MOVIES ~ Any of ya'll seen any good (or shitty) movies in recent weeks/months? Post reviews, feedback, movie news, trailers, recommendations, etc ...

kdogg3270

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
PROJECT POWER

PILL POPPING PLEASURE

PRAISE: When you walk into a GNC there are pills on the shelves for almost anything but nothing like whats featured in the film Project Power
The cast including Jamie Foxx ,Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Dominique Fishbackall turn in good performances in this story about family, Louisiana and oh yeah superpowers
Director Henry Joost and writer Mattson Tomlin create a world in which popping a power pill can either be fatal or give you various super powers.
Things are kept on a high pace and the 2 hour run time flies by with some great action sequences and SFX.The film never loses its sense of fun with dramatic moments weaved in.
I was actually shocked by some of the graphic violence which may not be for the faint of heart.

PROBLEMS: Some parts of the movie are been there done that old hat.The movie introduces some cool story threads and ideas but doesn't use them as much as i would have liked.
Once again there is not much to the main villain in the film and something great could have been done with that too.

This is one of those movies that could have definitely worked well as a series IMO but hopefully a sequel is being planned.

Scale of 1 to 10 a 7½
i assumed this would be trash, but i ended up really enjoying it.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

publicenemy

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Alive Netflix
Gregory - Official Trailer (Netflix)
South Korean zombie drama #Alive is now available to stream on Netflix. Starring Yoo Ah-in and Park Shin-hye, the film follows Jun-u and Kim Yu-bin as they attempt to survive a mysterious virus outbreak that spreads through Seoul and turns its victims into zombies.

My 2 cents: "Intense, gripping, action packed, and starts with a bang from the rip! Just like I like it!"

slam

aka * My Name Is Not $lam *
Super Moderator
Cant believe people still sleeping on the trap ..:eek2:

almost everything posted here ...especially the new stuff is in the trap for free...

n when i say everything ...i mean everything n if not request it nicely n it will b posted ...:D:D:money:

publicenemy

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Cant believe people still sleeping on the trap ..:eek2:

almost everything posted here ...especially the new stuff is in the trap for free...

n when i say everything ...i mean everything n if not request it nicely n it will b posted ...:D:D:money:
Can I have the deets on "The Trap?"

havelcok

Rising Star
Platinum Member

a nice independent movie thats been getting rave reviews all year
a bunch of white people think they can invade the brazilian outback and kill the inhabitants
of a small village
well they have another thing coming

its quite long, made longer by the fact that its in portugese
and does have that art house feeling about it
but if you stick it out, its actually quite good
its anti colonialism

6/10

joneblaze

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I was listening to 2 reviewers (they saw it separately). They both noted being frustrated by the muffled dialogue too. Said when you're paying attention to a movie that's already tough to follow at times ... you shouldn't have to strain to understand the dialogue, and still feel like you're missing important portions.

Look up a guy named SUPERFAN K on youtube his opinion about the sound is hilarious

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
I was listening to 2 reviewers (they saw it separately). They both noted being frustrated by the muffled dialogue too. Said when you're paying attention to a movie that's already tough to follow at times ... you shouldn't have to strain to understand the dialogue, and still feel like you're missing important portions.

I knew someone who saw this early couple weeks ago and said the studio asked for all the initial reels back cause they thought it was accidentally sent out unmixed...come to find out later naw nolan basically wanted it like that. Wtf?

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
I knew someone who saw this early couple weeks ago and said the studio asked for all the initial reels back cause they thought it was accidentally sent out unmixed...come to find out later naw nolan basically wanted it like that. Wtf?

Definitely seems puzzling. You’d think he’d want people fully engaged with the audio, and not missing portions. I don’t know about everyone else, but I flip on the captions for many tv series. Especially the ones with numerous characters and storylines. I want to know I’m clear with all that. Not asking what the fuck was just said about who, what’s their name again?

People are gonna wanna watch
his movie at home with captions/subtitles in the future.

:roflmao3: :cheers:

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Caught the first 2 episodes of Barry

Very impressed so far a little off kilter bit i like it.

Very cool to see the critical acclaim for Bill Hader and company in recent years. Good role for him, as most would have probably expected something comedic post-SNL. Got him a fine gf too - petite milf Rachel Bilson. Props due.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Very cool to see the critical acclaim for Bill Hader and company in recent years. Good role for him, as most would have probably expected something comedic post-SNL. Got him a fine gf too - petite milf Rachel Bilson. Props due.

Yo, i went in with my eye roll ready to go but homeboy has that dead eye emotionless killer look that i never saw before in him i was SURPRISED and impressed. I also like the short episodes

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Definitely seems puzzling. You’d think he’d want people fully engaged with the audio, and not missing portions. I don’t know about everyone else, but I flip on the captions for many tv series. Especially the ones with numerous characters and storylines. I want to know I’m clear with all that. Not asking what the fuck was just said about who, what’s their name again?

People are gonna wanna watch
his movie at home with captions/subtitles in the future.

:roflmao3: :cheers:

My brother from another i KEEP caption on but i kinda blame the writers on bgol i pay so much more time LISTENING to dialogue etc more closely i need that. For nolan to KNOW this was an issue after sound expert told him this? AND add pandemic? Thats real messed up
Sidebar
Im gonna get killed but outside memento? I and inception maybe dunkirk nolan is not the greatest ever some think he is i always thought his batman was good but not the greatest ever

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Yo, i went in with my eye roll ready to go but homeboy has that dead eye emotionless killer look that i never saw before in him i was SURPRISED and impressed. I also like the short episodes

Good point. The shorter episodes are convenient for people looking to get caught up. I need to see more eps too. I also still need to see Goliath, Succession, and ZeroZeroZero. All series on my radar.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
My brother from another i KEEP caption on but i kinda blame the writers on bgol i pay so much more time LISTENING to dialogue etc more closely i need that. For nolan to KNOW this was an issue after sound expert told him this? AND add pandemic? Thats real messed up
Sidebar
Im gonna get killed but outside memento? I and inception maybe dunkirk nolan is not the greatest ever some think he is i always thought his batman was good but not the greatest ever

Captions definitely help with all the great dialogue-heavy series. Or the ones jumping around in time with flashbacks and forwards. Trying to recall and retain names and places. Found it really helpful with Dublin Murders.

As for Nolan, he definitely has his pros and cons. Got much respect for his attention to the craft. A movie lover like all us fans. Just needs to stop bullshitting with the audio. Shoutout to Bane too, lol.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
My mom texted me the other day after watching this one. Said she recommended it. Had her on edge throughout ... heavy on the dialogue ...

I'm Thinking of Ending Things is a 2020 American psychological thriller film written and directed by Charlie Kaufman. The film is based on the 2016 novel of the same name by Iain Reid and stars Jesse Plemons, Jessie Buckley, Toni Collette and David Thewlis.

I'm Thinking of Ending Things was released in select theaters on August 28, 2020, and on Netflix on September 4, 2020. It received positive reviews from critics.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

Black A. Camus

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Z.

From its cinematography to its cast, this movie is just off. But that's what makes it so damn good! It's kind of unoriginal at first: a troubled kid with an imaginary friend. How cliche' right? The first 30 minutes, or so, are kind of anticipated and uninteresting. But, then... Then!

If you're into horror movies this is kind of a much watch. I give it a 8.5 out of 10.

publicenemy

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Some people are just born to be buried.

In Knockemstiff, Ohio and its neighboring backwoods, sinister characters — an unholy preacher (Robert Pattinson), twisted couple (Jason Clarke and Riley Keough), and crooked sheriff (Sebastian Stan) — converge around young Arvin Russell (Tom Holland) as he fights the evil forces that threaten him and his family. Spanning the time between World War II and the Vietnam war, director Antonio Campos’ THE DEVIL ALL THE TIME renders a seductive and horrific landscape that pits the just against the corrupted. Co-starring Bill Skarsgård, Mia Wasikowska, Harry Melling, Haley Bennett, and Pokey LaFarge, this suspenseful, finely-woven tale is adapted from Donald Ray Pollock's award-winning novel.

This movie is the shit! The people in this movie go through a lot, and I mean a damn lot!!!

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

Some people are just born to be buried.

In Knockemstiff, Ohio and its neighboring backwoods, sinister characters — an unholy preacher (Robert Pattinson), twisted couple (Jason Clarke and Riley Keough), and crooked sheriff (Sebastian Stan) — converge around young Arvin Russell (Tom Holland) as he fights the evil forces that threaten him and his family. Spanning the time between World War II and the Vietnam war, director Antonio Campos’ THE DEVIL ALL THE TIME renders a seductive and horrific landscape that pits the just against the corrupted. Co-starring Bill Skarsgård, Mia Wasikowska, Harry Melling, Haley Bennett, and Pokey LaFarge, this suspenseful, finely-woven tale is adapted from Donald Ray Pollock's award-winning novel.

This movie is the shit! The people in this movie go through a lot, and I mean a damn lot!!!

Thanks for the intel - sounds good. Solid cast too.

Dirtylakerie

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Taboo(Tubi)

:lol: Just got done watching this wild ass shit. The acting in this movie was bad.

But this was very entertaining. There's disclaimers about sexual abuse. But nothing in the movie itself. Except for one scene toward the end. But the abuse is implied not shown. I would say, give it a try.

Shaka54

FKA Shaka38
Platinum Member
Taboo(Tubi)

:lol: Just got done watching this wild ass shit. The acting in this movie was bad.

But this was very entertaining. There's disclaimers about sexual abuse. But nothing in the movie itself. Except for one scene toward the end. But the abuse is implied not shown. I would say, give it a try.

The First Lady Pt.1 and 2(Tubi)

I thoroughly enjoyed watching these movies. Yes, the acting is bad, but I thought the story was good. The second movie ends on a cliff hanger. Hopefully a third film gets made to finish the story.

Straight to VHS in the Black Interest section of Blockbuster.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

joneblaze

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
THE DEVIL ALL THE TIME

When Satan refuses to get behind you.....

PRAISE: Based on The Devil All the Time by Donald Ray Pollock the film version of the story of disparate characters in post-World War II Southern Ohio and West Virginia.
The performances from the entire cast including :Tom Holland,Bill Skarsgård,Riley Keough,Jason Clarke,Sebastian Stan,Haley Bennett, Eliza Scanlen,Mia Wasikowska
and Robert Pattinson,are haunting,intense and sometimes downright sinister !!
I liked how it's an examination of twisted faith and the darkness of the human spirit.
How faith which can be a good thing sometimes blinds people from what's right and from dealing with personal trauma.
Sometimes darkly amusing with visuals that are stunning and some that may not be for the faint of heart.
I have to praise the make up artists because a few of the cast members are unrecognizable.
I really enjoyed the narration by Donald Ray Pollock.

PROBLEMS:At times the film pushes pretentious to the limit.When i paused the film i couldnt believe i still had 78 minutes to go so i really felt the pacing was slow and then some.But what's crazy when it ends i shrugged and said that's it?

If you like a slow burn with a semi Stephen King feel definitely give this a watch.

Scale of 1-10 a 7½

ANTEBƎLLUM

Just another exploitive film about slavery?

PRAISE: This story of a succesful author Veronica Henleywho finds herself trapped in a horrifying reality that forces her to confront the past, present and future -- before it's too late stars Janelle Monae who not only turns in a terrific performance but the camera truly loves her and her curves which i also loved !!
Gabourey Sidibe gratefully adds doses of humor.
The rest of the cast including Eric Lange,Jena Malone,Jack Huston and
Kiersey Clemons bring enough to the table to uplift the script.
Definitely not as terrible as some critics made it out to be and the scenes of slavery are harrowing but definitely not as brutal and lingering as the scenes in 12 Years a Slave.I actually found the film moving here and there.
There is a lot that works in this i didn't even mind when the film shifts gears a few times.
I do understand problems people have with the imagery i mean how many times are we supposed to accept slavery in films as entertainment and pay for it?
On the other hand will we or future generations slowly forget the horrors of slavery if films like this aren't made? Maybe we still need these images in films like this especially for people that say : well slavery wasn't that bad.
I wouldn't say this film is really horror but there are horrible characters in it.

PROBLEMS: There is a lack of character development so much so I think this would have worked better as a series. The back stories of certain characters are barely spoken of and it was actually frustrating.
The plot twist is mixed bag for me because some of it has been seen in half a dozen streaming shows and movies but the film does weave in some unique threads.
ANTEBƎLLUM is not great but not as over the top exploitive and bad as i thought it would be.

Scale of 1-10 a 7

neptunes007

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I saw Tenet in 70mm. It was ok. If you’ve seen Momento, Inception
, or even a Butterfly Effect then you’ve basically seen this movie. The theme is all those ideas wrapped up in one. The audio is a little over board. You will hear crazy orchestrated music but it’s not really driving the dialogue or adding to the story at times.

5/10