NBA Playoff Predictions

TrojansFan

Potential Star
Registered
Just curious to see what everybody thinks will happen in Round 1.

Here are my picks...

Spurs over Kings in 5 or 6 games
Suns over Lakers in 6 or 7 games (possible upset)
Clippers over Nuggets in 6 or 7 games
Mavs over Grizzlies in 4 or 5 games
Pistons over Bucks in 4 games
Heat over Bulls in 4 or 5 games
Nets over Pacers in 5 or 6 games
Wizards over Cavaliers in 5 or 6 games

What are your picks?

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
1st round

these are my 1st round predictions, and i will stand by them unless there is an injury or suspension to a starting player...

wORstern conference

speuros over kings - 5 games
suns over fakers - 5 games (i'm leaning towards a sweep, but coach jackson might be able to steal the fakers a W at staples)
mavericks over grizzlies - 4 games
nuggets over clippers - 6 games (i'm rooting for the clippers, so i wouldn't mind being wrong)

eastern conference

pistons over bucks - 4 games
cavaliers over wizards - 7 games (i'm rooting for the wizards, but i'm thinking the return of larry hughes may help the cavaliers over the wall)
heat over bulls - 5 games (i would predict a sweep, but i'm sure shaquille o'neal will be sitting MAJOR minutes on the bench with foul trouble in AT LEAST 1 game)
nets over pacers - 5 games (let's hope it's more competitive than my prediction. i just don't see the pacers' heads in the right place going into the playoffs)

added by EDIT: BTW, thanks for making this post on the SPORTS board. i know there was one floating around on BGOL, but it quickly fell to the lower pages. now that there's one on here, there's no excuse for the bandwagon, after-the-fact cowards to not put their predictions up BEFORE tipoff. EXCEPT for the fact, of course, that they ARE cowards.

Last edited:

xfactor

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Good look on the thread TF... I was about to start one this morning but glad to see someone else did here where it actually matters.

Im going to change on of my predictions so here is the new (and improved) playoff predictions for '06.

Eastern Conference

(1) Detroit vs. (8) Milwaukee -

Prediction - Detroit in 4

(4) Cleveland vs. (5) Washington -

Prediction - Washington in 6

(3) New Jersey vs. (6) Indiana -

Predicition - New Jersey in 6

(2) Miami vs. (7) Chicago

Prediction - Miami in 5

Western Conference

(1) San Antonio vs. (8) Sacramento

Prediction - San Antonio in 6

(4) Dallas vs. (5) Memphis

Prediction - Dallas in 5

(3) Denver vs. (6) LA Clippers

Prediction - LA Clippers in 7

(2) Phoenix vs. (7) LA Lakers

Prediction - Phoenix in 6

xfactor

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Is this guy serious?

Dont know how many of yall heard the ESPN in studio analyst today but was Mark Jackson sober? Or was he trying to cause controversy?

List of things Jackson said today that I didnt agree...

1) The Lakers will upset the Suns in the 1st round of the playoffs. :confused:

2) The Dallas Mavericks lead by MVP Dirk Nowitzki will win the NBA Championship. :eek:

3) When its all said and done, Kobe Bryant will be known as a much better player than Michael Jordan. :puke:

I didnt catch everytime they came on but I did hear those comments. Looks like they need to give commentators drug testing before they come on the set. :smh:

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
relax

xfactor said:
Dont know how many of yall heard the ESPN in studio analyst today but was Mark Jackson sober? Or was he trying to cause controversy?

1) The Lakers will upset the Suns in the 1st round of the playoffs. :confused:

2) The Dallas Mavericks lead by MVP Dirk Nowitzki will win the NBA Championship. :eek:

3) When its all said and done, Kobe Bryant will be known as a much better player than Michael Jordan. :puke:

I didnt catch everytime they came on but I did hear those comments. Looks like they need to give commentators drug testing before they come on the set. :smh:

it's to be expected. abc/espn commentators HAVE TO say some wild shit to hype up the lackluster matchups... otherwise nobody is going to tune in to watch...

what a coincidence... most of the games are on abc and espn... :cool:

Diamels

Star
Registered
Re: Is this guy serious?

xfactor said:

When its all said and done, Kobe Bryant will be known as a much better player than Michael Jordan. :puke:
Why would you disagree with such a accurate statement as that. You know that Kobe carried the Lakers to the playoffs all by himself :lol:

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
suns v. fakers

anybody notice that coach jackson is running zone D in the 2nd half?

and that the suns are mightily struggling AGAINST it?

william parker is playing STRONG D in the zone, as opposed to his porous D one on one...

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
suns v. fakers Q4

if i'm coach d'antoni, i sit the euro boris diaw and garbage player leandro barbosa...

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
suns v. fakers game 1

ho hum. so much for sticking with the game plan. :lol:

oh well, the fakers LOST, but at least tobe got 22 points! :lol:

Havoc

Support BGOL
Registered
Re: suns v. fakers Q4

I saw the game, and I'm pretty confident that the Lakers can win. The game plan was pretty interesting (allow everyone but Kobe to do their thing and let him do what he needs to at the end), but another one may be needed.

I'm impressed with the way Kwame Brown handled business down low. I think 5-12 (for him) is better than what he probably would have done earlier on in the season (2-9 or 0-5). Lamar Odom and the rest of the team played fairly well. I thought Brian Cook should've gotten some more shots, but oh well.

New Jersey: what happened?

Who honestly believes that the Bulls stand a chance against Miami?

Denver:???

Cleveland: This one's kind of obvious...

Detroit: same as above.

I get the impression that a lot of people expect Detroit to just blow past Miami, as there has been a lot of talk of Detroit and San Antonio in the finals (again). Any comment?

xfactor

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Havoc said:
I saw the game, and I'm pretty confident that the Lakers can win. The game plan was pretty interesting (allow everyone but Kobe to do their thing and let him do what he needs to at the end), but another one may be needed.

The Lakers could have won the game but as you saw at the end Wobe DID NOT stick to the game plan and that brought about their demise. I was actually impressed he stuck with it a whole 3 quarters :eek: but the true Kobe Bryant emerged in the 4th quarter successfully shooting the Lakers out of the game :yes:

Havoc said:
I get the impression that a lot of people expect Detroit to just blow past Miami, as there has been a lot of talk of Detroit and San Antonio in the finals (again). Any comment?

I think Miami has a legitimate shot to win this thing and I am pulling for them to do so. They still have 1 of the 2 most important players in the league in O'Neal (Tim Duncan being the other) and if they get to the ECF again and beat Detroit (coached by overrated Flip Saunders) they will have a chance because they can definitely beat San Antonio in a 7 game series.

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor

Havoc said:
I saw the game, and I'm pretty confident that the Lakers can win.

fair enough. the suns certainly didn't handle their business as they should have. raja bell and shawn marion were hampered by some foul trouble, but it should be interesting to see the adjustments both coaches make for game 2.

Havoc said:
The game plan was pretty interesting (allow everyone but Kobe to do their thing and let him do what he needs to at the end), but another one may be needed.

how about the game plan of just run the damn O the way it's intended to be run?

Havoc said:
I'm impressed with the way Kwame Brown handled business down low. I think 5-12 (for him) is better than what he probably would have done earlier on in the season (2-9 or 0-5).

kwame brown has made great strides since the beginning of the season. comfort level and personal confidence seem to have this young man playing solid minutes. one of the issues coach d'antoni will have to address is how the fakers are successfully exploiting the size mismatches the fakers present inside: kwame brown and lamar odom. which also makes one wonder if chris mihm will be ready to return this series.

Havoc said:

indiana showed a lot of character (more than i anticipated they had) and fought to stay close most of the game. they made the plays they needed to when it counted.

on the nets side of the ball, vince carter was lured into taking poor shots (jumpers) instead of high percentage shots going to the rim. i saw at least 2 airballs from behind the arc today...

Havoc said:
Who honestly believes that the Bulls stand a chance against Miami?

not me. i predicted heat in 5. but i've been wrong in the past. let's see what plays out.

Havoc said:

i posted several months ago that denver is a team in search of an indentity. now that most of the team is healthy, they are improved, but the nuggets still lack cohesion and continuity. on a side note, i believe reggie evans makes the nuggets better, and ruben patterson makes the nuggets worse.

also, where is their dead-eye role playing SG who can knock kick outs to the perimeter?

Havoc said:
Cleveland: This one's kind of obvious.

if the cavs DO advance, i'm still looking for more from lebron james. defeating the wizards would be an achievement in itself, but i want to see lebron TESTED.

Havoc said:
Detroit: same as above.

it took the pistons a couple quarters to get warmed up, but in the end they did what good teams are supposed to do.

Havoc said:

too soon for me to make those kinds of comments. we saw richard hamilton go down with an ankle injury in game 1 today against the bucks. how serious will that injury be? there are a lot of games left to play and the potential for more injuries exists, so let's see what unfolds.

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
mavericks v. grizzlies

too bad only eddie jones, shane battier and mike miller showed up to play for the grizzlies today. people reading the stat line will think pau gasol had a strong outing, but people who actually saw the game will know that the euro was a complete non-entity in the 1st half, and didn't show signs of life until late in the 2nd half.

i predicted a sweep of the grizzlies by dirt nowitzki and the mavericks, but that's not saying much. IMO the mavericks are only paper tigers and not real contenders.

TrojansFan

Potential Star
Registered

xfactor said:
I think Miami has a legitimate shot to win this thing and I am pulling for them to do so. They still have 1 of the 2 most important players in the league in O'Neal (Tim Duncan being the other) and if they get to the ECF again and beat Detroit (coached by overrated Flip Saunders) they will have a chance because they can definitely beat San Antonio in a 7 game series.

What makes you think Miami has a legitimate shot to win the championship???
They have struggled in both games against the Bulls. :puke:
I never thought the rebuilt Heat had a shot at this year (they should have stuck with the team they had, maybe add one player), but even I thought they would dismantle the Bulls without breaking a sweat. :yes: If they are struggling against the Bulls, the Nets or Pacers are sure to give them a battle as well. And you really think a worn down Heat team is going to beat a fresh Pistons squad? :smh: And where did you get the idea that the Heat could definitely beat the Spurs in a 7 game series? :confused: Are you on crack??? If the Heat were to face the Spurs (which I do not see happening at all) the Heat would be sizable underdog! By your own statement above Duncan would negate any advantage Shaq has and vice-versa, do you really think the Heat have better role players???

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor

TrojansFan said:
And where did you get the idea that the Heat could definitely beat the Spurs in a 7 game series? :confused: Are you on crack??? If the Heat were to face the Spurs (which I do not see happening at all) the Heat would be sizable underdog!

allow me to play devil's advocate in this dialogue. if the heat and spurs did face each other in the finals, what would you estimate the outcome would be? winner? number of games required?

would tony parker be able to continue his high FG% against a REAL shot blocker like shaquille o'neal?

would the spurs frontcourt of rasho nesterovic and nazr mohammed REALLY contend with shaquille o'neal? i'd like to see that. not to mention san antonio would find themselves in the penalty a good deal of those games, allowing the other heat players to parade to the FT line even on non-shooting fouls.

TD might own udonis haslem, but could he own alonzo mourning?

i'd LOVE to see miami heat v. san antonio spurs...

RunawaySlave

Zeitgeist
BGOL Investor

Havoc said:

Any team that depends on it's PG, SG and SF to lead the
team in rebounding and shot blocking is in big trouble
once playoff time starts....

We have no hammer in the paint. We are as soft as baby
shit. At the 1, 2 and 3 spots we can compete with anybody
but the 4 and 5 are both crapola

Our hammer is sitting on the bench in Denver. Or the closest
thing we had to a hammer

TrojansFan

Potential Star
Registered

cranrab said:
allow me to play devil's advocate in this dialogue. if the heat and spurs did face each other in the finals, what would you estimate the outcome would be? winner? number of games required?

would tony parker be able to continue his high FG% against a REAL shot blocker like shaquille o'neal?

would the spurs frontcourt of rasho nesterovic and nazr mohammed REALLY contend with shaquille o'neal? i'd like to see that. not to mention san antonio would find themselves in the penalty a good deal of those games, allowing the other heat players to parade to the FT line even on non-shooting fouls.

TD might own udonis haslem, but could he own alonzo mourning?

i'd LOVE to see miami heat v. san antonio spurs...

Don't play devil's advocate with me. If you think the Heat can win the championship this year say so. If you think the Heat can beat the Pistons say so. If you think the Heat can definitely beat the Spurs say so.
This is a bullshit post! If you believe in the Heat you come out and say so now make your prediction, don't come with this devil's advocate bullshit so you can later say "i was just playing devil's advocate"

All those questions you asked above are irrelavent to the topic. The topic was whether or not the Heat would definitely beat the Spurs not if it would be a competitive series. I can't stand the Spurs, but get fucking real no team in the league can definitely beat the Spurs! If the Pistons face the Spurs, I believe the Pistons would won the series but I wouldn't make the dumb ass statement they would definitely beat the Spurs.

So in conclusion cranrab, if you feel you need to respond to this come on record and say either Heat will or will not definitely beat the Spurs. I don't all the other bullshit to cloud the topic!

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
pot calling kettle...

were you talking to yourself, son?

TrojansFan said:
If you think the Heat can win the championship this year say so. If you think the Heat can beat the Pistons say so. If you think the Heat can definitely beat the Spurs say so.

All those questions you asked above are irrelavent to the topic.

So in conclusion cranrab, if you feel you need to respond to this come on record and say either Heat will or will not definitely beat the Spurs.

when YOU do what you ask, then i will respond in kind. until then, let me remind you what YOU wrote. :smh:

YOUR irrelevant question: "What makes you think Miami has a legitimate shot to win the championship?"

YOUR irrelevant question: "And you really think a worn down Heat team is going to beat a fresh Pistons squad?"

YOUR irrelevant question: "And where did you get the idea that the Heat could definitely beat the Spurs in a 7 game series?"

YOUR irrelevant question: "Are you on crack?"

YOUR irrelevant question: "By your own statement above Duncan would negate any advantage Shaq has and vice-versa, do you really think the Heat have better role players?"

YOU owned YOURSELF again, simp.

nowhere in YOUR OWN post do you affirmatively state which team would win if they faced each other. go on ahead and be a MAN, son. it's OK to make a prediction as long as you OWN UP TO IT in the end.

chump. :smh:

TimRock

Don't let me be misunderstood
BGOL Investor
I dont think the Kings had a chance anyway, but whats up with Artest? He needs help. Now bibby is out there all alone in game 2. Will the Spurs hand the Kings their second worse playoff loss in franchise history?

[FRAME]http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs2006/news/story?id=2419799[/FRAME]

TrojansFan

Potential Star
Registered
Re: pot calling kettle...

cranrab said:
were you talking to yourself, son?

when YOU do what you ask, then i will respond in kind. until then, let me remind you what YOU wrote. :smh:

YOUR irrelevant question: "What makes you think Miami has a legitimate shot to win the championship?"

YOUR irrelevant question: "And you really think a worn down Heat team is going to beat a fresh Pistons squad?"

YOUR irrelevant question: "And where did you get the idea that the Heat could definitely beat the Spurs in a 7 game series?"

YOUR irrelevant question: "Are you on crack?"

YOUR irrelevant question: "By your own statement above Duncan would negate any advantage Shaq has and vice-versa, do you really think the Heat have better role players?"

YOU owned YOURSELF again, simp.

nowhere in YOUR OWN post do you affirmatively state which team would win if they faced each other. go on ahead and be a MAN, son. it's OK to make a prediction as long as you OWN UP TO IT in the end.

chump. :smh:

Nobody ever asked for a prediction on who would win a a series between the Heat and Spurs. I was responding to xfactor's statement that the Heat would definitely beat the Spurs in a 7 game series. But if you want my prediction, the Heat would not win a 7 game series against the Spurs, but more importantly, they won't make it the Finals to face the Spurs.

I love how you can talk about everything except the issue, which was whether or not saying the Heat would definitely beat the Spurs is a stupid ass statement!!!

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor

TrojansFan said:
Nobody ever asked for a prediction on who would win a a series between the Heat and Spurs.

uh, what do you call this:

"if the heat and spurs did face each other in the finals, what would you estimate the outcome would be? winner? number of games required?"

TrojansFan said:
But if you want my prediction, the Heat would not win a 7 game series against the Spurs, but more importantly, they won't make it the Finals to face the Spurs.

why not?

TrojansFan said:
I love how you can talk about everything except the issue, which was whether or not saying the Heat would definitely beat the Spurs is a stupid ass statement!

ok. here you go: saying the heat would definitely beat the spurs is NOT a stupid ass statement. but i'll go farther. saying the spurs would definitely beat the heat is NOT a stupid ass statement.

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
Btw

while on the subject of stupid ass statements, what are these?

"The Clippers are locked into the 5th seed and will have to play either the Spurs or Mavericks"

"The Clippers have the 5th seed (and can't move up to fourth and likely won't move down to 6th)"

"Are you honestly saying that you see the Clippers beating the Spurs in a 7 game series??? Because that's what you are saying if you see them advancing to the 2nd round"

SpiritualPorn

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

RunawaySlave said:
Any team that depends on it's PG, SG and SF to lead the
team in rebounding and shot blocking is in big trouble
once playoff time starts....

We have no hammer in the paint. We are as soft as baby
shit. At the 1, 2 and 3 spots we can compete with anybody
but the 4 and 5 are both crapola

thing we had to a hammer

That I agree with.

NJ should have kept Keynon Martin

SpiritualPorn

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

TrojansFan said:
Don't play devil's advocate with me. If you think the Heat can win the championship this year say so. If you think the Heat can beat the Pistons say so. If you think the Heat can definitely beat the Spurs say so.
This is a bullshit post! If you believe in the Heat you come out and say so now make your prediction, don't come with this devil's advocate bullshit so you can later say "i was just playing devil's advocate"

All those questions you asked above are irrelavent to the topic. The topic was whether or not the Heat would definitely beat the Spurs not if it would be a competitive series. I can't stand the Spurs, but get fucking real no team in the league can definitely beat the Spurs! If the Pistons face the Spurs, I believe the Pistons would won the series but I wouldn't make the dumb ass statement they would definitely beat the Spurs.

So in conclusion cranrab, if you feel you need to respond to this come on record and say either Heat will or will not definitely beat the Spurs. I don't all the other bullshit to cloud the topic!

Unless I am playing the game I can't guarantee anything.

I am looking forward to the Pistons and the Heat. I really feel that Detroit is not the team everyone thinks they are. They are the least penalized team in the leauge. They are allowed to play defense without hesitation.

How do you see the Finals shaping up?

Let me know dude.

Thanks

TrojansFan

Potential Star
Registered

cranrab said:
ok. here you go: saying the heat would definitely beat the spurs is NOT a stupid ass statement.

So, just so I understand you correctly... you agree that the Heat will definitely beat the Spurs if they meet in the Finals?

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor

TrojansFan said:
So, just so I understand you correctly... you agree that the Heat will definitely beat the Spurs if they meet in the Finals?

yo, TF, is english your first? second language?

because you seem to have a poor grasp of it.

"saying the heat would definitely beat the spurs is NOT a stupid ass statement" DOES NOT EQUAL "the heat will definitely beat the spurs"

similarly,

"saying the spurs would definitely beat the heat is NOT a stupid ass statement" DOES NOT EQUAL "the spurs will definitely beat the spurs"

it DOES mean that NEITHER OF THE TWO CLAIMS would be a stupid ass statement...

english. learn it. damn.

TrojansFan

Potential Star
Registered

cranrab said:
yo, TF, is english your first? second language?

because you seem to have a poor grasp of it.

"saying the heat would definitely beat the spurs is NOT a stupid ass statement" DOES NOT EQUAL "the heat will definitely beat the spurs"

similarly,

"saying the spurs would definitely beat the heat is NOT a stupid ass statement" DOES NOT EQUAL "the spurs will definitely beat the spurs"

it DOES mean that NEITHER OF THE TWO CLAIMS would be a stupid ass statement...

english. learn it. damn.
All that talk and you still haven't answered the simple question will the Heat definietly beat the Spurs?

Just answer question. I don't have a problem with english, you just try to word your answers to avoid the question, so I am trying to get a clear answer from you. Just try responding with a "Yes (or No) the Heat will definitely beat the Spurs". Make it simple for me since you don't think I understand english.

And by the way one of the two statements would have to be a stupid ass statement because both teams can't definitely beat the other!!! The man didn't say the Heat have a chance to beat the Spurs, he said they definitely would! By the way, I think saying it either way is a stupid ass statement because any rational human being would admit that neither team would be guaranteed to win that series!

Last edited:

xfactor

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

TrojansFan said:
Nobody ever asked for a prediction on who would win a a series between the Heat and Spurs. I was responding to xfactor's statement that the Heat would definitely beat the Spurs in a 7 game series. But if you want my prediction, the Heat would not win a 7 game series against the Spurs, but more importantly, they won't make it the Finals to face the Spurs.

I love how you can talk about everything except the issue, which was whether or not saying the Heat would definitely beat the Spurs is a stupid ass statement!!!

will2 ( P ) Pronunciation Key (wl)
aux.v. Past tense would (wd)

a) Used to indicate simple futurity: They will appear later.

b) Used to indicate likelihood or certainty: You will regret this.

xfactor said:

can1 ( P ) Pronunciation Key (kn; kn when unstressed)
aux.v. Past tense could (kd)

a) Used to indicate possibility or probability: I wonder if my long lost neighbor can still be alive. Such things can and do happen.

b) Used to indicate that which is permitted, as by conscience or feelings: One can hardly blame you for being upset.

c) Used to indicate probability or possibility under the specified circumstances: They can hardly have intended to do that.

:smh: Kind of hard to debate with guys when they like to put words in your mouth when the text stats otherwise.

TF,

Once you admit that you fucked up the reading of my statement my putting your emphasis on the wrong word 'definitely' and misunderstood the difference between 'can' and 'will' I will gladly reply with why I think the Heat can go all the way.

Last edited:

TrojansFan

Potential Star
Registered

xfactor said:
will2 ( P ) Pronunciation Key (wl)
aux.v. Past tense would (wd)

a) Used to indicate simple futurity: They will appear later.

b) Used to indicate likelihood or certainty: You will regret this.

can1 ( P ) Pronunciation Key (kn; kn when unstressed)
aux.v. Past tense could (kd)

a) Used to indicate possibility or probability: I wonder if my long lost neighbor can still be alive. Such things can and do happen.

b) Used to indicate that which is permitted, as by conscience or feelings: One can hardly blame you for being upset.

c) Used to indicate probability or possibility under the specified circumstances: They can hardly have intended to do that.

:smh: Kind of hard to debate with guys when they like to put words in your mouth when the text stats otherwise.

TF,

Once you admit that you fucked up the reading of my statement my putting your emphasis on the wrong word 'definitely' and misunderstood the difference between 'can' and 'will' I will gladly reply with why I think the Heat can go all the way.

Since you want to define words...

definite (adj) - indisputable, certain

I didn't misqoute you or place emphasis on the wrong word. By you putting that word in there you were saying it was a certainy that the Heat would beat the Spurs. If you believe that it is just a possibility that the Heat can beat Spurs, I have no argument with that statement. But you are the one who fucked up by saying "definitely". I AM NOT A MIND READER SO WHEN YOU SAID DEFINITELY I ASSUMED YOU MEANT DEFINITELY. It was your misuse of the word, not mine, so you can keep your English lessons!!!

(But don't worry because your buddy cranrab seems to think the Heat will definitely beat the Spurs since he has yet to say otherwise)

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
don't feel bad

RunawaySlave said:
thing we had to a hammer

now he's still sitting on the bench...

Nuggets suspend K-Mart indefinitely
/ Associated Press
Posted: 11 minutes ago

DENVER (AP) - Kenyon Martin was unhappy about his limited playing time in Denver's playoff series against the Los Angeles Clippers. Now he won't be suiting up for the Nuggets at all.

The Nuggets suspended their forward indefinitely on Tuesday night for what they called detrimental conduct.

"This is an internal matter that we will deal with in-house," coach George Karl said in a statement.

Martin, who has been bothered by knee tendinitis all season, was dejected over his limited playing time in Game 2 Monday night, when he played sparingly in the first half and sat out the second half of Denver's 98-87 loss to the Clippers.

Martin didn't arrive on the Nuggets bench until several minutes into the third quarter and then sat with a towel over his head. He left the arena without comment, but teammate Ruben Patterson suggested Martin felt he could have played and was frustrated that he had been held out.

Hours before suspending him, Karl seemed miffed that Martin was upset over his benching.

"I will talk to him and see what's happening," Karl said Tuesday afternoon. "He told me and the staff at halftime that he couldn't go. Now, there's stuff filtering out that there's frustration there. We'll see."

Martin apparently banged his bothersome left knee in the first half while going against Elton Brand.

"He's got a heck of a matchup," Karl said. "The guy is a very physical player. I don't think people understand how big that man is. He's 260, maybe 270 pounds. I'm sure he not only hit Martin's knee, but probably hit a lot of other parts of the body."

Besides, "it's been a year of frustration for everybody," said Karl, who watched forward Nene go down for the season with a knee injury in the opener, then had to juggle his lineup all season with injuries to Martin and center Marcus Camby.

"We've always worked through it. We've always picked ourselves up," Karl said. "I trust this team is going to do the same thing on Thursday."

Before deciding to suspend Martin, Karl was asked why he wasn't giving him more minutes.

"Well, it is hard for me to visualize him actually playing 20 minutes of basketball again because he doesn't participate in practice very often. He just wants to play in the games," Karl said. "That philosophically doesn't make any sense to me. I think he has a big-time heart. I think he is a big-time competitor and he did a heck of a job in the second half against Brand for Game 1.

"Right now I evaluate all my players. I think Carmelo is going to go a lot of minutes, Andre (Miller) is going to get a lot of minutes, Marcus is going to get a lot of minutes. After that I have no idea who is going to get the minutes. It's the guy who earns the minutes and who plays the way we want him to play."

Game 3 of the best-of-seven series is Thursday night at the Pepsi Center.

The Nuggets are accustomed to playing without Martin, who has been bothered all season by his surgically repaired left knee and began regularly sitting out games over the last month in hopes he'd be better for the playoffs, where he has traditionally stepped up his game.

He had six points and two boards in the Nuggets' 111-109 loss in Game 1, and was scoreless with one rebound in just under seven minutes in Denver's loss in Game 2.

SpiritualPorn

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Nash to be MVP?

Source: Nash to be MVP
Suns guard would be 10th player to win award in consecutive seasons

Paul Coro
The Arizona Republic
Apr. 26, 2006 12:00 AM

Suns star Steve Nash will be named the NBA's Most Valuable Player for a second straight season, according to a league source familiar with the voting.

The announcement may not come for two weeks, like last season's May 8 ceremony. The votes have been tabulated in what was expected to be a close race with LeBron James, Dirk Nowitzki, Chauncey Billups and Kobe Bryant.

Nash won the fourth-closest MVP vote last year, edging Shaquille O'Neal a year after Nash was not even an All-Star.
advertisement

Nash, 32, impressed voters this season by posting career highs in scoring (18.8 points per game), rebounding (4.2 per game), field goal percentage (.512) and free-throw percentage (NBA-best .921). He led the league in assists again with 10.5 per game and finished sixth in three-point shooting (43.9 percent).

After Amaré Stoudemire's knee surgery deprived the Suns of their top scorer, Nash led the team to 54 wins and its first repeat division title with only Shawn Marion and Leandro Barbosa back for a full season.

Nash would be the first international and Suns player to win twice.

Only nine previous players repeated as MVP winners. Magic Johnson was the only point guard to do so.

Any confirmation of this?

Let me know

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
my nets v. pacers prediction is already blown...

WHOA...

did anybody catch that jermaine o'neal performance tonight?

damn. people wanna talk about TAKING OVER A GAME? shit, you need to watch that game film...

jermaine o'neal had jason collins' ass firmly planted on the pine, and poor cliff robinson couldn't do much better...

maybe coach carlisle took a page out of the coach jackson's book and decided to pound THE INSIDE MAN.

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
Cranrab Wrong!

cranrab said:
nuggets over clippers - 6 games (i'm rooting for the clippers, so i wouldn't mind being wrong)

i HAPPILY and FREELY admit that i was completely wrong about this outcome...

congratulations to the los angeles clippers, whose FRANCHISE had not been to the semis since 1976. whose FRANCHISE had not had 47 wins or more since 1975.

keep rolling, clippers. too bad elton brand wasn't more seriously considered for MVP voting...

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
Re: 1st round

cranrab said:
mavericks over grizzlies - 4 games

THANK GOD this stinker is over. it was hard to stomach 2 teams that featured starting euros...

good riddance pau gasol.