Need BGOL Tech Help: Planning a weekly podcast

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
I had a idea for a weekly bgol podcast

any advice on microphones headsets and apps would be GREATLY appreciated

what I wanted help on is first how can 2 people on different coasts do a podcast together?

My plan was to have various members come on on different days
just quick

(sorry I'm on my phone will add more names later)

like Wednesday would be for comics
@Front Line

TV talk on Thursday
@fonzerrillii @largebillsonlyplease
Friday for movies
@slam

or entertainment overall
@ansatsusha_gouki

Sports would probably be Tuesday depending on the season
@largebillsonlyplease @BDR

Music on Saturday
@woodchuck @keone @therealjondoe

TV talk on Thursday
@fonzerrillii @largebillsonlyplease

and a call on Black Men advice culture life show.
@slam @tallblacknyc @jack walsh13 @cocobeauty @Camille

and a science show

Maybe business, legal and government on Sunday
@ViCiouS

Any tips on how I can answer phone calls of record them etc.

Other options are a live stream like Bomani does?

Dannyblueyes

Aka Illegal Danny
BGOL Investor
The best mic would be a Neuman U87 (aka the Frank Sinatra mic). The alternate is an Electro-voice RE20 that Howard Stern uses. Both can be pricey, but there's plenty of cheaper clones with a comparable quality.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
I might be down.... but with my schedule it’s going to be tough.

If I can figure this out, my dream is either just a quick 10 minute phone call, I would have a rundown lke PTI

and we hit the topics

of come in and just give a minutes of expert commentary.

I just need to figure out HOW to pull that off.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
The best mic would be a Neuman U87 (aka the Frank Sinatra mic). The alternate is an Electro-voice RE20 that Howard Stern uses. Both can be pricey, but there's plenty of cheaper clones with a comparable quality.

thanks, any affordable alternatives I would appreciate the suggestions!

ViCiouS

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
what I wanted help on is first how can 2 people on different coasts do a podcast together?
maybe a voice conference service- It allows you to record the session and you can edit it using a free program like Audacity

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
maybe a voice conference service- It allows you to record the session and you can edit it using a free program like Audacity

:idea:

I like that...

I gotta research that.

let me know if you know anyone who has done it.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Don't get too hung up on the tech aspects, get it up and going. The improvements will make themselves known/available

That was gonna be my hook interviewing bgol experts and basically doing the main board in a podcast format...

I gotta figure out a way to connect the voices

LSN

Phat booty lover.
BGOL Investor
dope idea...imo what would set it apart from most podcasts is addressing various topics thru out the duration of a show as opposed to focusing on specific topics on different days of the week to simulate a typical “day” on BGOL

SWOOP

Potential Star
Registered
For in person interviews I'd recommend a field recorder (Tascam DR-40).If you don't want to use any money. Then just use a cell phone. It's what I use when I'm shooting and am too far away to pick up voice dialogue with the internal camera and don't have my Tascam with me.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
For in person interviews I'd recommend a field recorder (Tascam DR-40).If you don't want to use any money. Then just use a cell phone. It's what I use when I'm shooting and am too far away to pick up voice dialogue with the internal camera and don't have my Tascam with me.

Thanks fam...

Any other tips or advice would be very appreciated

EPDC

El Pirate Del Caribe
BGOL Investor
Copying and pasting what I just posted on the YouTube channel thread...

I like the YouTube channel idea...but the more I think about it, I think a weekly BGOL podcast would work better.

Find a few dedicated hosts, pick a few topics, and invite guests (fellow BGOL heads) and drop a new episode weekly on MixCloud.

EPDC

El Pirate Del Caribe
BGOL Investor
For in person interviews I'd recommend a field recorder (Tascam DR-40).

That's a good field recorder.

The Zoom H4N Pro as well.

I have the Tascam DR-60D (for video) and love that joint.

Can't go wrong with either one of those.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jonlev...n-podcast-according-to-the-pros/#39629f75792e

We are in the midst of a podcast revolution. From journalistic storytelling
99% Invisible and Serial to interview-style shows like The Jordan Harbinger Show, podcasting is more popular than ever. With all the success of this medium, it’s no surprise that many have been inspired to launch their own show. Podcasting can create opportunities to demonstrate industry expertise, build an audience, and connect with thought leaders.

Unfortunately, the path from idea to podcast release is quite complex. It took me almost two years to figure out the ins-and-outs, and I still had to hire a team of professionals to launch The Influencers Podcast. In the hopes of sparing others from the struggles I went through, I sat down with several industry experts and podcasters to develop a definitive guide.

If you have time to learn and implement podcast production, the do-it-yourself option might work for you, but it's not for everyone. If you go with the DIY approach, here's what you'll need.

1. Define your niche and research guests.

Select a subject that you will love to work on for years, and a format that works for you. It could be a weekly monologue on veganism or an interview show on cars, but define your niche clearly before you do anything else.

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fjonlevy%2Ffiles%2F2018%2F02%2Fforbes-PixTeller-202517-2.jpg

Creating your own podcast could be key to building your business and career.UNSPLASH

If you're doing an interview-style podcast, create a long list of potential guests and templates to approach, confirm and notify them when their episode is released. Although, most people schedule their own guests, there are services you can use like Interview Connections and Authority Life, a matchmaking service between podcast hosts and guests. To manage the logistics of scheduling, I recommend using an app like Calendly or ScheduleOnce. They integrate into your calendar, collect contact details from guests, and send auto-reminders.

MORE FROM FORBES
1850 Brand Coffee BRANDVOICE
Bikini Maven's Bold Move Wasn't About What She Posted, But Where She Posted It
KPMG BRANDVOICE
The Great Rewrite: Digital Reinvention
KPMG BRANDVOICE
ESG Matters... Now What?
2. Gather the right equipment and recording software.

Audio quality is critical. Invest in a decent mic and record in an echo free room. An inexpensive mic that I use is the Audio-Technica ATR2100.

For recording, there are Skype plugins like Talk Helper (PC) and Call Recorder (Mac). However, if the Internet connection is poor, the recording could malfunction and audio quality suffers. I prefer Zencastr, because it records files locally to each person’s computer for maximum audio quality, and automatically uploads them to Dropbox.

3. Use editing tools.

Podcasts start and end with pre-recorded messages, called intros and outros. Intros are a way to introduce yourself, your guest and what you'll be discussing. Outros should have some call-t0-action for the listener. Music usually accompanies both, and you can find royalty-free jingles on AudioJungle. Using a free software like Audacity, basic edits and music can be added. Editing can be time-intensive. Depending on your bandwidth, hiring an editor from UpWork might be worth exploring.

4. Sign up for hosting and streaming.

Podcasts need to be hosted somewhere, so that people can download them. Cost can vary depending on the number of downloads. The popular platforms are:

For people to stream your show, register it on iTunes, Stitcher, Google Play and TuneIn.

5. Add show, audio, and transcripts to a website or blog.

Set up a dedicated website for your podcast. There are many fast solutions like Wix or Squarespace, but a website allows people to interact, ask questions and easily share your show. Adding transcripts and show highlights to a website also has a strong SEO value.

If doing it yourself, doesn't sound appealing, there are other, affordable options. After struggling to do it myself, I discovered there are companies that specialize in handling everything for you from start to finish. You may find that it is less expensive and easier to hire a company than to produce it yourself. Some cost as low as $100 an episode and they take care of everything from guest placement to marketing. Here are some options:

• Market Domination - Uses podcasting as a tool for those writing a book.
  • PredictiveROI.com - Produces podcasts, and builds sales funnels for their clients.
  • Brandcastingyou.com - Specializes in end-to-end podcast production and marketing. (In full disclosure, I went with Brandcastingyou.com for my own podcast.)
There are several options for podcasting agencies, and ultimately, deciding which to work with should be based on your own needs and vision. If you want to build a community, share knowledge, meet industry leaders, or explore a hobby, podcasting could set you on the right path. However you choose to create your content, hopefully this guide will help support you.