Movie Biz: Doug Liman Boycotting SXSW Premiere Of His Jake Gyllenhaal Film ‘Road House’ To Protest Amazon Bypassing Theaters For Prime UPDATE: TRAILER

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Jake Gyllenhaal Responds to Doug Liman Boycotting Their ‘Road House’ Premiere​

The remake star discusses his director's decision to sit out their film's upcoming SXSW premiere.

BY JAMES HIBBERD
Plus Icon

FEBRUARY 27, 2024 1:27PM
Road House Jake Gyllenhaal

Jake Gyllenhaal stars in 'Road House.' LAURA RADFORD
Jake Gyllenhaal has weighed in on Doug Liman‘s decision to boycott the premiere of their upcoming remake of the 1989 action movie Road House.

Liman is refusing to attend the film’s March 8 world premiere at the South by Southwest Film & TV Festival next month because the film’s studio, Amazon MGM Studios, is releasing Road House on Prime Video without a run in theaters. Gyllenhaal stars in the film as Elwood Dalton, a bouncer who takes a job in a rowdy Florida bar.

In an interview with Total Film, Gyllenhaal was diplomatic about the situation, saying, “I adore Doug’s tenacity, and I think he is advocating for filmmakers, and film in the cinema, and theatrical releases. But, I mean, Amazon was always clear that it was streaming. I just want as many people to see it as possible. And I think we’re living in a world that’s changing in how we see and watch movies, and how they’re made. What’s clear to me, and what I loved so much, was [Liman’s] deep love for this movie, and his pride at how much he cares for it, how good he feels it is, and how much people should see it.”

He added, “I’ve also sat watching a film on my computer, or in different places, and been so profoundly moved. If the job of a story is to move people, I have been moved in both forms. I’m a deep lover of cinema and the theatrical release — but I also do really embrace the streaming world.”
Yet Gyllenhaal’s co-star, MMA fighter Conor McGregor, who is making his acting debut in the film, was a bit more blunt: “I’d love for it to be in theaters. I’m for the theater. I understand the business, also … I’d love a call with [Amazon founder Jeff] Bezos.”
Previously, Liman explained his position on things, writing on Deadline, “The movie is fantastic, maybe my best, and I’m sure it will bring the house down and possibly have the audience dancing in their seats during the end credits. But I will not be there. My plan had been to silently protest Amazon’s decision to stream a movie so clearly made for the big screen. But Amazon is hurting way more than just me and my film.”
ADVERTISEMENT

Liman claimed Amazon made it sound like the film could end up in theaters, and the film tested through the roof with audiences — even higher than his The Bourne Identity. Liman wrote, “Amazon asked me and the film community to trust them and their public statements about supporting cinemas, and then they turned around and are using Road House to sell plumbing fixtures. That hurts the filmmakers and stars of Road House who don’t share in the upside of a hit movie on a streaming platform. And they deprive Jake Gyllenhaal — who gives a career-best performance — the opportunity to be recognized come award season. But the impact goes far beyond this one movie. This could be industry shaping for decades to come. If we don’t put tentpole movies in movie theaters, there won’t be movie theaters in the future.”

Yet the situation is reportedly a bit more complicated, with at least one report saying Liman was originally offered the opportunity to make the film for $60 million with a theatrical release and instead accepted an $85 million budget under the condition that it would exclusively go to streaming.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Amazon accused of using AI to 'replicate the voices' of actors in Road House remake​

It did so during the actor's strike to finish the project before its copyright expired, the lawsuit alleges.​

Steve Dent
Reporter
Wed, Feb 28, 2024, 12:44 AM EST·2 min read

7d708de0-d5fb-11ee-b1ff-260ce75ee021

Amazon Studios

Amazon is being sued by the writer of the original 1989 Patrick Swayze version of the film Road House over alleged copyright infringement in the movie's remake, The Los Angeles Times has reported. Screenwriter R. Lance Hill accuses Amazon and MGM Studios of using AI to clone actors' voices in the new production in order to finish it before the copyright expired.

Hill said he filed a petition with the US Copyright Office in November 2021 to reclaim the rights to his original screenplay, which forms the basis of the new film. At that point, the rights were owned by Amazon Studios, as part of its acquisition of MGM, but were set to expire in November 2023. Hill alleges that once that happened, the rights would revert back to him.

According to the lawsuit, Amazon Studios rushed ahead with the project anyway in order to finish it before the copyright deadline. Since it was stymied by the actor's strike, Hill alleges Amazon used AI to “replicate the voices” of the actors who worked in the 2024 remake. Such use violated the terms of the deal struck between the union and major studios including Amazon.

The claim is complicated by the fact that Hill signed a "work-made-for-hire" deal with the original producer, United Artists. That effectively means that the studio hiring the writer would be both the owner and copyright holder of the work. Hill, however, dismissed that as "boilerplate" typically used in contracts.

The lawsuit seeks to block the release of the film, set to bow at SXSW on March 8th before (controversially) heading direct to streaming on Prime Video on March 21.

Amazon denies the claims, with a spokesperson telling The Verge that "the studio expressly instructed the filmmakers to NOT use AI in this movie." It added that if AI was utilized, it was only done in early versions of the films. Later on, filmmakers were told to remove any "AI or non-SAG AFTRA actors" for the final version. It added that other allegations are "categorically false" and that it believes its copyright on the original Road House has yet to expire.

Microsoft has filed a motion seeking to dismiss key parts of a lawsuit The New York Times filed against the company and Open AI, accusing them of copyright infringement. If you'll recall, The Timessued both companies for using its published articles to train their GPT large language models (LLMs) without permission and compensation. In its filing, the company has accusedThe Times of pushing "doomsday futurology" by claiming that AI technologies pose a threat to independent journalism. It follows OpenAI's court filing from late February that's also seeking to dismiss some important elements on the case.

Like OpenAI before it, Microsoft accused The Times of crafting "unrealistic prompts" in an effort to "coax the GPT-based tools" to spit out responses matching its content. It also compared the media organization's lawsuit to Hollywood studios' efforts to " stop a groundbreaking new technology:" The VCR. Instead of destroying Hollywood, Microsoft explained, the VCR helped the entertainment industry flourish by opening up revenue streams. LLMs are a breakthrough in artificial intelligence, it continued, and Microsoft collaborated with OpenAI to "help bring their extraordinary power to the public" because it "firmly believes in LLMs' capacity to improve the way people live and work."

The company is asking the court to dismiss three claims, including one saying it's liable for end-user copyright infringement through the use of GPT-based tools and another that says it violates the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. Microsoft also wants the court to dismiss the element of the case wherein The Times accused it of misappropriating time-sensitive breaking news and consumer purchasing recommendations. As an example, The Times argued in its lawsuit that it will lose revenue if users ask ChatGPT to research articles on Wirecutter, which the news company owns, because potential buyers will no longer click on its referral links. But that's "mere speculation about what The Times apparently fears might happen," and it didn't give a single real-world example in its complaint, Microsoft said.

"Microsoft doesn't dispute that it worked with OpenAI to copy millions of The Times's works without its permission to build its tools," Ian Crosby, lead counsel for The Times, told the publication." Instead, it oddly compares L.L.M.s to the VCR even though VCR makers never argued that it was necessary to engage in massive copyright infringement to build their products."

OpenAI and Microsoft are facing more lawsuits related to the content used to train the former's LLMs other than this particular one. Nonfiction writers and fiction authors, including Michael Chabon, George R.R. Martin, John Grisham and Jodi Picoult, accused the companies of stealing their work for AI training. More recently, The Intercept, Raw Story and AlterNetfiled separate lawsuits against the company, because ChatGPT allegedly reproduces their content "verbatim or nearly verbatim" while removing proper attribution.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Amazon accused of using AI to 'replicate the voices' of actors in Road House remake​

It did so during the actor's strike to finish the project before its copyright expired, the lawsuit alleges.​

Steve Dent
Steve Dent
Reporter
Wed, Feb 28, 2024, 12:44 AM EST·2 min read

7d708de0-d5fb-11ee-b1ff-260ce75ee021

Amazon Studios
Amazon is being sued by the writer of the original 1989 Patrick Swayze version of the film Road House over alleged copyright infringement in the movie's remake, The Los Angeles Times has reported. Screenwriter R. Lance Hill accuses Amazon and MGM Studios of using AI to clone actors' voices in the new production in order to finish it before the copyright expired.
Hill said he filed a petition with the US Copyright Office in November 2021 to reclaim the rights to his original screenplay, which forms the basis of the new film. At that point, the rights were owned by Amazon Studios, as part of its acquisition of MGM, but were set to expire in November 2023. Hill alleges that once that happened, the rights would revert back to him.

According to the lawsuit, Amazon Studios rushed ahead with the project anyway in order to finish it before the copyright deadline. Since it was stymied by the actor's strike, Hill alleges Amazon used AI to “replicate the voices” of the actors who worked in the 2024 remake. Such use violated the terms of the deal struck between the union and major studios including Amazon.
The claim is complicated by the fact that Hill signed a "work-made-for-hire" deal with the original producer, United Artists. That effectively means that the studio hiring the writer would be both the owner and copyright holder of the work. Hill, however, dismissed that as "boilerplate" typically used in contracts.
The lawsuit seeks to block the release of the film, set to bow at SXSW on March 8th before (controversially) heading direct to streaming on Prime Video on March 21.
Amazon denies the claims, with a spokesperson telling The Verge that "the studio expressly instructed the filmmakers to NOT use AI in this movie." It added that if AI was utilized, it was only done in early versions of the films. Later on, filmmakers were told to remove any "AI or non-SAG AFTRA actors" for the final version. It added that other allegations are "categorically false" and that it believes its copyright on the original Road House has yet to expire.

• Microsoft accuses the New York Times of doom-mongering in OpenAI lawsuit​

The media organization is asking the court to dismiss key elements in The Times' lawsuit.​

Mariella Moon
    Mariella Moon
    Contributing Reporter
    Tue, Mar 5, 2024, 8:30 AM EST·2 min read

Microsoft has filed a motion seeking to dismiss key parts of a lawsuit The New York Times filed against the company and Open AI, accusing them of copyright infringement. If you'll recall, The Times sued both companies for using its published articles to train their GPT large language models (LLMs) without permission and compensation. In its filing, the company has accused The Times of pushing "doomsday futurology" by claiming that AI technologies pose a threat to independent journalism. It follows OpenAI's court filing from late February that's also seeking to dismiss some important elements on the case.
    Like OpenAI before it, Microsoft accused The Times of crafting "unrealistic prompts" in an effort to "coax the GPT-based tools" to spit out responses matching its content. It also compared the media organization's lawsuit to Hollywood studios' efforts to " stop a groundbreaking new technology:" The VCR. Instead of destroying Hollywood, Microsoft explained, the VCR helped the entertainment industry flourish by opening up revenue streams. LLMs are a breakthrough in artificial intelligence, it continued, and Microsoft collaborated with OpenAI to "help bring their extraordinary power to the public" because it "firmly believes in LLMs' capacity to improve the way people live and work."

The company is asking the court to dismiss three claims, including one saying it's liable for end-user copyright infringement through the use of GPT-based tools and another that says it violates the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. Microsoft also wants the court to dismiss the element of the case wherein The Times accused it of misappropriating time-sensitive breaking news and consumer purchasing recommendations. As an example, The Times argued in its lawsuit that it will lose revenue if users ask ChatGPT to research articles on Wirecutter, which the news company owns, because potential buyers will no longer click on its referral links. But that's "mere speculation about what The Times apparently fears might happen," and it didn't give a single real-world example in its complaint, Microsoft said.
    "Microsoft doesn't dispute that it worked with OpenAI to copy millions of The Times's works without its permission to build its tools," Ian Crosby, lead counsel for The Times, told the publication." Instead, it oddly compares L.L.M.s to the VCR even though VCR makers never argued that it was necessary to engage in massive copyright infringement to build their products."
    OpenAI and Microsoft are facing more lawsuits related to the content used to train the former's LLMs other than this particular one. Nonfiction writers and fiction authors, including Michael Chabon, George R.R. Martin, John Grisham and Jodi Picoult, accused the companies of stealing their work for AI training. More recently, The Intercept, Raw Story and AlterNet filed separate lawsuits against the company, because ChatGPT allegedly reproduces their content "verbatim or nearly verbatim" while removing proper attribution.

:idea:

@raze @largebillsonlyplease @ViCiouS @TheFuser

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

‘Road House’ Review: Jake Gyllenhaal Takes Command in an Ultraviolent Retread That Makes Slumming Look Artful​

Doug Liman stages it like a Jason Statham movie directed by Jonathan Demme, at once brutally vicious and teasingly humane.
By Owen Gleiberman
Plus Icon
Road House Jake Gyllenhaal

©Amazon/Courtesy Everett Collection

Road House” is an infectiously stylish piece of slumming. It’s a remake of the 1989 Patrick Swayze cheeseball action cult film, and it’s staged with a verve and wit and dynamic grittiness that make the original film look even more rickety than it once did. Doug Liman, the director of the new “Road House,” has always been a gifted maverick, but I still like his earliest films (“Go,” “Swingers”) the best. For years now, he has worked hard to make interesting and responsible dramas, but watching “Road House” you can taste how good it must have felt for him to be irresponsible — to give in to his savage B-movie id.
The action in “Road House” is beyond brutal; at moments, it’s vicious. Yet if the movie is far more violent than your average action film, in its slightly crackpot bare-knuckle way it’s also more humane. Liman stages the pulp for maximum realism (he wants you to believe what you’re seeing), and Jake Gyllenhaal, as a fallen Ultimate Fighting Championship brawler who gets hired to clean up a road house in Glass Key, Florida, gives a true performance. In “Road House,” Liman and Gyllenhaal bring the pain, but they also make you feel it.

Related Stories​

VIP+

How the Film Industry Is Letting Piracy Win​

Final Oscar Predictions: Who Will Win and Should Win at the Academy Awards​

The original “Road House” was nominated for five Golden Rasberry Awards, and it probably deserved most of them, yet it was a modest hit, and it’s a potboiler that’s fondly remembered, because it’s the kind of trash you can relax into. It’s like a Chuck Norris film with a real actor at its center. As Dalton, not a bouncer but a “cooler” (i.e., the coolest level of super-bouncer), who is hired to clean up a hooligan dive bar in Jasper, Missouri, Swayze sizes up every adversary with an utter lack of fear — he’s all Zen blue eyes and cheekbones and “I wouldn’t bother to fight you” lethal calm. He’s like the Western gunfighter reborn as a Buddhist shitkicker.
When Swayze’s Dalton arrives at the Double Deuce, the seedy joint he’s supposed to transform, the place is all brawling chaos (or, at least, the 1980s backlot version of it: an orgy of broken prop glass, corn-syrup blood, and stunt fights that look like stunt fights). But it becomes clear within minutes that he can kick anyone’s ass and will. He gets rid of the bad apples without breaking a sweat. That’s why he needs to be pitted against the local Mr. Big, played by Ben Gazzara with a one-note leer; the more “Road House” descends into this showdown, the more formulaic it becomes. Swayze, who truly was a good actor, holds the sketchy underworld plot together (with a little help from Sam Elliott), but by the end you almost wish it was a Chuck Norris movie.

So why remake this late-’80s piece of nostalgia-inducing junk? Because in a world where some consider the “John Wick” movies to be high art, slumming has become its own form of hipsterism. Liman, who showed up tonight (in a cowboy hat) for the film’s SXSW premiere, has reacted with howls of betrayal over the fact that his film, backed by Amazon Studios, is not going to be playing in movie theaters. Without getting into the weeds of who promised what deal to whom, I think Liman is dead right about one thing: If it were to play in theaters, “Road House” could be a decisive hit. (I bet it would gross $50 million or more.) If the first “Road House” was a better Chuck Norris movie, the new one is something more uncanny — it’s like a Jason Statham movie directed by Jonathan Demme.
ADVERTISEMENT

Demme, the most humane of filmmakers, had a classical and nearly invisible technique. He knew exactly how long to hold a shot, how to structure a movie with fluid ingenuity. Yet what defined him was how he treated everyone onscreen as a genuine person. Liman, in “Road House,” approaches the debased spectacle of sadism and revenge in a comparable way. He milks it for the satisfaction you want from a film like this one — the joy of watching bad guys get what’s coming to them. Yet he never makes it look too easy. He lets the action unfold against a bevy of bar bands doing their thing, and damned if the music doesn’t work in a Demme-like fashion (the way it did in, say, “Something Wild”). There’s something cathartic about how “Road House” serves up bone-crunching vengeance with an island party-tavern beat.
ADVERTISEMENT

Gyllenhaal’s hero, who is still named Dalton (now he’s Elwood Dalton), is introduced entering the gladiatorial ring of a sordid underground-circuit ultimate fighting competition, where all he has to do is remove his hoodie and shirt and reveal who he is; that’s enough for his opponent to give in. What the audience sees is a set of abs so awesome they appear etched, as well as the Gyllenhaal ‘tude. He makes Dalton that rare thing, a pensive and considered badass. When he first confronts the goons who have shown up to cause trouble, he asks them if there’s a hospital nearby (this is his funny form of warning). After kicking the crap out of them in the parking lot, he drives them to the hospital.
Gyllenhaal makes Dalton sincere yet sarcastic, and his punches are so fast they practically stop time. (He also takes one man’s pathetic fist in the face as if a baby were punching him.) And though he’s basically a sweetheart, just like the Swayze character was, he’s got more torment, and more anger, bubbling underneath. Gyllenhaal, with his perfect coif and his stoic smirk, is like Anthony Perkins stripped of self-doubt. He plays Dalton as almost ironically recessive, but you wouldn’t want to get in his way.
Frankie (Jessica Williams) is the owner of the road house — which is now, incidentally, named the Road House. It’s a sprawling getaway on the beach with a grass roof and open walls, like a giant tiki bar. Why does it need to be cleaned up? Because Brandt, played by Billy Magnussen as a baby-faced weasel, wants to eliminate the place so that he can build a high-end resort.

The plot is simplicity itself, but each of the villains has his own maniacal flavor. Brandt, scoundrel that he is, actually believes that he’s a virtuous architect of the community; that’s his evil folly. And once Dalton puts Dell (JD Pardo), ringleader of the local motorcycle gang, out of business with the help of the crocodile who lives under the houseboat he’s crashing in, Brandt’s powerful father calls in a brute-force fixer: Knox, played by the Irish mixed-martial-arts fighter Conor McGregor in a stunning movie debut. Thick-bearded and bulky-chested, with gleaming white teeth, he makes Knox move around like a gorilla on pep pills, and the exuberance of his homicidal fury could be out of a “Mad Max” film.
ADVERTISEMENT

This is an adversary worthy of Dalton — his equal, except for the fact that he’s on the side of wrong. But as the film builds toward their ultimate showdown, getting very vehicular in the process (Liman turns the crashing confrontations of trucks and boats into a kind of nihilistic action ballet), you feel the low-down momentousness. This is not a war that’s going to be won by punching. Only stabbing — a great deal of it — will do.
I don’t want to overpraise “Road House.” It’s a movie, like the first film, that’s been assembled out of standard components. Yet that’s part of its scuzzy pleasure — that it has no pretense about itself, except for the intensity with which Liman stages it, turning the fight scenes into rollicking spontaneous smashfests. Daniela Melchior, who takes the Kelly Lynch role (the local physician who falls for Dalton), amps up the tough-nut romanticism. But it’s Gyllenhaal’s movie. He has always exuded a warm and almost ethereal decency on screen, yet he has had difficulty finding the perfect vehicle for it. Who would have thought that the ultimate expression of Jake Gyllenhaal’s heart would be his ability to punch this hard?

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Jake Gyllenhaal reveals he got staph infection while filming Road House: 'My whole arm swelled up'​

"I felt the glass going in my hand," the actor said of the various injuries he sustained while shooting fight scenes.
By
Sydney Bucksbaum

Published on March 18, 2024

Jake Gyllenhaal did not walk away from filming his new Road House movie unscathed.

The actor stars in the upcoming remake of Patrick Swayze's 1989 action classic (premiering March 21 on Prime Video) as a former UFC fighter who becomes a bouncer at a dilapidated bar in the Florida Keys. There, he spends most of his time engaged in violent, bloody, bare-knuckle brawls. And, it turns out, some of that blood wasn't fake.

Jake Gyllenhaal attends the UK special screening of Road House at The Curzon Mayfair on March 14, 2024 in London, England.

JEFF SPICER/WIREIMAGE
During an interview on Dax Shepard’s Armchair Expert podcast alongside Road House cast member Conor McGregor, Gyllenhaal revealed that he cut his hand during a fight scene and ended up getting a staph infection. "We’re fighting on the floor, fighting around tables, we’re fighting around glass," Gyllenhaal said, adding that he "put [his] hand on the bar [on] f---ing straight glass."

"I felt the glass going in my hand," he said. "I remember the feeling [and] went, 'That’s a lot of glass.'" Gyllenhaal said the cast dealt with "stuff like that all the time" while filming the many fight scenes, which is why he's not sure when exactly he contracted the staph infection. "My whole arm swelled up. It ended up being staph."

Despite the cut and infection, Gyllenhaal said he "didn't sustain any major injuries, [which was] a testament to the team I was working with ... Gratefully, I was really, really trying to take care of everything that we did, and my body while we were doing it."

Directed by Doug Liman (The Bourne Identity, Mr. and Mrs. Smith), the new Road House also stars Post Malone, Billy Magnussen, Jessica Williams, Lukas Gage, Arturo Castro, Daniela Melchior, and Darren Barnet.

Ceenote

Thinkn with My 3rd Eye!
Platinum Member
I aint watching it no way.. fuck them commercials I didn't watch the originals..

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Jake Gyllenhaal’s Road House remake is pulpy, bone-crunching fun​

A jacked Gyllenhaal stars in Doug Liman’s remake of the 1989 Patrick Swayze classic.
By
Devan Coggan

Published on March 21, 2024

0 seconds of 45 secondsVolume 0%

It’s been 35 years since Patrick Swayze taught us that pain don’t hurt. Released in 1989, Rowdy Herrington’s original Road House has since become a camp classic, the kind of blood-spattered, charmingly stupid action movie that probably played on TV throughout your childhood. (I was likely way too young the first time I caught it on cable, but it became a family favorite, and to this day, my cousins and I still like to quote absurdist lines like “A polar bear fell on me.”)

Over the years, Hollywood has made a few attempts to recapture the same bone-crunching magic, including a forgotten direct-to-video sequel in 2006 and an abandoned remake that was supposed to star pro wrestler Ronda Rousey. Now, Jake Gyllenhaal is taking up Swayze’s muscular mantle, headlining an Amazon Prime Video remake that’s just as dumb and just as fun as the original.

ROAD HOUSE, Jake Gyllenhaal

Jake Gylenhaal in 'Road House'.
EVERETT COLLECTION
Director Doug Liman transplants the action from Missouri to the Florida Keys, where local woman Frankie (Jessica Williams) owns a beachside bar called — you guessed it — the Road House. It’s an idyllic Glass Key establishment that’s been in Frankie’s family for generations, but recently, a number of motorcycle-riding hooligans have been terrorizing the bar and scaring away respectable clientele. Desperate to hire a bouncer, Frankie finds her man in Elwood Dalton (Gyllenhaal), a former pro fighter who now earns cash in a seedy underground fighting ring. A one-time famous UFC fighter, Dalton has since fallen from grace, and his reputation is so bloody that his opponents in the ring would rather tap out than face him. The gig at Frankie’s sounds like the perfect opportunity to put his skills to good use — and maybe find some redemption along the way.

What ensues is part wannabe Western, part cartoonish punch-fest, as Dalton hits, kicks, and pummels any sleazy baddies who are unlucky enough to cross his path. (But don’t worry: He’s the kind of nice guy who will drive his foes to the emergency room after breaking every bone in their bodies.) The plot is your standard B-movie fare, as scheming real estate tycoon Ben Brandt (Billy Magnussen) sends a horde of goons after Dalton, eager to acquire Frankie’s valuable beachside location. Actual pro fighter Conor McGregor also pops up to chew scenery — and noses — as an unhinged enforcer named Knox.

But Road House knows that you came for the punches not the plot, and Liman delivers on that front, capturing every broken bottle and slap with glee. Liman’s camera zooms around the Road House with frenetic energy, following Dalton as he crashes through tables or flips over the bar, glass raining down on his head. Liman made headlines earlier this year when he announced that he’d be boycotting the film’s SXSW premiere to protest Amazon’s decision to skip theaters and send Road House straight to streaming. (He later walked back that protest, making an appearance at the Austin premiere in March.) And it’s hard not to mourn how Road House might have played in a packed theater, audiences cheering at every gravity-defying kick.

But it’s Gyllenhaal who elevates all the chaos, and there’s a distinct joy in watching Dalton leave a trail of bruises. The Oscar nominee always shines when he gets to play a little bit crazy, bugging out those signature blue eyes to unsettling effect. (Think of his screeching eccentricity in Okja or his manic gyrating in John Mulaney and the Sack Lunch Bunch.) Here, he brings that same unhinged energy to Dalton, and although the bouncer may seem stoic, there’s a giddy glee flickering in his eyes every time he smashes a bottle over a bad guy’s head. He’ll break your teeth in, but he’ll check to make sure you have health insurance before he does.

Not everything here works: The third act leaves the bar and veers into more traditional action-movie territory, trading down-to-earth punches for cartoonish boat chases and explosions. And your mileage may vary on McGregor’s zany performance: The Irish mixed martial artist plays Knox like a Looney Tunes villain sprung to life, the kind of chaotic baddie who cackles, “Time to go clubbing” before smashing up a car with a golf club. But in an era of gritty reboots and self-serious spinoffs, there’s something delightful about how Road House embraces the cheese. This is a movie where the beaches are breezy and the punches are brutal. Pain don’t hurt, but it’s also never been so much fun.

Grade: B+

Tdot_firestarta

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
What did you think?

Highly entertaining imo

a really good, entertaining action flick that paid proper homage to the original by keeping some of the campy elements.
Jake Gyllenhal did his thing, McGregor was a cartoon... but it fit.

The CGI in the post Malone fight at the beginning looked mad goofy and had me worried for a second but thankfully all the fighting scenes after that were well done and realistic....especially the UFC style fight between McGregor and Gyllenhall.

Been hearing that some people gave it horrible reviews ...I don't really understand what those people were expecting. I went in expecting a fun ride and a modern day B-flick and it delivered... actually it OVER-delivered for me...if you go in with that mindset you won't be disappointed.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Highly entertaining imo

a really good, entertaining action flick that paid proper homage to the original by keeping some of the campy elements.
Jake Gyllenhal did his thing, McGregor was a cartoon... but it fit.

The CGI in the post Malone fight at the beginning looked mad goofy and had me worried for a second but thankfully all the fighting scenes after that were well done and realistic....especially the UFC style fight between McGregor and Gyllenhall.

Been hearing that some people gave it horrible reviews ...I don't really understand what those people were expecting. I went in expecting a fun ride and a modern day B-flick and it delivered... actually it OVER-delivered for me...if you go in with that mindset you won't be disappointed.

I basically agree with your review.

I think the problem was they OVER HYPED this especially the director demanding it go to theatre first becauseit was so good. People said it was incredible etc.

It ain't incredible but it was highly entertaining and it did well on Amazon.

If you went in wanting John Wick which apparently every one wants (yet complain everything is the same but i digress) you will be highly disappointed.

It's campy over the top brainless fun. Not to be taken seriously.

Connor was a little TOO MUCH but I went in knowing that. If he could have toned it down just a notch? I think he could have been legit menacing instead of cartoon.

And I thought Jake did a great job.

They set up the sequel. I don't think that is necessary. But of they could a little better with the fights and a story that makes more sense? Okay