Money: Stan Lee Reflects on His Successes and Regrets - I Should Have Been Greedier RIP Dead at 95

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Stan Lee Reflects on His Successes and Regrets: "I Should Have Been Greedier"
by Andy Lewis July 21, 2016, 6:00am PDT

READ MORE
Stan Lee on Stan Lee: Comic Book Icon Looks Back on His Career in Photos

"I always wrote for myself," says the silver-haired nonagenarian in his trademark aviators as he settles into a scruffy club chair in his office. "I figured I'm not that different from other people. If there's a story I like a lot, there's got to be others with similar tastes."

The superhero business is booming now, but when Lee — then Leiber — landed his first job at 17 as a gofer at Timely Publications (his cousin was married to owner Martin Goodman), comics were considered a publishing slum. But Timely's biggest rival, DC, had launched a comic about a guy in a red cape and, in response, Timely — which later would change its name to Marvel — was creating super characters of its own. Which is how Leiber — under the nom de plume Lee — ended up writing his first superhero story, in Captain America No. 3.

Within two years, Lee was running the place, with Goodman making his 19-year-old cousin-by-marriage editor-in-chief. Those first decades were not easy. When World War II ended, interest in superheroes flagged. In the 1950s, the public's attitude toward comics turned downright hostile, with anti-comics crusades pushing the medium even further into the gutter. As the 1960s began, a discouraged Lee, nearing his 40th birthday, told his wife, Joan, that he was thinking about leaving his job. She told him that before he quits, why not try to write one story he really liked.

Above: The first episode of 'Stan Lee's Cosmic Crusaders,' a web series about a writer who overcomes writer's block with the help of a team of superpowered alien.

Along with partner Jack Kirby, he did just that, penning The Fantastic Four, a comic that revolutionized the medium by focusing attention as much on the dysfunctional lives of its characters as on the super battles they fought. Mr. Fantastic was in love with the Invisible Woman, the Thing was a cigar-chomping misanthrope, and the Human Torch was overly obsessed with his hot rod. Over the next half-dozen years — The Marvel Age, it has been called — great characters poured out of Lee's imagination, all flawed in some way — Spider-Man (teen geek), Daredevil (blind hero), Hulk (anger issues), X-Men (hated for their differences). Lee's superheroes lived in a real world — the Avengers' Mansion was on Fifth Avenue, the X-Men's school in Westchester County, N.Y. And they occupied a shared universe — Spider-Man auditioned for the Fantastic Four, the Thing played poker with Nick Fury. Lee pioneered geek fandom, addressing readers as friends and peppering stories with insider winks. "I wanted to make the readers feel like we're a little select group," he says. "The outside world doesn't know, but we're having fun."

In 1967, Marvel finally overtook DC as the No. 1 comic book brand, but Marvel always had been the more fun place to work. "He was The Boss — there was never doubt about that — but he made those of us in the office feel like we were part of a team," recalls Roy Thomas, who succeeded Lee as editor-in-chief in 1972, after Lee got bumped up to publisher.

No longer an outsider, Lee had become a celebrity, a troubadour of comic books, appearing everywhere from colleges to Carnegie Hall and even endorsing products (he modeled for Hathaway shirts). During the 1980s, he segued from publisher to genial brand ambassador, beginning the most famous series of cameos since Hitchcock's.

But the one thing he didn't accomplish during those super-productive years was becoming super rich. "I was stupid in a business way," he admits. "I should have been greedier." Throughout all of Marvel's financial ups and downs over the decades — it has been bought and sold a dozen times — Lee, who never was an owner, failed to cash in, at least in a big way. He concedes he signed deals he shouldn't have, like the one in 1998 in which he traded away his movie points for a reported $10 million (plus about a million a year for life). There has been some debate about just how much money (and credit) Lee merits for the creation of the Marvel Universe — his former partner Kirby (who had his own financial ax to grind with Marvel, until his estate won an eight-figure settlement from the company in 2015) slammed Lee in a 1990 interview for getting more than he deserved. But Lee is not living like George Lucas (who pocketed $4 billion in the sale of Lucasfilm). He and wife Joan (they have one daughter, Joan Celia) have lived in the same Hollywood Hills house for 35 years (long before it became Leonardo DiCaprio's neighborhood).

Had Lee kept his points, it's hard to fathom how much he'd be worth now. The three Iron Man movies alone have made $2.4 billion worldwide. "All we're doing is trying to replicate the fun of [the comics]," says Kevin Feige, president of Disney's Marvel Studios. "We want to bring the experience of reading the comics to the movie audience. I always point out that the novelty [of a shared universe] is purely cinematic because Stan and his gang were doing that in the bullpen."

He's still doing it today, just under a different banner. For the past 15 years, Lee has been chairman of POW! Entertainment, the media company he started with CEO Gill Champion, which is responsible for SKY TV's biggest original hit (Stan Lee's Lucky Man) as well as Stan Lee's Cosmic Crusaders, a web series about a writer made with producers Genius Brand International — he happens to be named Stan Lee — who overcomes writer's block with the help of a team of superpowered aliens (it debuted July 19 on THR.com; watch the first episode above and see all of the episodes here).

"For years, kids have been asking me what's the greatest superpower," says the man who turned a childhood infatuation with Errol Flynn into an empire. "I always say luck. If you're lucky, everything works. I've been lucky."

Thanks for photo research help to Sean Howe, John Morrow, Frank Giella, Danny Fingeroth and With Great Power: The Stan Lee Story producers Nikki Frakes, Will Hess and Terry Dougas.

THR_Issue_23_Stan_Lee_Cover_embed.jpg

This story first appeared in the Aug. 5 issue of The Hollywood Reporter magazine. To receive the magazine, click here to subscribe.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/stan-lee-reflects-his-successes-912577

Last edited:

keone

WORLD WAR K aka Sensei ALMONDZ
International Member
one in 1998 in which he traded away his movie points for a reported $10 million (plus about a million a year for life).
i mean it was a wack deal. but million a year for life sounds good to me. his kids and grand kids gone be good

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
http://comicbook.com/marvel/2017/07/09/stan-lee-joan-lee-marvel/

How Joan Lee Saved The Marvel Universe

Earlier this week, Joan Lee, the wife of Marvel Universe creator Stan Lee for 70 years, died at the age of 95. Marvel fans knew Joan for being Stan’s wife, for appearing alongside Stan in a cameo in X-Men: Apocalypse, or for providing the voice of Madame Web in the ‘90s Spider-Man cartoon, but they may not know just how important she was to the creation of the Marvel Comics universe.

At an event held at the Paley Center For Media, seen in the video above, current Marvel chief creative officer Joe Quesada asked Stan Lee about Joan’s role in creating the Marvel Universe, which goes back to Stan feeling burnt out after working in the comics industry for years.

“I was doing the comics and my publisher, Martin Goodman, told me how he wanted them done,” Lee recalls. “’A lot of action, a lot of fight scenes, not too much dialog. Our readers don’t like a lot of dialog. Don’t use any big words, they’re not good at vocabulary. Just concentrate on the fight scenes, that’s what they like.’

“Well I can write a fight, I think, as well as anybody, but that’s not what I wanted to spend my life doing,” Lee continues. “How about some characterization? How about caring for the characters? ‘Gimme fight scenes.’”

Lee brought his frustrations home to his wife, and Joan gave him a piece of advice that may have literally changed the world.

“So I went home and I said to Joanie, ‘You know honey, I think I’d like to quit. I can see this job is a dead end. It's gonna lead to nothing. I might as well leave now and try to find something else to do,’” Lee remembers. “She gave me the world’s greatest advice. She said, ‘Why don’t you do one book the way you want to do it? The worst that’ll happen, he’ll fire you, but you want to quit anyway. At least you’ll have gotten it out of your system’”

That “one book” ended up changing the comic book industry forever.

“I thought that was good advice, so I did The Fantastic Four, which was more the story I wanted to do. It wasn’t all fight scenes and I had four characters,” Lee says. “I could give different personalities to each one and so forth. I did it. I didn’t hear much from Martin about it until 30 days later when the sales figures came in, and he said, “Hey, Stan, you know that Fantastic Four, it did well. It sold more than any of other books. How about if you do a few more titles like that?’ And that’s what started the whole thing.”

“The whole thing” was the Marvel Universe as we know it, and the few more titles Goodman asked for ended up including The Amazing Spider-Man, The Incredible Hulk, The Invincible Iron Man, Daredevil, The Mighty Thor, and The Uncanny X-Men.

“If not for her I’d be sitting here – no, I wouldn’t be sitting here. I’d be outside saying, ‘Hey, you got a nickel?’” Lee concludes.

Without Joan Lee, there’d be no Marvel Universe at all. Marvel fans will forever owe her a debt.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Stan-Lee-in-Captain-America-The-Winter-Soldier.jpg

Marvel icon Stan Lee may be one of the most famous faces in the comic book industry, with cameos in countless Marvel movies, but recently there has been increasing concern that the 95 year-old is being taken advantage of. In February 2018, Lee told the LAPD that someone had stolen $1.4 million from his bank account, not long after $850,000 of his money was used by his caregiver to buy a condominium.

Now, a chilling report suggests that Lee – whose wife, Joanie Lee, passed away last summer – is at the center of a circle of people with “bad intentions,” who are using the comic book creator’s fame and fortune to their own advantage. Those named in the report are: memorabilia dealer Keya Morgan; Lee’s former publicist and caregiver, Jerry Olivarez; Lee’s former road manager, Max Anderson; and Lee’s 67 year-old daughter, J.C. Lee.

The Hollywood Reporter obtained a notarized declaration signed by Lee, dated February 13th, 2018, which details J.C.’s history of living off his fortune without ever getting a meaningful job or her own source of income. The declaration states that J.C. consistently overspends and makes demands for more money from her father, and that it is “not uncommon” for her to spend $20,000-40,000 on credit cards in any given month. The declaration also details an incident on February 10th in which J.C. and her attorney, Kirk Schenck, showed up uninvited at Lee’s home and “demanded that I execute Grant Deeds and convey the Property to her.” The statement goes on to say that “this demand was not acceptable” to Lee, since the house is his principle residence and J.C. has already been provided for with both a home and a condominium.

However, Lee’s “primary gatekeeper,” Keya Morgan (whom the declaration alleges is a “bad actor,” “not trustworthy,” and “[has] used [his] relationship with J.C. to take advantage over my assets, property and money”) sent THR two videos that he filmed of Lee. In these videos, Lee says, “my relationship with my lovely daughter, J.C., is wonderful. My relationship with my good friend Keya Morgan is great.”

Towards the end of the first video, Morgan can be heard prompting Lee to talk about his macular degeneration. “Oh, to hell with that,” Lee says, and the video cuts away abruptly. The second video then begins with Lee addressing “why I signed [the] document,” saying that he has macular degeneration and is “almost blind,” and that the attorney who notarized the document “may have gotten me to sign something that I didn’t know what it was.”

Stan Lee with Black Panther star Chadwick Boseman

THR‘s report also contains a number of other disturbing allegations:

• According to Lee’s former manager Bradley J. Herman, in winter 2014 J.C. got into an argument with her parents that escalated into her shoving Joanie Lee against a window so that she fell, and then grabbing Lee by the neck and slamming his head against the back of his chair, resulting in a contusion on his skull.
  • Lee’s nurse, Linda Sanchez (who is married), says that J.C. found out that she was pregnant (possibly using a listening device planted in Lee’s house), and got it into her head that Lee was the father. Sanchez says that J.C. went “crazy” and started declaring that she would take the baby for herself, saying, “When the baby’s born, I’m going to get it.” In a voicemail transcript, reviewed by THR, J.C. said, “The thing I want more than anything is a baby. It would be a great end to the story. And, you know, [Sanchez] doesn’t get the baby, she doesn’t get anything, but her bills paid.”
  • On the night of March 15th, J.C. and Morgan went to the offices of POW! Entertainment, the media company co-founded by Lee, and took unknown materials, causing the company to alert the LAPD. In another video recorded by Morgan, Lee said that Morgan and J.C. went to the offices to bring him some “personal artifacts” that he wanted at home. POW! responded by saying that they found it “highly unusual and unexpected” that Morgan and J.C. would show up in the middle of the night to remove the items without notice or permission.
The full report goes into more detail, and paints an upsetting picture of an elderly man who, despite his great wealth (and also because of it), appears to be in a very vulnerable position. Lee’s former manager, Herman, told THR, “I’m on the verge of tears, because it breaks my heart to see somebody that I love being effectively held prisoner. He finds himself in need of a superhero himself.”

We’ll keep you updated on this story as it develops.

https://screenrant.com/stan-lee-elder-abuse-report/

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
http://www.vulture.com/2018/04/stan-lee-sues-ex-business-manager-for-financial-abuse-fraud.html

Stan Lee Sues Ex-Business Manager for Financial Abuse, Fraud and Selling His Blood

13-Stan-Lee-Lawsuit.w190.h190.jpg

Earlier this week, The Hollywood Reporter published an upsetting reportabout the many warring factions surrounding 95-year-old comic book creator Stan Lee. The major players, which include Lee’s daughter J.C., memorabilia dealer Keya Morgan, former business manager Jerardo “Jerry” Olivarez, and Stan Lee museum proprietor Max Anderson, have exchanged accusations of manipulating, defrauding and potentially even abusing the comics legend. Now, a new lawsuit filed by Stan Lee Friday singles out one person in his circle as a perpetrator of numerous wrongs against him. According to THR, the suit accuses Jerardo Olivarez of committing “conversion, fraud, financial abuse of an elder and misappropriation of his name and likeness” against Lee through a variety of perturbing, and occasionally bizarre, schemes.

According to the suit, filed by attorney Jonathan Freund, Olivarez is allegedly one of various “unscrupulous businessmen, sycophants and opportunists” that targeted Lee during a period of emotional vulnerability following the death of his wife Joan in 2017. After insinuating himself into the comics creator’s life and firing Lee’s long-standing lawyer and financial manager, the suit claims Olivarez allegedly “convinced Lee to give him power of attorney,” subsequently manipulating him into buying a $850,000 condo and transferring $4.6 million from his accounts. In another scheme, Olivarez allegedly persuaded Lee to loan more than $300,000 to Hands of Respect, a fake non-profit charity ostensibly set up to promote racial harmony. The company was later registered as a for-profit merchandising company.

But if you thought tricking a grief-stricken old man into giving money to a phony charity was the most ”diabolical and ghoulish” allegation in the lawsuit, you are sadly mistaken. That prize goes to the accusation that Olivarez allegedly had a nurse draw “many containers” of Lee’s blood, which was then sold “in Las Vegas as a collectible” for “thousands of dollars” without Lee’s consent. All of which is to say, if you’re in Vegas this weekend and you see Marvel Comics legend (and millionaire) Stan Lee’s actual blood for sale, please, think twice before you buy it, as it is a pretty clear sign something has gone terribly wrong.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Stan-Lee-Cameo-The-Gifted.jpg

Marvel legend Stan Lee is once again being accused of sexual misconduct, following on from troubling reports that the 95 year old is the victim of an elder abuse scandal.

The co-creator of iconic Marvel heroes, Lee has become the much loved public face of the company over the years; his cameo appearances in Marvel movies are always eagerly awaited, and his presence on many panels have brought great joy to many fans. However, Lee’s impeccable reputation took a battering back in January when, in the wake of the Me Too movement, several women came forward to accuse Lee of sexual harassment.

The women, who had all worked for a nursing agency providing care for Lee, claimed he groped the young female nurses, walked around naked, and demanded oral sex from them. In a strongly worded statement, Lee’s attorney denied the accusations and instead claimed that Lee was victim of an extortion attempt, with the accusers threatening to go the the media with false accusations unless Lee paid a substantial amount of money over. Following on from that, in February 2018, Lee reported to LAPD the theft of $1.4 million from his bank account, not long after $850,000 of his fortune was used by his caregiver to buy a condo. An extremely troubling and distressing report then emerged in the media, claiming that Lee was the victim of long and sustained physical, mental and emotional abuse at the hands of a group of people led by his daughter, J.C. Lee.

Now, Maria Carballo, a massage therapist based in Cook County, has filed a complaint against Lee, and his assistant, Mac Anderson for five counts, including assault, battery, violation of the Illinois Gender Violence Act, emotional distress and civil conspiracy. The law suit states that during the weekend of 21-23 April, 2017, Carballo was booked for two massage therapy sessions on Lee at the Hyatt Regency Hotel in Chicago. This coincided with the Chicago Comic and Entertainment Expo taking place. Carballo claims that she cut short the first massage session when Lee began to touch himself in her presence, while groaning.

After she received an apology from Lee, she returned the next day for the second session. When Lee began groaning again, Carballo says she switched to a Shiatsu massage instead, using her feet. At this point, Lee allegedly grabbed Carballo’s foot and moved it to his genitals, at which point she packed up her things and left. In a statement via her attorneys, Carballo says:

“For a long time, I was afraid to ask anyone to help me hold Mr. Lee accountable for how he treated me. He is rich and famous. I am not. After seeing other women fight to be treated with dignity and respect, I decided, me too. I am still nervous and afraid, but not as much as I was before because I have other people helping me.”

There has been no comment from Lee or any of his legal team yet, but these allegations are deeply concerning given all that has happened in recent months. It’s important to listen to both sides of any story, and undoubtedly there’s an awful lot happening in Lee’s personal life right now. It’s very much a case of he-said, she-said, and we might never get to the bottom of it all. Lee attended the world premiere of Avengers: Infinity War last night. Hopefully, these troubling events won’t overshadow the movie’s release.

https://screenrant.com/stan-lee-sexual-misconduct-allegations-lawsuit/