Movie Discussion: CAPTAIN MARVEL (Spoilers) UPDATE: Sequel MARVELS has New Black female director!

RoadRage

the voice of reason
BGOL Investor
this is sad.

I was referring to the existing character who is male. WTF else am I supposed to refer to him as?
Don't know, maybe this shim can help you with the questions you are seeking.
tiffany-moore.jpg

As for me, I am from the school of Keep the Surfer a Man, marvel has plenty of cool females they can develop instead!

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Don't know, maybe this shim can help you with the questions you are seeking.
tiffany-moore.jpg

As for me, I am from the school of Keep the Surfer a Man, marvel has plenty of cool females they can develop instead!

I actually agree...I don't think its necessary at all

PRIMARILY because there so many OTHER heralds and Silver Surfer is so established

UNLESS they got a damn good story to tell.

Honesty? I don't believed 95% of any of this stuff and yall shouldnt either

Its all clickbait and trying to push an agenda.

Just wait till the movies come out.

RoadRage

the voice of reason
BGOL Investor
I actually agree...I don't think its necessary at all

PRIMARILY because there so many OTHER heralds and Silver Surfer is so established

UNLESS they got a damn good story to tell.

Honesty? I don't believed 95% of any of this stuff and yall shouldnt either

Its all clickbait and trying to push an agenda.

Just wait till the movies come out.
I get you, but the more we keep saying just wait till the movie comes out the less credible Marvel becomes, because damn near every time it was said, the movie winds up being just as bad if not worse than what was expected!
In other words, Marvel is doing too much, all they need to do is stick to the source material, cater to the target audience, and stop shoving shit in people's mouths! If they want more diversity they should properly develop their existing heroes, for example why not make a Storm movie or a proper Phoenix saga, why not a Blue Marvel film, with them giving him a real costume, not some generic lazy blue suit that they got him wearing.

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
The Marvels

5/10

I watched this for the first time last month with my two sons on Disney+.

The film somewhat picks up from the after credit scene of the “Ms. Marvel” series.

Not going to go into detail being I’m the last person on the board who has seen this flick.

While watching it, it didn’t come off as a movie but more the 2nd season of “Ms. Marvel with how it was presented. Being there were 3 Marvels, they crammed their stories into this short film. A 9 episode series would have allowed more character development between the 3. Also, not enough time was given towards Dar-Been. The only thing good was showing her use the Ultimate Weapon unlike what they had done with Ronan the Accuser.

The 2 parts of the film that had me scratching my head was them arriving on that planet where everyone sings/dance. I was staring at the screen and me and my sons were sitting there with blank looks. The other was with the cats on the space station sucking up the workers to evacuate the facility. Me and sons were puzzled with that one too. All of that probably would have worked if it was a series, but for a movie…those scenes just didn’t work.

The Skrulls, they still were being depicted as a bunch of wimps in this film. I’m still not sure where they are going with them, especially now that the Fantastic Four is coming into the MCU and the Skrulls have a long history of dealing with them, especially with the Super Skrull.

The after credit scene looks to be bringing the X-Men into the MCU from the Multi-Verse.

Other than that, it was entertaining. It falls in the category of “See It Once, No Interest In Seeing It Again”.

Synopsis

Carol Danvers, aka Captain Marvel, has reclaimed her identity from the tyrannical Kree and taken revenge on the Supreme Intelligence. However, unintended consequences see her shouldering the burden of a destabilized universe. When her duties send her to an anomalous wormhole linked to a Kree revolutionary, her powers become entangled with two other superheroes to form the Marvels.

MV5BM2U2YWU5NWMtOGI2Ni00MGMwLWFkNjItMjgyZWMxNjllNTMzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDM2NDM2MQ@@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
Brie Larson Says She Doesn't 'Have Anything to Say' About Her Future with Marvel After The Marvels Fizzled

Marvel Studios has not officially announced any follow-up movie to 2023's 'The Marvels,' which marked an all-time low for the studio at the box office

By Tommy McArdle
February 26, 2024

F1kVXTqWIAAluZA

the-marvels-featurette-4-1.png

captain-marvel-the-marvels-brie-larson.jpg

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
MCU's Biggest Box Office Disaster Finds Redemption in Most Streamed Movie Chart

Arrival on Disney+ garnered 558 million minutes watched in its first week, surpassing expectations and proving its appeal.

BY ANTHONY LUND
March 9, 2024

the-marvels.jpg

RoadRage

the voice of reason
BGOL Investor

Arrival on Disney+ garnered 558 million minutes watched in its first week, surpassing expectations and proving its appeal.

BY ANTHONY LUND
March 9, 2024

the-marvels.jpg
I think most viewers were like me, knowing it was corny but hoping for at least one or two golden nuggets here and there, but sadly it was even worse than I imagined and the only decent thing was the cameo at the end.
Folks were applauding the fact that this movie had a black female director, but unlike Jackie Roberson who grabbed the bull by the horns to capture the moment, this shit set black female directors back a few years.
It's so bad that I think they picked her knowing she would fail so that they could say, look we gave them all the chances in the world, now let's do things our way.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
The Marvels

5/10

I watched this for the first time last month with my two sons on Disney+.

The film somewhat picks up from the after credit scene of the “Ms. Marvel” series.

Not going to go into detail being I’m the last person on the board who has seen this flick.

While watching it, it didn’t come off as a movie but more the 2nd season of “Ms. Marvel with how it was presented. Being there were 3 Marvels, they crammed their stories into this short film. A 9 episode series would have allowed more character development between the 3. Also, not enough time was given towards Dar-Been. The only thing good was showing her use the Ultimate Weapon unlike what they had done with Ronan the Accuser.

The 2 parts of the film that had me scratching my head was them arriving on that planet where everyone sings/dance. I was staring at the screen and me and my sons were sitting there with blank looks. The other was with the cats on the space station sucking up the workers to evacuate the facility. Me and sons were puzzled with that one too. All of that probably would have worked if it was a series, but for a movie…those scenes just didn’t work.

The Skrulls, they still were being depicted as a bunch of wimps in this film. I’m still not sure where they are going with them, especially now that the Fantastic Four is coming into the MCU and the Skrulls have a long history of dealing with them, especially with the Super Skrull.

The after credit scene looks to be bringing the X-Men into the MCU from the Multi-Verse.

Other than that, it was entertaining. It falls in the category of “See It Once, No Interest In Seeing It Again”.

Synopsis

Carol Danvers, aka Captain Marvel, has reclaimed her identity from the tyrannical Kree and taken revenge on the Supreme Intelligence. However, unintended consequences see her shouldering the burden of a destabilized universe. When her duties send her to an anomalous wormhole linked to a Kree revolutionary, her powers become entangled with two other superheroes to form the Marvels.

MV5BM2U2YWU5NWMtOGI2Ni00MGMwLWFkNjItMjgyZWMxNjllNTMzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDM2NDM2MQ@@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

Damn it.

That was fair. I liked it more than you but all your criticisms were on point. I still think folk went too hard on hating it because of the female leads. But if you didn't see the series this was a difficult watch. And it may have actually been too short?

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

BY ANTHONY LUND
March 9, 2024

the-marvels.jpg

A lot people actually ended up liking this.

They got a lot of legit reasons this failed but it doesn't matter. It wasn't great. But it was far from the worst by any means.

And the amount of people who ended up watching this and even hate watching proves there WAS an audience for this.

@blackbull1970 is right it kinda felt "small". And that's why most think if it was tv series it would have done better. I've made a conscious effort to try to better by comments opinions and criticism about all things lately. I don't want to keep saying what they SHOULD have done and what I WANTED THEM TO DO. WTF do I know?

I liked it the kids loved it. But it was edited wrong you can FEEL the covid layoff and the struggle to find a tone. I actually thought the singing planet was fun but wacky and came out of left field and was a little bit of pandering to the Ms Marvel bollywood thing which is fine. But just make it sense in the context of the story. I think there is a much better version of this in the cutting room floor.

Oh and last thing...if you don't have a strong villian ? Don't shoot the f**king movie.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Ms. Marvel star Iman Vellani has ‘been assured’ by Marvel she’ll return to the MCU

Though she doesn’t know when

By Susana Polo
Mar 1, 2024

JER_102_15353_R.0.jpg

F**king A right she better be

Her series might be the best Marvel property on Disney +

That's their secret weapon. She is amazing. I mean Tom Holland level. Franchise saving good. She (and her whole family) were the best thing about the Marvel's.

Feige better figure this out.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Brie Larson Says She Doesn't 'Have Anything to Say' About Her Future with Marvel After The Marvels Fizzled

Marvel Studios has not officially announced any follow-up movie to 2023's 'The Marvels,' which marked an all-time low for the studio at the box office

By Tommy McArdle
February 26, 2024

F1kVXTqWIAAluZA

the-marvels-featurette-4-1.png

captain-marvel-the-marvels-brie-larson.jpg

Brie is my girl... I like her get down.

Very talented funny quirky sexy hell of an actor.

But.... full disclosure? I never wanted her to be Captain Marvel. She is good!! Don't get me wrong. And I was curious if they were going to have her date Falcon which I think would have worked great especially with their personalities on and off screen.

I get into fights all the time because I still believe cosmic characters are tough as heck to write especially because these power levels are ridiculously high.

They need to keep her in space which is tricky because they haven't been able to make it work outside the Guardians. Secret invasion was...let's not talk about it. Skull? Eternals? Adam Strange? They got alot of work to do and I hope they actually keep Bree and figure this all out with the Kang resolution and Secret Warsband Young Avengers.

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
I think most viewers were like me, knowing it was corny but hoping for at least one or two golden nuggets here and there, but sadly it was even worse than I imagined and the only decent thing was the cameo at the end.
Folks were applauding the fact that this movie had a black female director, but unlike Jackie Roberson who grabbed the bull by the horns to capture the moment, this shit set black female directors back a few years.
It's so bad that I think they picked her knowing she would fail so that they could say, look we gave them all the chances in the world, now let's do things our way.

It was a good movie, not the greatest but it was entertaining.

I’m suspecting what is killing the box office revenue for these movies is streaming.

Prior to 30 years ago before cable/VHS in the 90s became popular, when a movie debuted in theaters, if you didn’t catch that film on its initial release, you were basically shit out of luck.

Unless you lived in an area that had Dollar Cinemas which usually were rural areas, it could be years before that film made it to network TV. And when it did come on TV, because of censors and time, the majority of the film was chopped down. Star Wars came out in theaters in 1977 and didn’t debut on TV until 1984.

In the 90s within a year of release, a film would hit PPV and shortly after on cable like HBO and then VHS.

Nowadays, a film can come out right now and be on streaming by Memorial Day. With this current economy and the cost of living, if you do the math. To take a family of 5 to the theater to watch a matinee and buy popcorn/drinks could cost near $100 or more depending on where you live.

A streaming service monthly cost on average is $15.

Folks are like “I’ll just wait for it on streaming”.

I’m one of those people.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

@blackbull1970

I can't be mad.

This is exactly what these youtube wannabe studio execs said they should do right? I personally think they each deserve another bite at the apple BUT negative public sentiment associated with those specific titles are too fresh and could sully the whole brand further.

I like how Feige handling this now. Small victories piling up until Deadpool

RoadRage

the voice of reason
BGOL Investor

Gave them enough rope to hang themselves, and instead of taking the bull by the horn by producing excellence like Jackie Robinson, these idiots produced a pile of shit making it harder for the next Black female director. Yo they knew what they were doing, and y'all fell for it!