I also feel the players only have themselves to blame for
this....If they just came to play, instead of all this idiotic
"bling" they gotta sport....they would at least have some
sort of defense against what Stern is trying to do....But
when you see how some of these "men" present themselves
while representing the NBA (and themselves), you sort
of understand why Stern did what he did. Not agree with
it....but understand it

Real shit. You are absolutely right these atheletes are modern day slaves. Just because they are high paid does not negate the controll the master has over them. The players are the league yet they let these white men control every aspect of there lives and look at the NBA like its a blessing.

Bottom line is we need a black owned league. Otherwise these weak minded atheletes will continue to get pimped and exploited.

HandsSolo2K5

Star
Registered
Modern Day Slavery..... A little Heavy Handed arent you? AGAIN, EVERY BUSINESS HAS THE RIGHT TO ENFORCE A DRESS CODE..... WHAT IS SO HARD TO UNDERSTAND ABOUT THAT......? We ALL are slaves if we work for corporations.......and it does not matter what color you are.......Well, it is not anything remotely unconstitutional so why even pay it so much mind..... We Blacks truly have came a long way to bitch and moan about a superficial dress code and equate it to slavery. I do agree with you on one thing, the players DID force it on themselves :angry:

Plus, not to dissent with you too much Runaway, but when players like Marbury, Eddy Curry, and many others became more concerned with sporting their Hummer or Escalade and hos instead of winning games, of course the league is going to check them......

Last edited:

HandsSolo2K5

Star
Registered
Temujin said:
Real shit. You are absolutely right these atheletes are modern day slaves. Just because they are high paid does not negate the controll the master has over them. The players are the league yet they let these white men control every aspect of there lives and look at the NBA like its a blessing.

Bottom line is we need a black owned league. Otherwise these weak minded atheletes will continue to get pimped and exploited.
THE WHITE MAN CONTROLS EVERY ASPECT OF OUR LIVES OUTSIDE OF ATHLETICS, IT IS CALLED AMERICA, STOP ACTING AS YOU ARE LIVING UP UNDER A ROCK TEMUJIN..... :smh: I THOUGHT THAT WAS WHAT THE MATRIX WAS ABOUT.......NOW IF THE PLAYERS HAD THE BALLS TO CREATE THEIR OWN LEAGUE, THEY SHOULD...... BUT THEY WILL PROBABLY BE AS CATTY AND UN-UNIFIED AS EVERY OTHER ORGANIZATION (NAACP,SCLC, NOI)

RunawaySlave

Zeitgeist
BGOL Investor
Here's a scenario that might help explain what I'm saying:
I'm an NBA player (or any high-priced, modern day, athlete)
I live 2.5 miles away from the stadium I play in......
Instead of taking a limo service to the stadium, or drive in
I decide I wanna JOG to work to get warmed up to play. Or
ride a bike to "work"

Think the team would let me do it??(rhetorical)​

HandsSolo2K5

Star
Registered
RunawaySlave said:
Here's a scenario that might help explain what I'm saying:
I'm an NBA player (or any high-priced, modern day, athlete)
I live 2.5 miles away from the stadium I play in......
Instead of taking a limo service to the stadium, or drive in
I decide I wanna JOG to work to get warmed up to play. Or
ride a bike to "work"

Think the team would let me do it??(rhetorical)​
You could do whatever you want, make sure you are in that suit for that team meeting or seminar.....

JTIMMY

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
Yea but what's next, telling you where to live. what to drive. Seems like a step backwards to me.

O

originalman

Damn I wish brotha zero was on here to talk about this shit. Him and I had a conversation about race and sports a few weeks ago and we were talking about the samne shit.

Anyway this B.S. dress code has been put in place to please whites and bring them back to the NBA. But what the stern dumb ass doesn't realize is that having players dress in suits will not bring white americans back to watch the sport.

Because:

1. The are fewer white american players in the game then ever before.

2. The best white american player is Brad Miller. I repeat Brad Miller!!!

3. The league is 77% black

4. Most of the 77% black players are millionaires

5. A portion of the 77% black players in the league never went to college.

6. The Best players at every position are Black. (At least in football and Baseball there are positions that some white players are considered the best at their position, think how many whites would be upset if the best NFL QBs were black or that only 4 white QBs had starting positions in the league. Whites would stop watching the NFL)

7. The league has less talent, not because of players not going to college. But because there are too many teams (30 teams). The league is watered down, its been watered down since the early 90's. There should only be 24 to 25 teams not 30.

As the ratings have increased among blacks and foreign people. The rating among white americans has decreased. While during the same time span the number of white american players has decreased.

Shit if dirk and ginobili were white american players with american names. They would be the most popular players in the league.

Trust me the NBA just needs 1 great white american player and the ratings among white america would increase. Especially if that white american player would play in a large market city like Boston, NY, Chicago, LA.

Last the NBA will always, I repeat always have an issue every generation attracting white customers and viewers to the sport. The league had the same issue in the late 70s. When white folks felt the league was over run by black hoodlums with their afros, drug habits and rich contracts. The ratings sucked and the league had the finals on tape delay. Then magic and the great white hero larry legend appeared and white folks began to watch. In the 60s many whites didn't like the fact that blacks were bring a play ground style of game to the sport with crossover dribbles and behind the back passes.

Believe me this shit will be an issue again in another 25 years. Ain't no way you can have a sport that is prodominently black and where the best players are black and millionaires. And white folks gonna be cool about it.

But like I said that jew stern better worry about finding the next great white american player. Then worrying about how these kats are dressed. Cause putting ron artest in a suit ain't gonna get white america to watch the games. Shit even though most polls say that folks especially white folks like the idea of them kats dressing up. Ain't none of them polls said shit about them folks wanting to go see the games now that they are dresses nice.

Jew stern better

1. Make it a rule that every team has to carry 4 white american players on their team.

2. Every NBA player has to play for only $20,000 a year.

3. Find a great white american player.

4. Every american born player has to finish college before he can go pro. Except the Euro players can go to the pros at 18. (Just like that B.S. age limit where every american player can come to the NBA at 19, but the Euro players can come to the NBA at 18)

Stern implements these rules and white folks will come running back to the game. No more so called uneducated black players making more money then they will in their life time. A great white american player to watch beat and show up them dumb athletic colored boys. 4 white players on every team so whites won't feel that they are unable to compete with blacks in basketball.

Havoc

Support BGOL
Registered
While I don't agree that Euro players should be allowed to go to the league at the age of 18, I still feel as though some of the stuff that you, originalman, are saying is just another part of a racial conspiracy theory.

Of course the NBA is going to be dressed up; the stuff that the players are wearing now are NOT appealing to its target audience (white male). Perhaps more importantly, David Stern has support from other black athletes, like Shaq, who support the dress code. It's not really that much of a big deal.

You can spend $50, 000 on a diamond pendant, but you can't spend $500 on a pair of khakis, dress shoes, white dress shirt, tie, and a sports jacket? All of that costs under $500.

O

originalman

You can believe what ever you want Havoc. But the fact remains that dressing these players up in suits isn't going to bring back the target audience which is white folks. Shit of all those people especially white folks who were polled about them liking the league having a dress code. I bet not even 2% said that the dress code would make them more likely to go or watch the games. So the fact remains this dress code doesn't do shitfor the league. Big deal the 3 most hated NBA players in the league in white folks eyes KOBE, Sprewell and Artest are now dressed in suits. Wow great I am sure white folks will be running to the games now!!!

Load of shit, you want to get white folks in the seats get some white american boys who can play!!! I don't care if you have to grow them mothafuckas in a tube.

Shit people love to tune into sports when they see folks who are similair to them. Shit black folks never gave a fuck in general about tennis and Golf until Tiger and the williams sisters came along to beat the shit out of folks. Hell if nascar had a great black driver who wins, black folks would be watching that shit too.

White folks ain't no different, get some great white american NBA players and the ratings amoung whites will increase. You can put your money on that shit!!!

Like I sad before if Brad Miller is the best white american player in the league, you got a fucking problem on your hands!!!!

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
relax

1. suits are not required
  2. ties are not required
  3. dress jeans are acceptable
  4. dress boots are acceptable
  5. team warm ups can be worn exiting the venue
  6. sport coats (not suits, not ties) are required
  7. dress shirts can be short sleeved

too much is being made of this... dress codes in sports been around for as long as i can remember being involved in them...

the subject was even covered in 'remember the titans' and 'coach carter'