Money Debate: Is 400 K per year considered middle class income by today's standards?

Gods_Debris

Rising Star
Registered
Every yr we throw a bunch of bbqs in parks with liquor, even know a few areas you can rent that’s gated off from public. All through Covid till now this is what people been doing. Hell if you go all over Harlem and bx during summer it’s a bunch of people doing it. Hell the pier on 25th was doing this bigtime during covid

I said rental hall when it comes to throwing events. It’s lot of places you can rent out

You do know I throw parties for living so this is my expertise as far as renting spots, throwing private events, etc

Idk why you mentioning families when we were talking about comparing popping bottles in the club to throwing your own private event in a rental hall, rental place, air bnb, park, etc
It was clear he ain't know who he was talking to

yaBoi

X-pert Professional
Platinum Member
i've seen (quick google search) median income for New York city in 2022 was 71,000 to about 110k

it must be a lot of broke people in New York city if middle class is 400k

Da Backshot Champ

Rising Star
Registered
See where you stand. Go to a realtor website and put in 3 bedroom houses for these majority Black middle class neighborhoods zip codes, also for diversed neighborhoods.

Bronx- 10466 or mixed 10469
Brooklyn- 11234 or mixed 11210
Queens- 11435 or mixed 11432
Manhattan- 10031 or mixed 10025
Staten Island- 10303 or mixed 10304

shonuff

Rising Star
Registered
See where you stand. Go to a realtor website and put in 3 bedroom houses for these majority Black middle class neighborhoods zip codes, also for diversed neighborhoods.

Bronx- 10466 or mixed 10469
Brooklyn- 11234 or mixed 11210
Queens- 11435 or mixed 11432
Manhattan- 10031 or mixed 10025
Staten Island- 10303 or mixed 10304
Don't fuck up a belief with facts ...

shonuff

Rising Star
Registered
i've seen (quick google search) median income for New York city in 2022 was 71,000 to about 110k

it must be a lot of broke people in New York city if middle class is 400k
Median is not and indication of whats actually needed to.live here tho .
If you're earning 71 to 110 in NC you're getting paid way above what it costs to live there

On a 110 K in NYC you're not middle at all - just the rent here is 24k a year in a shitty neighborhood for a 1BR ....if you're just getting INTO an apt you're paying almost 3K and that only goes up with a 2BR ( there are no very 3BR apts in NYC at all )

So a family if 4 on a 110k is spending 36k JUST ON RENT

thats before taxes , food, travel etc. ...

If you earn 110k even with the most generous breaks for supporting your family you're taking home only 60K

After 36K for rent you're left with 24k or about 2000 a month for food utilities and travel - and Con Ed here is high as fuck ...food is high as fuck a regular grocery run for me being a single guy can run about 150 - so for a fam of 3 or 4 ???

If you think the above is bullshit and you think middle.class in NYC is a salary of 110k you'll quickly find out you're being lied to.

REDLINE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
If you're earning 71 to 110 in NC you're getting paid way above what it costs to live there

On a 110 K in NYC you're not middle at all - just the rent here is 24k a year in a shitty neighborhood for a 1BR ....if you're just getting INTO an apt you're paying almost 3K and that only goes up with a 2BR ( there are no very 3BR apts in NYC at all )

If you earn 110k even with the most generous breaks for supporting your family you're taking home only 60K

After 36K for rent you're left with 24k or about 2000 a month for food utilities and travel - and Con Ed here is high as fuck ...food is high as fuck a regular grocery run for me being a single guy can run about 150 - so for a fam of 3 or 4 ???

If you think the above is bullshit and you think middle.class in NYC is a salary of 110k you'll quickly find out you're being lied to.

But with 400k? :confused:

A to Dah K

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Obviously you shouldn't be a family of 4 on 110k

shonuff

Rising Star
Registered
But with 400k? :confused:
hmm i said this inec before so i will say it again

if you are EARNING 400 K that means you still gotta pay taxes and expenses - so youre keeping a lot less than 400k

if youre getting 400 K after taxes then you are living a pretty good life-and yeh you would definitely be middle or even upper middle in NYC ....

but if you are earning 400K more than likely you are living and working in circles where youre gonna pay on the high end not just on where you live but just on youre everyday .

if youre living in one of the established decent ( not high end just decent ) neighborhoods in one of the boros OR if you are living in Manhattan then youre paying some dough for either youre condo/coop ( which is usually in the 800K to 1.5 -1.7M- brownstones here go for at lest 1.75 for an empty shell in Harlem - in lower manhattan youre talking 3 to 5M ) for something family sized

so youre looking at about 8k plus just with mortgage and coop fee. or a mortgage of about 100 to a 150K a year.

youre kids may or may not be in a private school - dependant on what it is they are supposed to be doing.... and if they are in NYC and you are trying to get them into college that means everything they are doing will cost you a grip - tutors extra curricular activities and if youre really about that life and setting them up ..that means private school not public so thats another 60K out the window.

after your car ( if you have one ) and garage ( which youd need because parking your shit on the street is neigh impossible ) thats prob another 20K between insurance and garage space( monthly garage in manhattan can be 600- 800 a month )

so already before food before clothes or trips youre already in for 200K .....

so yeh on 400K coming in- you arent starving but you arent flossing like that and on 400K before taxes........

dont believe me about the housing prices in NYC? take a look like dude said at Zillow or any of the other RE sites and do a budget for the nice neighborhoods in Manhattan or Downtown Brooklyn and Williamsburg , Forest Hills Kew Gardens , or Pelham Bay and Riverdale in the Bronx

thats where the highearners live in NYC ...and if you are earning youre gonna live and be around other earners

...youre not living in the hood

this is the same shit in SF if you live in NorthBeach or Fishermans Warf or Nob Hill - in DC its Georgetown ...

there is a world of diff in earning 400k and taking HOME 400k in the major cities NY SF DC BOSTON.... but once youre out and in the rest of the country ( like say Nashville or Cleveland or Austin or Denver ) there isnt much differnce at all.

Obviously you shouldn't be a family of 4 on 110k
but whats quoted is that 110K is "middle" - so clearly given how expensive the city can be - 110K isnt middle .....

A to Dah K

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

if you are EARNING 400 K that means you still gotta pay taxes and expenses - so youre keeping a lot less than 400k

if youre getting 400 K after taxes then you are living a pretty good life-and yeh you would definitely be middle or even upper middle in NYC ....

but if you are earning 400K more than likely you are living and working in circles where youre gonna pay on the high end not just on where you live but just on youre everyday .

if youre living in one of the established decent ( not high end just decent ) neighborhoods in one of the boros OR if you are living in Manhattan then youre paying some dough for either youre condo/coop ( which is usually in the 800K to 1.5 -1.7M- brownstones here go for at lest 1.75 for an empty shell in Harlem - in lower manhattan youre talking 3 to 5M ) for something family sized

so youre looking at about 8k plus just with mortgage and coop fee. or a mortgage of about 100 to a 150K a year.

youre kids may or may not be in a private school - dependant on what it is they are supposed to be doing.... and if they are in NYC and you are trying to get them into college that means everything they are doing will cost you a grip - tutors extra curricular activities and if youre really about that life and setting them up ..that means private school not public so thats another 60K out the window.

after your car ( if you have one ) and garage ( which youd need because parking your shit on the street is neigh impossible ) thats prob another 20K between insurance and garage space( monthly garage in manhattan can be 600- 800 a month )

so yeh on 400K coming in- you arent starving but you arent flossing like that and on 400K before taxes........

dont believe me about the housing prices in NYC? take a look like dude said at Zillow or any of the other RE sites and do a budget for the nice neighborhoods in Manhattan or Downtown Brooklyn and Williamsburg , Forest Hills Kew Gardens , or Pelham Bay and Riverdale in the Bronx

thats where the highearners live in NYC ...and if you are earning youre gonna live and be around other earners

this is the same shit in SF if you live in NorthBeach or Fishermans Warf or Nob Hill - in DC its Georgetown ...

there is a world of diff in earning 400k and taking HOME 400k in the major cities NY SF DC BOSTON.... but once youre out and in the rest of the country ( like say Nashville or Cleveland or Austin or Denver ) there isnt much differnce at all.

but whats quoted is that 110K is "middle" - so clearly given how expensive the city can be - 110K isnt middle .....
Is that 100k for one salary or two??????
stop playing like your slow

REDLINE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

You're correct about the costs and how much it'll take to live a certain lifestyle, living in a certain are etc.

At no point have I or most anyone in this thread spoke about "Balling". Simply seeing if 400k was upper middle class.

As I stated earlier, the more money you make the more you spend. The more you make the better you make your situation and the situation of your family.

So that incurs more bills which many aren't factoring in, but you did which is what was needed.

I think what's throwing people off is that a large percentage of the population, NYC included don't make 400k a year. So if 400k is middle class just getting by, then that would mean that those making less than that are truly poor.

And that's not the case, because people make way less than 400k a year and they're not on the verge of prostitution to get by! :roflmao:

But no their kids aren't going to private schools and they don't own million dollar properties.

shonuff

Rising Star
Registered
New Yorkers must earn this much to live like they make $100K

By Linda Schmidt
April 17, 2023

In a new analysis, SmartAsset broke down how much NYC residents need to make a year in order to equal the purchasing power of a $100,000 salary. "We found that New York City residents on average need more than $312,000 just to take home the equivalent of $100,000," said DeJohn.

Rudey

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
In reality if you reach a point where you are making $400k with a company

1) you need to find a position in that company where you can create a business and have write offs.

2) become a consultant or something

Because paying all that tax would be crazy.

MistaPhantastic

Rising Star
Platinum Member
These bitches got you simp kniggas thinking that you don't make enough money because you can't give them the same lifestyle as Drake n' dem. Regular bitches want Birkin bags. WTF, bitch! You better take this swap meet knock-off and chill the fuck out. Broads spend with their feelings. You have create an allowance structure for them and make them operate within that structure. Get them broads up off of Pinterest. They can't afford that fantasy shit.

If you make 6 figures as a single adult and you're in survival mode, you are seriously mis-managing your money or you are trying to live far above your means.

Americans have a bad habit of trying to look wealthy. That, plus the fact that advertising rules America. Everywhere you turn, you are being bombarded with ads. Less consumption of media reduces that. I know y'all are speaking in practicals but changing a general mindset of what is middle class helps you become aware of how close you actually are. For instance, back in the day, there was 1-2 television(s) in the house. Eating out was a treat. Vacations were once a year. If you can do that now, you're probably closer to middle class than you think.
Buying a new iphone, ipad and macbook every 2 years is an upper-middle class move for single people. Teenagers with no jobs shouldn't have iphones. Little kids shouldn't have iphones at all. Nowadays, you spend a lot more on a phone than you do a tv. Phones that cost four figures are luxury items, period.
An S-class Mercedes is for the rich, not the middle class.
Once you have kids, you should limit yourself to one or two luxury items a year, and I'm not talking about that S-class, either.
The problem nowadays is that people think that rich is middle class. Americans have no idea how well we have it compared to other places.

Dadecountycane

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
These bitches got you simp kniggas thinking that you don't make enough money because you can't give them the same lifestyle as Drake n' dem. Regular bitches want Birkin bags. WTF, bitch! You better take this swap meet knock-off and chill the fuck out. Broads spend with their feelings. You have create an allowance structure for them and make them operate within that structure. Get them broads up off of Pinterest. They can't afford that fantasy shit.

If you make 6 figures as a single adult and you're in survival mode, you are seriously mis-managing your money or you are trying to live far above your means.

Americans have a bad habit of trying to look wealthy. That, plus the fact that advertising rules America. Everywhere you turn, you are being bombarded with ads. Less consumption of media reduces that. I know y'all are speaking in practicals but changing a general mindset of what is middle class helps you become aware of how close you actually are. For instance, back in the day, there was 1-2 television(s) in the house. Eating out was a treat. Vacations were once a year. If you can do that now, you're probably closer to middle class than you think.
Buying a new iphone, ipad and macbook every 2 years is an upper-middle class move for single people. Teenagers with no jobs shouldn't have iphones. Little kids shouldn't have iphones at all. Nowadays, you spend a lot more on a phone than you do a tv. Phones that cost four figures are luxury items, period.
An S-class Mercedes is for the rich, not the middle class.
Once you have kids, you should limit yourself to one or two luxury items a year, and I'm not talking about that S-class, either.
The problem nowadays is that people think that rich is middle class. Americans have no idea how well we have it compared to other places.
Woke up with a Word this morning I see