Movie News: MICHAEL - Antoine Fuqua’s Michael Jackson Biopic Gets Global Release Date starring Jafaar Jackson

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

See cast of upcoming Michael Jackson biopic and the real people they're playing​

Director Antoine Fuqua's "Michael" will be led by Jaafar Jackson, nephew of the late King of Pop.
By
Maureen Lee Lenker

Updated on January 30, 2024

Antoine Fuqua wants to be startin' something.

The director is assembling an all-star cast for his upcoming Michael Jackson biopic, tentatively titled simply Michael. The film will follow the life of the late King of Pop, from his early days as a member of family group the Jackson 5 alongside his siblings through to his career-defining triumphs as a solo artist. Michael will trace both Jackson's triumphs and tragedies as it examines both his personal struggles and his most iconic performances.
Fuqua (Training Day) will direct from a script by John Logan (Skyfall, Gladiator). The movie is currently in production with Lionsgate and Universal Pictures International slated to release it on April 18, 2025.
Let's take a look at the cast and their real-life counterparts.
01of 04

Jaafar Jackson as Michael Jackson​

Jaafar Jackson and Michael Jackson

Jaafar Jackson as Michael Jackson. GABRIEL OLSEN/GETTY IMAGES; FRANK EDWARDS/FOTOS INTERNATIONAL/GETTY IMAGES
When you're dealing with the Jackson clan, it has to be a family affair. Jaafar Jackson, the King of Pop's nephew, will portray the music legend, marking his first major role in a feature film. "It's uncanny how much he's like Michael," Fuqua told EW. "Sounds like him, dances like him, sings. It's really uncanny. Graham King, who is a fantastic producer, found him, and introduced him to me, and I was blown away." If you don't believe him, just take a look at the picture.

02of 04

Juliano Krue Valdi as young Michael​

Juliano Krue Valdi and Michael Jackson

Juliano Krue Valdi and Michael Jackson.
GLEN WILSON; MICHAEL OCHS ARCHIVES/GETTY IMAGES
Michael will cover the entire span of Jackson's life from his days as a child star up to his untimely death at age 50. But finding someone to embody the preternaturally talented young Michael is a tall order. Fuqua found his boy in 9-year-old Juliano Krue Valdi, who has been sharing videos of himself dancing to Jackson's music for the last five years and amassed over 150,000 Instagram followers in the process.

03of 04

Colman Domingo as Joe Jackson​

Colman Domingo and Joe Jackson

Colman Domingo and Joe Jackson.
MOMODU MANSARAY/GETTY IMAGES; DAVID HUME KENNERLY/GETTY IMAGES
Fresh off his Oscar nomination for Rustin, Colman Domingo is booked and busy, including as the notorious Jackson patriarch. Joe Jackson has long remained a controversial figure thanks to his reputation as a hard-driving, singularly focused man. "Not only am I fortunate to have a rich, complex, and flawed character to portray in Joe Jackson, but I also have a front-row seat for Jaafar’s incredible transformation," Domingo reflected when the news was announced. Perhaps his second Oscar nomination is on the horizon?

04of 04

Nia Long as Katherine Jackson​

Nia Long, Katherine Jackson

Nia Long, Katherine Jackson.
MATT WINKELMEYER/GETTY IMAGES; ALAIN BENAINOUS/GAMMA-RAPHO VIA GETTY IMAGES
Jackson found his greatest champion in his mother, Katherine Jackson, who will be portrayed by Nia Long (Boyz N the Hood, Love Jones). "Katherine Jackson is an incredible pillar of strength and grace for the entire Jackson family," Long said in a statement. "As a mother, she was selfless and endured forces beyond her control yet still managed to help build a legacy beyond measure. I am honored to bring her voice to the screen and share Michael Jackson’s story with audiences everywhere.”

mangobob79

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I dont know about this, imho its always tough when a sibling plays an iconic character family member, I really hope it succeeds but have uneasy feelings about it, I pray it pays off tho, its hard to do , its why I was happy any Bob's grandkids didn't play him, there was talk at first of skip but im thankful it didn't pan out like that

34real

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I'm a fan,always and forever but the first biopic is good enough for me and I'm not no rush to watch it again unless they dive deeper and go a different direction

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Michael Jackson biopic producer promises movie will 'get into all of it'​

"Beyond the music, beyond the legend, beyond the controversy, discover the man," teased first-look footage at CinemaCon
By
Maureen Lee Lenker

Published on April 10, 2024 03:56PM EDT

The forthcoming Michael Jackson biopic is starting with the man in the mirror.

On Wednesday, Lionsgate debuted a surprise first look at Michael, an upcoming film about the King of Pop directed by Antoine Fuqua (Training Day) and produced by Graham King (Bohemian Rhapsody). King took the stage at CinemaCon to show the audience the first footage of the film, despite the project still being in production.

"In a biopic, there is added expectation to represent an adaptive, authentic portrayal that's faithful to the subject," said King. "There's biopics and then there's Michael Jackson. An enigma, full of eccentricity, electrifying talent, arguably the most famous entertainer to ever cross the planet. And yet behind the unrelenting scrutiny and the accusations and the grinding media spotlight, he was simply a man. A man who lived a very complicated life. The movie will get into all of it, including over 30 songs, recreating some of the most iconic performances on stage as well as his life out of the public eye."

The promise to "get into all of it" is striking, given that Leaving Neverland director Dan Reed recently blasted the biopic, calling it "a complete whitewash."

Michael Jackson poses at a press conference before a date on his HIStory world tour in 1996

Michael Jackson.
PHIL DENT/REDFERNS
“It’s an out-and-out attempt to completely rewrite the allegations and dismiss them out of hand, and contains complete lies,” Reed told The Times of London. “You never even see him alone with any boys when it is a matter of fact that he shared his bed with small children for many years.” (Reed told Entertainment Weekly he made the remarks after reading a draft of the Michael script.)

Reed's 2019 documentary focuses on the allegations made by Wade Robson and James Safechuck, who both claim that Jackson sexually abused them when they were children in the late ‘80s and early-to-mid ‘90s.

Fuqua is directing from a script by John Logan (Skyfall), The film stars Jackson’s real-life nephew Jaafar Jackson (Jermaine Jackson's son) in his big screen debut. The cast also includes Colman Domingo, Miles Teller, Nia Long, and more.

"When you consider Michael Jackson's extraordinary life, his career triumphs, personal challenges, his artistry, musical legacy, his story is certainly one that's worthy of a cinematic event presentation," said King. "For the first time, not only the hundreds of fans around the world, but generations of movie goers will come together to experience an inside look into the most prolific artists to ever live."

"The filmmaking stories that I've always gravitated to have characters that are multi-dimensional, and where there are elements of drama, intrigue, conflict, emotional stakes," he continued. "Then I try and find the untold version of the story — and try and set it from a perspective that hopefully gives the audience something new to take away creatively. As you can only imagine, Michael Jackson ticks all those boxes."

CinemaCon attendees were treated to the first footage of Jaafar as Michael, which showcased the actor executing many of Jackson's signature dance moves and replicating his uncle's voice, which reporters called "spot on."

It also featured Jackson as Michael saying, "When I'm performing I feel alive, but when I’m not onstage, everything feels foreign to me." Additionally, the footage showcased the younger version of Michael as a member of the Jackson 5.

“Michael, there might be some people who think you’re different," Long as Jackson's mother said in the trailer. "And that’s gonna make life a little harder for you...but you never were like anyone else."

The footage included a title card that touts, "Beyond the music, beyond the legend, beyond the controversy, discover the man."

The movie is currently in production, with Lionsgate and Universal Pictures International slated to release it on April 18, 2025.

Additional reporting by Lauren Huff and Nicholas Romano