Monmouth Political Poll Dem 2020: Biden stable, Bernie sags, Buttigieg surges (14 candidates at 0%)

Hotlantan

Beep beep. Who's got the keys to the Jeep? VROOM!
BGOL Investor

Dem 2020 Diversity Not a Priority
Biden stable, Bernie sags, Buttigieg surges
https://www.monmouth.edu/polling-institute/reports/monmouthpoll_us_042319/

MonmouthPoll_US_042319.jpg

West Long Branch, NJ – Diversity may be the byword for the 2020 field of Democrats, but it does not appear to be a priority in choosing a challenger to Trump according to the Monmouth University Poll. Most Democratic voters say race and gender are not factors in determining who should be the party’s presidential nominee. There have been some shifts in the current beauty contest – with a noted surge by a small city mayor – but the front-runner spot has held steady as former Vice President Joe Biden reportedly is set to jump into the race this week.

Race and gender do not seem to be important factors for Democratic voters when considering who the party should choose to run against Trump. Fully 87% say the race of the nominee does not matter. Just 5% say it would be better for Democrats to nominate a person of color, which is offset by 6% who say it would actually be better for the party to nominate a white candidate. Similarly, 77% say the gender of the nominee does not matter. Just 7% say it would be better for Democrats to nominate a woman, while slightly more (12%) say it would actually be better for the party to nominate a man.

“This is the most diverse field of presidential candidates in history, but that doesn’t seem to be a major consideration for Democratic voters at this early stage of the campaign. It’s probably a large reason why a couple of old white guys are leading the pack right now,” said Patrick Murray, director of the independent Monmouth University Polling Institute.

Among a field of 24 announced and potential contenders, Biden currently has the support of 27% of Democrats and Democratic-leaning voters, which is similar to his 28% support in March and 29% in January. Support for Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders is currently at 20%, which is down slightly from 25% in March, but still higher than his 16% support in January.

“If Biden does enter the race this week, he starts off with a fairly stable amount of good will from Democrats. We might even expect to see a small bump after his announcement, but the bigger question will be what happens when those voters start taking a closer look at him on the campaign trail. It’s a long way to Iowa and a lot can happen,” said Murray.

South Bend, Indiana Mayor Pete Buttigieg currently has 8% support. He registered less than 1% in prior Monmouth polls. California Sen. Kamala Harris has 8% support, off just slightly from 10% in March and 11% in January. Rounding out the field of top contenders are Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren at 6% (from 8% in both March and January) and former Texas Congressman Beto O’Rourke at 4% (6% in March and 7% in January).

Others who score at least 1% include New Jersey Sen. Cory Booker (2%, from 5% in March and 4% in January), former Colorado Gov. John Hickenlooper (2%, from 1% in prior polls), Minnesota Sen. Amy Klobuchar (1%, from 3% in March and 2% in January), and New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio (1%, from 1% in March). The remaining 14 names asked about in the survey receive support from less than 1% of Democratic voters at this time, which is basically unchanged from their support levels in prior national Monmouth polls.

Most of the top contenders saw a decline of 2 to 3 points in their support since March, while Sanders actually dropped by 5 points and Biden lost only one point. The major exception to this trend is Buttigieg, whose support shot up 8 points from basically nothing one month ago. The other sizable shift in this poll is the number of Democrats who do not lean toward any candidate. This undecided group currently stands at 14%, up from 8% in March.

“You cannot deny that Buttigieg is experiencing a real moment right now, but it’s important to remember there is a lot of fluidity in this field. Voters are not only moving from candidate to candidate but also from candidate to undecided. Right now, the top tier is determined largely by who has a high national profile. This may not gel with how the contest will play out in the early states,” said Murray.

If, contrary to current media reports, Biden chooses not to run, Sanders would move into the front-runner spot with 27% support (down from 32% in March), Buttigieg 11% (from less than 1%), Harris 11% (from 15%), Warren 8% (from 10%), O’Rourke 6% (from 7%), Booker 3% (from 6%), Hickenlooper 2% (from 1%), and Klobuchar 2% (from 3%).

Biden’s overall rating among Democrats has declined following complaints from some women about his interactions with them, but there are two important caveats to this finding: (1) Biden remains the most popular contender in the field by far and (2) his closest rival has also experienced a similar drop in standing during this time. Biden’s net favorability rating among Democratic voters stands at +56 (72% favorable and 16% unfavorable), which is down from +63 last month (76% favorable and 13% unfavorable). It is worth noting that the March results already showed a decline from Biden’s net +71 in January (80%-9%), well before the recent controversy emerged. Sanders’ rating now stands at +44 (65% favorable and 21% unfavorable), which is down from +53 in March (70%-17%) and +49 in January (68%-19%).

REST OF THE STORY
https://www.monmouth.edu/polling-institute/reports/monmouthpoll_us_042319/

gene cisco

Not A BGOL Eunuch
BGOL Investor
After Obama, it's like watching the Bulls without Jordan or the Cavs without Lebron. :smh:

And currently, most say diversity doesn't matter, but it doesn't matter what most say since the extreme left is vocal as hell and will make an issue of it.

850credit

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
If you want to find the candidates who will do the most good, just check the bottom of the list.

We all know it has to be an old white man to pair against Trump.

Dr. Truth

GOD to all Women
BGOL Investor
I truly do not understand it.
The Republikkklans are genius. They attacked her Native American shit and ruined her. She’s a joke now. Democrats are weak and scared to throw blows with Repblikkklans. If you fight back you’ll get some of those on the fence less racist Republikkklans. Democrats think they’ll lose votes or something if they fight back. Weak ass faggits

forcesteeler

Rising Star
Registered
I won’t take the polls seriously. Around this time for the 2016 election. Jeb Bush was the front runner and Donald trump barely made top 10 until the debates.

But the only person that has a chance is Joe Biden to be honest. He has a mouth and still comes from that old school area.

The rest of the candidates, trump is going to run circles around them and make them out into a joke.

It’s looking like we have to deal with the orange shit head for brains for another 4 years :dunno:

Hotlantan

BGOL Investor
I think the poll is of little value and the thread title is a bit sensationalist. Two stars would probably have been more fair, so adjusted.
Monmouth constantly polls thousands of people nationwide and publishes their apples-to-apples trends every month. Every historical poll is online to the public for objective comparisons.
https://www.monmouth.edu/polling-institute/about/
I literally quoted the first line of the pollster. What in your opinion would have been a "less sensationalist" but equally informative thread title? Do you rate all poll threads? Why this one? I'm genuinely curious... trying to learn how to be a better BGOL contributor.
:confused:

D'Evils

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Biden/Harris or O'Ruke or Buttigieg - Corporate/Mod/ Dems

Sanders/Warren - Progressives

Smartest Ticket to unite the party -
Biden/Sanders or Warren

Last edited:

Maxxam

Rising Star
Platinum Member
The Republikkklans are genius. They attacked her Native American shit and ruined her. She’s a joke now. Democrats are weak and scared to throw blows with Repblikkklans. If you fight back you’ll get some of those on the fence less racist Republikkklans. Democrats think they’ll lose votes or something if they fight back. Weak ass faggits

:yes::yes::smh:

Hotlantan

BGOL Investor
I would make it Biden/Warren.

Biden and Sanders would be too fucking old of a ticket.
Sanders is 77 and Biden is 76 but Warren is 69.
153 vs 145: 8 years won't make much difference.
In comparison, Barack Obama is STILL only 57.

EPDC

El Pirate Del Caribe
BGOL Investor
Sanders is 77 and Biden is 76 but Warren is 69.
153 vs 145: 8 years won't make much difference.
In comparison, Barack Obama is STILL only 57.
I'm looking at the non-Hillary woman vote with Warren.

Rembrandt Brown

Slider
Registered
Monmouth constantly polls thousands of people nationwide and publishes their apples-to-apples trends every month. Every historical poll is online to the public for objective comparisons.
https://www.monmouth.edu/polling-institute/about/
I literally quoted the first line of the pollster. What in your opinion would have been a "less sensationalist" but equally informative thread title? Do you rate all poll threads? Why this one? I'm genuinely curious... trying to learn how to be a better BGOL contributor.
:confused:

A lot of thread ratings reflect content, and aren't at all about how they were posted. The "The Story Behind Leaving Neverland, the Michael Jackson Documentary That Stunned Sundance" thread doesn't have seven one star votes because everybody was appalled at playahatian's copy and paste job (though it could have been better).

My beef was with the content. I don't think any of these trends are notable. The Buttigieg bounce feels like it has been in effect forever, so their last poll must have barely missed it. More importantly, the poll is only of 330 people and has a +/- 5.4 percentage point sampling margin of error! Sanders was in second place in both of their last two polls, 32 previously and 27 here. That's stable, literally within the margin of error. He actually could be up a little bit compared to last time, based on Monmouth's crosstabs, and Biden could be 6 points down from last time-- using their poll results! But Sanders is sagging and Biden is stable? The article headline is a false narrative and I don't believe it is being pushed innocently.

I don't expect the average person to understand that, so I mean nothing personal with the rating. With regard to these polls in general, it's really not constructive to worry about who is at 8% and who is at 4% in a poll where all the numbers could go more than five points either way. And the people who push this shit know that.

gene cisco

Not A BGOL Eunuch
BGOL Investor
She got terrible advice on that shit. When she got those DNA results, it was the perfect time for her to say :( "My family lied to me" and make herself a compassionate figure. She was gift wrapped the perfect out of all that Native America fuckery she pulled at Harvard.

Instead, her stubborn ass doubled down on the shit. It's like her interns were Trump supporters.

Soul On Ice

Democrat 1st!
Certified Pussy Poster
I want to triple police and triple prosecutors
I don't care why they're drugs, I want them locked up

Nzinga

Lover of Africa
BGOL Investor
Buttigieg needs to go home. In Canada, the liberals lost control of the province of
Ontario by nominating a lesbian for premier who promoted the gay agenda, and
caused everyone to vote for the conservatives