My time in Palestine (requested post)

TheFuser

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
This was the walk up to Khan al-Ahmar. I have more pics, especially of the highway to show it's in the middle of nowhere, but I gotta find them.

xqoOnxl_d.jpg
QRDxgdJ_d.jpg
R0OqhRI_d.jpg

TheFuser

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
This is the school. I have a video I'm uploading of it too.
I didn't take pics of the tent because it just seemed wrong.
Also didn't take any pics with the kids of the village because
I didn't wanna be like some fucking white lady in Africa taking
pics of the locals because fuck that.

C4Ds3lV_d.jpg

97q1pb8_d.jpg

TheFuser

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Yo, also, feel free to ask any questions if yall got em. I don't pretend to be an expert, but if I know some shit, I'll add some insight

TheFuser

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
First and formost great post , very insightful. How much was the trip in total ?You say the tripped changed you , in what way ?

I went as part of a delegation so my trip was paid for. I'm going back on my own dime though so I'll let you know when I do. Only thing I really paid for was food and souvenirs and shit. Drinks. And that's another thing. I feel like so many people think Palestine is this super fundamentalist place. The media will tell you that. But I had drinks and hookah in Ramallah. Drinks in a bar with Palestinians in Jerusalem. It's not this repressed ass place. It's just under developed and that's done on purpose by the Israeli government.

My life was changed because I've never felt so connected to a greater brotherhood in my life. We feel so isolated in the states. We don't even feel connected to other black folks in the diaspora. We be having African vs African American debates. West Indian vs African American beefs. And all that shit is part of the plan of white supremacy. So why would we ever feel connected to people who aint us? To people who have shown once they get here they fall in line with the white supremacy hierarchy? Talking with the Palestinians AND ESPECIALLY Afro-Palestinians, I saw how connected we all are, and how we are really fighting the same enemy, white supremacy.

I remember first seeing how connected we are on Twitter when folks IN Gaza were tweeting at folks in Ferguson to show not only solidarity, but also how to treat tear gas injuries. There's a reason Israel then passed laws to quell that shit.

And while I will never compare myself to his greatness, but I imagine it's how Brother Malcolm felt when he took his hajj. When he saw a greater brotherhood. When he saw the greater fight. And THAT'S the shit that scared the US. The US, EU, UK and Israel are fucking terrified at the thought of our solidarity. And that's why they went so hard at Marc Lamont Hill for speaking the truth in the UN on Palestinian Solidarity Day. They tried to pretend it was the "From the river to the sea" phrase, but that's horseshit because Israeli governemtn officials use it all the time. But his stance is in the tradition of Black Power. Malcolm showed love to Palestinians. Huey was IN Palestine showing them love. Stokely spoke in favor of our solidarity. Mandela said that South African freedom is incomplete without the freedom of Palestinians too.

Mr. Del

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I can't hit the like button on every post. But this was very informative. I like reading ppl's experiences in new places. OP did a great job, very descriptive. Props.

VAiz4hustlaz

Proud ADOS and not afraid to step to da mic!
BGOL Investor
This was a great thread! Very interesting and informative read.

The article below came out a couple of days ago and has been prompting a lot of reactions, especially considering that he was a former CIA Director.

Why Biden Must Watch This Palestinian Movie
April 27, 2021

By John Brennan
Mr. Brennan was the director of the C.I.A. from 2013 to 2017.

On a recent evening I watched “The Present,” a short film by Farah Nabulsi, a Palestinian filmmaker, which was nominated for an Academy Award for live-action short film. (The winner in the category was “Two Distant Strangers.”) Ms. Nabulsi’s 25-minute film is a powerful, heartbreaking account of the travails of Yusuf, a Palestinian man, and Yasmine, his young daughter, as they traverse an Israeli military checkpoint in the West Bank twice in a single day.

“The Present” establishes its context quickly, opening with images of Palestinian men making their way through a narrow passageway at one of the numerous checkpoints that dot the Israeli-occupied West Bank. Palestinians going to work, visiting family or shopping on the opposite side of a security barrier have to bear this humiliating procedure every day.

Yusuf sets out with Yasmine to buy an anniversary gift for his wife. He is held in a chain-link holding pen. The ostensible reason is that the Israeli guards want to search him and his possessions more thoroughly. Yasmine sits nearby, watching and waiting in silence.

The scene brought back memories of my first visit to the West Bank in 1975, when I crossed the Jordan River and arrived at an Israeli security post. As a student at the American University in Cairo, I was excited about visiting Jerusalem and spending Christmas Eve in Bethlehem. I joined a relatively short line, which moved at a steady and efficient pace.

A few feet away, I could see men, women and children in a much longer line fully enclosed by steel mesh fencing labeled “Palestinians and Arabs.” I saw several subjected to discourtesy and aggressive searches by Israeli soldiers.

While I was distressed by what I saw, I knew that Israel had legitimate security concerns in the aftermath of the 1967 and 1973 wars, worries that had been heightened by attacks on Israeli and Jewish targets by Palestinian terrorist organizations.

Half a century has passed, and the political and security landscape of the Middle East has profoundly changed.

Israel has signed peace treaties with Egypt and Jordan. The Abraham Accords, brokered by the United States last year, have paved the way for four more Arab states — the United Arab Emirates, Bahrain, Sudan and Morocco — to establish diplomatic relations with Israel. Hopefully, more Arab leaders will follow suit as there is no reason and little geostrategic sense in continuing to deny the reality and permanence of the state of Israel. (Unfortunately, the accords did nothing for the Palestinians except to obtain a suspension of Israeli plans to illegally annex the West Bank.)

There also has been significant progress in reducing violence carried out by Palestinians inside and outside the occupied territories. The exception is Hamas, which continues to launch rocket attacks into Israel from the Gaza Strip.

In the West Bank, Palestinian security and intelligence services have worked closely with their Israeli, Arab and Western counterparts to disrupt extremist networks and prevent attacks. These Palestinian agencies have demonstrated an impressive degree of professionalism over the past two decades.

Despite sharply reduced tensions between Israel and the Arab world, the Palestinian people themselves have seen no appreciable progress in their quest to live in their own sovereign state. Political fissures and the ineffective political leadership of the Palestinian Authority have contributed to stymying ambitions for Palestinian nationhood.

But that could change. Legislative elections in May and presidential elections in July in the West Bank and Gaza offer Palestinians an opportunity to elect representatives capable of conducting a more effectual political dialogue within the Palestinian homeland and beyond. Palestinian candidates who do not bear the sclerotic reputations of political incumbents, if elected, would help soften the deep-rooted cynicism that many Israeli officials display toward Palestinian negotiators.

The major hurdle will be to reverse the trend of diminished interest that the Israeli government has shown in pursuing a two-state solution. Israel’s prime minister, Benjamin Netanyahu, has spearheaded relentless expansion of settlements in the West Bank. That expansion has brought along more concrete walls, security barriers and control points, further reducing the spaces where Palestinians can live, graze their flocks, tend their olive groves and vegetable gardens without being challenged by their occupiers.

Unfortunately, during the Trump years, the United States ignored Palestinian interests and aspirations. Mr. Trump moved the American Embassy in Israel to Jerusalem, rejecting the position of all previous U.S. administrations that it would endanger final status negotiations on that contested city. He senselessly severed funding to the Palestinian Authority and ended our contributions to the United Nations for Palestinian refugee assistance.
In a welcome change, the Biden administration has authorized the release of $235 million for humanitarian, economic and development programs supporting Palestinians in the West Bank, Gaza and elsewhere in the region.

The concluding scene of “The Present” shows Yusuf, tired and hobbled with back pain, increasingly angry and on the verge of violence as he attempts to return home with the anniversary gift. His chilling, emotional outburst made me think of the frustration felt by every Palestinian who has to live with the stifling security measures and political oppression attendant to Israel’s military occupation.

It was his little daughter, Yasmine, though, who gave me most pause and concern. She watched her father’s patience, dignity and humanity steadily erode.

I can only imagine the imprint such experiences have on the young girls and boys who live in the West Bank and Gaza Strip. They grow up traumatized by injustice, discrimination and violence. They live with the feeling that their existence is controlled by people who don’t care about their welfare, their safety or their future.

The Biden administration is dealing with a dizzying array of domestic and international problems but the Palestinian quest for statehood deserves the early engagement of his national security team. The United States needs to tell Israeli leaders to cease provocative settlement construction and the sort of oppressive security practices depicted in “The Present.”

A clear signal from President Biden that he expects and is ready to facilitate serious Israeli-Palestinian discussions on a two-state solution would be of great political significance.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/27/opinion/biden-palestine-israel-the-present.html

VAiz4hustlaz

BGOL Investor
Akka or Acre or Akko

Different people spell the city differently, but the Palestinians I was around spelled it Acca or Akka. Akka is on the Meditteranean north of Haifa heading toward the Golan Heights and about 10 or so miles from the Lebanon border. It was absolutely beautiful. Had some of the best seafood I’ve ever had. Though not in 48 (or the green line as some call it… which is fancy for saying “Not the West Bank or Gaza”), it has a strong Palestinian presence and the Zionist are trying to fuck that all up. They make rules to take their property and redistribute it. One such rule has been playing heavy in the news lately in Jerusalem. What happens is, let’s say you get married, and you wanna expand the structures on your property. You gotta get permits to do it. Which is no different than the states. The difference is, 90-95% of the requested permits are DENIED. And that’s done on purpose. So you can’t expand on your own property. So if you grow your family, tough! So Palestinians who need to do it, do it anyway. And if/when they’re caught, Israel demolishes EVERYTHING, not just the expanded part, and sends the Palestinians the demolishing bill. That’s happening a lot in Akka right now because the land is lush and Zionist want it for expansion.

One of the dopest and most humbling things I saw during the trip happened in Akka. We were touring when we ran into this woman our organizer knows. He’d interviewed her before. She’s a Palestinian American who was born and raised in the States because her father wasn’t allowed back into Palestine after the Nakba. He was with her. It was his first time back in his homeland since 1948. Seventy fucking years. Homie is 80 years old (and doesn’t look a day over 65) and walked around Akka in tears. Happy to be visiting his home. Sad to see his home in occupation. All I could think of was, 70 fucking years. 70!

There are high walls bordering the Mediteranean in Akka. And it’s a rite of passage for the teenaged boys to dive off the wall into the deep water. Our guide asked if I was down to do it. Kindly let him know I was not. I strongly recommend visiting Akka in the north if/when you visit Israel Palestine.

VAiz4hustlaz

BGOL Investor
Khan al-Ahmar Bedouin Village

Most of our group had departed back to the states and we dropped off our overall guide at the checkpoint leading to Ramallah, and the bus/van took the rest of us back to Jerusalem where we checked back into a hotel. The host had been dying to go to this hillside restaurant in the West Bank between Jerusale and Bethlehem. We took taxis to the spot, and the food was fucking amazing. I have pics of the view somewhere. I’ll find them and post.

While we were at the restaurant, the host decided he wanted to go to Khan al-Ahmar to speak with the people there. At the time, I had no fucking idea what it was, but I’m always with the shits. I asked him what it was, and he explained it was a Bedoiun village (remember we met those Bedouin folks who were excited to meet us in Haifa… different village though). The word Bedoiun translates loosely to “Desert Dweller” and Bedouins are nomadic people who stretch from North Africa, across the Arabian Peninsula and up through Palestine and beyond. Why Khan al-Ahmar is so well known is they made international news in 2018. Years prior they were forced to leave their lands in the South by Israelis who wanted their land for settlers. It’s considered a war crime by the Geneva Convention to relocate people in occupied territory. The world did nothing. In 2018, in the land they were moved to, they applied for permits to build a school. Israel denied the permits (because they always do). The citizens of Khan al-Ahma built the school anyway…. OUT OF MUD AND TIRES!!! When Israel found out, they scheduled the school and the entire village for demolition and for them to be relocated further north (more war crimes) to land near a garbage dump.

When we told the taxi drivers where we wanted to go, they looked at us confused. But they took us anyway. Khan al-Ahmar is in the middle of the desert between Jerusalem and Jericho. Literally on the road to Jericho. The taxi drivers dropped us off in the middle of nowhere and stayed with their cars. We crossed the highway and walked up to the village, which is completely off the grid. No running water, and they’re not on the electric grid. The little electricity they do have is from donated solar panels.

As we walked up the road leading to the village. Kids were outside playing. They signaled for the adults, and soon an elder walked up to us. Our host explained who we were, and why we were there, and the elder was happy to welcome us in his village. He showed us around and told us their story. Showed us the school, and honestly, it was fucking basic, but GENIUS! Fucking GENIUS! The really built buildings out of mud and used rubber tires as stairs (etc).

The elder took us to a humongous tent where dozens of men were sleeping. Another few dozen men were making prayer. We sat as they prayed and they offered us coffee. The sun was going down and the elder explained that the men of the village have to sleep in waves so there are always people protecting the village. According to them, IDF soldiers sneak into their village at night and wreck shit. He also explained that two Israeli settler villages were built flanking Khan al-Ahmar (yet another war crime) and that’s the real reason they want their land. They want to be able to link the settlements together and perhaps build another.

We stayed until it got dark. Talked to the kids. Talked to the elders. Talked to random people. To get their story. None of them asked anything of us, except to tell their story. Was sad to leave them to be honest. They told us to watch out for IDF soldiers on our way back to the taxis.

darth frosty

Dark Lord of the Sith
BGOL Investor
Excellent post, you could publish your own travel magazine! Thank you!
Thanks fam. Was a life changing trip. I think people think I'm being hyperbolic when I say that, but nothing will ever be the same after that shit.
This is simply amazing

@TheFuser

You should make this into a short book.

Might even be a solid script or stage play here
I would like to propose that this journey get the trashterpiece theater treatment.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
I would like to propose that this journey get the trashterpiece theater treatment.

It is easily done from @TheFuser prescriptive as guide narrator and could be entirely in one location

and then have the Palestinian come in with their story use the the Afro Palestine book store as a main spot and a debate arises the IDF do a raid then you here a young solider side of things

then have a Jewish tourist talk to the main character and the audience from THEIR prospective..

TheFuser

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
It is easily done from @TheFuser prescriptive as guide narrator and could be entirely in one location

and then have the Palestinian come in with their story use the the Afro Palestine book store as a main spot and a debate arises the IDF do a raid then you here a young solider side of things

then have a Jewish tourist talk to the main character and the audience from THEIR prospective..

I've recently been talking about something like this. There's also a documentary coming out called "Black In The Holy Land." The brotha speaking in the trailer is Ali and he was my guide while i was there. He's a legend.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
I've recently been talking about something like this. There's also a documentary coming out called "Black In The Holy Land." The brotha speaking in the trailer is Ali and he was my guide while i was there. He's a legend.

I saw you mentioned that earlier along with posting his picture I will definitely check for that

but seriously you REALLY should consider working on screenplay about your experience

we got a few writers here who could probably help.

TheFuser

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I saw you mentioned that earlier along with posting his picture I will definitely check for that

but seriously you REALLY should consider working on screenplay about your experience

we got a few writers here who could probably help.

It's absolutely on my mind. I was supposed to go back last summer to teach and I had plans on really documenting that, but Covid! It's gonna happen. Thanks for the push fam

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
It's absolutely on my mind. I was supposed to go back last summer to teach and I had plans on really documenting that, but Covid! It's gonna happen. Thanks for the push fam

thank YOU fam

your writing is very detailed comfortable and conversational

you not only a teacher YOU are a writer

and a darn good one.

I taught briefly so I salute you, I remember the first time I went into a classroom as a black man teaching those kids. Hell of an experience

SERIOUSLY consider working on this as a project it would be unique and will DEFINITELY have an audience,

You already got a solid outline DONE right here

WITH FEEDBACK.

respiration

/ˌrespəˈrāSH(ə)n/
BGOL Patreon Investor
I went as part of a delegation so my trip was paid for. I'm going back on my own dime though so I'll let you know when I do. Only thing I really paid for was food and souvenirs and shit. Drinks. And that's another thing. I feel like so many people think Palestine is this super fundamentalist place. The media will tell you that. But I had drinks and hookah in Ramallah. Drinks in a bar with Palestinians in Jerusalem. It's not this repressed ass place. It's just under developed and that's done on purpose by the Israeli government.

My life was changed because I've never felt so connected to a greater brotherhood in my life. We feel so isolated in the states. We don't even feel connected to other black folks in the diaspora. We be having African vs African American debates. West Indian vs African American beefs. And all that shit is part of the plan of white supremacy. So why would we ever feel connected to people who aint us? To people who have shown once they get here they fall in line with the white supremacy hierarchy? Talking with the Palestinians AND ESPECIALLY Afro-Palestinians, I saw how connected we all are, and how we are really fighting the same enemy, white supremacy.

I remember first seeing how connected we are on Twitter when folks IN Gaza were tweeting at folks in Ferguson to show not only solidarity, but also how to treat tear gas injuries. There's a reason Israel then passed laws to quell that shit.

And while I will never compare myself to his greatness, but I imagine it's how Brother Malcolm felt when he took his hajj. When he saw a greater brotherhood. When he saw the greater fight. And THAT'S the shit that scared the US. The US, EU, UK and Israel are fucking terrified at the thought of our solidarity. And that's why they went so hard at Marc Lamont Hill for speaking the truth in the UN on Palestinian Solidarity Day. They tried to pretend it was the "From the river to the sea" phrase, but that's horseshit because Israeli governemtn officials use it all the time. But his stance is in the tradition of Black Power. Malcolm showed love to Palestinians. Huey was IN Palestine showing them love. Stokely spoke in favor of our solidarity. Mandela said that South African freedom is incomplete without the freedom of Palestinians too.
This might be the best post I've ever seen on this site.

LordSinister

One Punch Mayne
Super Moderator
Also important to note thats it's nearly impossible to get into Iran (and other neighboring countries) if they find out you've visited Israel.

Israel gives the paper slips to tourists now which makes it easier but you can still be denied entry. I have 2 Israeli visas stamped in my passport so I'd have to get a new book to even think about visiting Iran.
I have 2 passports for that very reason. We sometimes can be called to work there and you don't want to show up in a Muslim country with a jew stamp in your book.

carsun1000

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
Excellent post. Very insightful

I wish I could do this as well. I've traveled to Ukraine, Poland, Latvia, Bulgaria, Romania, Greece, Austria, Italy, Hungary, North Macedonia, Kosovo, Bosnia, Georgia the country, and France. All for DOD, all under force protection. No site visits. The only place I explored was Bosnia.
I went for a walk in lviv, Ukraine, you should see all the stares....so not usually easy for us black folks with the military to be out and about. Cultural shock, tourism and force protection don't mix.
I'm scheduled to go to Madrid, Estonia montenegro and possibly Finland.
Hotel points up the ass though :yes: :yes: :yes: