MOVIES ~ Any of ya'll seen any good (or shitty) movies in recent weeks/months? Post reviews, feedback, movie news, trailers, recommendations, etc ...

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
5f08307858490.jpg

A covert team of immortal mercenaries are suddenly exposed and must now fight to keep their identity a secret just as an unexpected new member is discovered.

joneblaze

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
THE OLD GUARD

Immortality comes with a price

PRAISE: Even though I've seen stories like this before in the films Highlander, Deadpool and Logan, The Old Guard does have its own style and threads of originality.
This story of immortals who have done some good throughout time but pursued by some sinister characters for profit is definitely uplifted by a cast which includes :
Charlize Theron,KiKi Layne,Marwan Kenzari,Luca Marinelli,Harry Melling,Van Veronica Ngo,
Matthias Schoenaerts, and Chiwetel Ejiofor.
Oh and can someone in Hollywood look into casting Layne as the new Kick Ass presently in Comics if they ever make a new KA movie !!
The action sequences are great and well choreographed
There are also some great one liners

PROBLEMS: Casting leads to the predictable. The film drops several predictable breadcrumbs.
There are a few plot holes.

I'm looking forward to the sequel

Scale of 1 to 10 a 7½

Dirtylakerie

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Booty shop(Tobi)

Movie was mostly trash, I stuck with it though. Because it has been awhile since I watched a movie to completion. And I stuck around to see if there was any nudity. There was none. Pass on this if anyone is curious about this movie.

Stop pepper palmer(Tobi)

Another low budget movie that is trash. There is some parts that are funny, but I wouldn't recommend this movie.

Dirtylakerie

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Date for hire(tubi)

This movie is watchable to me. But I can understand people checking out this movie fast. This movie has some flaws like, the sound is over dubbed randomly through out the movie, the visuals absolutely sucked at times, and as usual the acting is awful. But I stuck with it because of the story.

I think if this had better acting in it, it would be better.

Nurses 3D(tubi)

This shit was crazy as hell. Especially the ending. I would recommending watching this if you haven't seen it.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Finished off the second half of The Outpost the other day. The 2nd hour is intense. Quite the battle.

Checked out Greyhound. It was ok. Felt too condensed though at under an hour and a half.

Probably gonna check out 7500, 1917, and Ghosts of War within the next week.

Ghosts of War is a 2020 horror war film written and directed by Eric Bress. The film stars Brenton Thwaites, Theo Rossi, Skylar Astin, Kyle Gallner, and Alan Ritchson.

During the darkest days of World War II, five American soldiers are ordered to hold a French castle formerly occupied by the Nazi high command. Their assignment spirals into madness when the group begins experiencing inexplicable events as their reality transforms into a twisted nightmare more terrifying than anything seen on the battlefield.[3]

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Yeah Tubi has a lot of decent content on there. I like to find hidden gems on there. Movie and TV wise.

Agreed. It's interesting to see the assortment of titles & realize you're unfamiliar with the majority of them. Hell, I was watching some random low-budget reality show about a bikini coffee shop franchise in the Pacific Northwest several months ago. Just random as fuck.

:roflmao3::giggle:

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

havelcok

Rising Star
Platinum Member

one of the toughest and hardest movies i have ever watched
raw and emotional
not for the faint of heart

the brits are bastards
8/10

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

joneblaze

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
WAVES

Powerful Rip tide !!

PRAISE: This story of an emotional journey of a suburban family as they navigate love, forgiveness, and coming together in the aftermath of a loss put me on a emotional rollercoaster ride that was seemingly endless.
The entire cast including Kelvin Harrison Jr.,Lucas Hedges,Taylor Russell, Alexa Demie, Renée Elise Goldsberry
and Sterling K. Brown turn in extremely strong performances.
The Direction of Trey Edward Shults coupled with the Cinematography of Drew Daniels drrew me in with it's point of view feel.
Even when i felt the tragic moments coming i was still floored when they played out on the screen.
The familial tales in the film are both loving and heartbreaking.There is this huge beautiful feeling of learning to somehow slowly but surely embrace life again after loss that moved me.

PROBLEMS:The film dives into some cliched trenches

Scale of 1-10 a 9

GREYHOUND

Slightly Sea Worthy

PRAISE:Tom Hanks IS Commander Ernest Krause, commanding officer of the USS Keeling, codenamed Greyhound
his first mission is to defending a merchant ship convoy under attack by submarines in early-1942 during the Battle of the Atlantic
The submarines rising from the dark seas,battle ships passing within inches of each other,bombs dropping and crossfire shots were very exciting especially when i turned the sound up.
Definitely some tense and edge of your seat moments.

PROBLEMS:No real character development.There is a running thread about a particular character and i guess it was supposed to make me care about the character but in the end i just ended up thinking well that kind of sucked.
This one of those films that as of late i can see why the studio behind it decided not to leave it in a holding pattern until the Fall,Winter or some time in 2021 and just made a deal to release it on a streaming service.
Just not much to it and mainly one note.

Scale of 1-10 a 5

FATAL AFFAIR

Fatally Funny

PRAISE: There is one original story thread in this flick about a brief semi "entanglement " that leads to insane stalking
Other than that original thread Nia Long and Omar Epps do what they can with the screenplay and Nia Long does look great which is mentioned by the characters in the film about 20 times.
I got several laughs out of the flick.

PROBLEMS: Just basic and dull.The flick doesn't even try to be suspenseful....paint by numbers and then some.Several unintentional laughs and lack of common sense from a couple of characters.
A mid summer dud

Scale of 1-10 a 3

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
WAVES

The Direction of Trey Edward Shults coupled with the Cinematography of Drew Daniels drrew me in with it's point of view feel.
Even when i felt the tragic moments coming i was still floored when they played out on the screen.

GREYHOUND

PROBLEMS:No real character development.

Just not much to it and mainly one note.

Agreed re: Waves. Beautifully shot. Have recommended it to a number of people. I plan on rewatching it later this year.

As for Greyhound ... yeah ... just felt too condensed overall at under an hour and a half. I was saying to some fam' that it would have probably worked better as a limited series of some sort. Nothing overly long. Say 5 - 6 episodes. You see how well that works for TV series like Bodyguard, Trackers, etc. They have 4.5 - 6 hours or so to tell their story. Movies definitely feel rushed in comparison when they are on the shorter end.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Time To Hunt

This was pretty good. Netflix has the English voice over version.

Looks good. The son from Parasite's in it. He lived here in B.C. for 10 years earlier during his school years. Great to see his career going well. Academy-Award winning movie last year in Parasite, the well-liked Train to Busan, this one, and other projects.

Time to Hunt (Korean: 사냥의 시간; RR: Sanyangui Sigan) is a 2020 South Korean dystopian action thriller film[2][3] written and directed by Yoon Sung-hyun. It was released worldwide on April 23, 2020 by Netflix.[4][5][6] Set in a dystopian South Korea, the film follows a group of friends who plot a heist and find themselves hunted down by a mysterious assassin after accomplishing the mission.

The film premiered at the 70th Berlin International Film Festival on February 22, 2020, making it the first South Korean film to be screened in the Berlinale Special section.[7][8]

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

Choi was born in Seoul, South Korea, the youngest of two sons. He immigrated to Canada with his family when he was in grade five, living in British Columbia, where he spent the next ten years of his life.[2] He attended high school at Pinetree Secondary School in Coquitlam.[3] His English name is Edward and he goes by the nickname Eddie.[4]

In 2011, while a junior at Simon Fraser University, then-21-year-old Choi was given permission by his parents to attend an acting audition within Korea, subsequently leading to him making his acting debut. Whilst in Korea Choi enrolled at Chung-Ang University, where he majored in cultural studies.[3]

havelcok

Rising Star
Platinum Member
AAAABfZWD5VoyH0FA-Z9hOSQn9uHA9V_9wG0f3IjgFLgN0QwjO-x4MV5dgZ3s6akQDSniyoEHwswYUvsSurzR0XgYqsQkBSimu3DZKPMMIX4d2_EFDvLghM_husk1LkwTw.jpg

Reuniting after the tragic death of their friend, four college pals set out to hike through the Scandinavian wilderness. A wrong turn leads them into the mysterious forests of Norse legend, where an ancient evil exists and stalks them at every turn.
A good watch IMO, the ending is open ended. It kept me entertained and laughing if you like watching people get smoked in horror films (Like I do).

this is a good watch

thanks for the recommendation

havelcok

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Elena

same director which made leviathan- which i personally think is a classic

Elena is pretty much up there

so many ways you can look at this movie
and you can take so many things from it

looks at money, morality, social class
only thing that i didnt like about it was the pacing,

7/5/10

catch it free on tubi

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
mid 80`s when fighter jet movies were the wave ....:giggle:

516vpTwASOL._AC_.jpg

Jason Gedrick was good on that Boomtown series in the early-2000s. Always wished that show could have run longer.

Boomtown is an American action drama television series created by Graham Yost, that aired on NBC from September 29, 2002 to December 28, 2003. Created by Graham Yost, the show's title is a nickname for its setting: Los Angeles, California.

The show portrayed a criminal investigation each week, seen from various points of view: the police officers and detectives, the lawyers, paramedics, reporters, victims, witnesses and criminals. Despite the show's innovative style – similar to that of Akira Kurosawa's film Rashomon, except all the perspectives agree – and glowing critical reviews, the show never drew a significant audience.

The series premiered on September 29, 2002. The first season order was for 18 episodes instead of the usual 22. After airing 12 episodes with disappointing ratings, NBC CTV moved Boomtown from Sundays to Fridays, putting the show on a two-month hiatus before it returned in March 2003. Its first season ended before May sweeps, an important period in determining ratings and thus ad revenue values.

Boomtown was renewed for a second season, but to satisfy the network's concerns with low ratings, the producers made some changes. Most significantly they abandoned the show's unique style. In Season One each story was told in a non-linear fashion, with each character's view adding a new detail. In Season Two, they still would put up people's names as if it followed them specifically, but there was not much new information on the mystery, and aside from a few flashbacks, the episode's events would run in order. There were changes within the cast as well. Nina Garbiras was let go, as the producers wished to focus more exclusively on Law & Order type characters. There was never any mention of her reporter character again. Lana Parrilla's character suddenly joined the police academy. The character had previously been seen as never wanting to be anything but a paramedic after her mother's death. Vanessa L. Williams joined the cast for every episode, but was billed as a guest star. She played Detective Katherine Pierce, a high-ranking officer who transfers into Bobby and Joel's division. Jason Gedrick and Neal McDonough were absent from one episode each (although Gedrick's Tom Turcotte was heard on the telephone), and McDonough was also absent from all but the last 20 seconds of the season premiere. Lana Parrilla was not in three of the six episodes. After airing only two episodes, the series was put on hiatus. NBC broadcast reruns of Law & Order in its place before deciding to cancel the series. Three of the remaining unaired episodes were broadcast on December 27, 2003, and the final episode aired on December 28, 2003.

In restrospect, the show's creator, Graham Yost said: "Boomtown was perhaps, in retrospect, better suited for HBO or FX. But at that time, HBO had The Wire, and FX had The Shield. So NBC was really the only place for it, and they embraced the Rashomon structure and were excited by that, but then when the ratings weren’t spectacular, what happens is everyone questions everything. “Maybe that’s the problem. Maybe it’s the music. Maybe it’s this. Maybe it’s that. And the doubt becomes corrosive. So when we were lobbying for a second season, we were told straightforwardly that… there was one particular episode toward the end of the first season where Fearless, played by Mykelti Williamson, has to deal with the past of having been molested as a child, and we were basically told, “You can’t do any more episodes like that.” To this day, I don't know if that was the right decision. I do feel like that was one of the best episodes we ever did. I'm extraordinarily proud of that. But you want to keep going, you want to work with those actors, those writers, that crew. You want to take a shot, and you're hoping you will succeed, but we didn't. So there's a part of me that regrets the abbreviated second season, but there's also a part of me that's like, “Eh. We gave it a shot.” [1]

Boomtown received several awards and nominations, including Emmy Awards, Golden Satellite Awards, and Television Critics Association Awards.