MOVIES ~ Any of ya'll seen any good (or shitty) movies in recent weeks/months? Post reviews, feedback, movie news, trailers, recommendations, etc ...

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
DVR'd this one on tv recently. Quite good. Watched it yesterday.

Red Army is a 2014 American-Russian documentary film directed, produced, and written by Gabe Polsky, executive produced by Jerry Weintraub and Werner Herzog. It premiered at the 2014 Cannes Film Festival[3] and was released in limited theaters by Sony Pictures Classics on January 23, 2015.[4] The film tells the story of the Soviet Union national ice hockey team through the eyes of team captain Slava Fetisov, in particular the famed 1990s five-man unit known as The Russian Five.

The film details the link between sports and politics. The film also narrates how players were wooed by National Hockey League scouts and eventually flooded NHL rosters. The film is particularly harsh on the ruthless tactics of coach Viktor Tikhonov about whom none of the players have a kind word. Tikhonov died in November 2014.[5]

The movie uses rare archival footage,[6] including children singing "No Coward Plays Hockey", song composed by Aleksandra Pakhmutova in 1968.[7][8]

Red Army is one of the best reviewed films of 2014, maintaining a 97% rating on Rotten Tomatoes with an average rating of 7.9/10 based on 92 reviews. The site's consensus reads: "Fun and fascinating, Red Army delivers absorbing documentary drama for hockey fans and sports novices alike."[18] On Metacritic, the film has an 83 out of 100 rating based on 33 critics, indicating "universal acclaim".[19]

A. O. Scott of The New York Times called the film a "stirring, crazy story—a Russian novel of Tolstoyan sweep and Gogl-esque absurdity".[20] Time magazine said: "this playful, poignant film presents a human story that transcends decades, borders and ideologies".[21] Scott Feinberg of The Hollywood Reporter called the film "one of the best documentaries that I have ever seen".[22]

The film was nominated for Best Documentary Screenplay from the Writers Guild of America.
[23]

Shaka54

FKA Shaka38
Platinum Member
I just watched this on the humbug. It was really good.

Dalton Trumbo is a screenwriter whose talent places him among the elite of Hollywood. However, his active membership in the Communist Party of the USA draws the contempt of staunchly anti-Soviet entertainment-industry figures such as columnist Hedda Hopper and actor John Wayne.

Trumbo is one of 10 screenwriters subpoenaed to testify before the House Committee on Un-American Activities (HUAC) regarding alleged Communist propaganda in Hollywood films. They refuse to directly answer questions, confident that a liberal majority on the Supreme Court will overturn the convictions for Contempt of Congress. Trumbo's friend Edward G. Robinson, who supports the cause, sells Vincent van Gogh's 1887 painting Portrait of Père Tanguy to raise money for their legal defense fund. The unexpected deaths of Justices Wiley Rutledge and Frank Murphy ruin Trumbo's plan to appeal to the Supreme Court. In 1950, Trumbo serves 11 months in Federal Correctional Institution in Ashland, Kentucky.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
I just watched this on the humbug. It was really good.

Dalton Trumbo is a screenwriter whose talent places him among the elite of Hollywood. However, his active membership in the Communist Party of the USA draws the contempt of staunchly anti-Soviet entertainment-industry figures such as columnist Hedda Hopper and actor John Wayne.

Trumbo is one of 10 screenwriters subpoenaed to testify before the House Committee on Un-American Activities (HUAC) regarding alleged Communist propaganda in Hollywood films. They refuse to directly answer questions, confident that a liberal majority on the Supreme Court will overturn the convictions for Contempt of Congress. Trumbo's friend Edward G. Robinson, who supports the cause, sells Vincent van Gogh's 1887 painting Portrait of Père Tanguy to raise money for their legal defense fund. The unexpected deaths of Justices Wiley Rutledge and Frank Murphy ruin Trumbo's plan to appeal to the Supreme Court. In 1950, Trumbo serves 11 months in Federal Correctional Institution in Ashland, Kentucky.

Thanks Shaka. One of the best actors in the game (Cranston).

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
He does NOT disappoint in this performance either.

Yeah - he's pretty much consistently good. Always makes me laugh thinking back to him on Malcolm in the Middle some 20 years ago. All the physical comedy and playing the idiot father ... to playing one of the most iconic characters in TV history later that decade when Breaking Bad began. Talk about not typecasting himself. Damn. My pops was on board with Breaking Bad from jump. I wasn't paying as close attention to AMC's programming at the time, and he watched an episode or two, recorded them and said - "You need to check this out - the dad from Malcolm in the Middle in a completely different role". We checked out the show (and now Better Call Saul) together pretty much ever since. Shows like that we keep in the rotation. Either off the DVR or saved on flashdrive.

Shaka54

FKA Shaka38
Platinum Member
Looking forward to these 2 movies ...

:eek2: Bruh, this is the story of my first deployment. WE built the Outpost that was later named Camp Keating. At the time we were simply LZ Copenhagen down in the fishbowl and LZ Warheit was on one of the ridges above us.
I have a damaged hard drive full of photos from my time in Hell that I can't get to. :(

That muhfucka was a straight deathtrap. We never got air support when we needed it, we were ALWAYS black on ammunition, food, and water, and when they came for us we'd battle from sundown to sunrise. We did once get an air asset that dropped a JDAM on top of us...danger close was the only option available.

Jake Tapper wrote a book about us being there, but it's all about the Cavalry Scouts and NO fucking mention of us Engineers who built the joint.
I was awarded the Bronze Star for the two campaigns there in the Hindu Kush.

The-Outpost.jpg

My fucking heart is pounding out of my chest right now. It's not exact, but the guard tower that was shown, I slept underneath after having my previous spot peppered with RPGs during our first major fight, and a couple of other elements in there look real close.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

The Outpost is an upcoming war drama film directed by Rod Lurie, based on a 2012 nonfiction book, The Outpost: An Untold Story of American Valor by Jake Tapper about the Battle of Kamdesh. It stars Orlando Bloom, Scott Eastwood, Caleb Landry Jones, Milo Gibson, Jack Kesy and Will Attenborough.

The film was scheduled to premiere at the 2020 South by Southwest Film Festival, but the festival was cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The film was scheduled for release on July 3, 2020.

The film tells the story of the 53 U.S. soldiers who battled a force of some 400 enemy insurgents in north-eastern Afghanistan during Operation Enduring Freedom. Originally built to engage the locals in community development projects, Combat Outpost Keating — located at the bottom of three steep mountains just 14 miles from the Pakistani border — faced a constant threat of being attacked by the Taliban, putting the U.S. soldiers stationed there at significant risk. When the brass[clarification needed] finally chose to close the base, the Taliban enemy found out and decided to make a statement.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

Tapper is also the author of The Outpost: An Untold Story of American Valor, a critically acclaimed book about U.S. troops in Afghanistan that debuted at number 10 on The New York Times bestseller list for hardback non-fiction. Bob Woodward described the book as "Brilliant, dedicated reporting by a journalist who goes to ground to get the truth. A sad, real tale about this war, America and the brave warriors who live—and die—at the point of the spear" and Jon Krakauer called it "a mind-boggling, all-too-true story of heroism, hubris, failed strategy, and heartbreaking sacrifice. If you want to understand how the war in Afghanistan went off the rails, you need to read this book."[citation needed] In 2014, the Congressional Medal of Honor Society recognized Tapper for the book and his reporting on military topics in general with the Tex McCrary Award for Excellence in Journalism.[4] A Rod Lurie-directed film adaptation of The Outpost is in pre-production, starring Milo Gibson, Orlando Bloom, Scott Eastwood and Caleb Landry Jones.[43][44]

Shaka54

FKA Shaka38
Platinum Member
The scene where there is firing squad...I was on that team and we built the memorials for the Sergeant who would go on to be awarded the Medal of Honor. There were two Medals of Honor awarded for this push.

That tells me that they've blended the events from when I was there to build the joint, to the culmination of it finally being overrun by the Taliban.
These are my old military plates.

20200529-195547.jpg

I ordered these plates to commemorate the first time I'd ever faced combat.:oops:

Last edited:

2missedcalls

Rising Star
Platinum Member
The scene where there is firing squad...I was on that team and we built the memorials for the Sergeant who would go on to be awarded the Medal of Honor. There were two Medals of Honor awarded for this push.

That tells me that they've blended the events from when I was there to build the joint, to the culmination of it finally being overrun by the Taliban.
These are my old military plates.

20200529-195547.jpg

I ordered these plates to commemorate the first time I'd ever faced combat.:oops:
I said Hooah!!!
You god damn hero!!!!
gadson.jpg

Shaka54

FKA Shaka38
Platinum Member
I said Hooah!!!
You god damn hero!!!!
gadson.jpg
I appreciate it Bruh. I tend to lean toward the term 'survivor' over hero though. :lol:
I can remember me poo-pooing the reports of the numbers of Taliban that were coming at us. We were trained to think that they only moved in 4-6 man cells...to think hundreds were approaching us..."HA! Oh really?," I was thinking. :smh:
I've got so many damned memories running through my mind right now I'm about to overload.

publicenemy

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I appreciate it Bruh. I tend to lean toward the term 'survivor' over hero though. :lol:
I can remember me poo-pooing the reports of the numbers of Taliban that were coming at us. We were trained to think that they only moved in 4-6 man cells...to think hundreds were approaching us..."HA! Oh really?," I was thinking. :smh:
I've got so many damned memories running through my mind right now I'm about to overload.
Are you a Combat Engineer 12B? I was and I have so many horror stories that will never be told, but in the end at least some of us made it out......

ViCiouS

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
The Ballad of Buster Scruggs - saw it mid-week. Enjoyed it. 3 of the stories were preferred - the 1st, 4th, and 5th stories of the bunch.

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs is a 2018 American western anthology film written, directed, and produced by the Coen brothers. It stars Tim Blake Nelson, Liam Neeson, James Franco, Brendan Gleeson, Zoe Kazan, Tyne Daly, Harry Melling, Bill Heck, and Tom Waits, and features six vignettes that take place on the American frontier.

The film premiered at the 75th Venice International Film Festival on August 31, 2018, where it won the Golden Osella Award for Best Screenplay.[3][4] After a limited theatrical run beginning on November 9, 2018, it was released on Netflix on November 16.[5][6] The National Board of Review named it as one of its top ten best films of 2018. The film earned three nominations at the 91st Academy Awards: Best Adapted Screenplay, Best Costume Design and Best Original Song ("When a Cowboy Trades His Spurs for Wings").

tumblr_pey9rj9NYx1qbhgiho2_400.gif
have you seen this

Shaka54

FKA Shaka38
Platinum Member
Are you a Combat Engineer 12B? I was and I have so many horror stories that will never be told, but in the end at least some of us made it out......
No, I went from Power Generation to a Quarry Blaster to Carpentry Supervisor but of course, blasting involves demolitions so I managed to do some Sapper tasks while out there in the Kush. I'd come from a Combat Heavy Battalion so we'd at least TRAIN in all Common Engineer Tasks from breaching to mine-clearing but then we became Modular Units for the needs at hand.

We deployed to build and maintain FOBs and COPs.

Shaka54

FKA Shaka38
Platinum Member
There are a good number of Vets on the board. I'm sure that they'd love to hear of your experiences (and mine) as much as I would. It would probably be good therapy for you, me, and a few others around here.:giggle:

slam

aka * My Name Is Not $lam *
Super Moderator
34853829_so.jpg

Strange occurrences plague a small town detective and his family as he investigates the disappearance of a young boy.

joneblaze

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
A question for everyone: Will you go to a movie theatre when they possibly open on july 1st?
I feel theatres can try to reopen and make some money but either simultaneously or a week later
release the same movies Ondemand and other platforms

swoop1

Circle the wagons.
BGOL Investor
A question for everyone: Will you go to a movie theatre when they possibly open on july 1st?
I feel theatres can try to reopen and make some money but either simultaneously or a week later

I would.

slam

Super Moderator
jus checked box office mojo seems like a few did a slow roll out already ...

some movie called the wretched is in 59 theaters ... :puzzled:

97f08a1345568856.jpg

slam

Super Moderator
I'mma watch with the wife today, based on your recommendation

yeah ..it`s a different take on the story ...

it seems like they werent sure the age group they wanted to appeal to tho ...

u c wht i mean when u watch it ... :yes:

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

Probably not. I've told some friends, fam' & coworkers in recent months to just leave their flash drives for me, and I'll update them with assorted newer & older TV series & movies. They're pleased about that. Some of them are regular moviegoers, and others prefer to watch at home.