MOVIES ~ Any of ya'll seen any good (or shitty) movies in recent weeks/months? Post reviews, feedback, movie news, trailers, recommendations, etc ...

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Just checked and didn't see it out there.

It might be worth searching around on the http://www.tsn.ca website. May be available there - not sure if they geo-block stuff outside of Canada. Here we get issues (in Canada) trying to stream stuff (or check Youtube clips) for places like FS1 (Fox Sports) and others. Not sure if it's the other way around for U.S. and international viewers on the Canadian sites.

Dirtylakerie

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Netflix Original Movies
When We First Met

This movie was alright. I know this might not be everybodies cup of tea. But I thought it was funny and entertaining.

The kissing booth

This was another alright movie.

Amatuer

This is the best movie of the three movies I watched. In my opinion.

joneblaze

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
AVENGERS: ENDGAME

This is the end
Beautiful friend
This is the end

NO SPOILERS SPOILER FREE

Praise: Even with all the spoilers floating around across the internet,clips and trailers
AVENGERS: ENDGAME still surprised me.There were so many great and unexpected moments in the film.
Starting with the performances with
Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark/Iron Man who serves up one of his best acting and giving the film a great emotional jumping point.
The cast which includes :
Jeremy Renner, Paul Rudd, Brie Larson, Bradley Cooper, Scarlett Johansson, Josh Brolin, Karen Gillan, Mark Ruffalo, Chris Hemsworth, Chris Evans, & Don Cheadle give it their all as the characters they portray deal with half the universe vanishing.
There is a darkness to the film that is balanced by lighter moments actually some very humorous moments.This was a very involving experience.A movie which goes down paths of raw emotion and in such a bittersweet way.
The film borrows from one of my all time favorite trilogies but in a good way.

Sure there is fan service but i didnt find it to be over done.There are huge comic book splash page moments that thrilled me and just have to be seen on the big screen and if you dont you are definitely cheating yourself.

As the film entered it's last 20 minutes i found myself wanting one last quip,joke and save.A clear sign of how attached i have become to these characters over the years

Directors: Joe Russo, Anthony Russo do their best not to disappoint the hardcore or even casual fans of the heroes and villains that inhabit the film.
High praise to the make up artists who did a beyond terrific job !!

Problems:While the second act plays out i started to feel the films 3 hour run time.I started saying do some of these scenes really need to run so long?
The CGI is a bit off at times.Even with it's 3 hour run time i felt some characters got short changed.

Yes this is the end of a huge chapter and arc in the MCU and as tough as it is to say goodbye on the horizon there is more to come and im in high anticipation to see what Marvel/Disney has in store for the future.

Scale of 1-10 an 8½

Dirtylakerie

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I just got done watching Death wish 5. If you haven't seen any of the movies. To save yourself some time. Only watch the first movie. They recycled the same concept. From parts 1-5, there not bad movies to watch. But the story is the same. Part 5 is a little different, because instead of running down the enemies. The main character uses more tactical. Means to kill the bad guys.

joneblaze

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I just got done watching Death wish 5. If you haven't seen any of the movies. To save yourself some time. Only watch the first movie. They recycled the same concept. From parts 1-5, there not bad movies to watch. But the story is the same. Part 5 is a little different, because instead of running down the enemies. The main character uses more tactical. Means to kill the bad guys.

YOU didnt like part 3 The Ghetto Wars? hahahaha

joneblaze

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The Favourite

Two women the Duchess of Marlborough (Rachel Weisz) and her cousin Abigail (Emma Stone) vie for the affections,ear and grace of of Queen Anne (Olivia Colman)

PRAISE: I cant remember the last time i was extremely amused with a period piece.The film completely engaged me with it's visuals and oddness.Every scene is fun,haunting and unique.Well acted by the entire cast which includes Nicholas Hoult as Robert Harley, 1st Earl of Oxford and Earl Mortimer.
Eccentric,weird,and erotic i loved every minute of it.

PROBLEMS:NONE

Scale of 1-10 10+

Guava Island

A folk tale that springs to beautiful life

PRAISE: Breezy and short Guava Island is a 60 minute Musical/Music video which enchants for the most part and thats thanks to a wonderful cast which includes
Donald Glover,Rihanna,Nonso Anozie and Letitia Wright.Musical number are colorful and soulful that actually made me wish for more in this slice of life tale.

PROBLEMS:Some extremely predictable turns and the Director Hiro Murai and the producers of the film miss a HUGE oppurtunity when it comes to the talents of Rihanna.Im actually shocked they completey bypassed it !!

Scale of 1-10 a 7½

Bayou Caviar

A former boxer seeks redemption but finds himself painted into a dangerous corner

PRAISE: Story starts off well enough even getting past some cliched basicness.
Lia Marie Johnson is the true bright spot in the movie.

PROBLEMS: It's rare that a movie descends into lameness in it's first 30 minutes.Bad script and even badder acting plus throw in some obnoxious characters which made this film feel like mind numbing torture.Characters are introduced and vanish within seconds,serving no purpose except to titilate for a few moments.So much wasted talent.

Scale of 1-10 a 2½

Dirtylakerie

Rising Star
Platinum Member
The Intent

This was an alright movie. There was some boring parts, but still watchable.

The Intent 2 edit*

I just got through watching this garbage.
At first I was trying to figure out what the fuck was going on. Because of how the first movie ended. All they did was repeat the same shit from the first movie. But in a earlier time. Skip this bullshit.​

Last edited:

joneblaze

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Pokemon: Detective Pikachu

Welcome to the world of Pokémon.....wait this has been around for over two decades.....

PRAISE: The story of Tim Goodman (Justice Smith) an insurance appraiser trying to find out exactly what happened to his father and teaming up with
Detective Pikachu (voice of Ryan Reynolds), his father’s Pokemon starts off well enough.What really pulled me in was the movies world building.
The SFX and CGI in the film from Ryme city in which humans and Pokémon coexist peacefully to the Pokémon that reside in the woods was nearly flawless.
There's a world bending Inception like scene that was incredible !!
Smith does a fine job,Kathryn Newton as Lucy a wannabe reporter but enthusiastic intern was capable.
Ryan Reynolds has some very funny moments and was basically a PG even PG-13 version of Deadpool.
The film even pulls off a couple of moving moments.

PROBLEMS:The story was ULTRA predictable !!
At times the delivery of dialogue is really bad and stalled,as if the actors were at a table read of the script for the first time.
Some basic story paths popped up here and there.Some were similar to what ive already seen in movies like Ready Player One and
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom.

Some films are not for me,anyone that was ever a huge fan will probably love,like the kids in my screening that would yell out the different names of the Pokémon when they spotted them in the movie.Even as a casual fan i enjoyed myself.

Scale of 1-10 a 7½

Dirtylakerie

Rising Star
Platinum Member
ARQ Netflix

I kept falling asleep on this movie. But I finally got around to watching it. And I think it's good.

The prince Netflix

I thought this was a solid movie. I'm a big fan of these types of movies. I would recommend this movie.

Father of the year Netflix

This was just alright. There was some funny parts here and there. This is most likely a one and done for me.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Pokemon: Detective Pikachu

Welcome to the world of Pokémon.....wait this has been around for over two decades.....

PRAISE: The story of Tim Goodman (Justice Smith) an insurance appraiser trying to find out exactly what happened to his father and teaming up with
Detective Pikachu (voice of Ryan Reynolds), his father’s Pokemon starts off well enough.What really pulled me in was the movies world building.
The SFX and CGI in the film from Ryme city in which humans and Pokémon coexist peacefully to the Pokémon that reside in the woods was nearly flawless.
There's a world bending Inception like scene that was incredible !!
Smith does a fine job,Kathryn Newton as Lucy a wannabe reporter but enthusiastic intern was capable.
Ryan Reynolds has some very funny moments and was basically a PG even PG-13 version of Deadpool.
The film even pulls off a couple of moving moments.

PROBLEMS:The story was ULTRA predictable !!
At times the delivery of dialogue is really bad and stalled,as if the actors were at a table read of the script for the first time.
Some basic story paths popped up here and there.Some were similar to what ive already seen in movies like Ready Player One and
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom.

Some films are not for me,anyone that was ever a huge fan will probably love,like the kids in my screening that would yell out the different names of the Pokémon when they spotted them in the movie.Even as a casual fan i enjoyed myself.

Scale of 1-10 a 7½

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Saw Trainwreck recently. The Amy Schumer movie from a few years back. It was on TV, so I dvr'd it and watched it in the background while multi-tasking with other shit (as Schumer just isn't very funny, as we all know). The funnier scenes of the movie were those with Lebron and Bill Hader ...

Complex

Internet Superstar
BGOL Investor
Bolden about Buddy Bolden one of the inventors of jazz

It was interesting, but

It also jumped in time a lot which I hate most of the time.

And also he went crazy, so it was hard to tell what was real and what was in his head. Which added to my confusion.

I enjoyed the music(Wynton Marsaillas did the score) and seeing something different even though I'm not a big jazz fan.

Last edited:

joneblaze

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
John Wick: Chapter 3 – Parabellum

John Wick returns to take on......seemingly ...EVERYONE !!

PRAISE: When a person has a 14 million dollar bounty on their head,who wouldnt take a shot at taking the person out even though it's the legendary Wick?
One of the things i have always loved about these movies is the respect for Wick....but in the end It's hey John i have to give it a shot ,and it seems like in JWP it doubles up on the aforementioned.
This is a beyond hyper,incredible,action flick !
If you are an action junkie you get your fix and then some.You will likely do an ecstatic dance in your seats.
The film is filled with some of the most creative fights and action sequences i have ever seen.
Hats off to Keanu Reeves who learned all types of fighting styles and how to handle different types of weaponary.
Kudos to all of the choreographers and stunt people who put the relentlessly entertaining scenes together.
Praise to Director Chad Stahelski and the cast that includes:
Ian McShane, Laurence Fishburne, Mark Dacascos, Halle Berry, Asia Kate Dillon, Lance Reddick, Angelica Huston
Their portrayals of interesting characters that make up The High Table and different assassin factions kept the film involving for me.

PROBLEMS:The film reaches a point when some of the action felt repetitive,but it also blends into something new so thats a minor problem.
With Wick ...well how much can i suspend my disbelief ...how many over the top lickings can he take and keep on ticking?

JWP is one of the best action films i have ever seen,and one of the best of 2019 so far.

Scale of 1-10 an 8½

Rocketman

And I think it's gonna be a long long time
'Till touch down brings me round again to find
I'm not the man they think I am at home
Oh no no no I'm a rocket man
Rocket man burning out his fuse up here alone

PRAISE : It's always a great thing when the person on which a biopic is based highly approves of it.
Starting off with Elton John
(Egerton, who fully dedicates himself to the role)entering rehab and traces over his life that included a distant father (Steven Mackintosh).Part time mother (Bryce Dallas Howard my crush on her continues to grow)and an attentive grandmother (Gemma Jones).
From his play by ear genius at the piano,to his longtime writing partnership and
friendship with lyricist Bernie Taupin (Jamie Bell also very good) wishy washy relationship with
manager Ray Williams (Charlie Rowe) and of course EJ's decent into the pit of drug and alchohol addiction. it's all set to a musical feel and most of it works because the strength of the cast.
Of course i found myself tapping my foot to old favorites like: Goodbye Yellow Brick Road and Dont Let The Sun Go Down on Me.

PROBLEMS: Sure there are a lot of visuals and creative dance numbers as characters react in song to a moment of joy or pain.But it took away from moments that could have had a true emotional impact.Plus i think some facts about EJ were quickly touched on that should have been given more time.

I think anyone who is an ultra fan of Elton John will love this
Not completely flawless IMO but highly enjoyable

Scale of 1-10 an 8

BRIGHTBURN

The Omen meets Superman

PRAISE: Pulled in by the story of a loving couple
Tori (Elizabeth Banks) and Kyle Breyer (David Denman) obviously trying to have a child.Faster than you can say When You Wish Upon A Star BOOM something crashes in the woods near their farm and it contains a male baby.
Ten years later the child who's name is Brandon
(Jackson A. Dunn) starts to realize he has powers a realization that will eventually will lead to terror.

There were some cool scares,and suspenseful moments throughout the movie.Including an ultra creepy dark moment that caught me off guard.
The blend of something out of a Stephen King Novel and a comic book worked for me for the most part.
The amount of blood and gore was surprising but no off putting.
All of the actors do fine in their portrayals.I was actually amused by some of the parodic moments.

PROBLEMS: Predictable.A couple of characters were to naive for me.Horrible facts are almost literally hitting them in the face but they seem to brush it off until it's to late !!
The film was far to short for men and in it's briefness crack of underdevelopement start to show.It never reaches the heights i hoped it would reach.

I praise BB for trying something new in a genre that has some staleness around it's edges.

Scale of 1-10 a 7½

Dirtylakerie

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Close Netflix

This movie was a pretty good movie. The story and action was on point. I would recommend this movie. Btw no dumb illogical shit happened in this movie, a rarity for a Netflix film.

The Land

This was a great movie. Im definitely going to watch this movie again. It's cool seeing and recognizing. The different parts of the city in here.

Dirtylakerie

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Ash vs evil dead season 3 Netflix

I enjoyed watching the final season. It's a shame it got cancelled. But I can live how it ended. I read Bruce Campbell said he's done playing the character. He said he had a great time with the series. But it's over for him.

Death house Netflix

I would skip this Trainwreck.

GhostShip Netflix

Saw this movie for the first time Saturday. And I thought it was a pretty good movie. Shit had a twist ending. That I thought was hilarious. I would recommend this movie.

D@mnphins

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
GhostShip Netflix

Saw this movie for the first time Saturday. And I thought it was a pretty good movie. Shit had a twist ending. That I thought was hilarious. I would recommend this movie.[/QUOTE]
Ghost Ship is that the one with the rope that split everyone in half