National Review: If McCain Loses North Carolina, He Loses the Election (NC Heads!)

keysersoze

Star
Registered
Conservative National Review Magazine made a bold declaration that if McCain loses NC, he's going to lose the election.

They have some tips on helping McCain beat Obama there, including getting the voters from the Eastern part of NC.

NC peeps, you know what you gotta do!

TOMORROW IS THE LAST DAY TO REGISTER TO VOTE IN North Carolina!!

voter_053008.preview.jpg

Losing North Carolina

By Doug Heye

North Carolina was not supposed to be part of the discussion.

Once the Democratic primary was over, the state that had not voted for a Democratic president since 1976 — and had not been competitive since 1992 — was supposed to go quietly into its predictable “red” column and not be heard from again. It hasn’t worked out that way. Here we are in October with the candidates spending precious time in the state. And, according to which polls you see, either the Senator Barack Obama has a two-point lead or the race is at a 49-49 deadlock.
To those on the outside, North Carolina is seen as bedrock of southern conservatism, a state that gave rise to the career of Sen. Jesse Helms and gave Ronald Reagan a crucial 1976 primary victory. It is not a state, the conventional wisdom held, that could well cast its electoral votes for a Democrat and the first black nominee.

The reality within the state, however, is different. For starters, the state has long held a progressive streak, which propelled the careers of Democrats Terry Sanford and Frank Porter Graham and explains the tendency of voters to vote for Helms and John Edwards. The state also has a tendency to support Democrats for state offices, even while voting Republican for president or Senate. It’s a state that has become more “purple” over the years, as northerners flee high property taxes in New Jersey and New York and retire or relocate in growing areas throughout the state. North Carolina also has a large African-American population, estimated last year by the U.S. Census to be just over one quarter of the population.

In other words, Obama may have always had a shot here. Add to the demographic mix the current economic climate and especially the collapse of Charlotte-based Wachovia, who also has significant operations in Winston-Salem, and you have a state decidedly in play.

For Sen. John McCain to win what has become a battleground state, he will have to look back to May and take a few pages from the campaign playbook of Sen. Hillary Clinton. Clinton made a concerted effort to target conservative Democrats uncomfortable with Obama’s liberal record. She essentially ran a Republican campaign in a Democratic primary; appearing on programs such as The O’Reilly Factor and courting local press in conservative vote rich eastern North Carolina, including small but influential conservative newspapers such as the Dunn Daily Record.

Although Clinton did not win North Carolina, her campaign can serve as a road map for McCain to find the conservative Democrats and swing voters he needs to carry the state.

The Clinton campaign made it clear — they were targeting the East. It was a smart strategy — even for Democrats. Heck, maybe especially for Democrats, as North Carolina races are often won or lost in the East. In campaign after campaign, a dominant narrative among political reporters and observers has been the battle for the East.

Eastern North Carolina, as the Clinton campaign knew well, is a conservative area. It’s still the home of voters known as “Jessecrats,” conservative Democrats who generally vote Republican.

In addition, eastern North Carolina is flush with military and veteran voters predisposed to support McCain. In a state with the second highest population of military personnel in the nation, the overwhelming majority of personnel are found near military installations in eastern North Carolina such a Fort Bragg, Pope AFB, Seymour Johnson AFB and Cherry Point Air Station. These are McCain voters.

The McCain campaign was smart to send Governor Sarah Palin to Greenville, the largest city — and largest media market — in northeastern North Carolina. Swing voters in the region have shown a tendency to support Republican candidates. In 2004, the Northeast gave Senator Richard Burr his second highest margin of swing voters in the state — second only to his home region of the Triad.

McCain needs the South to be a Solid South. Without North Carolina, it is nearly impossible to see any scenario for a McCain victory. The recent poll numbers — and that Obama outspent McCain by more than $1M in the state just last week — are cause for concern. But even at this late date, we are still a long way out..

The North Carolina presidential race will be won in the east. Campaign after campaign has been fought there.

In the Democratic primary, Hillary Clinton demonstrated that there were a lot of North Carolina Democrats uneasy with Barack Obama. Her campaign essentially signaled who those voters were and where they lived.

Now it’s up to McCain to get them.

younghustla

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Re: National Review: If McCain Loses North Carolina, He Loses the Election (NC Heads!

BUMP for my brothers and sisters in NC!

thacoldest

Support BGOL
Registered
Re: National Review: If McCain Loses North Carolina, He Loses the Election (NC Heads!

1 NC vote for Obama right here!!

Z MONSTER

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

10/10/08 is the last day to register. Yes we are going to come out to vote. The only block of black voters im worried about is the young cats (18-20).

keysersoze

Star
Registered

10/10/08 is the last day to register. Yes we are going to come out to vote. The only block of black voters im worried about is the young cats (18-20).

Even after that day, they can still go into the early voting areas and register/vote on same day.

Friday Last Day to Register to Vote in North Carolina

(but wait, it's not technically the last day!)​

WILMINGTON, NC (2008-10-08)

Friday is last day to register to vote on Election Day. After Friday, people can visit One Stop Voting Sites, where they can simultaneously register to vote and cast early ballots.
A record 850,000 new voters have number of have registered to vote in North Carolina.
Election Day may be hectic, so North Carolina State Board of Elections director Gary Bartlett encourages people to vote early.
"The more people who vote early, the less congestion there will be on Election Day. Plus, the voter has the convenience of picking the time they go and exercise their right to vote," says Bartlett.
Bartlett anticipates about 35 percent of North Carolinians will cast early ballots. Regardless of how people vote, Bartlett encourages residents to participate in the election.
"Look and see if early voting works for them. And if you miss that chance, then you have Election Day. But remember, there is going to be heavy participation on Election Day. So have patience, but please exercise your right to vote", says Bartlett.
The One Stop Voting starts October 16, and runs until November 1.

BDR

BeatDownRecs
BGOL Investor

If McCain loses any of the swing states he loses the election :lol:

LennyNero1972

Sleeping Deity.
BGOL Investor

Why do I get he feeling California is going to be he deciding state?

Southland_Tales_poster.jpg

keysersoze

Star
Registered

Obama need to take all those swing states. leave no stone unturned

For me, I want him to take NC and Florida because I'm tired of Republicans talking about the SOLID SOUTH. :angry:

Tazirai

Star
Registered

The Campaign office has been VERY busy all week here in Raleigh. So I think we're gonna go all out. These last couple weeks, I think Obama will take NC.

Rhalo

Potential Star
Registered

610x.jpg
:dance:

vader

Star
Registered

Obama is going to with with or w/o NC, McCain is doomed......:yes:

m2m

Star
Registered

Come on NC

VINYLMAGNET-PANTHERS.jpg

HeathCliff

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

I made a post about this about two months ago.
http://www.bgol.us/board/showthread.php?t=296153

As of now, the Democrats enjoy a 780,000 surplus of registered voters over Republicans in that state. There are over 1.2M black folks registered.

If both parties turn out 85% of their bases and split the independents down the middle, it's a landslide for Obama. However, I'm not counting on that to happen but I think in order for him to win, he'll need to win at least 40% of the white vote.

TakeThaShot

Potential Star
Registered

Why do I get he feeling California is going to be he deciding state?

Southland_Tales_poster.jpg

Cali's going blue with Hollywood here in the south and gays in the north. Hollywood is hurting because of budgets for development projects are not being released in lieu of the stock market. Anyone here from Los Angeles working in entertainment will tell you that it trickles down fast to PA, AC, DP, Line Producers, Grips and other production positions are effected immediately. I have one project in option now and I'm afraid it won't get a budget before the end of the year. The only hope I really have is it's reality tv. That budget is far less than scripted shows.

DjMorpheus

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

I made a post about this about two months ago.
http://www.bgol.us/board/showthread.php?t=296153

As of now, the Democrats enjoy a 780,000 surplus of registered voters over Republicans in that state. There are over 1.2M black folks registered.

If both parties turn out 85% of their bases and split the independents down the middle, it's a landslide for Obama. However, I'm not counting on that to happen but I think in order for him to win, he'll need to win at least 40% of the white vote.
That's the info I was looking for. It's all a numbers game. How many newly registered voters? That's why the map has changed so drastically this time.

keysersoze

Star
Registered

No Democratic candidate has won NC for a long time. Even Clinton lost it to Bob Dole and Dole is/was more lame than McCain.

hendu

Potential Star

No Democratic candidate has won NC for a long time. Even Clinton lost it to Bob Dole and Dole is/was more lame than McCain.

True, when Gore ran there was a huge buzz around the state but no cigar. All in all though, when you look at the number of registered blacks and dems in the state this year, the focus Pres. Obama and First Lady O (I like that shit) have put on coming here recently, I think we have turned the corner.

Niggas here quoting Jeezy, " It's a no hands policy, you touch'em, its on!":lol:

afroyale

Star
Registered

Conservative National Review Magazine made a bold declaration that if McCain loses NC, he's going to lose the election.

They have some tips on helping McCain beat Obama there, including getting the voters from the Eastern part of NC.

NC peeps, you know what you gotta do!

TOMORROW IS THE LAST DAY TO REGISTER TO VOTE IN North Carolina!!

voter_053008.preview.jpg

Don't worry, we got this!

Even if some knuckleheads forgets to register, we have one-stop shop from 10/16 to 11/1 -- register and vote at once.

Chill, we got this game on lock.

One Stop Sites: http://www.sboe.state.nc.us/content.aspx?id=17

tdotlocs

Support BGOL
Registered

Bring in NC my peeps.

Keep it coming. NC and Georgia are in serious play son.

:dance::dance:

Rorschach

Potential Star
Registered

I go to school out here in eastern NC. We're mobilizing a bunch of students for Obama to go march to the polls on the 16th, the first day of early voting. I'm not registered at school so I'm voting the next day at home.