills, New York

HE is a media darling, a paparazzi target and a source of inspiration for millions of Democrats who dream of retaking the White House in 2008. But Senator Barack Obama, the charismatic African-American who is shaking up the presidential primary race, has not impressed some of America’s most powerful black activists.
Civil rights leaders who have dominated black politics for much of the past two decades have pointedly failed to embrace the 45-year-old Illinois senator who is considering a bid to become America’s first black president.

At a meeting of activists in New York last week, the Rev Jesse Jackson, the first black candidate to run for president, declined to endorse Obama. “Our focus right now is not on who’s running, because there are a number of allies running,” Jackson said.

The Rev Al Sharpton, the fiery New York preacher who joined the Democratic primary race in 2004, said he was considering another presidential run of his own. And Harry Belafonte, the calypso singer who became an influential civil rights activist, said America needed to be “careful” about Obama: “We don’t know what he’s truly about.”

The unexpected coolness between the old civil rights guard and the new Democratic hopeful has added an intriguing twist to the budding rivalry between Obama and Senator Hillary Clinton, who hopes to emulate her husband, former president Bill Clinton, in attracting support from black voters.

The importance of the black vote — and the still-potent influence of community leaders such as Jackson and Sharpton — was underlined last week when both Clinton and Obama appeared at different times in New York at a black business conference organised by Jackson’s Rainbow/Push Coalition.

Clinton was applauded at a breakfast meeting for her attacks on President George W Bush’s economic policies of “tax breaks for the rich”. She added: “It is not rich Americans who have made this country great. It is hard-working Americans who have worked hard to lift themselves and their children up.”

Delayed by bad weather, Obama turned up in the evening to pay respectful homage to Jackson’s presidential bids in the 1980s. “I owe him a great debt,” Obama said. “I would not be here had it not been for 1984 . . . for 1988. If I’m on the cover of Ebony (an African-American magazine), it’s not because of me. It’s because a whole bunch of folks did the work to put me there.”

Yet Obama’s charm and eloquence have not wooed the old guard.

“They are basically jealous,” said a Democratic strategist who has not yet decided which candidate he intends to support. “They’ve been toiling in the trenches for decades, and along comes this son of a Kenyan farmer and suddenly he’s measuring the drapes in the Oval Office.”

Sharpton, 52, is widely considered to have no better chance of winning the Democratic nomination than in 2004, when he never amassed more than a few percentage points in the polls but still made a national impact with his barnstorming performances in the televised primary debates.

When asked about Obama’s likely candidacy, the preacher, renowned for outrageous self-publicising antics, shrugged: “Right now we’re hearing a lot of media razzle-dazzle. I’m not hearing a lot of meat, or a lot of content. I think when the meat hits the fire, we’ll find out if it’s just fat, or if there’s some real meat there.”

Belafonte, who returns to British cinema screens shortly with a small role in Bobby, the new Emilio Estevez film about the assassination of Robert F Kennedy, also cast doubt on Obama’s credentials as a legitimate candidate.

“He’s a young man in many ways to be admired,” Belafonte said. “Obviously very bright, speaks very well, cuts a handsome figure. But all of that is just the king’s clothes. Who’s the king?” There were contrasting views on the likely impact on Obama’s campaign of black competition or criticism. One analyst argued that a Sharpton candidacy would “put Obama on the spot” by forcing him to address awkward civil rights issues such as police brutality and racial profiling that he tends to steer clear of. One Democratic blogger argued that Sharpton was “just what the doctor ordered to keep Obama on the straight and narrow”.

Others suggested that Sharpton would help Clinton by dividing black primary voters. In one interview last week, Sharpton warned that Obama could not take the black vote for granted. A strategist pointed out, however, that Obama could emerge as a “model of reason, compared to that blowhard Al (Sharpton

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
Interesting article, but I think it needs to be read very carefully. If one does, you might find that the conclusions reached by the author weren't well supported by the remarks he cited to form his opinions.

[1] Look at the conclusions in the opening paragraph:
HE is a media darling, a paparazzi target and a source of inspiration for millions of Democrats who dream of retaking the White House in 2008. But Senator Barack Obama, the charismatic African-American who is shaking up the presidential primary race, has <u>not impressed some</u> of America’s most powerful black activists. Civil rights leaders who have dominated black politics for much of the past two decades have pointedly failed to embrace the 45-year-old Illinois senator who is considering a bid to become America’s first black president.

What is the evidence cited to support those conclusions?
the Rev Jesse Jackson, the first black candidate to run for president, declined to endorse Obama. “Our focus right now is not on who’s running, because there are a number of allies running,” Jackson said.
Does this statement really show that Jesse Jackson is failing to embrace Obama? Does it show that Jesse is not impressed with Obama?

Barak Obama has not declared himself a candidate. Yet. I don't think that most of those with "endorsement power" endorse those who are not candidates.

Rev Al Sharpton, the fiery New York preacher who joined the Democratic primary race in 2004, said he was considering another presidential run of his own.

And Harry Belafonte, the calypso singer who became an influential civil rights activist, said America needed to be “careful” about Obama: “We don’t know what he’s truly about.”

“He’s a young man in many ways to be admired,” Belafonte said. “Obviously very bright, speaks very well, cuts a handsome figure. But all of that is just the king’s clothes. Who’s the king?”
First, I don't know what question the reporter asked to get the above responses, but lets just assume he asked whether they endorse Obama.

If you were contemplating your own race, though the same may be ill-advised, why would you be endorsing someone else? - especially someone who himself has not actually declared his nomination?

As for Belafonte's comments: Most people know that Belafonte is a bit left of center - and typically aligns himself with and stays true to those ideals. Obama, thus far, appears more a centrist (some might even say a very moderate conservative). If you're asking Harry Belafonte to endorse Obama, would it be unusual for someone like Belafonte to see where Obama is coming from on "his issues" before he jumped on the band wagon? The truth is, a lot of Obama's views have yet laid out. But I think you have to strain what Belafonte said to reach the conclusion that he has "pointedly failed to endorse" Obama. Thats just not what the quote says. A "Pointed" remark is one with particular "emphasis". Does it appear that Belafonte emphasized that he would not endorse Obama? Maybe its just me, but I didn't read that into it -- I took it as he said it, he wants to know more about Obama.

I like what I've seen from Obama so far, but I certainly want to know a lot more. Anything wrong with that ???​

[2]Now, look at the following paragraphs. The author leads the readers to believe there old guard civil rights leaders are treating Hillary better than Obama:
The unexpected coolness between the old civil rights guard and the new Democratic hopeful has added an intriguing twist to the budding rivalry between Obama and Senator Hillary Clinton, who hopes to emulate her husband, former president Bill Clinton, in attracting support from black voters.
Now, what does he support that opinion with ???
The importance of the black vote — and the still-potent influence of community leaders such as Jackson and Sharpton — was underlined last week when both Clinton and Obama appeared at different times in New York at a black business conference organised by Jackson’s Rainbow/Push Coalition.

Clinton was applauded at a breakfast meeting for her attacks on President George W Bush’s economic policies of “tax breaks for the rich”. She added: “It is not rich Americans who have made this country great. It is hard-working Americans who have worked hard to lift themselves and their children up.”

Delayed by bad weather, Obama turned up in the evening to pay respectful homage to Jackson’s presidential bids in the 1980s. “I owe him a great debt,” Obama said. “I would not be here had it not been for 1984 . . . for 1988. If I’m on the cover of Ebony (an African-American magazine), it’s not because of me. It’s because a whole bunch of folks did the work to put me there.”
Can someone please show me how, from the 3 paragraphs above, where the author gives us the unequal or disparate treatment ??? I submit that he said it (and if you don't read carefully you might adopt that opinion) BUT, the author didn't give us Jack Shitt to prove, show or demonstrate it. Not Shit.​

[3] Now the next series of paragraphs are ridiculous.
Yet Obama’s charm and eloquence have not wooed the old guard.
Charm and eloquence? No question Obama has and its a damn good attribute to have, but are we supposed to be impressed by charm and eloquence or substance ??? Charm, not much eloquence, but a lot of smoke and mirrors is what has gotten us were we are today: in a war we shouldn't have been, deficits out the ass, etc. Substance, I would think, it what decisions are based on. But, lets see how the author supports his opinion:

“They are basically jealous,” said a Democratic strategist who has not yet decided which candidate he intends to support. “They’ve been toiling in the trenches for decades, and along comes this son of a Kenyan farmer and suddenly he’s measuring the drapes in the Oval Office.”
We deserved to know WHO that democratic strategist is. There is no way in hell we can assess the truth of that statement without knowing WHO and the MOTIVATIONS of that so-called strategist. Did the author just make that shit up? Is this so-called strategist a "Somebody" ... or a "Nobody" we would be interested in knowing what the fuck he thinks anyway ??? Is the strategist even Black? - because the author didn't tell us one way or the other.

I call this "Coward Writing". If there were strong enough feelings among a significant number of Black people with that attitude, wouldn't this author tell us who they are ?

Sharpton, 52, is widely considered to have no better chance of winning the Democratic nomination than in 2004, when he never amassed more than a few percentage points in the polls but still made a national impact with his barnstorming performances in the televised primary debates.

When asked about Obama’s likely candidacy, the preacher, renowned for outrageous self-publicising antics, shrugged: “Right now we’re hearing a lot of media razzle-dazzle. I’m not hearing a lot of meat, or a lot of content. I think when the meat hits the fire, we’ll find out if it’s just fat, or if there’s some real meat there.”
Two things:

(1) Obama hasn't declared his candidacy and he hasn't yet laid out all of his thoughts and I don't blame him because at this point, thats not necessary. He now has time to formulate and gel his ideas without them being scrutinized to hell. The same media thats extolling the virtues of Barak Obama today will be the same one that rips into his ass, later. And, many of those same whites who appear to be on the bandwagon today, will be some of the same ones to abandon him, later. Obama's best defense against both is preparation. Black people? - we're going to be there.

(2) The truth is, most of what we've seen so far has been the "Media Frenzy". So, the aging Reverend, who himself may be contemplating a run, has told what is ... well ... the truth. I wasn't there to hear the statements so a lot of demeanor, tone, etc., is left out. But so is a lot of other shit in this weak-assed article.

Beware of articles that foment division - whether by design, intent or just fucked up writing​

QueEx

muckraker10021

Superstar *****
BGOL Investor
<font size="3" color="#000000">
Absolutely correct Q. It is not the old-guard Black politicos who are trying to sully and denude the remarkable path Obama’s life has taken so far. No it is certain segments of the white media who are applying the “full court press” to destroy Obama. Particularly egregious of course are the RepubliKlans. Their sole Hyper-Negro & ultimate example of what RepubliKlan’s call “affirmative access” , Condi Rice , is a permanently damaged ‘cracked vessel’. Her woeful performance last week before the senate Foreign Relations Committee revealed the derision that both Republicans & Democrats have for her. If you missed it, go watch it on CSPAN or watch it on your computer by clicking the link below
<a target="_blank" href="rtsp://video.c-span.org/project/iraq/iraq011107_policy.rm">
Entire 3 hour senate hearing</a>

The short MSNBC video below will give an idea of Rice’s pitiful, discredited, neo-con ‘talking-points’ automaton performance.
[WM]http://movies.crooksandliars.com/Hardball-Condi-Escalation.wmv[/WM]

US death squad boss John Negroponte who in the 1980’s directed America’s Latin-American torture & death squads, in a white house orchestrated move, left his post as National Intelligence Director to take the number 2 spot at the State Department. Condi has effectively been fired, she is just window dressing. As the establishment media Wash. Post & NY Times both reported, Negroponte “will do the heavy lifting’” at State.

The attack against Barack Obama from some white media has not been subtle. CNN ran a story about the hunt for alleged Afghanistan terrorist with the words “Where Is Obama” on the TV screen. Another radio host said that Obama is a HALFRICAN and doesn’t qualify as an African American because he is not a descendent of Black slaves. You can watch a news report about it
Here - <a target="_blank" href="http://movies.crooksandliars.com/KCBS-Spocko.wmv">San Francisco ABC Chanel 5 News Story </a>
These attacks will intensify. Bank on it !

</font>

GET YOU HOT

Superfly Moderator
BGOL Investor
Obama, smart, tactful and witty also, you can count on quality qualifications, he is no push over...

muckraker10021

Superstar *****
BGOL Investor
muckraker10021 said:
<font size="3" color="#000000">
These attacks will intensify. Bank on it !
</font>

<font face="georgia" size="4" color="#d90000"><b>
FOX Affiliate Shows Video Of Obama Rally During Sex-Offender Story...</b></font><font face="georgia" size="3" color="#000000">
A news segment broadcast by Minneapolis-St. Paul's KMSP-TV, also known as "FOX9," shows footage of people marching with signs and placards supporting Barack Obama while the anchor reports a story about the sentencing of a sex offender. The station is owned and operated by Fox Televisions Stations Group.

Watch the video...
</font>

<p><object height="350" width="425"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/559kCaH1Shw"><param name="wmode" value="transparent"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/559kCaH1Shw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" height="350" width="425"></object></p>
<p>
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2007/01/15/fox-affiliate-shows-video_n_38725.html

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
:smh: :smh: :smh: ... whats more offensive to me is that the Huffington group laced its page with "Headlines" and not a single line discussing what happened or making a case against the station. :( :( :(

Maybe I don't read the Huff enuff, but I would think if you're going to post a headline, at least you would run a story with a quote or explanation from the wrongdoer. I'm not saying the gaff wasn't intentional; I just think HUFF should at least give us the stuff. I don't want to be Sheep'd by Huffington anymore than I want that TV station to assail Obama by association.

QueEx

GET YOU HOT

Superfly Moderator
BGOL Investor
That is that subliminal mind control shit...

I'll find link to the thread I started.

Letterman is into it to, i happened to be tuned to his show last nite, not even really watching till he made a statement of how dangerously overweight he was until he got bypass surgery.

Why did this fool show a skit of Red Fox, grabbing his heart? RIP

muckraker10021

Superstar *****
BGOL Investor
<font face="helvetica, microsoft sans serif, arial unicode, verdana" size="3" color="#000000">
No need to dump on the Huffington post. This particular Obama episode is all over the Blogesphere.

http://obamarama.org/2007/01/14/local-fox-affiliate-shows-obama-clip-during-sex-offender-story.aspx

http://www.tpmcafe.com/blog/jcluche...te_shows_obama_clip_during_sex_offender_story

http://www.draftobama.org/node/568

http://www.rawstory.com/comments/25601.html

You are not going to get a 1000 word article in a quickly posted blog entry. That’s one of the key positive factors of blogs. Unlike the mainstream media, there are no phalanx of cock-blockers (editors) , to stop critical mass stories and pertinent information from reaching the public.
Example : The New York Times sat on the story that Bush was illegally wiretapping without a warrant for over a year.

This Obama story once again demonstrates the critical part “fact-based” blogs are playing in the push-back against the US becoming a totally corporatist (fascist) state. Somebody saw this Fox local news, Saturday evening broadcast & their TIVO happened to be on. They posted the digital video on the web, and all of a sudden a 30 second local news broadcast becomes a worldwide story. That’s the power of the Blogesphere. Remember George "Macaca" Allen? That clip of video, first posted in the Blogesphere, cost him his senate seat, and gave the senate to the Democrats. The drudge report was the first big-time blog. It was and is a “Non-fact-based” blog that came to initial fame by sliming Bill Clinton, and anything associated with Bill Clinton. The rape allegation against Clinton first appeared on drudge, and from there went into the RepubliKlan echo chamber (Rush, Hannity, Savage, FOX, etc,)

“Fat-based-blogs” are a direct threat to the corporatist state. This is why they want to kill them off by enacting road blocks on the world-wide-web. The mainstream media, the corporatist, are opposed to <font color="#ff0000"><b>Network Neutrality.</b></font> They want to decide what information gets onto the fast lane and what information gets stuck in a tunnel.

One hypothetical scenario: <i>‘Without network neutrality, AZT cable, who provides you with internet service decides that <b>drudge report</b> is part of your basic service, but <b>huffington post</b> is a premium service that you have to pay additional fees to get’</i>

Support Network Neutrality!!!

The <s>FOX</s> FAKE News station issued an apology
<blockquote>
http://obamarama.org/2007/01/14/local-fox-affiliate-shows-obama-clip-during-sex-offender-story.aspx
<font color="#0000FF"><b>
As News Director of KMSP, I can assure you this was an unfortunate error. We sincerely apologize. On Friday we changed to a new video server playback system and we encountered a few problems, however that is not an excuse. We are running a correction in our newscasts tonight, and apologizing once again to anyone who viewed this story. I would also add that FOX 9 did an entire reporter package on the "Run Obama" rally here in the Twin Cities this weekend. Clearly this was positive coverage of the groundswell of support for the Senator. I know readers will view this with skepticism, but that's truly what happened, and again, we are sincerely apologetic. Bill Dallman, News Director KSMP Television.
</font>
</blockquote>
</font>
<p>
<hr noshade color="#0000ff" size="12"></hr>
<p>

Last edited:

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
<font size="5"><center>

Can Obama Count on the Black Vote?</font size></center>

obama_jackson_0119.jpg

Sen. Barack Obama (L), D-Ill., stands with Rev. Jesse Jackson Sr. (R)
at the PUSH for Excellence 17th Annual Reverend Dr. Martin Luther
King, Jr., Scholarship Award Breakfast January 15, 2007, in Chicago, Illinois.

TIME Magazine
By PERRY BACON JR./WASHINGTON
January 23, 2006

There is no doubt that Barack Obama can appeal to white audiences —witness the huge crowds of people the Presidential contender has drawn in Iowa and New Hampshire, or his best-selling book. But one of the many unknowns about Obama is how black activists and voters will respond to a different kind of candidacy for an African-American hopeful. Jesse Jackson's focus on the underclass and poverty didn't win him the Democratic nomination in 1988, but Obama would surely like to win the 90% of the black vote in most states that Jackson did.

Much of Obama's overall appeal stems from his image as practically a post-racial politician. Not only does he have a mixed-race background, with a white mother from Kansas and a black father from Kenya, but his rhetoric, most notably his 2004 Democratic National Convention speech, emphasizes the importance of Americans moving beyond political, religious and racial differences. He rarely makes explicit appeals based on his race the way Jackson did. " A lot of black people aren't ready to get beyond race, because race puts them in the situation they're in," said Ron Walters, a professor at the University of Maryland who worked on Jesse Jackson's Presidential runs. "But many whites want to get beyond the past, they want to support a black person who doesn't raise the past and in fact gives them absolution from the past."

Obama won't start off with universal support among black leaders. David Mack, a black state legislator in South Carolina, said he wanted someone with more national-security experience, so he' s backing Delaware Senator Joe Biden instead. "Obama's very bright and very capable and he has the ability to build a team, but I feel experience is so important," Mack said. Robert Ford, a South Carolina state senator, said supporting Obama was too risky for the Democratic Party. "Obama would need 43% of the white vote in some states to win, and that's humanly impossible," said Ford. "Black Americans in the South don't believe this country is ready to vote for a black President."

Carolyn Cheeks Kilpatrick, chairman of the Congressional Black Caucus, a group of 43 black Democratic members of Congress, said she was "99% sure" her group would not support Obama en masse the way the powerful women's political organization Emily's List is backing Hillary Clinton. Many of the members, she said, would wait and see how the race shapes up. And others have already made up their minds in favor of others. Greg Meeks, a Democratic congressman from New York, says his decision is simple: he' s sticking with his hometown gal, Clinton, who has talked to him about her candidacy. "I've been calling her Madame President for a long time," Meeks said. New York civil rights activist Al Sharpton says he is considering another presidential run and used a recent interview with the Associated Press to make clear he's not that impressed with Obama. "If we're talking about the urban agenda, can you tell me anybody else in the field who's representing that right now?" Sharpton asked. He praised Edwards for talking about poverty issues, but left out Obama. "Right now we're hearing a lot of media razzle-dazzle," Sharpton said. "I'm not hearing a lot of meat, or a lot of content."

And the Clinton question, of course, looms large. Even during Clinton's impeachment trial, African-Americans, both in Congress and in the general public, never wavered from their strong backing of the man whom author Toni Morrison dubbed the country's "first black President." And it's not just that Bill Clinton would be campaigning for his wife. Two years ago, Democratic pollster Mark Mellman found in a focus group of 10 black women that eight named Hillary Clinton as their political hero. "I've got the biggest picture of one person in my office, a picture of myself and Hillary Clinton," says Robert Ford, the South Carolina state senator. And he predicted other black leaders in his state of South Carolina might also be swayed by Hillary's top booster. "If Bill Clinton calls you, you're not going to have much choice," he said. Early polls show Hillary Clinton far ahead of Obama among black voters (a CBS News poll gave Clinton 52% of the vote vs. 28% for Obama), although this in part reflects her extremely high name recognition.

The rest of the field isn't going to cede the black vote to Obama either. John Edwards ran strongly among black voters in winning South Carolina in 2004 and his message about reducing poverty and strong rhetoric about pulling troops out from Iraq — a war black voters have consistently opposed at higher percentages than white voters — contrast with Obama's more cautious positioning on that issue. Both Biden and Connecticut's Chris Dodd appeared last week at Martin Luther King Day events in South Carolina.

To be sure, Obama is starting out with some high-profile African-American backers. Virginia's Doug Wilder, who in 1989 was the first black in U.S. history to be elected governor, has met with Obama and encouraged him to run. More than most politicians, Wilder knows personally how difficult it can be for a black candidate; during his gubernatorial campaign, the gap between his numbers in the final polls and in the actual election showed such a dramatic drop-off that it became known as the "Wilder Effect." "I know there are people who don't think an African-American can win the Presidency," said Wilder. "I cut through a lot of that with one simple answer: Barack Obama can win the Presidency of the United States."

Atlanta Congressman John Lewis, who was a key leader in the civil rights efforts of the 1960s, said he was an early supporter of Bill Clinton and admired his wife, but called Obama "refreshing" and said he would back him. At a recent event in Chicago, Jesse Jackson, introducing Obama, said a "new President is in the house," although he has refused to endorse Obama officially so far. Jackson's son, Illinois Rep. Jesse Jr., is already backing Obama. New York Congressman Charlie Rangel, who used to be on Hillary' s bandwagon, is now publicly wavering and encouraged Obama to get into the race.

And Obama has carefully cultivated his relationships with other prominent African-Americans who could help his candidacy. While trying to figure out if he should run, Obama,like Clinton and several other candidates, met with a group of African-American women who are heavily involved in Democratic politics, including former Gore campaign manager Donna Brazile. Brazile, who publicly rebuked John Kerry in 2004 for not having enough blacks on his campaign staff, has spoken warmly of Obama. The Illinois Senator frequently talks with T.D Jakes, a black minister who runs a Texas megachurch and whose sermons are broadcast around the country. Among the circle of advisers on Obama's team are a core of African-Americans who, like Obama, were born after the start of the Civil Rights movement and attended elite colleges. Cassandra Butts, a law school classmate of Obama's at Harvard and a former top aide to former House Democratic Leader Dick Gephardt, will play a key role in his domestic policy, while Susan Rice, a former Clinton State Department official, has been advising him on foreign policy. And perhaps the most important of his African-American supporters is a woman who goes to his church in Chicago and who has praised him publicly — Oprah Winfrey.

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1581666,00.html

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
<font size="4"><center>
"You can be elected president as a black person only if
you signal at some level that you are independent from black
people" -- a move "guaranteed" to make black people angry.
"He is going to have to figure out whether there is a way not to
alienate and anger a black base that almost by definition
is going to be disappointed,"
</font size="4"></center>

[frame]http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/01/24/AR2007012402032.html?referrer=email[/frame]

VegasGuy

Star
OG Investor
Good the question remains open. Let em grovel for our vote and LET'S GET SOMETHING FOR IT. Never mind good for the party retoric. That's nonsense. We should make them put in writing the kinds of improvements to services for our communities we need. And quit allowing whites to take our votes for granted. They count on our voting block as most of these stories say on the low. Make em deliver.

Hell who am I kidding. The moment white democrats mention racist republicans in our churches, we'll bend the fuck over just like we always do. The vote is all but assured.

-VG

bennok21

Potential Star
Registered
first when the fuck did jesse jackson and al shapton become black activists. those folks are just as useless as george w. why would u even give a fuck what they think. what have they done for black people. not a single jack shit. in my opinion, they need to shut the fuck up and find a hole to sleep in. these folks are always complaining about ABC, when they r not doing fuck just recieving titles and making money. why is al sharpton running, when his dumb ass knows he can't win. he shouldn't take away quality votes from other quality democrats especially obama. i think they have that slavement-negro mentality, that they r scared that a black man can't make it to the white house. how about being an "halfrican". what is wrong with being from africa. if u were a descendant of a slave, so what. ur anscestors was unlucky blame that shit on white folks not on africans. dumb ass activists always causes a house to be divided against itself, resulting in black folks vote not counting in the election.

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
<font size="5"><center>
Sharpton Sizes Up 2008 Contenders</font size></center>

bb1615e5-f48d-47c0-b4c2-48291f9c2137.jpg

Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill, left, and Rev. Al Sharpton pose for a photograph in front
of the portrait of Thurgood Marshall, at Sen. Obama's office on Capitol hill, Thursday,
Jan 25, 2007, in Washington.

By NEDRA PICKLER, The Associated Press
Jan 25, 2007 6:22 PM (17 hrs ago)

WASHINGTON - Democrat Al Sharpton said Thursday he's waiting to see how the 2008 presidential field shapes up before deciding whether to declare himself a candidate.

The civil rights activist spent the day on Capitol Hill, meeting with the four Democratic senators who are pursuing the presidency - Chris Dodd of Connecticut, Joe Biden of Delaware, Hillary Rodham Clinton of New York and Barack Obama of Illinois. Each met privately with Sharpton in their office.

"I'm not making any endorsements today," Sharpton, who ran in 2004, told reporters at the end of his meeting with Obama.

Obama said the two talked about their shared agenda of fighting for the dispossessed. "I assured him that I not only want to hear his views and thoughts and policy recommendations, but publicly any of us who step into this fight for the nomination have to be held accountable and speak to these issues," he said.

Sharpton said they talked about economics, health care and education issues. "We are going to keep talking and he knows I'm talking to everybody," he said.

The normally loquacious Sharpton was unusually curt and cut off further questioning by saying he was behind schedule. But he told reporters who followed him that he would decide about his own candidacy "once I see what these guys do or don't do."

http://www.examiner.com/a-529122~Sharpton_Sizes_Up_2008_Contenders.html

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
<font size="5"><center>
Harold Ford on Barack Obama</font size></center>

5a68f652-5468-4d74-a435-af7c6a4b302a.jpg

Harold Ford, Jr.

By NEDRA PICKLER,
The Associated Press
Jan 25, 2007

Former Rep. Harold Ford Jr., has some advice for his friend Sen. Barack Obama: Don't be afraid to take your presidential campaign anywhere in this country, no matter what the racial politics.

Ford lost a close bid last fall to become the first black senator from a Southern state since Reconstruction. Some blamed the loss in Tennessee on racial politics, but Ford said Thursday other factors, including a rival who spent his own money, contributed to his defeat.

He said Obama, son of a white mother and an African father, can't control how his race will affect his candidacy.

"As long as he works hard, is honest ... and is not afraid to take his message anywhere in the country, he'll do fine," Ford said. "He can't try to predict what other people may think or may do. All he can do is run the campaign that he's capable of running.

"Do I think the fact that he's black will be a factor in his campaign? Probably," Ford said. "It would be a factor if two white guys were running. People talk about race regardless, so race is an issue that we deal with in America. I don't think that will be a central part of his campaign at all."

Ford spoke to reporters over lunch on his first day as chairman of the centrist Democratic Leadership Council. Ford is replacing former Iowa Gov. Tom Vilsack, who stepped down to run for president.

Ford said he plans to remain neutral in the 2008 race because of his new position, but he is particularly close to Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton of New York and Obama.

http://www.examiner.com/a-529122~Sharpton_Sizes_Up_2008_Contenders.html[/url]

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
[frame]http://www.blackagendareport.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=68[/frame]

GET YOU HOT

Superfly Moderator
BGOL Investor
Obama ridicules Cheney's Iraq
comments By KELLEY SHANNON, Associated Press Writer

AUSTIN, Texas - Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama (news, bio, voting record) ridiculed Vice President Dick Cheney on Friday for saying Britain's decision to pull troops from Iraq is a good sign that fits with the strategy for stabilizing the country.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070224/ap_on_el_pr/obama2008_10

"Now, keep in mind, this is the same guy that said we'd be greeted as liberators, the same guy that said that we're in the last throes. I'm sure he forecast sun today," Obama said to laughter from supporters holding campaign signs over their heads to keep dry. "When Dick Cheney says it's a good thing, you know that you've probably got some big problems."

ronmch20

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Actually at this point, hesitancy among blacks could work in Obama's favor. Realistically I think he has little chance of winning the nomination let alone the Presidency; but, if at large he is seen simply as a black candidate for black people, he has no chance. I do, however, agree with a previous poster; there's a fair amount of jealousy out there among self appointed black leaders, but despite their pettiness Obama is going to prove be a formidable opponent for Hillary. When attacked he has not been reticent about returning fire. I like that. :yes:

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
ronmch20 said:
Actually at this point, hesitancy among blacks could work in Obama's favor. Realistically I think he has little chance of winning the nomination let alone the Presidency; but, if at large he is seen simply as a black candidate for black people, he has no chance. I do, however, agree with a previous poster; there's a fair amount of jealousy out there among self appointed black leaders, but despite their pettiness Obama is going to prove be a formidable opponent for Hillary. When attacked he has not been reticent about returning fire. I like that. :yes:
I could've just "co-signed" ... as I don't disagree with a word of what you said.

I'd like to add, however, what many are feeling and thinking: win or lose, Obama's run and his interaction with what I'll just call the "Old Black Guard" is going to change some of the fundamentals of Black politics as we have come to know them. I don't know whether that change will be exponential, algebraic or mere arithmetical -- all being matters of degree -- but I just sense that this presidential race, with this particular candidate, is going to forge some new Black political attitudes among future Black candidates, Black voters, Black political operatives and just plain ole Black people.

From the time we first set forced foot upon these shores through the course of the civil rights struggle and beyond, there have been many "Defining Moments" ... where events or a series of events have shifted or significantly advanced the cause, altered Black political thought, or worked to alter the political status quo. Obama's run will be another of them.

QueEx

GET YOU HOT

Superfly Moderator
BGOL Investor
ronmch20 said:

clinton_obama.jpg

The Pattern May Change, if ...
By ADAM NAGOURNEY
Published: December 10, 2006

AFTER a 217-year march of major presidential nominees who were, without exception, white and male, the 2008 campaign may offer voters a novel choice.

POSSIBILITIES Some political analysts say they think the country may accept a woman as president. But they are less sure about an African-American, even one as popular as Barack Obama.

But as Barack Obama, the senator from Illinois whose father is from Kenya, spends this weekend exploring a presidential bid in New Hampshire, and Hillary Rodham Clinton, the first woman to represent New York in the Senate, calls potential supporters in Iowa, the question remains: are Americans prepared to elect an African-American or a woman as president?

Or, to look at it from the view of Democrats hungry for victory in 2008, is the nation more likely to vote for a woman or an African-American for president?

Without question, women and blacks have made significant progress in winning office. The new Congress will include 71 women — one of whom will be the first female speaker of the House — compared with 25 when Representative Geraldine Ferraro, a Queens Democrat, became the first woman to run as a major-party vice presidential candidate in 1984. There will be 43 blacks in the new Congress, compared with 13 when the Congressional Black Caucus was formed in 1969. A Gallup Poll in September showed a steady rise in the number of people who expect the nation to elect a woman or an African-American as president one day: Americans, it seems, are much more open to these choices than, say, someone who is an atheist or who is gay.

Times are indeed changing. But how much?

Over the past of the past eight years, in the view of analysts from both parties, the country has shifted markedly on the issue of gender, to the point where they say voters could very well be open to electing a woman in 2008. That is reflected, they say, in polling data and in the continued success of women running for office, in red and blue states alike. “The country is ready,” said Senator Elizabeth Dole, the North Carolina Republican, who ran unsuccessfully for president in 2000. “I’m not saying it’s going to happen in ’08. But the country is ready.”

By contrast, for all the excitement stirred by Mr. Obama, it is much less certain that an African-American could win a presidential election. Not as many blacks have been elected to prominent positions as women. Some high-profile black candidates — Harold Ford Jr., a Democrat running for the Senate in Tennessee, and Michael Steele, a Republican Senate candidate in Maryland — lost in November. And demographics might be an obstacle as well: black Americans are concentrated in about 25 states — typically blue ones, like New York and California. While black candidates cannot assume automatic support from black voters, they would at least provide a base. In states without big black populations, the candidate’s crossover appeal must be huge.

“All evidence is that a white female has an advantage over a black male — for reasons of our cultural heritage,” said the Rev. Jesse L. Jackson, the civil rights leader who ran for president in 1984 and 1988. Still, he said, for African-American and female candidates, “It’s easier — emphatically so.”

Ms. Ferraro offered a similar sentiment. “I think it’s more realistic for a woman than it is for an African-American,” said Ms. Ferraro. “There is a certain amount of racism that exists in the United States — whether it’s conscious or not it’s true.”

“Women are 51 percent of the population,” she added.

Many analysts suggested that changing voter attitudes can best be measured in choices for governors, since they, like presidents, are judged as chief executives, rather than legislators. There will be one black governor next year — Deval L. Patrick in Massachusetts, the second in the nation since Reconstruction.

By contrast, women will be governors of nine states, including Washington, Arizona and Michigan, all potential battleground states in 2008, a fact that is no doubt viewed favorably by advisers to Mrs. Clinton.

“Voters are getting more comfortable with seeing governors as C.E.O.’s of states,” said Gov. Kathleen Sebelius, a Kansas Democrat. Gov. Jennifer M. Granholm, a Michigan Democrat who won a second term last month, said in an interview that when she first ran, she had to work harder. “Not this time,” she said in an interview. “They are used to a woman being governor.”

Of course, governors don’t have to handle national security. And Mrs. Clinton has used her six years in the Senate to try to counter the stereotype that women would not be as strong on the issue, especially with the nation at war. Mrs. Clinton won a seat on the Armed Services Committee, and was an early supporter of the war in Iraq.

Mr. Obama is in many ways an unusual African-American politician, and that is why many Democrats, and Republicans, view him as so viable.

Mr. Obama is a member of a post-civil-rights generation of black politicians and is not identified with leaders like Mr. Jackson and the Rev. Al Sharpton of New York, who are polarizing to many white voters. He has a warm and commanding campaign presence that, as he showed in Illinois, cut across color lines.

Donna Brazile, a prominent Democratic strategist who is black, said that she had been deluged with e-mail messages from people looking to volunteer for Mr. Obama — and that most of the requests were from white voters.

Moreover, there is abundant evidence that attitudes toward black candidates are changing among white voters. In Tennessee, Mr. Ford lost his bid to become the state’s first black senator since Reconstruction, but by only three percentage points.

Surveys of voters leaving the polls showed that 40 percent of white voters supported Mr. Ford, compared with 95 percent of black voters. More intriguing, the final result was the same as what the exit polls had suggested. Before this, in many races involving black candidates, the polls predicted that they would do better than they actually did — presumably because voters were reluctant to tell questioners they did not support the African-American.

That said, Mr. Ford lost his race after Republicans aired an advertisement that Democrats said was explicitly racist. Many Democrats said a lesson of the loss was that racial appeals still have force, particularly in the South.

Race and gender are big issues in American politics, but they are not the only ones, particularly in the coming race. Mr. Obama, should he run, may find his lack of experience will be far more troublesome to voters than his color. He is 45 and serving his first term as senator.

Mr. Obama said that many black voters he spoke with have serious questions about whether America is ready to elect an African-American president.

“I think there is a protectiveness and a skepticism within the African-American community that is grounded in their experiences,” Mr. Obama said in an interview. “But the skepticism doesn’t mean there’s a lack of support.”

David A. Bositis, senior political analyst with the Joint Center for Political and Economic Studies, a nonpartisan Washington group that studies black issues, said that it would certainly be hard, but not impossible for an African-American candidate to win.

“I certainly felt in the ’90s that if Colin Powell had been nominated on a major party ticket, he would have had a very good chance to win,” Mr. Bositis said. “If it’s the right black candidate, I do think there is propensity to elect a black. But it has to be the right black candidate.”

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
<font size="5"><center>Obama: Sharpton's Alleged Jealousy
'Concocted by the Press'</font size></center>

Black Press USA
by Hazel Trice Edney
NNPA Washington Correspondent

WASHINGTON (NNPA) – U. S. Sen. Barack Obama, a leading candidate for the Democratic nomination for president, has denounced reports of a rivalry between him and former presidential candidate Al Sharpton. In response, Sharpton has all but declared that he will not run again for the Democratic nomination.

“This is just something that was concocted by the press, the New York Post,” Obama said in an interview with the National Newspaper Publishers Association News Service at a reception celebrating the 180th Anniversary of the Black Press last week. “It had nothing to do with my campaign. We talk frequently and I’ll be at his convention coming up in April,” he says of Sharpton.

Responding to Obama’s comments, Sharpton hinted this week that he will not run for the nomination again.

“I have not announced that, but I probably will announce it at the conference,” Sharpton says. “All of the candidates are speaking at the conference. And after that, we’ll decide where we’re going and who ever we decide we’re going to support, I’m definitely going to campaign for.”
The National Action Network’s annual convention is scheduled for April 18-21 in New York.

A March 12 article in the Post reported that Sharpton “has launched a ‘big-time’ effort to tear down Illinois Sen. Barack Obama as a candidate for president,” quoting an unnamed “prominent Black Democratic activist who knows Sharpton” and supports Hilary Clinton. The article called Sharpton “jealous.”

Sharpton said in an NNPA interview two weeks ago that a Washington Post-ABC poll showing Obama with 44 percent of the Black vote over Hilary Clinton’s 33 percent reveals how far he has to go to win support in the Black community.

“With the cover of Time Magazine, 60 Minutes, all of the positive press put together, and he doesn’t have 50 percent of the Black vote? That’s not good,” Sharpton said. “If he’s got more than half of Black people saying they’re not supporting him, what does that say?”

But, Sharpton explained this week that his opinion was not meant to be criticism or jealously, simply an analysis.

“He and I have talked by phone. He told me that he can assure me that no one in his campaign did it or to his knowledge was authorized,” Sharpton says. “I’m not trying to in any way impair his candidacy.”

In his personable, breeze-through visit at the opening Black Press Week reception hosted by the Black publishers, Obama praised the Black Press for continuing to set itself apart after nearly two centuries.

“You offer a unique voice that all too often is silent in the mainstream media and I know how hard it is to keep that paper going,” he said. Hitting on an oft-heard complaint by publishers, he said, “There’s no reason that the Black Press should not be getting its fair share of legal notices.”

Introduced by Black Press Week Chairman Ofield Dukes as “Mr. President,” Obama, posed for pictures and granted press interviews during his whirlwind visit. He stressed that the Black Press has been and is worth the investment because it not only focuses on issues such as “racial profiling” that other media often ignore, but it “also offers young leaders like me an outlet to shape public opinion.”

http://www.blackpressusa.com/News/Article.asp?SID=3&Title=Hot+Stories&NewsID=12656

thoughtone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
On a related note, earlier in 2007, when Obama was getting popular press, the republicans were trying to get a feel and see if an alternative “Black” republican Presidential candidate could be found. The right wing pundits floated Condi’s name as an “intelligent, articulate and qualified Black candidate. My question is, who voted for Rice? Has she ever run for public anything? I say let the republicans offer a Black candidate that appeals to the masses of Black folk and let us decide if they pass muster with us. I say they are fools by not encouraging Powell to run. Reagan was 69 when he started his presidency. Colin Powell is now 70. Powell has nowhere near the dementia Reagan had when he was at that age.

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
<font size="5"><center>Congressional Black Caucus Split
Between Clinton and Obama</font size></center>

Black Press USA
by Hazel Trice Edney
NNPA Editor-in-Chief

WASHINGTON (NNPA) – As America prepares for a string of primaries and caucuses to determine who will be its next Democratic and Republican nominees for president, the majority of the 42-member Congressional Black Caucus who have chosen to endorse in the race is split 15-15 between CBC member Illinois Sen. Barack Obama and New York Sen. Hillary Clinton. In interviews this week, CBC members pointed mainly to the candidates’ stances on specific issues as the reasons for their endorsements.

“He is the most likely to actually produce change in areas that make a difference – home ownership, education, health care, crime policy,” says U. S. Rep. Bobby Scott (D-Va.), explaining his endorsement of Obama.

Scott, who chairs the House Crime Subcommittee, says, “For years we’ve concentrated on and focused more on codifying… sound bites rather than seriously addressing crime.''

He adds that he is impressed with Obama’s record on health care and the war in Iraq.

“He led the charge to get more people health insurance in the Illinois legislature…He also had the strength of character and courage to stand up against the Iraqi war.”

U. S Rep. Sheila Jackson-Lee (D-Texas), who has announced her endorsement of Clinton, says she believes Clinton’s long record of service to children shows where her heart really is.

She says she is especially impressed that Clinton, as a young lawyer, served as a staff attorney for Marian Wright Edelman's Children's Defense Fund during her post graduate studies and that she served as a consultant to the Carnegie Council on Children.

“This is a very important election and I do think that as people begin to know Sen. Clinton and they know her personally and they know her story, she has an enormously convincing story of someone who has empathy and out of empathy, one can act upon the pain of others and the joy of others,” says Jackson-Lee.

While Scott says his endorsement of Obama has nothing to do with the fact that he is Black, Jackson-Lee made no bones about what she sees as an opportunity to raise the ceiling for women in America.

“I do think that as women, whether it is minority women or majority women, we have a long way to go. Now, it is frankly innovative and inspiring that America would find its way to possibly selecting someone who has both talent and experience who happens to be a woman, which would make us move to where countries around the world have already gone in selecting women as heads of state,” Jackson-Lee says.

John Edwards, a former North Carolina senator, has three endorsements from CBC members.

''Too many women are not getting the health care they need,'' said U. S. Rep. Eddie Bernice Johnson (D-Texas) in a statement posted on the Edwards campaign website. ''John Edwards is the only candidate to outline a specific plan to provide universal coverage and I'm proud to be part of a campaign—the only campaign—with a detailed plan to cover all Americans.''

Eight CBC members had not made public endorsements by NNPA deadline.
The 15-15 Clinton-Obama split among the CBC members closely reflects the dividing lines among Black voters, according to polls.

A poll taken between Oct. 5 and Nov. 2 by the Joint Center for Political and Economic Studies showed Clinton with 83 percent of Black votes, compared to Obama, who then had 74 percent. About 10 percent of those surveyed viewed them both negatively.

Voters must decide between two Democratic front-runners in a heated race for the White House, which has been run by Republican President George Bush for eight years. Most Bush performance approval ratings are under 40 percent. Plus, about 160,000 troops are still stationed in Iraq in a war that more than half of Americans want ended, according to Pew Research opinion polls. Democrats are banking on these facts to win back the White House.

Leading Republican candidates are former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani, former Tennesee Sen. Thompson, Sen. John McCain and former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney.

In recent history, Blacks have overwhelmingly supported Democratic candidates for president.

The split between the all-Democratic members of the CBC is as follows:

Endorsing Hillary Clinton are:
  • Sheila Jackson-Lee of Texas;
  • Stephanie Tubbs Jones of Ohio;
  • Kendrick Meek of Florida;
  • Corrine Brown of Floirida;
  • Alcee Hastings of Florida;
  • Yvette Clarke of New York;
  • Charles Rangel, Gregory of New York;
  • Meeks of New York;
  • Edolphus Towns of New York;
  • Emanuel Cleaver of Missouri;
  • Dianne Watson of California;
  • Laura Richardson of California;
  • David Scott of Georgia;
  • John Lewis of Georgia; and
  • Donna Christian-Christensen (V.I.).

Endorsing Barack Obama are:

• Bobby Scott of Virginia;
  • Danny Davis of Illinois;
  • Bobby Rush of Illinois;
  • Jesse Jackson Jr. of Illinois;
  • Barbara Lee of California;
  • Artur Davis of Alabama;
  • Gwen Moore of Wisconsin;
  • Lacy Clay of Missouri;
  • Elijah Cummings of Maryland;
  • Sanford Bishop of Georgia;
  • Hank Johnson of Georgia;
  • John Conyers of Michigan;
  • Keith Ellison of Minnesota;
  • Chaka Fattah of Pennsylvania; and
  • Al Green of Texas.

Endorsing John Edwards are:
  • Johnson of Texas;
  • Mel Watt of North Carolina; and
  • G. K. Butterfield of North Carolina.

Those who had not endorsed by NNPA deadline were:
  • Eleanor Holmes Norton of D.C.;
  • Jim Clyburn of South Carolina;
  • Bennie Thompson of Mississippi;
  • Al Wynn of Maryland;
  • illiam Jefferson of Louisiana;
  • Donald Payne of New Jersey,
  • Maxine Waters of California; and
  • CBC Chairwoman Carolyn Cheeks Kilpatrick of Michigan.

The Clinton-Obama choice is complicated by questions over whether America will really elect Clinton as its first woman or Obama as its first African-American president while both race and gender – specifically the Black race and the female gender - have historically been excuses for prejudice and discrimination in America. However, poll readings show both Democratic front-runners as being well ahead of their Republican opponents.

The focus is currently on the state of Iowa and its early Democratic Presidential Primary Jan. 3 and the New Hampshire primary Jan. 8. Obama leads slightly in Iowa and Clinton in New Hampshire.

But, pundits predict that Super Tuesday, Feb. 5 will be the deciding factor for who will likely win enough delegates for the Democratic nomination in Denver, Colo. Aug. 25-28. Super Tuesday is when 22 states will hold primaries and caucuses.
Scott says he believes Obama could win a general election despite racial prejudices.

“If he wins Iowa, he would be favored in New Hampshire and if he wins New Hampshire, he’ll have a lock on South Carolina, which would put him well-postured to compete on Super Tuesday and he’ll have enough money,” Scott says.

It’ll be easier for Obama to win a national election than a Republican, Scott predicts.

“You have the worst job performance since Herbert Hoover. You’ve got the foreclosures at record highs. You’ve got the median income significantly lower,” he says. “By the time the year is out, if people have a chance to look at the Republican administration, I think any Republican candidate will be hard-pressed to do well.”

http://www.blackpressusa.com/News/Article.asp?SID=3&Title=Hot+Stories&NewsID=14868

Cruise

Star
Registered
The second these so-called "activists" jump behind Barack Obama...

the second he loses his chance at becoming president.

A lot of these people (i.e. Andrew Young, Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, etc.) are not well-liked by whitey.

It's funny talking about a WOMAN (Hillary) putting a MAN in his place.

Oh, the irony.