MOVIES ~ Any of ya'll seen any good (or shitty) movies in recent weeks/months? Post reviews, feedback, movie news, trailers, recommendations, etc ...

doe moe

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Thanks for the recommendations @doe moe
source.gif

slam

aka * My Name Is Not $lam *
Super Moderator
Malcolm and Marie 2021

hkyCYlxH_o.png

A filmmaker returns home with his girlfriend following a celebratory movie premiere as he awaits what’s sure to be imminent critical and financial success. The evening suddenly takes a turn as revelations about their relationships begin to surface, testing the strength of their love.

slam

Super Moderator
Bliss 2021

iJk3uLFR_o.png

Bliss is a mind-bending love story following Greg (Owen Wilson) who, after recently being divorced and then fired, meets the mysterious Isabel (Salma Hayek), a woman living on the streets and convinced that the polluted, broken world around them is just a computer simulation. Doubtful at first, Greg eventually discovers there may be some truth to Isabel’s wild conspiracy.

slam

Super Moderator
Psycho Goreman

210122120337285026.png

Siblings Mimi and Luke unwittingly resurrect an ancient alien overlord. Using a magical amulet, they force the monster to obey their childish whims, and accidentally attract a rogues’ gallery of intergalactic assassins to small-town suburbia.

slam

Super Moderator
Caged 2021

Screenshot-2021-01-26-Caged-2021.png

An affluent African American psychiatrist is sent to federal prison after being found guilty of murdering his wife, then sent to solitary confinement – a victim of systemic racism. Isolated and fighting for an appeal, he slowly descends into madness, pushed to his breaking point by an abusive female guard hell bent on her own form of justice. Haunted by internal demons and his dead wife, he questions his own innocence and sanity, making his time in the S.H.U. a never-ending nightmare.

slam

Super Moderator
Go Dont Go 2020

210114122525379984.png

Caught between a lost love story and inescapable paranoia, "Go / Don't Go" is a genre-bending slow burn thriller that follows Adam, a wallflower who happens to be the last person left alive-or so he thinks.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Caged 2021

Screenshot-2021-01-26-Caged-2021.png

An affluent African American psychiatrist is sent to federal prison after being found guilty of murdering his wife, then sent to solitary confinement – a victim of systemic racism. Isolated and fighting for an appeal, he slowly descends into madness, pushed to his breaking point by an abusive female guard hell bent on her own form of justice. Haunted by internal demons and his dead wife, he questions his own innocence and sanity, making his time in the S.H.U. a never-ending nightmare.

He had a good role last year on Briarpatch -

slam

Super Moderator
Son of the South 2021

210205035853626341.jpg

In this poignant true story set in Montgomery, Alabama, a Klansman’s grandson must choose which side of history to be on during the Civil Rights Movement. Defying his family and white Southern norms, he fought against social injustice, repression and violence to change the world around him. SON OF THE SOUTH is from executive producer Spike Lee and based on Bob Zellner’s autobiography, “The Wrong Side of Murder Creek.”

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Dude is slept on ...

He was dope on the Blacklist ...

how bout the dredlock wearing vampire in Twilight ...lol

Thanks for the Blacklist and Twilight references too for his work. That's cool.

They filmed part of those Twilight films locally in the province. Really popular ... they even had AM radio reports some mornings with people calling stations letting others know where they were filming.

A friend of mine knew someone who worked on the Smallville series - so he got to tour one of their sets, etc.

havelcok

Rising Star
Platinum Member

old but gold
randomly found it on netflix

tom ford visuals are perfect as expected
the story is great
well worth a watch

joneblaze

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Malcolm & Marie

Love & Hate Debate

PRAISE: When a film opens with nice and appreciative touches you already have scored a couple of points with me .This view of the ups and downs of a relationship between Malcolm & Marie
will definitely grab you if you have ever been in a long term relationship.There are touches of the films Before Midnight and Crossing My Heart in the film but things get a little more salty and angrier than the aforementioned.
Even though the mood should be festive for the couple there is a back story of pain and resentment that is about to boil over. Zendaya as Marie Jones and John David Washington as Malcolm Elliott
Both actors do a fine job. Zendaya's performance was a bit more casual and distant. But the two actors are very comfortable together.
Sometimes their interactions are sexy sometimes salty,and when it's revealed that care and love might just be obligation thats when they really push each others buttons.
Their mental knives are twisted in cruel ways in which selfishness on both sides are revealed. The film really excels at the aforementioned moments.
The film even borrows a bit from real life Hollywood couple turmoil.
Director and writer Sam Levinson makes sure to throw in nods to his favorite films and directors which was fine at first but.....

PROBLEMS:Sure i completely understand every writer puts a little bit of themselves in their writing. It becomes overdone and repetitive when Levinson's grievances about Hollywood turn into 15 minute monologues.
There is also repetitivenes and predictability when I could see the insults coming from the couple when the tone of the film goes from praise to cruel and back again consistently.
Plus this film could have been summed up in 90 minutes or less.

Scale of 1 to 10 a 7⅓

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Malcolm & Marie

Love & Hate Debate

PRAISE: When a film opens with nice and appreciative touches you already have scored a couple of points with me .This view of the ups and downs of a relationship between Malcolm & Marie
will definitely grab you if you have ever been in a long term relationship.There are touches of the films Before Midnight and Crossing My Heart in the film but things get a little more salty and angrier than the aforementioned.
Even though the mood should be festive for the couple there is a back story of pain and resentment that is about to boil over. Zendaya as Marie Jones and John David Washington as Malcolm Elliott
Both actors do a fine job. Zendaya's performance was a bit more casual and distant. But the two actors are very comfortable together.
Sometimes their interactions are sexy sometimes salty,and when it's revealed that care and love might just be obligation thats when they really push each others buttons.
Their mental knives are twisted in cruel ways in which selfishness on both sides are revealed. The film really excels at the aforementioned moments.
The film even borrows a bit from real life Hollywood couple turmoil.
Director and writer Sam Levinson makes sure to throw in nods to his favorite films and directors which was fine at first but.....

PROBLEMS:Sure i completely understand every writer puts a little bit of themselves in their writing. It becomes overdone and repetitive when Levinson's grievances about Hollywood turn into 15 minute monologues.
There is also repetitivenes and predictability when I could see the insults coming from the couple when the tone of the film goes from praise to cruel and back again consistently.
Plus this film could have been summed up in 90 minutes or less.

Scale of 1 to 10 a 7⅓

Thanks for the review @joneblaze - from Zendaya's writer - director Levinson on Euphoria. Interesting.

Dirtylakerie

Rising Star
Platinum Member
HBOMAX
Lone wolf and cub Baby Cart to hades

Lone wolf and cub Baby cart in peril

Lone wolf and cub In the land of Demons

Lone wolf and cub White Heaven in Hell

So I finally finished all the lone wolf and cub movies. And Most of them were good. The action kind of gets repetitive toward the final movies, but its still great to look at. I did a little research about the franchise.

And found out the same guy that wrote the Manga for this wrote the Manga to Lady Snow Blood and some others. I also found out The lone wolf and cub story were adapted into a tv series and plays. The story was continued a via new manga through DARK HORSE comics. Jon Favreau acknowledged
the lone wolf and cub influence. On an episode of Disney gallery on Disney+. I would recommend watching this series.

The creator of the Manga Kazuo Koike

I found this clip while looking up the trailers for movies

:cool:

joneblaze

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Judas and the Black Messiah

BETRAYAL OF A POWERFUL PANTHER

PRAISE: About three months ago i watched a documentary based on The Black Panthers on PBS titled The Black Panthers: Vanguard of the Revolution.I was so riveted by it i couldnt get out of my seat 5 minutes after the credits rolled.
Watching this trailer months ago i wondered : Would i be equally moved by this film?
This film focuses on when the FBI William O'Neal infiltrates the Illinois chapter of the Black Panther Party to gather intelligence on Chairman Fred Hampton.
I was mesmerized and pulled in partially because of the performances.
Daniel Kaluuya as Fred Hampton, chairman of the Black Panther Party chapter in Chicago puts all he can into the role is he the mirror image of Hampton with his mannerisms to a t ...no but it's a solid performance and i couldnt take my eyes off of him.Couple that with another beautiful perfomance from Dominique Fishback as Deborah Johnson, Hampton's girlfriend.Their time together on screen is romantic and soulful .Wonderful chemistry.
Now Lakeith Stanfield as Bill O'Neal, an FBI informant who infiltrates the Party talk about mirror image...WOW,I will never feel sympathy for O'Neal
but Stanfield's portrayal is dead on and laser focused.
Jesse Plemons as Roy Mitchell, O'Neal's FBI handler turns in an oily performace as he convinces O'Neal to infiltrate and betray The Black Panther's.
At times i couldnt believe how hate and absurd thinking blinded certain people from what Hampton was trying to accomplish. Im glad the film displayed how he extended himself to anyone no matter what race they were.
Director Shaka King and writers Will Berson,Shaka King,Kenny Lucas
and Keith Lucas give the film stunning imagery and edge of your seat moments even though i knew how some moments would play out.
It uplifted and broke my heart at the same time.Definitely triggering so please keep that in mind.
Im glad the film is receiving tons of award nominations.Thank You for using real life footage and pictures.

PROBLEMS: I did have problems with some alterations to the true story.I felt like some punches were pulled in certain scenes and when it came to the dialogue.I believe without such alterations it just would have added to the power of the film.

I encourage all to view The Black Panthers: Vanguard of the Revolution and read the graphic novel The Black Panther Party: A Graphic Novel History by
Author: David Walker and
Illustrator: Marcus Kwame Anderson

Scale of 1-10 an 8½

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Watched Our Friend yesterday.

Enjoyed the performances, and the portrait of friendship during trying times.

1st link = aggregate reviews, and 2nd link = the actual article / story it's based upon.

Fuck cancer.

Our Friend (previously titled The Friend) is a 2019 comedy-drama film directed by Gabriela Cowperthwaite, from a screenplay by Brad Ingelsby.[4] It stars Jason Segel, Dakota Johnson, and Casey Affleck.

It had its world premiere at the Toronto International Film Festival on September 6, 2019. It was released on January 22, 2021, by Gravitas Ventures.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
I Care a Lot is a 2020 American dark comedy thriller film written and directed by J Blakeson. The film stars Rosamund Pike, Peter Dinklage, Eiza González, Chris Messina, and Dianne Wiest.

I Care a Lot had its world premiere at the Toronto International Film Festival on September 12, 2020, and was released via streaming in most countries on February 19, 2021, through Netflix and Prime Video depending on the region.

I Care a Lot received generally positive reviews from critics, with praise for Pike's performance. Pike was nominated for a Golden Globe Award for Best Actress in a Motion Picture – Comedy or Musical.