Movie Discussion: CAPTAIN MARVEL (Spoilers) UPDATE: Sequel MARVELS has New Black female director! Feb 2023 most-watched film on any streaming

robinsee

Rising Star
Registered
that dude in here crying about Star Wars and hollywood female agendas sounds JUST like them musty ass mountain dew drinking 40 y/o gamers

they just KNOW they’re right too

there were a multitude of problems with SW 7&8 and SOLO that came WAY before the hollywood female agenda they love to talk about

i have faith in Captain Marvel though

although, im not blind, i DO see the shift with female leads. i dont see it as bad unless its forced.

Last edited:

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
No way captain marvel does $150 million opening. Shit the last Spider-Man movie did $113 million max and Spider-Man is very popular marvel character.

Captain marvel is a nobody and nobody asked for this movie

Also they need to stop comparing this to black panther. Black panther was in civil war and he was the fan favorite and plus he was in the infinity war trailer. So you add the black audience and that’s how he did the $200 million opening.

Captain marvel has no real fans. Her comic was canceled 5 times.

You add the fact that the lead actress was walking shit about white males (which makes up 70% marvel audience) and there is a massive boycott. I can tell you this I deal with white nerd Fanboys all the time. They are very spiteful

Where is she getting the $150 million from again?

Venom is also a popular character and he barely made $80 million so how is captain marvel making double that ?

like I said we will see... VERY SOON

my thing is IF you wrong...

what you gonna say?

forcesteeler

Rising Star
Registered
like I said we will see... VERY SOON

my thing is IF you wrong...

what you gonna say?

If I’m wrong I will admit I’m wrong but captain marvel will opening up at $75 million. There is no way this movie will break $100 million.

$150 million is way to high. There is no way this character will outsell Spider-Man. The most Spider-Man ever made in a opening weekend is $113 million.

I will trust DR Who. He is right on the money as always

850credit

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I'll watch it at home on IPTV. It doesn't look worth paying for to me. I saw Aquaman at home and am glad I didn't pay for that either.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
If I’m wrong I will admit I’m wrong but captain marvel will opening up at $75 million. There is no way this movie will break $100 million.

$150 million is way to high. There is no way this character will outsell Spider-Man. The most Spider-Man ever made in a opening weekend is $113 million.

I will trust DR Who. He is right on the money as always

OK bet.

And if I''m wrong I will readily salute all those who predicted it correctly.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
captainmarvel-magiceye-sunglasses-full-700x700.jpg

Day_Carver

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Captain Marvel expected to be a box office hero
Mar. 4, 2019 7:26 AM ET|About: AMC Entertainment Holding... (AMC)|By: Clark Schultz, SA News Editor

Captain Marvel is expected to give a boost to Disney (NYSE:DIS) and theater names Cinemark (NYSE:CNK), IMAX(NYSE:IMAX), Cineworld (OTC:CNWGY) and AMC Entertainment (NYSE:AMC) next weekend.

Imperial Capital analyst David Miller sees an opening weekend of $125M to $135M in the U.S. for the superhero film starring Brie Larson. That's higher than the early estimates from Variety from a few weeks ago for an opening weekend haul of around $100M. Meanwhile, Chinese box office tracker Gavin Feng posted estimates for Captain Marvel on Twitter that suggest the film bring in about $85M to $95M in China to make it one of Marvel Studios' biggest hits ever in the region.

@forcesteeler :popcorn:

forcesteeler

Rising Star
Registered
I’m lowering my estimates. No way this movie is beating ant man and the wasp. Early reviews are rolling in and deep down the press hates this movie. It’s still getting a 90% rotten score because Disney has these reviewers scared and in there pockets. But I predict a huge 2nd week drop off once word of mouth hits.

Movie will make $550 million max. Which is not a flop but way below marvel standards

AllUniverse17

Rising Star
Registered
Cant wait to see those reviews. So far none of the promotional stuff has impressed me. Trying to keep my hopes up.

CurtDawg

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Okay who's going to "take one for the team"
And report back after watching it in the theaters
Me personally, I'm waiting for BGOL Cinemas
@slam @Shocker help a brotha out ;)
I have a bad feeling about this one, so I'm not going to waste my money
Unless someone reports, that the movie was fire
:puzzled::puzzled::puzzled::puzzled::puzzled::puzzled:

darth frosty

Dark Lord of the Sith
BGOL Investor
Okay who's going to "take one for the team"
And report back after watching it in the theaters
Me personally, I'm waiting for BGOL Cinemas
@slam @Shocker help a brotha out ;)
I have a bad feeling about this one, so I'm not going to waste my money
Unless someone reports, that the movie was fire
:puzzled::puzzled::puzzled::puzzled::puzzled::puzzled:

Already have my nerd tickets for Thursday night showing will let you know what I think .

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Finally, Women Have Their Own Mediocre Marvel Movie
Captain Marvel is just as formulaic as countless other superhero films. That’s a triumph.

By DANA STEVENS

MARCH 05, 20197:48 PM
Brie Larson in Captain Marvel.
Marvel Studios/Walt Disney Studios

Just before she won the best actress Oscar for Room in 2016, Brie Larson made a point of hugging each and every one of the sexual-abuse survivors who had been brought onstage during a performance of a Lady Gaga song about the prevalence of assault on college campuses. Only a few months later, at the same San Diego Comic-Con where the Black Panther cast was introduced, Larson was announced as the new Captain Marvel, the first female superhero to lead her own film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.In the time since, Larson has continued to use her public platform to advocate for issues from income equality in the entertainment industry to the Time’s Up movement. She’s also been vocal on the press tour for Captain Marvel about wanting to increase the racial and gender diversity of the panels of critics she sits down with. Larson’s earnest, politically tinged approach to tentpole movie stardom has earned her mockery from some quarters: Is she really trying to frame playing a superhero in a $152 million franchise blockbuster as an activist choice?

As a fan of Larson’s since noticing her outstanding performance as the teenage daughter of Woody Harrelson’s rogue cop in the 2011 drama Rampart, I’m inclined to defend her against the charge that her outspoken advocacy is nothing but empty grandstanding. As the commercial and critical success of Black Panther, as well as of DC Comics’ Wonder Woman, has shown, there is a real hunger among moviegoers for crowd-pleasing, action-packed comic-book blockbusters that also have something to say about contemporary issues of representation and equality. And if Larson’s ardently expressed wish that Captain Marvel not just entertain but Matter might come off as a tad self-serious, that tone is nothing if not in keeping with the character of Carol Danvers, aka Captain Marvel—a serious, stolid type whose steel will and laser-focused commitment to her mission make her a formidable foe even when her fists aren’t glowing orange with photon-blasting superpowers.

Like Superman, Captain Marvel is arguably too physically powerful and morally pure to be all that interesting a character, but Larson plays her with a frank, tomboyish physicality that’s appealing. It’s worth noting that, unlike Wonder Woman’s tenderhearted Diana, the captain is given no on-screen love interest, not so much as a passing flirtation to distract from the business of universe-saving. It’s hard to picture this slightly butch-er superheroine pausing mid-mission, Gal Gadot–style, to moon over a cute baby or shop for a period-appropriate outfit. When not kitted out in her Captain Marvel suit—much less revealing than Gadot’s Wonder Woman getup—she spends much of the film in a baggy Nine Inch Nails T-shirt filched from a store mannequin.

Co-written and directed by the husband-and-wife team of Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck (who earlier collaborated on such indie dramas as Half Nelson, Sugar, and Mississippi Grind), Captain Marvel is the second-to-last movie in a 22-film arc that’s been building since Iron Man in 2008. Captain Marvel’s position as the penultimate piece in what by now has become a complex, multiverse-spanning puzzle puts a lot of expositional weight on its plot, which gives us an origin story not only for the title character but for the Avengers series as a whole.

As the grunge music on the soundtrack and the jokes about pagers and dial-up modems keep reminding us, Captain Marvel is set in the mid-1990s, when the idea of a team of supernaturally advantaged crusaders for justice was not yet a twinkle in the eye of S.H.I.E.L.D Agent Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson). In fact, this movie takes place when Fury still had two eyes, rather than the rakish eyepatch he wears in the rest of the series; Jackson has been digitally “youthened” to appear two decades younger, with so much success it takes a few minutes to adjust to his full hairline and eerily unlined face. Fury, who’s usually relegated to the dramatically unrewarding task of getting the gang back together, gets a chance to show his more vulnerable side, even bonding with an orange tabby cat named Goose who stows away with the agents on their final mission. (No shade to the four felines who play him, but I found the movie’s overreliance on this cute mascot painfully pandering.) Also restored to youth by this movie’s hop into a time machine is Nick’s sidekick Agent Coulson (Clark Gregg), a fan favorite who was killed off seven years ago in Joss Whedon’s The Avengers (though he’s enjoyed an active afterlife in the Marvel TV spinoff Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.).

Agents Coulson and Fury first encounter the captain when she’s hurled through space from the faraway planet she calls home, dropping through the roof of a Los Angeles Blockbuster Video.
As a fighter-in-training for the Kree—an alien force of what Carol identifies, unmodestly, as “noble warrior heroes”—she has been sent to earth by her commander, the exacting Yon-Rogg (Jude Law) to make sure that a light-speed engine invented by her former mentor (Annette Bening) doesn’t fall into the wrong hands. The hands in question would be the green-tinged extremities of the Skrulls, a verdant, pointy-eared race of beings who are the Kree’s sworn enemies. But as the film goes on, Carol, who begins the movie unsure of her identity and even her own name, finds her loyalty torn among the Kree, the Skrulls, and the humans—denizens of the planet known to the Kree only as “C-53,” and which one alien character casually dismisses as a “shithole.”

Captain Marvelsometimes resembles the kind of low-budget sci-fi that might have played on kids’ TV on a Saturday afternoon in the era when this movie isset.
Especially during its pleasantly meandering middle stretch, Captain Marvel sometimes resembles the kind of low-budget sci-fi that might have played on kids’ TV on a Saturday afternoon in the era when this movie is set. The Skrulls’ gift for shape-shifting makes use of state-of-the-art digital trickery, but when they revert back to their default selves they’re essentially Sleestaks: green-painted actors in bald wigs and prosthetic masks. Ben Mendelsohn plays Talos, the leader of the Skrulls, with gusto, humor, and toward the end, even pathos. Unlike many Marvel villains, he has a comprehensible motivation outside of the sheer desire to wreak harm on the universe.

The motivations, backstory, and even real name of the protagonist, on the other hand, take a while to emerge from the amnesiac fog of her brain. The climactic battle between the Kree and the Skrulls is a tussle over one of Marvel’s many all-purpose MacGuffins (I won’t spoil precisely which one, but does it truly matter?), but the real conflict in Captain Marvel takes place in Carol’s head and heart as she tries to reconcile what fragments of memory remain from her childhood with the warrior ethos that’s been drilled into her as a recruit to the Kree. It isn’t until she meets up with her long-lost best friend on Earth (Lashana Lynch), now the single mother of an 11-year-old daughter (Akira Akbar), that Carol begins to question the story she’s been told all her life about her identity and mission. On the way to finding out the truth, this already stalwart fighter will grow in confidence, compassion, and photon-blasting fist power.

It’s less two months until Carol Danvers will be back in theaters in Avengers: Endgame, an all-star Marvel megamovie that will settle the fates of our current crew of super-friends. The last we saw of the Avengers, their ranks had been cut in half by the cruel machinations of Thanos (Josh Brolin), a brooding purple supervillain who proved to be the first immovable object heroes of the franchise had yet encountered. It remains to be seen what the mega-chinned Mauve One will do when he comes face to face with this new heroine’s unstoppable force. From what we’ve seen of her so far, Captain Marvel may not be the most complex or finely shaded of the MCU protagonists. But given that she’s the first woman to be charged with the duty of saving this cinematic universe, I for one totally support her avenging.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
The dream of the ’90s is alive in the underwhelmingCaptain Marvel

Ignatiy Vishnevetsky

Today 8:00am
Filed to: MOVIE REVIEW

For over a decade now, the Marvel Cinematic Universe has plied us with its stories of conspiracies and smart-alecky celebrity heroes, returning again and again to the same theme: Our heroes are just like us, in that all wish they could go back in time. Think Peter Quill’s mixtape and Captain America’s missed date; Tony Stark’s holographic therapy goggles and the ancestral visions of Wakanda’s heart-shaped herb; that most literal of plot devices, the Time Stone. Of course, given wondrous powers and technologies (or the effects budget of a multi-billion dollar movie studio), who among us wouldn’t try to use them to rewrite the past?

This tendency to find notes of regret and guilt in escapist fantasy logically takes us to the finale of last year’s Avengers: Infinity War and its image of Tony Stark dusted with Spider-ash. But we’ll have to wait until Avengers: Endgame to see how that pans out. For now, there’s the underwhelming Captain Marvel, which, like its hero, is trying to make up for lost time. The 21st entry in this movie franchise to beat all movie franchises is also the first to feature a female lead, introducing audiences to Carol Danvers (Brie Larson), a former Air Force test pilot who returns to Earth as an alien super-soldier with only the haziest recollections of her past life. But while some of the most compelling movies in the MCU cycle—say, Black Panther or Captain America: Civil War—have rested on the shoulders of heroes who understood their own symbolism, Larson’s photon-blasting spacefarer remains a blank slate.

MOVIE REVIEW
Captain Marvel
C
DIRECTOR
Anna Boden, Ryan Fleck

RUNTIME
116 minutes

RATING
PG-13

LANGUAGE
English

CAST
Brie Larson, Samuel L. Jackson, Ben Mendelsohn, Jude Law, Lashana Lynch, Annette Bening, Clark Gregg, Lee Pace

AVAILABILITY
Theaters everywhere March 8

Danvers, the original Ms. Marvel, was an established hero in the comics before she became the most recent character to use the name of Captain Marvel. (Not to be confused with DC’s Captain Marvel, who is getting his own movie with the upcoming Shazam!) Captain Marvel ditches most of that complicated backstory but doesn’t develop the character beyond a handful of beats. Yet it’salso an origin story for the Avengers Initiative—that is, an origin story for the paperwork behind the MCU’s marquee superhero team—that just happens to be set in 1995, the summer of Batman Forever, when comic book movies were still goth-industrial, campy, or some unsightly combination of the two. In that sense, it might be called the ’90s superhero movie that Marvel never got to make. It has the approximate pace and running time of a blockbuster of that era, which means that it’s comparatively short and fast-paced by modern standards. Unfortunately, it also has a lackluster plot; bog-standard chase scenes and pew-pewing space ships; a notable shortage of interesting characterizations; and a fight scene set to No Doubt’s “Just A Girl” that is nowhere as awesome or as silly as it should be.

Not that Larson doesn’t bring confidence and chutzpah to her underwritten role. (Spot-on casting has always been one of Marvel’s strong points.) But her personality gets lost under suits of plasticky armor and in superpowers that directors Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck (better known for indie dramas like Half Nelson and Mississippi Grind) struggle to define in visual terms. Their idea of empowerment involves montages that look like they came straight out of a military recruitment ad. Their sense of the period is no great shakes, either, offering up an anachronistic version of 1995 that seems to be have been lab-grown from dubious memories of the once-mighty brands, bands, logos, and dial-up internet connections of the mid-to-late 1990s. There’s no real point in harping on the fact that neither the search engine AltaVista nor many of the songs on the soundtrack were around that summer, except to acknowledge that being able to spot and grit one’s teeth at these fudged details will make any person over the age of 30 feel Mesozoically old.

Photo: Marvel Studios/Disney
ADVERTISEMENT

Before it gets to Clinton-era Earth, Captain Marvel throws us into one of those long-running interstellar wars that always seem to be going on in the far corners of the galaxy. On one side are the Kree, imperious and militaristic humanoids who bleed NyQuil green. On the other are the devious, shapeshifting Skrulls, who can take on the appearance and some of the memories of anyone they see. In their natural form, they look like green, scaly goblins with big pointy ears. It’s on the futuristic Kree home world of Hala that we first meet Danvers. Here, she’s a supercharged member of an elite squad of Skrull-fighters led by her mentor, Yon-Rogg (Jude Law). That the group happens to include a certain Guardians Of The Galaxy heavy is our first clue that the Kree might not be so great themselves. Another is that they all seem like pricks.

When a mission on a ruin-strewn planet goes south, Danvers ends up being taken prisoner by the Skrull general Talos (Ben Mendelsohn), who whisks her away on his spaceship and straps her upside down into a contraption that decodes repressed memories. Suddenly, flashbacks of life on Earth—basic training, a childhood trip to a go-kart track, a roadhouse bar—come flying back as the Skrulls fast-forward and rewind her brain; in one nifty sequence that recalls the effects work of Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind, her captors make her relive one seconds-long moment over and over as they try to make out a single hazy detail. How did Danvers lose her memory? Where did she get powers? What do the Skrulls want with her? Answering those questions would spoil Captain Marvel’s predictable arc.

Photo: Marvel Studios/Disney
It doesn’t take long for Danvers to escape Talos (for the time being, at least), and she soon finds herself plummeting down to “a real shithole” of a galactic backwater that the Kree call Planet C-53—that is, our own humble, noisy home world, where she makes her entrance by crashing through the roof of a Blockbuster Video. Even before she’s managed to call a rescue with equipment burgled from a nearby RadioShack, the authorities arrive on the scene, led by Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson), future head honcho of Marvel’s secret agency, S.H.I.E.L.D. The 70-year-old Jackson has been digitally de-aged to his mid-to-late 40s, and the result is spookily convincing and mostly seamless. (The same team handled similar effects for Captain America: Civil War, Ant-Man, and The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button.) In comparison, Captain Marvel’s big effects pieces—involving bolts of energy and ominous Kree space cruisers that look unmistakably like the winged headwear of the Flying Nun—seem third-rate.

The all-too-familiar MCU background palette of secret bases, spaceships, hangars, and underground complexes (but this time with crappier computers) contributes to the impression of anonymity. But at least the film has a sense of humor—admittedly faint praise, given how many of its predecessors in the MCU have been funny enough to qualify as ensemble comedies. Here, two characters strike up an unlikely partnership, whup alien ass, make some corny jokes, uncover secrets, and come to the conclusion that maybe, just maybe, superheroes are something the Earth needs. It’s everything you might expect a sci-fi superhero movie to be, if you hadn’t seen one in a longtime.

SHARE THIS STORY

TENT

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
White guys hate pussy. It is hard. Women have emotions and they don’t know how to navigate.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Is he losing weight for a role?
i really think homeboy might be ill. at first i thought he was just getting cut for a movie. now he is looking sickly.

i hope not.

real talk?

Black Panther not only performing on screen but damn near 2 years of the press and spotlight and charitable and philanthropic and just PRESSURE?

from many close sources got to him

I pray that brother and will always support him

It was NOT easy.