Money Debate: Is 400 K per year considered middle class income by today's standards?

D24OHA

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Got a homie from OSU, just moved 90 minutes outside LA, 3k Sq ft crib sits on a whole acre paid just under 500K after flipping his first 3 cribs all for profits.....

Dude probably makes $100 - $150k /yr....no kids....he's living good. And can travel to "the city" whenever he likes..... $400k is not rich in 2021 in any part of the USA....it is upper middle class, but depending on the city you can definitely live more comfortably than others.

lazarus

waking people up
BGOL Investor
you are above middle class but i wouldn't consider you rich. upper middle class to me is basic doctors or lawyers. 4ook is a successful businessman owner. i consider that high class just one notch over upper middle class. you can maximize your earnings with location.

bums 5k less
poor 6-25
working class 26-45
lower middle class 46-70
middle class 71-99
upper middle class 100-250
high class 251-1 mil
rich 1.1 - 10.5 mil
wealthy 10.6 +

woodchuck

A crowd pleasing man.
OG Investor
Woodchuck let me hold something.
On the real, I made 105k last year. I have 2 kids in college and supporting the baby mama who's now supposedly disabled:rolleyes2:. Seriously it feels like I'm single making 26k a year.
Shit, you make more than me! I only made 129k. I normally make 84k, but I got a bonus this year, plus we sold the company. My wife made the rest! Outside of the extra shit I got this year, we're at about 240K/year.

Last edited:

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Any person earning over $400K is in the top 1.8% of all earners in the US.

This is rich. Do not confuse the lifestyle of rappers, actors, and athletes with real life. A person earning over $150K is fairly comfortable.
According to the irs anybody making 470,000 and up in 2021 is considered rich.. so by the nigs that help run the financial system 400,000 isn’t rich..close but no cigar

Tito_Jackson

Truth Teller
Registered
According to the irs anybody making 470,000 and up in 2021 is considered rich.. so by the nigs that help run the financial system 400,000 isn’t rich..close but no cigar

Actually, what it says is...

With a $500,000+ income, you are considered rich, wherever you live! According to the IRS, any household who makes over $470,000 a year in 2021 is considered a top 1% income earner.

But, let's not split hairs. $400K is rich and is the top 1.8%. When you earn more than 98% of everybody in the country, you are rich.

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Actually, what it says is...

With a $500,000+ income, you are considered rich, wherever you live! According to the IRS, any household who makes over $470,000 a year in 2021 is considered a top 1% income earner.

But, let's not split hairs. $400K is rich and is the top 1.8%. When you earn more than 98% of everybody in the country, you are rich.
So you even gonna argue with the irs on what they consider rich Lmaoooo.. Tito say fuck the dictionary, fuck the economic establishment, my words and terms are what it is

Jumbodicc

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
$400K is an upper middle class income in my part of the world, especially if you're a W2 with no legal write offs.

gene cisco

Not A BGOL Eunuch
BGOL Investor
Anything short of a Millie a year...you not rich...I'm Poe as shit..brah
Yeah, 400k is upper-middle class outside of NYC and Cali. Pretty hard to fuck that up. Million a year is where it starts though. Networth outside of primary residence is a more powerful indicator of class though. Some folks making 400k and spending 500k a year. :smh: People keep that check to check shit going at all class levels.

Dannyblueyes

Aka Illegal Danny
BGOL Investor
Is 400k a year middle class?

If you just started making that money last month and you're still trying to deal with a car note, mortgage, hospital bill, gambling debt, and a cocaine habit then no. You're still broke like the rest of us.

On the other hand, if you've been making at or about that level for the last 20 years, bought Bitcoin when they were $0.30 a piece, flipped a house near fruitvale BART station, and most of all, resisted The temptations of avocado toast and Starbucks lattes, then yeah your middle classish.

However, if you inherited a bunch of melted down gold teeth from Grandpa Eichman, sold it to buy Amazon stock in 2000, your $400,000 a year 'salary' comes from the dividends, and your job is being a volunteer pipe layer at the center for frustrated milfs, then you are a rich lucky bastard and I hate you.

Tito_Jackson

Truth Teller
Registered
This thread completely exposes the lunacy of some of the people on BGOL. The fact that a person who earns $400K is in the top 1.8% of all US earners and in the top 0.5% of all global earners isn't enough to convince BGOL of the significance of such an amount of money. According to some BGOL, $400K is just OK, not rich. Geesh!!!

This confirms that we are truly spoiled here in the US and that it is almost impossible to have rational financial conversations on BGOL(or the internet) due to the detachment from reality.

Ball on ballers.

Last edited: