Muisc Debate: Linda Perry Says Beyonce Takes Credit For Songs She Didn’t Write

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Music Debate: Linda Perry Says Beyonce Takes Credit For Songs She Didn’t Write

Linda Perry Says Beyonce Takes Credit For Songs She Didn’t Write Because She’s Beyonce

beyonce.jpg

Beyonce has apprently taken the adage “giving credit where credit is due” in the wrong direction. In a recent Reddit AMA session, fame Rock artist, Linda Perry addressed Beyonce taking songwriting credits for songs she did not write.

According to Perry, Beyonce and other artists similar to Beyonce take songwriting credits for songs they don’t write due to the assistance their fame gives the song’s popularity:

Thats not songwriting but some of these artists believe if it wasnt for them your song would never get out there so they take a cut just because they are who they are. but everyone knows the real truth even Beyonce. She is talented but in a completely different way.
On numerous occasions Beyonce has stated or intimated that she wrote her hit song “Irreplacable”, particularly in a 2008 Marie Claire where she states “‘I’m sure people think I wrote it about [Jay-Z] or something, but… the obvious person is not the person at all. In a 2012 interview with The Breakfast Club, Ne-Yo, one of the co-writers for “Irreplacable” stated Beyonce only wrote the background harmonies for the song.

http://www.marieclaire.co.uk/celebrity/interviews/272366/beyonce-interview.html

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/fVnQR3z0lSA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>​

john blackcorn

Rising Star
Registered
:lol: i laugh when i hear shit like this, because the general public will speculate and give beyonce the benefit of the doubt, but us songwriters and producers in the industry know the deal

beyonce dont write jack shit!!! and just like the article said, beyonce is getting publishing off top because shes fuckn beyonce. shit id let beyonce get a beat or a track and give her publishing on it no questions asked. because more than likely the money id make off that record would probably be more than double what i would make had i taken full credit myself and sold it to a lesser artist.

but thats just how its done in the industry. you always make yourself seem bigger and better than what u are, the whole thing is an act and a front

of course shes gonna say she wrote it, it looks better for her that way. and as a writer u want the artist to get as big and get as much exposure as possible, so u shut the fuck up

producers do it too (mike will has eardrummas) i know other producers and songwriters that take credit that isnt theirs fully to boost their catalog and credits. like i said its all a front.

BDR

BeatDownRecs
BGOL Investor
No shit lmaoooo

Funny how she didn't take credit for a song Diana Warren wrote on one of her albums

Beyonce know she can't pull that bullshit with a industry heavy weight like that so she get up and coming writers and strong arm them out of half their writing credits

ElBarrio

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Perry's family is from Brazil btw. She's a true lyricist so i give her respects
I'm sure she knows the industry has been this way for a long time. Doesn't make it right.

Hotlantan

Beep beep. Who's got the keys to the Jeep? VROOM!
BGOL Investor
FACT: Linda Perry - as good as a songwriter/producer as she used to be - has NEVER actually worked with Beyonce, nor has Beyonce ever recorded any one of Linda's songs. The reality is that Linda has not written or recorded anything on the charts for ANYBODY in at least three years, and mentioning Beyonce was simply a very strategic and very sad and pathetic attempt to draw attention to Linda's new <s>paycheck</s> VH1 show. Mission accomplished.

mangobob79

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
whats LindaPerry complaining about, its always been like that! bitches always goin at Queen Bey! with side eye! fukk her half cac'ing ass(she can claim all that cacfrom her non-blonde days, but she knows better) i would give Queen Bey 75% on my song sif she asked,lek homie said , id give her 75% with nothing upfront cos if a lesser artist got it for 25% credit and say $10g upfront, id cake 10x more with Bey! why the side shade? ...

i actually seen it happen many times, one artist who's id say mid-tier big mi sat in on her session in ATL , my boy wrote,100% all the lyrics,music, produced and coached her thru the tracks and when publishing got settled she took 25% !!

its the business. dont like it give it to fantasia!

mangobob79

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
FACT: Linda Perry - as good as a songwriter/producer as she used to be - has NEVER actually worked with Beyonce, nor has Beyonce ever recorded any one of Linda's songs. The reality is that Linda has not written or recorded anything on the charts for ANYBODY in at least three years, and mentioning Beyonce was simply a very strategic and very sad and pathetic attempt to draw attention to Linda's new <s>paycheck</s> VH1 show. Mission accomplished.

this her last big hits were with Katy or Pink i think

voodoo

Star
Registered
That Irreplaceable shit is way old. the only muhfuckas should be concerned is the songwriter she's taking credit from.

Why pick out just Beyonce when it happens all the time? Name dropping for attention? Hmmm.

Day_Carver

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Been like that for decades/eons in the music industry.

:lol: i laugh when i hear shit like this, because the general public will speculate and give beyonce the benefit of the doubt, but us songwriters and producers in the industry know the deal

beyonce dont write jack shit!!! and just like the article said, beyonce is getting publishing off top because shes fuckn beyonce. shit id let beyonce get a beat or a track and give her publishing on it no questions asked. because more than likely the money id make off that record would probably be more than double what i would make had i taken full credit myself and sold it to a lesser artist.

but thats just how its done in the industry. you always make yourself seem bigger and better than what u are, the whole thing is an act and a front

of course shes gonna say she wrote it, it looks better for her that way. and as a writer u want the artist to get as big and get as much exposure as possible, so u shut the fuck up

producers do it too (mike will has eardrummas) i know other producers and songwriters that take credit that isnt theirs fully to boost their catalog and credits. like i said its all a front.

:yes::yes:

Darrkman

Hollis, Queens = Center of the Universe
BGOL Investor
Man Ne Yo blew up her spot a long time ago about that.

Sent from my Nexus 5

john blackcorn

Rising Star
Registered
shes not alone tho. you name an song and and artist and you can find a songwriter behind the scenes who helped write that or wrote the entire song for them

what yall know about writer camps that these studios be having? lol

rappers aint excluded either.they may write their own verses but alot of them have hooks pitched to them. its rare to find a mainstream artist who writes all their own shit

but its not necessarily a bad thing. the music industry is a collaborative effort

the only thing i hate about the shit is all the faking and stunting. but thats what its all about.thats exactly what its all about

woodchuck

A crowd pleasing man.
OG Investor
story time with Uncle Chuck coming soon...:dance:

storytime1.jpg

:lol::lol::lol:

Long story short, she was part of this songwriting crew that was working with Isaac Hayes at the time. She used to sing background in a band I was in, and she was in a VERY bad spot at the time. She had a 3 year old son and she was looking at being evicted. DC's management offered her 100k for the song, free and clear, and she took it. I realize that DC made over 6 milli off of that song, and it would be easy for us to say that we wouldn't have done it. We also have to realize that we weren't in her shoes. She did what she felt she had to do. If she had played hard ball, DC's management might have told to to forget about it.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
:lol::lol::lol:

Long story short, she was part of this songwriting crew that was working with Isaac Hayes at the time. She used to sing background in a band I was in, and she was in a VERY bad spot at the time. She had a 3 year old son and she was looking at being evicted. DC's management offered her 100k for the song, free and clear, and she took it. I realize that DC made over 6 milli off of that song, and it would be easy for us to say that we wouldn't have done it. We also have to realize that we weren't in her shoes. She did what she felt she had to do. If she had played hard ball, DC's management might have told to to forget about it.

thank you Uncle Chuck

:cool:

I understand the game...and I it is what it is.

some unread words on a page can't pay the rent and even if she had released the song herself it most likely wouldn't EVER come near to that.

I think R&B IS looked at differently.

Because I remember a REALLY big suit against Lauryn Hll and the crew she worked with for Miseducation...

I got a few questions though...

how much does a song CHANGE though?

I'm sure in the production and recording process words and melodies were switched around...

I wonder how CLOSE to the original composition the final product was?

Is it POSSIBLE for ONE PERSON to produce and write 12 records for an album

completely alone?

and do you think it will EVER be accepted in hip hop for a rapper to rap someone else's lyrics OPENLY?

(I think Chuck D did it one and we ALL know about Puff and Dre)

But I mean just like an R&B artist says Ne Yo or The Dream wrote this song...

could there be a day when Kanye does a song WRITTEN by Common?

therealjondoe

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
thank you Uncle Chuck

some unread words on a page can't pay the rent and even if she had released the song herself it most likely wouldn't EVER come near to that.

Because I remember a REALLY big suit against Lauryn Hll and the crew she worked with for Miseducation...

I'm sure in the production and recording process words and melodies were switched around...

completely alone?

and do you think it will EVER be accepted in hip hop for a rapper to rap someone else's lyrics OPENLY?

Kanye already has.

woodchuck

A crowd pleasing man.
OG Investor
thank you Uncle Chuck

completely alone?

After a song is done, the label will bring in different producers to see if they can get a better version. The big hit I played on was rerecorded and reproduced about 4 times, before Motown decided that the version I was on was the better choice. As for the red part, "All That I Am" by Bilal was written by Common, The D.O.C. wrote Dre's rhymes, and Big Daddy Kane wrote most of Shante's lyrics. Think about it:

"Well here's another chapter,
Where I hafta,
Release another bomb as soon as I grab the,
M.i.c.,
Then I'll be,
Straight, because I'll use the microphone as bait."

- from "Go On Girl"

Better

Support BGOL
Registered

After a song is done, the label will bring in different producers to see if they can get a better version. The big hit I played on was rerecorded and reproduced about 4 times, before Motown decided that the version I was on was the better choice. As for the red part, "All That I Am" by Bilal was written by Common, The D.O.C. wrote Dre's rhymes, and Big Daddy Kane wrote most of Shante's lyrics. Think about it:

Where I hafta,
M.i.c.,
Then I'll be,

- from "Go On Girl"

Dude, this is something I've always wanted to know:

Especially at height of the industry, you would have so many great musicians, producers, and song-writers available.

Why don't we have more GREAT albums?

I mean, with all the time people put into working on an album, and with all the money that goes into producing one, is a great album that difficult to construct?

I just thought it should be easiER to come up with hot music where you know what's hot, and you have all of these creative people around who should be able to understand what sound is considered a hot sound, and work from that?

Like, how did Motown churn out so many hits...

...but other labels don't come close to achieving the old Motown's level of success.

woodchuck

A crowd pleasing man.
OG Investor
Dude, this is something I've always wanted to know:

Especially at height of the industry, you would have so many great musicians, producers, and song-writers available.

Why don't we have more GREAT albums?

I mean, with all the time people put into working on an album, and with all the money that goes into producing one, is a great album that difficult to construct?

I just thought it should be easiER to come up with hot music where you know what's hot, and you have all of these creative people around who should be able to understand what sound is considered a hot sound, and work from that?

Like, how did Motown churn out so many hits...

...but other labels don't come close to achieving the old Motown's level of success.

Motown, Staxx, etc. wanted to sell good records. People today just wanna sell records.

Better

Support BGOL
Registered
Motown, Staxx, etc. wanted to sell good records. People today just wanna sell records.

I see.

I just think we should have more great music than we have.

So many talented people available in LA, Nashville, NYC, Atlanta...

...if a label is willing to spend, they could put construct at least a GOOD album more than they strikeout.

To continue to create duds for albums suggests some level of tone deafness to industry trends, and inability to come up with some 'fresh' based on what's hot.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Where I hafta,
M.i.c.,
Then I'll be,

- from "Go On Girl"

But do you think for all the lies...

If Rick Ross next album was entirely written by Meek Mill Wale and Stalley and it was KNOWN I mean interviews promotions stated clearly all lyrics written by...MMG

do you think the hip hop audience would embrace it or even care as long as the music was good?