Movie News: Donald Glover, Phoebe Waller-Bridge to star in ‘Mr. and Mrs. Smith’ remake Update: Maya Erskine replaces her

ThaBurgerPimp

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
Wonder if his partner will be on set if this gets renewed..

Tdot_firestarta

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
any good?

Excellent imo...
I wasn't really interested in this project at first.

a)The chick wasn't attractive to me
b) wasn't really a fan of the original Mr and Mrs Smith movie, and
c) I feel like this whole "couple as assasins/spies" shit has been done to death and nothing can really top what "The Americans" did in that genre.

But I'll never dismiss anything that donald and stephen glover and his team - Francesca Sloan, Janine Nabors etc create.... there's always so much thought and cultural nuance interspersed throughout their projects.

also, every episode has a 5 mins "making of" clip that provides some insight into the thought process behind the characters and episodes if you wanna do a lil extra digging after each episode.

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
That first woman is walking perfection bro

And great writing and casting

Basically they killed Angelina and Brad in the first 5 minutes

They look comfortable together. I like that they both kinda plain...that's what made the show work for me.
interesting how they built in the finale just in case the show doesnt get picked up for s2. It ends on a question but when you think about the beginning and that douche bag couple....if prime decides to NOT pick it up then we know what the ending was....

I think in the age of streaming and how fast shit gets canceled.. more shows need to start doing it this way.

Tdot_firestarta

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I don't do rewatch.

But I'm STUDYING THIS.

Have you watched all the extras? the vignettes, and the "behind the episodes" for every single episode....pretty interesting insights in the behind the episode featurettes...
The Vignettes have some funny interactions of them from the happy days in their marriages..eg. they were lying in bed and Mayas foot rubs against Gambinos and he's like "was that your foot?!!! why's it so dry!! it feels like a turtles belly!!"

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Have you watched all the extras? the vignettes, and the "behind the episodes" for every single episode....pretty interesting insights in the behind the episode featurettes...
The Vignettes have some funny interactions of them from the happy days in their marriages..eg. they were lying in bed and Mayas foot rubs against Gambinos and he's like "was that your foot?!!! why's it so dry!! it feels like a turtles belly!!"

I HAVE NOT!

I didn't even know they were there until someone told me on here.

I can't find any flaw with this.

This is one of them things where if you don't like it?

Yeah we can't really be friends.

I'm not even kidding

Tdot_firestarta

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I'm gonna learn some ugandan to randomly dismiss some CAC who wants to speak to me.

Hopefully there's no milf nearby who studied in africa and knows that i just said "white man is going to eat you"

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

What Is a Sociopath?​

Sociopath is an outdated, informal term for someone who has antisocial personality disorder (ASPD). This disorder can cause you to lack empathy, which means you don't care about or understand other peoples' feelings. You might not feel remorse for bad things you do, and you might often take advantage of others for your own personal gain.

Scientists aren’t sure exactly what causes ASPD, but both nature and nurture seem to be involved. You are more likely to have ASPD if you have a family history of the disorder or you experienced something traumatic while growing up. You are also more likely to have it if you are male, had behavioral problems as a child, or grew up in an unstable environment. Many people are unaware of the disorder and may never be diagnosed.

Symptoms of antisocial personality disorder include repeatedly:

• Ignoring right and wrong.
  • Telling lies to take advantage of others.
  • Not being sensitive to or respectful of others.
  • Using charm or wit to manipulate others for personal gain or pleasure.
  • Having a sense of superiority and being extremely opinionated.
  • Having problems with the law, including criminal behavior.
  • Being hostile, aggressive, violent or threatening to others.
  • Feeling no guilt about harming others.
  • Doing dangerous things with no regard for the safety of self or others.
  • Being irresponsible and failing to fulfill work or financial responsibilities.
Adults with antisocial personality disorder usually show symptoms of conduct disorder before the age of 15. Symptoms of conduct disorder include serious, ongoing behavior problems, such as:

• Aggression toward people and animals.
  • Destruction of property.
  • Lying and dishonesty.
  • Theft.
  • Serious violation of rules.
Antisocial personality disorder is considered a lifelong condition. But in some people, certain symptoms ― particularly destructive and criminal behavior ― may decrease over time. It's not clear whether this decrease is a result of the effect aging has on their mind and body, an increased awareness of the impact that antisocial behavior has had on their life, or other factors.

When to see a doctor​

People with antisocial personality disorder are not likely to seek help on their own. If you suspect that a friend or family member may have the condition, you might gently suggest that the person seek help from a mental health provider and offer to help them find one.

IS THIS YOU??
suspicious-animated-frog-j1uomgcmkktiwtlp.gif

lengthy

Rising Star
OG Investor
i dunno...when that jew bodega owner was giving them a hard time about charging the phone and she bought up a bunch of shit...and took a bite and licked all of it just to force the issue was pretty quick thinking :giggle: :lol:

Yo when she licked the bread I thought I was seeing things...

Mr. Lengthy

MistaPhantastic

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Watched it. Was entertained but not amazed.
Maya is still a 5 on her best day. I really don't see what any of you see in her but I see a lot of Asian chicks on the regular, so maybe that's it. Nothing at all stands out about her looks to me.
They did to the "Smiths" what they did to Bond where its a code name.
They delved deep into relationship shit. I give them that. I would have actually been interested in seeing the Alexander Skarsgard and Eisa Gonzalez adventures but they clipped that idea quick.
I'm guessing that was the other Smiths' handiwork at the beginning too, since the sniper method was also used in the apartment towards the end.
I don't care for cliffhangers. If they do a season 2, I might check it out but its not "must watch" for me like Killing Eve or something.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Maya is still a 5 on her best day. I really don't see what any of you see in her but I see a lot of Asian chicks on the regular, so maybe that's it. Nothing at all stands out about her looks to me.
They delved deep into relationship shit. I give them that. I would have actually been interested in seeing the Alexander Skarsgard and Eisa Gonzalez adventures but they clipped that idea quick.
I'm guessing that was the other Smiths' handiwork at the beginning too, since the sniper method was also used in the apartment towards the end.
I don't care for cliffhangers. If they do a season 2, I might check it out but its not "must watch" for me like Killing Eve or something.

Couldn't disagree more.

But your not the only person to have this take

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
killing eve was okay the first season and quickly got tiresome after that...

I think halfway thru preproduction they came to a couple of realizations...

1. Phoebe Waller -Bridges looks like Angelina Jolie's slightly retarded cousin
ppRIfUYcl0RWlxp5gSmdzIFFLAS.jpg

and not someone Donald Glover would fall head over heels in love with....they just dont look like they would have physical chemistry.

2. Mr & Mrs Smith had mainstream success and this iteration of it...with no white person in the lead... automatically limits its appeal. Thats why they hedged their bets with ending it the way they did.

3. Now that I think about it theres likely little chance there will be a season 2 because the couple got fired by the company...I guess it could be done with them as freelancers...it might be interesting how that works :dunno: :dunno: but everything about this show pointed to a one shot deal.

If they get a renewel I think Donald and company will be pleasantly surprised the most.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

and not someone Donald Glover would fall head over heels in love with....they just dont look like they would have physical chemistry.

2. Mr & Mrs Smith had mainstream success and this iteration of it...with no white person in the lead... automatically limits its appeal. Thats why they hedged their bets with ending it the way they did.

3. Now that I think about it theres likely little chance there will be a season 2 because the couple got fired by the company...I guess it could be done with them as freelancers...it might be interesting how that works :dunno: :dunno: but everything about this show pointed to a one shot deal.

If they get a renewel I think Donald and company will be pleasantly surprised the most.

Hmmm....

MistaPhantastic

Rising Star
Platinum Member

First season of Killing Eve was excellent. They did great character development, quickly established that almost no one was safe and had a great protagonist vs. antagonist dynamic with both of them becoming fixated and intrigued with one another. They screwed up in the fourth season by turning it into a dyke drama and making Eve more and more detestable as a person. When you are no longer rooting for your protagonist, your show is done. The ride through the first three seasons was pretty damned decent, though. They just failed to stick the landing.

I could see Mr & Mrs Smith going a couple of more seasons - them as freelancers trying to gather info and expose "the company", only for it to turn out to be some rouge AI program conducting a human experiment or something.
I didn't dislike the show but I was in no way blown away by it. While it definitely has its "Atlanta"-style vibe to it at times, it lacks the decisiveness of defining itself as a show. Because ATL was quirky and shifted gears often and sometimes to extremes, it worked for that show (for the most part). This one has a signature but is indecisive on tone. Sometimes its comedic, sometimes action, sometimes relationship drama but it doesn't dive into any of them well enough to be any of them. Now if this were an original idea, it could slide by being another ATL-like creation from the same team, but because it is a known IP, that comes with expectations. They strayed off the beaten path but were able to course-correct at points because it was an episodic series instead of a 2-2 1/2 hour movie. Lucky for them, it wasn't a movie because even if they had compressed the best parts of the show into a movie, IMO it still would have missed the mark.
You can't ignore what makes a movie appealing when spinning off of it.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
First season of Killing Eve was excellent. They did great character development, quickly established that almost no one was safe and had a great protagonist vs. antagonist dynamic with both of them becoming fixated and intrigued with one another. They screwed up in the fourth season by turning it into a dyke drama and making Eve more and more detestable as a person. When you are no longer rooting for your protagonist, your show is done. The ride through the first three seasons was pretty damned decent, though. They just failed to stick the landing.

I could see Mr & Mrs Smith going a couple of more seasons - them as freelancers trying to gather info and expose "the company", only for it to turn out to be some rouge AI program conducting a human experiment or something.
I didn't dislike the show but I was in no way blown away by it. While it definitely has its "Atlanta"-style vibe to it at times, it lacks the decisiveness of defining itself as a show. Because ATL was quirky and shifted gears often and sometimes to extremes, it worked for that show (for the most part). This one has a signature but is indecisive on tone. Sometimes its comedic, sometimes action, sometimes relationship drama but it doesn't dive into any of them well enough to be any of them. Now if this were an original idea, it could slide by being another ATL-like creation from the same team, but because it is a known IP, that comes with expectations. They strayed off the beaten path but were able to course-correct at points because it was an episodic series instead of a 2-2 1/2 hour movie. Lucky for them, it wasn't a movie because even if the compressed the best parts of the show into a movie, IMO it still would have missed the mark.

Hmmmm....

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

I didn't dislike the show but I was in no way blown away by it. While it definitely has its "Atlanta"-style vibe to it at times, it lacks the decisiveness of defining itself as a show. Because ATL was quirky and shifted gears often and sometimes to extremes, it worked for that show (for the most part). This one has a signature but is indecisive on tone. Sometimes its comedic, sometimes action, sometimes relationship drama but it doesn't dive into any of them well enough to be any of them. Now if this were an original idea, it could slide by being another ATL-like creation from the same team, but because it is a known IP, that comes with expectations. They strayed off the beaten path but were able to course-correct at points because it was an episodic series instead of a 2-2 1/2 hour movie. Lucky for them, it wasn't a movie because even if they had compressed the best parts of the show into a movie, IMO it still would have missed the mark.
I think he was trying to break away from ATL....but Glover has a style to his projects much like spike lee and tarantino and scorsese and while he'sa good actor theres a sameness to his acting that comes thru no matter what the role. I mean John Smith was essentially Earn with a gun and a will to kill, right...

I somewhat agree with your points but its pointless to recreate the movie scene for scene in the tv show...they would have done better promoting as loosely based on...rather than leaning into the notion it was a direct remake.

MistaPhantastic

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I think he was trying to break away from ATL....but Glover has a style to his projects much like spike lee and tarantino and scorsese and while he'sa good actor theres a sameness to his acting that comes thru no matter what the role. I mean John Smith was essentially Earn with a gun and a will to kill, right...

I somewhat agree with your points but its pointless to recreate the movie scene for scene in the tv show...they would have done better promoting as loosely based on...rather than leaning into the notion it was a direct remake.
I didn't mean to suggest that the tv show should parrot the movie but rather it should contain the basic elements of what drives the movie's appeal. If the next Star Wars movie was a slapstick comedy, people would be pissed because its not what fans of the franchise expect to see. I think they used the brand popularity of the IP to do their own thing.
The "Earn with a will to kill" comment is a perfect description of what his take on Mr. Smith was. Like I said before I saw this: BOTH roles were miscast, IMO.
In real life, spies are more "normal" looking because they need to blend. That said, Mr. and Mrs Smith (movie) were not normal spies. The sensationalism was there. The pomp and exaggerated display of Bond films was there.
The tv show re-imagined the concept by using the recent "Bond is a codename" B.S. to shoehorn their characters into a universe of their own creation via the premise that anyone can be Mr. & Mrs. Smith. Not a problem at all, except they left out most of the tone and flair of the movie to do so and thereby slightly misleading the potential audience. To comp, they made them new spies to leave room to excuse the awkwardness and quirkiness that the characters had.
Now what the show did right was the deep dive into the characters and their personalities and a realness of dealing with the day-to-day of work/life balance that the movie itself didn't cover as well. Of course, the movie only had a couple of hours to do it.
It was an entertaining show. I would probably watch another season of it. I just felt like it wasn't a "real" Mr. & Mrs. Smith property. Maybe if he had cast John David Washington and Zendaya (ala their Malcolm and Marie characters), it might have worked better for me. The ineptness of he and Maya Erkstine was a constant irritation as well. I got tired of them fumbling their way to victories.
I could stand to see more of that fine ass sista Bev, tho. Bring her ass on back!

Last edited: